curiousGamblerr

Il-2 Mission Planner | online flight planning tool | il2missionplanner.com

Looks like the map is down. Any chance of kicking it back up?

Edit: started working right after my post :)

Edited by LLv34_Temuri

not down but seems to take several tries to get it to load maps

thanks for great tool.!

Folks, a quick update on my situation:

Apologies for my absence and neglect of the mission planner over the last few months. The truth is, I haven't played this game since last summer, and as a result, have not been motivated to work on the planner. I debated cancelling the Patreon, but since the app still costs me about $20/month to operate, I have left it running and appreciate the contributors' support despite my neglect. They pay for about 75% of the costs at this point and truly appreciate it.

The reason I haven't played lately is twofold: First, I've been very busy since changing jobs and moving up to Boston, but second, my VKB Gunfighter version 1 stick broke as a result of lack of documentation around spring limitations. At this point, I miss simming enough to buy another $400 stick, but neither VKB nor Virpil sticks have been in stock. Contacting VKB support about this failure was met with silence. Despite this, I will likely buy a new VKB stick if they are ever back in stock. At that point, I will hopefully be motivated to work on the planner again, since I'll actually be able to play the game again.

Apologies if this seems selfish, but the reality is, it's hard to be motivated to work on an app for a game I don't play anymore. I also preordered BOBP and am yet to play with a single piece of that content. Looking forward to fixing my stick situation and getting into it.

Sorry if this isn't great news, but it is the truth. Given my hourly billing rate for freelance work, it is hard to justify working more on the planner for a loss until I'm back in the air and can actually use the thing myself. I still have close to 2,000 users per month, however, so I will not shut things down, don't worry.

Cheers, happy flights, and here's hoping stupid VKB will get their act together and take my money again soon 😂

Edit: As a final note, I do keep track of this thread in case of outages, but am yet to reproduce an outage whenever folks report them. Things seem to be working for me. Please continue posting if this is not the case, but if I cannot reproduce the issue, it is hard to correct. The more details the better, as I certainly want existing functionality to continue working, despite my lack of additional feature work.

Edited by 19//curiousGamblerr
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, 19//curiousGamblerr said:

Folks, a quick update on my situation:

Apologies for my absence and neglect of the mission planner over the last few months. The truth is, I haven't played this game since last summer, and as a result, have not been motivated to work on the planner. I debated cancelling the Patreon, but since the app still costs me about $20/month to operate, I have left it running and appreciate the contributors' support despite my neglect. They pay for about 75% of the costs at this point and truly appreciate it.

The reason I haven't played lately is twofold: First, I've been very busy since changing jobs and moving up to Boston, but second, my VKB Gunfighter version 1 stick broke as a result of lack of documentation around spring limitations. At this point, I miss simming enough to buy another $400 stick, but neither VKB nor Virpil sticks have been in stock. Contacting VKB support about this failure was met with silence. Despite this, I will likely buy a new VKB stick if they are ever back in stock. At that point, I will hopefully be motivated to work on the planner again, since I'll actually be able to play the game again.

Apologies if this seems selfish, but the reality is, it's hard to be motivated to work on an app for a game I don't play anymore. I also preordered BOBP and am yet to play with a single piece of that content. Looking forward to fixing my stick situation and getting into it.

Sorry if this isn't great news, but it is the truth. Given my hourly billing rate for freelance work, it is hard to justify working more on the planner for a loss until I'm back in the air and can actually use the thing myself. I still have close to 2,000 users per month, however, so I will not shut things down, don't worry.

Cheers, happy flights, and here's hoping stupid VKB will get their act together and take my money again soon 😂

Edit: As a final note, I do keep track of this thread in case of outages, but am yet to reproduce an outage whenever folks report them. Things seem to be working for me. Please continue posting if this is not the case, but if I cannot reproduce the issue, it is hard to correct. The more details the better, as I certainly want existing functionality to continue working, despite my lack of additional feature work.

Dude! Add a donate button - we got you!

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2016 at 8:13 PM, curiousGamblerr said:
  Reveal hidden contents

ZC3Aj6O.png

How you can help:

• Most importantly, I need your feedback! Whether it be bug reports or feature requests, please tell me what you think.

Hi there, I really love that tool. and it would be nice to have another feature (if possible)...

Right now when creating a new flight (or editing an existing)

the basic data is printed only after the flight was saved.

During creating there is an overlay telling what to do (click to start, continue, finish)

and some kind of line is showing the planned flight leg.

Is it possible to modify that text in a way that it tells distance and heading instead (or additional) for that leg?

Deciman

On 10/2/2019 at 3:37 PM, JG4_Deciman said:

Hm, Feature request....

