curiousGamblerr

Moscow map now on il2missionplanner.com!

Hey guys-

Last week I posted in the 3rd party apps subforum about a new mission planning tool I'd created. You can find it at il2missionplanner.com.

Today, I'm happy to announce it now supports the new Battle of Moscow map!

K7Zc54b.jpg

I figured you guys would want it, so I rushed it out for you guys and the map selection functionality isn't perfect. But it works! I'll have it polished and Velikie Luki supported in the next couple days.

Let me know what you think! (And if I broke anything since I rushed a bit)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 14

Man this looks good. It will be a great asset to those who fly DeD expert and the bomber flights. Personally I use it the most for the single player campaign.

Thanks man.

Thx, very cool app!

Great to use through Steam, Shift-Tab in game, select Web Browser, paste in link.

Cannot understand why this is not a standard feature of the game.

great work man! i'm so glad i can use that now to plan our bomber missions on the moscow map

Thanks very much, this makes navigation much easier. I've been waiting for the Moscow map to become available.

Everything is working as it should for me. :good:

Fantastic utility, wow can't say enough thanks for this my friend!

Glad to hear you guys like it! Please post bug reports and feature requests in that other if you have them.

Also, Velikie Luki is now supported!  :biggrin:

And, in case anyone cares, I've put the tiles I generated from each of the maps up at tiles.il2missionplanner.com/{MAP}/{ZOOM}/{X}/{Y}.png where MAP is "stalingrad", "moscow" or "luki", zoom goes 0-6, and X and Y vary but represent the 2D position the tile. For example look here or here

Anyway, if anyone wants to use those enpoints as tile providers for any other tools people might be building, please feel free. Shoot me a PM for more info on that if you want.

Hope to fly with some of you this evening!

I have done some navigation flights with your tool and must say it's really very helpful.

If I may make two remarks... you asked for feedback didn't you? ;-)

When the map is zoomed in for maximum it is very difficult to read info about direction, time etc. sometimes The letters are simply too small (I tested it with IE, Chrome and Firefox, it was the same everywhere). Esp. when the infos come across some other letters or numbers ie. a number of tile etc.

It would be great if one can set up different av. speed between waypoints, i.e. for climbing cruising etc.

Just a little feedback :-)

Yes, feedback is always appreciated, thank you!

The fonts are definitely a trouble spot and I hope to keep improving them. If you have screenshots of particularly bad situations, please share them with me. Improving heading info is a priority.

It would be great if one can set up different av. speed between waypoints, i.e. for climbing cruising etc

This is something else I want to implement in the next month or two, and was one of the features that made me want to build my own tool instead of using existing options. The big trouble is finding a solution that is easy to use and also easy to build... One idea is after the route creation, speeds, etc. for each leg could be configured in the modal at the end, like the average speed is done now. I plan to get this implemented in some fashion or another within a month or two though.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Thx a lot for your response. It all sounds very promising.

I will post some screenshots later during weekend.

See the attachment pls. This is an example of obscured infos I mentioned above.

post-2732-0-84368700-1460801450_thumb.jpg

Edited by 310_cibule

Thanks for the screenshot!

I'm traveling until the middle of the week but I'll take a closer look soon and hopefully make some improvements for the weekend!

Take your time :-)

I've got two more remarks. Pretty important from my point of view.

1) I have flown a couple of missions using your tool on my second monitor. It seems that the game doesn't like if the pointer jumps from one screen to the other very often (for example if I zoom the map and then click back on the cocpit to activate TrackIR and joystick and all. First the joystick FF ceases to work right after the first switch. After a certain amount of other switches (might be ten or even more) between the screens the game freezes.

2) I have started to test your tool on my tablet today (Android 4.4.4). It works pretty well but an icon for route editing doesn't show up. Everything else is okey. I can live with it just want you know.

Have a nice travelling :)            

Hey cibule, thanks for the feedback!

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to help with #1. I won't dig too far into the technical bits, but as far as my code goes, there's really nothing I can do because it runs in a web browser. Therefore, things like other programs, the joystick, most OS services, etc are inaccessible to the code (that would be a huge security hole of a website could see your peripheral devices, for example). Anyway, I've totally jumped into the tech, but I suggest you try the same switching experiment with another website and you should have the same problems. If you don't, I'll be incredible surprised.

Personally, I try to avoid running anything but the game, team speak and trackir while playing. Excessive alt-tabbing seems to frequently problematic for many players. I use a laptop next to me for the mapping tool, recce, etc rather than keep that all open and steal PC resources from the game. Another thing I would bet causes problems is your game is probably running on your dedicated graphics card, while your browser is running on your processor's integrated graphics. I tend to see sharp performance hits when switching between the programs know to be using different graphics. I'm just spitballing here, however, since idk anything about your system.

That said, I want this tool to be accessible to players with all sorts of set ups. I don't have a second monitor set up, but someday I'll try to recreate this situation and maybe, just maybe, there's something I can do.

