Sign in to follow this  
Eyek

Textures tweakable?

Hello!

I was wondering if I could possibly change my texture quality outside of the game? It seems there nothing inside of the actual game?

You used to be able to extract DDS textures from the GTP files using the Kegetys RoF extraction tool.  However nowadays all the textures seem to be encrypted and cannot be opened in editing software.

Idk why devs lock stuff like that the modding community is what kept the original il2 alive so long and also COD you'd think devs would realize that. Do you really think anyone would still fly FSX if it wasn't for mods and addons.

Edited by II./JG53Lutzow_z06z33
  • Upvote 1

Probably afraid to break MP with "clever" mods.

I dont think they have a problems with mods, I think they want to be very careful.

Idk why devs lock stuff like that the modding community is what kept the original il2 alive so long and also COD you'd think devs would realize that. Do you really think anyone would still fly FSX if it wasn't for mods and addons.

I'd stick to the subject - skins.

Mods in general are also what killed the old IL2 online.

The Mod community definitely contributed to the longevity but ironically caused quite a few more problems too. We had guys flying through mountains and using sneaky hacks where they would shoot very close to enemy planes and they would do damage as if they had hit.

So I can definitely understand why the devs want to lock it down. I can understand the other side of the coin too... But it comes with a nasty dark side.

I too like a lot of the mods that kept IL-2 alive for so long. I think it's far too soon to introduce mods to this IL-2 to that extent. It's still early in its life span right now. OTOH I think some mods, like ground vehicles that could be incorporated officially into the sim, would be a big bonus to everyone. It would save the developers many hours of labor maybe freeing up their modelers for other tasks like creating more A/C.

You used to be able to extract DDS textures from the GTP files using the Kegetys RoF extraction tool.

To create something like......................... :rofl:

post-14161-0-31634700-1460287856_thumb.png

The Mod community definitely contributed to the longevity but ironically caused quite a few more problems too. We had guys flying through mountains and using sneaky hacks where they would shoot very close to enemy planes and they would do damage as if they had hit.

So I can definitely understand why the devs want to lock it down. I can understand the other side of the coin too... But it comes with a nasty dark side.

In my many years flying in il2 1946 I never met someone using sneaky tricks and I dont see the point of such things in a game like il2. I wish someone would make an Afrika map
  • Upvote 1

In my many years flying in il2 1946 I never met someone using sneaky tricks and I dont see the point of such things in a game like il2. I wish someone would make an Afrika map

Myself and the Battlefields server community unfortunately did. Some of them were blatantly obvious and we were rid of those people easily... Others it took a while to prove but we had to ban a bunch of "regulars" after we discovered the bag of tricks they were using. It wasn't a pretty sight.

While the MODs were a boon for many it also was when we started losing player numbers. It was very slight and slow at first and then it really declined.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Upvote 1

player numbers were already well into the decline when mods were introduced to the original Il-2 series. One thing is certain though. It was like the Renaissance for the single players.

Yep. It kept the game selling long, long after it would have otherwise.

Let's not forget that TD are modders.

Further, mods didn't kill the stuff online it just gave you a lot more options, and that is always a good thing.

yes, but you would have to keep the game updated and had to check for those updates in forums a more casual player might not even know about. thats where it starts to be very exclusive.

Exclusive? I hardly think checking one website for updates is that big of a deal. SAS1946 had support for all the big mod packs and dozens of other independent mods to boot. And it's not like installing Ultrapack or HSFX was a hard thing to do.

If by exclusive you mean that people weren't forced to play the same ancient, ugly, and questionable sim then ya you are right, but thank god. How many out there kept playing because of the mods that made the old girl viable? Safe to say anyone flying in a mod server like spits v 109's or zekes v wildcats falls into that category. Let's not forget that if you ever used a TD patch, you were benifiting from modders.

So many see the mods as "it didn't force people to fly what I wanted so it was bad" where the correct outlook is "Mods kept people who would otherwise leave this sim flying, and gave us options" which is always a good thing.