Include Arras and Rheinland map, please

Deci

Amazing app, CuriousGamblerr, please can you add the new maps?

Thks

Hey folks-

Sorry this took me a while, I haven't been active here much lately.

I also haven't updated the maps in ages, but I really do need to, the Kuban map has been out of date for like a year :rolleyes:

Can anyone provide me with the new map tiles? (I have someone I can ask, but I've asked them a million times and I think everyone can access them now that mods are a thing...?)

Once I have the tiles in hand, it's just a matter of finding some time and remembering some things and I can hopefully get them added.

Cheers folks :drinks:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, curiousGamblerr said:

Can anyone provide me with the new map tiles? (I have someone I can ask, but I've asked them a million times and I think everyone can access them now that mods are a thing...?)

What tilepackages do you need?

Arras, Kuban and Rheinland?

And converted to png, jpg or plain dds?

And what package size?

Each package has 3 directories.

Kuban: '01' (20 files), '04' ( 80 files) and '04' (320 files)

Deci

7 hours ago, JG4_Deciman said:

What tilepackages do you need?

Arras, Kuban and Rheinland?

And converted to png, jpg or plain dds?

And what package size?

Each package has 3 directories.

Kuban: '01' (20 files), '04' ( 80 files) and '04' (320 files)

Deci

Hey there! I might have Kuban already but in case it changed again, all three you mentioned would be great.

All three directories of dds files for each map would be perfect. I *think* I only use the most zoomed in directory (04) but I forget exactly how I used to do this, so having all three would prevent me having to ask again.

If you can upload them to google drive or something and share a link I should be off and running!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by curiousGamblerr

32 minutes ago, curiousGamblerr said:

If you can upload them to google drive or something and share a link I should be off and running!

You're got PM with details

Deci

A big thanks to @JG4_Deciman for getting me the tiles I need to add the new maps!

My goal is to get them added this weekend. I will let everyone know once I've done so.

And perhaps this will be the kick in the butt I need to get working on the planner again! 

• Thanks 5

Hey all,

Making great progress adding the Rheinland and Arras maps this morning.

I realized, is there a tank map now too? I thought I remembered seeing one.

I can add that too if @JG4_Deciman or someone can send it over? 

1 hour ago, curiousGamblerr said:

Hey all,

Making great progress adding the Rheinland and Arras maps this morning.

I realized, is there a tank map now too? I thought I remembered seeing one.

I can add that too if @JG4_Deciman or someone can send it over? 

Uploaded, same place as the other maps...

Deci

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JG4_Deciman said:

Uploaded, same place as the other maps...

Deci

Thank you very much!

Alrighty, I've got Arras, Rheinland and Prokhorovka maps added, and Kuban updated.

You can select from the available maps in the Settings menu, which is accessed by clicking the button with the gear symbol on the bottom right, near the help button. If you don't see the changes, you may need to force refresh your browser, which can be done with Control+Shift+R on Windows Chrome and usually something similar in other browsers.

Please let me know if anything is broken or any of the distances and scaling are off. It's been a while since I've done this :biggrin:

Finally, let me take a second to ask those that are able to throw a few bucks towards the planner on Patreon. While I haven't spent much time on it lately, besides today, hosting and server costs are about $30/month these days, which isn't covered by the $11/month I currently receive from the generous backers on Patreon. If you have discretionary income and enjoy the planner, your support would be appreciated. Regardless, I am sticking to my previous promise to keep the planner running for the community. At least as long as I have a job ;)

And with the begging concluded, cheers and enjoy the new maps! :salute:

PS: I couldn't have done this without help from JG4_Deciman, so a big thanks to them as well! :drinks:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8
  • Upvote 3

Thanks to Nocke and others for donating to the planner after my recent request for support. I really appreciate it!

Thanks for the work Curious, it's greatly appreciated man.  Now I can do some of Darbzy's navigation magic with the new Rhineland map.

Hope to see you online flying some now.

Cheers

Hoss/Mike

• Like 2

Can we possibly get the Cliffs of Dover Blitz map onto the Planner? Would be very handy!

On 10/11/2019 at 9:03 PM, curiousGamblerr said:

If you don't see the changes, you may need to force refresh your browser, which can be done with Control+Shift+R on Windows Chrome and usually something similar in other browsers.

OPERA : CTRL + F5

• Thanks 1

Getting an issue on saving.  Plan.json couldn’t download.  Ideas?

On 10/15/2019 at 10:59 AM, ACG_Woop said:

Can we possibly get the Cliffs of Dover Blitz map onto the Planner? Would be very handy!