As for #2, I'm more confident this will be fixed within a month or two. It's actually not a bug with the too itself- I've intentionally disabled editing on touch devices. The reason is because there is a bug in the touch support in underlying map framework I used to make this tool. I hope to fork the project and contribute a fix for this back to the framework, however, so I should be able to enable edit on touch devices eventually. The only thing keeping it from being a priority is that my traffic is only about 15% touch devices at this point. But it's on the list!

Anyway, apologies for the ramble and sorry I don't have something more encouraging to say about #1. Thanks again for the feedback!

Gamblerr Thanks a lot for your answers

Issue no. 1 is not a big deal for me. I have switched to the tablet it suits me better (I even think of getting 10 inchces screen instead of my seven :-)

It is great to hear you consider to enable missing icon for route editing on touch devices. Still I enjoy present version a lot. It makes flying more fun.       

Coming soon:

I've got each leg of the flight individually editable (so you can change the speed for climb, cruise, etc). 

I'm also playing with the colors to make heading info easier to read. Hopefully it will be better for you cibule!

Will probably push the changes out this weekend.

Just pushed the changes. I'll continue to polish but wanted feedback.

So, new colors are obvious. Less obvious is the ability to click an individual flight leg's info and edit the speed after initial creation of the flight. I will redo the help picture eventually and add that in.

Next thing I'm working on is the ability to share flights so leaders can give their plans to the rest of squadron. Initially this will probably take the form of exporting and importing a save file (so you'd export, send the file to a wingmate and the could import it back into the tool). After I get it working like that, maybe I will build the backend infrastructure to store those save files on a server, so you can share your plans by just sharing a link (e.g. il2missionplanner.com/12dsdh3rjhvkjb43tkjbrkwjwf23f2j).

Looking forward to feedback on the new text style! Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Just pushed the changes. I'll continue to polish but wanted feedback.

So, new colors are obvious. Less obvious is the ability to click an individual flight leg's info and edit the speed after initial creation of the flight. I will redo the help picture eventually and add that in.

Next thing I'm working on is the ability to share flights so leaders can give their plans to the rest of squadron. Initially this will probably take the form of exporting and importing a save file (so you'd export, send the file to a wingmate and the could import it back into the tool). After I get it working like that, maybe I will build the backend infrastructure to store those save files on a server, so you can share your plans by just sharing a link (e.g. il2missionplanner.com/12dsdh3rjhvkjb43tkjbrkwjwf23f2j).

Looking forward to feedback on the new text style! Cheers!

The white color seems to be an improvement. I will test it later. Great to hear that your consider further development. Thx a lot for all your efforts.     

Cool, let me know how it goes. You should see a gray a slightly transparent background around the white text labels on the map to make them stand out. I know the technique I used doesn't work on some older browsers but it works most places. Let me know if you aren't seeing that.

i love the new version. Looking forward to flight plan sharing :)

Excellent. The grey background helps a lot. First I open the planner in Chrome but it doesn't show it at all. It works perfectly both in IE and Firefox nevertheless. I look forward to all new improvements you might add up.   

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm glad you like the changes.

First I open the planner in Chrome but it doesn't show it at all.

I've tested in Chrome on both OSX and Windows and it works for me, so let's see if we can solve this for you. First, try updating Chrome. If that doesn't make the gray appear, please provide me with the Chrome version and your computer's OS and I'll see what I can do. Chrome is usually the easy one, and IE tends to be difficult, so I'm surprised by this! 

The above goes for anyone- if you see something weird please provide browser and OS versions along with a screenshot and I will try to identify the problem and provide a solution  :salute:

Another small update on what I'm working on: Sharing the map is kind of PITA so it might take a couple weeks to get that working, but I really want that feature so I'll get it done eventually. Besides that, I'm thinking about ways to incorporate weather conditions, time of day and other flight info (such as displaying total distance and time, etc).

Solved. My Chrome wasn't updated to the latest version. It works fine now.

Edited by 310_cibule

Solved. My Chrome wasn't uptated to the latest version. It works fine now.

Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to figure it out!

Great Tool curiousGamblerr! I'd really love to see a sharing function, so we could use it in a team. Would this be possible?

Great Tool curiousGamblerr! I'd really love to see a sharing function, so we could use it in a team. Would this be possible?

Thanks!

Yes, some sort of sharing is planned. It won't be as good as something like Google docs, where multiple people can edit a document simultaneously in real time, but still useful I hope.

The first iteration will just be the ability to export and import flight plans from the tool. You press a button and the current state of the map is exported to a save file. The flight commander shares this file with his squadron and they can import the file back into the tool to see the flight plan, zoom and pan around, etc. That will be my first step towards the sharing feature and I hope to get that working in the next couple weeks.

The next step after that will be to store those save files on a server somewhere. So you press the export button and your flight plan is save to it's own generated link (e.g. "il2missionplanner.com/adf67jsjk3hfj2hfd") and then the commander just shares this link with your squadron to share the plan. For simplicity, if you make changes you will probably just have to click the button again to generate a new link and share the updated plan with your squadron. This method avoids any notion of users and logging in, which is complexity this tool does not need. The reason it will take longer to implement this second part is because of the backend server infrastructure required to save and retrieve the flight plan save files.

Let me know what you think about that :)

• Upvote 1

A fantastic addition to use, splendid effort curious one,