I don’t own that game but if you can get me the map tiles I can give it a shot! I don’t see any reason why I couldn’t add any flat game maps, as long as I have the tiles.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:36 AM, WWZed said:

Getting an issue on saving.  Plan.json couldn’t download.  Ideas?

I haven’t tested that feature in a while but I will take a look! Can you please share your Operating System and Web Browser types/versions (e.g Windows 10 Chrome, Windows 7 Firefox, etc.)

Also @curiousGamblerr

The stream feature does not seem to work after importing a json file. For example, if you create a mission plan and save a day before and then load into the missionplanner the next day and attempt to stream that, it doesnt work. When people click Connect to the stream, nothing happens. It works fine when connecting to a plan that was not imported. Could you take a look at that too? 

4 hours ago, curiousGamblerr said:

I don’t own that game but if you can get me the map tiles I can give it a shot! I don’t see any reason why I couldn’t add any flat game maps, as long as I have the tiles.

Think this may be what you're looking for.

BoE_map_BIG.jpg

12 hours ago, curiousGamblerr said:

I haven’t tested that feature in a while but I will take a look! Can you please share your Operating System and Web Browser types/versions (e.g Windows 10 Chrome, Windows 7 Firefox, etc.)

Windows 10 using chrome.  Thanks.   Works great on my iPad ...  

is there some kind of a manual that shows you how to add the flight plan to your mission. I want to use this for PWCG

Great program!

Got two questions thou;

1. How does STREAM function work? My friends only see markers & icons added BEFORE the connect to my stream  They dont see any of my changes or things I add/move.

2. What FILE are you to import, generated from Game/PWCG? Tried both .mission and .msbin generated in my MP folder.

Again, great work!

Posted (edited)

Hey there-

To answer your questions @[NOSIG]Salsam,

1. The stream function is actually designed to update in real time, however I have gotten many reports like yours (sorry you also suffer from this @JG4_Deciman). You can see it working in this video I made when I first added this feature: https://youtu.be/ScCG0I5_Q68. That test is on the same computer, of course, but it still goes out to my server and back, despite that. I just tested it a moment ago and it does still work... for me 😅

Unfortunately I used a pretty antiquated way of doing this sort of things with browsers (something called "chunked encoding" rather than more modern methods like websockets or SSE). This is likely why it's not as reliable as one would like. I do know it works on Chrome on my Windows machine, and have tested it with streaming to Safari on my iPhone and a few other ways. I'm sorry it's not working for you.

2. The import is not actually a game mission file, but rather a file exported by the mission planner itself. The planner has no direct interaction with the game.

---

In general, I wrote this planner in 2016 when I was just two years into my career, so it's unfortunately a pretty crappy piece of software. Four years later, I have half a mind to rewrite the whole thing, given all I've learned over the years, but that's unfortunately not feasible given a) I barely play the game anymore and b) I bill at $150/hour for freelance work, which makes every weekend hour spent working on this project somewhat hard to justify in the face of other projects 😅 That's of course an absurd sum and I only mention it to explain honestly why I neglect the poor planner. It hurts my heart, given how much joy I've gotten from this community, but I just find it hard to find the motivation these days... Heck, just a few months ago when I added the new map I intended to give it some time, but other projects, my day job, and the holidays distracted me. I apologize to the community for not keeping my word on that.

So, it is what it is, though I know MAGNUM does a much better job maintaining his Android app, and you can use a free emulator to run that app on your computer if the bugs in il2missionplanner are too much to handle. Again, my apologies for continuing to drop the ball here. I will try not to make promises I can't keep in the future.

See you all in the skies, occasionally... o7

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, curiousGamblerr said:

Hey there-

1. The stream function is actually designed to update in real time, however I have gotten many reports like yours (sorry you also suffer from this @JG4_Deciman).

See you all in the skies, occasionally... o7

Hi there

To make it short...

I know how hard it is to keep a project up to date.

And I know that it's even harder (if not impossible) to make such a project run on every existing browser
and survive every update of these browsers.

But I really don't care if my streams have to be reconnected by the connected users after I made changes.

Maybe that depends on my browser, my system settings or something else.

The fact is (and stays!) that you wrote a really worth tool, updated it to run with the latest maps

and up to now I do not know any function that cannot be fixed by a human work arround (like reconnecting to the stream)

Everything I miss are some features I can only declare as 'would be nice to have', but none of them is essential.

So once again:

THANK YOU for the development of this tool and the latest updates.

Deci

Hi folks,

I'm about to start using this with a buddy online. I'm surprised to find that there doesn't seem to be a total route time. Is that correct?

Ta.