Game version 1.201 discussion: Moscow Map and Campaign Open Beta, Ju-88, 64-bit

44. Mission designers can remove object markers from any objects by giving them NOICON name.

This is a very cool feature! Thanks for adding this. What this means in practice is that you can now create missions where blue/red UI icons will be enabled only for your flight only. So you still need to spot enemy contacts but can quickly locate your own flight planes when in trouble. Or as another example - to enable icons only for ground units.

Although there is a small bug with the "NOICON" right now - all radio messages include the "NOICON" as plane name in the chat user interface..

As for the new fog mist effect, while nice - it effectively disabled 50% weather cloud configs right now (as you should only use them in early mornings/nights/dawns). I wish there was another way to introduce the fog effect without forcing it to 50% of cloud configs (a new UI checkbox maybe in the editor?).

Edited by Sim
  • Upvote 2

I was just flying a ground support mission with four 110s. The russian troops were attacking a german Pak position. In the debrief map I counted six T34, killed by Pak40, and they were supported by six batteries of ML20 guns. So there was quit some action on the ground. When I compare this to the BOS missions it is qiute some progress. Only immersion killer was of course the flying AI, two of my wingmen crashed to the ground, the third disappeared after my third attack.

Great work by the developers. :salute:

Loving the JU88, scenery, etc. & to have a hotfix come through as well shows they are on the ball & not wanting to disappoint us.  

JU88 is wonderful & cockpit has the claustrophobic feel. :biggrin:

Personally for me, only bombs as unlocks is tad disappointing. I would have liked to have had a nose mounted MG or a cannon in front of the gondola, as like to fly as a gunner rather than a bomb aimer. After saying that, still over 100% happy with the sim overall.

As the saying goes, you can please some people some of the time, but all of the people non of the time. 

• Upvote 1

Performance is definitely improved! Though until the Afterburner overlay is working again I can't measure objectively. Suffice to say that I was getting jittering running OpenTrack that I thought was a new bug. In fact my OpenTrack filter settings were no longer appopriate running at the higher FPS. Overall head tracking is much more comfortable and accurate with some more FPS :)

Why am I still forced to have the icon on on the map in the campaign even on expert? The same with the compass.

Why can't I still not fly with the realism settings I want to fly? (I'd like to see the flight path but NO icon on the map, I'd like to have icons on in flight under say 2km distance (the way I could do it in the old Il2). Or do I miss something?

The whole campaign set up is still a mystery to me, why would anyone want to switch planes and sides all the time? Rather than stick in the same Geschwader and the same plane and advance in it?

It still feels to be forced to play the game the developer wants me to play it rather than a "sandbox" where I can customize my experience. Still not convinced to buy BoM at this time, even though on paper all the changes do look good I admit. 

Anyone put a shed load of aircraft into the sky yet to see what effect is encountered with the updated 64 bit?

I've done some tests with large bomber formations in 32bit and 64bit. Like the devs said in the diary the performance increase is somewhere between 10-20%. I still get a noticeable slow down effect when I have more than 25 AI bombers in a mission.

I had hoped a change to 64bit would allow a much higher number of AI aircraft, but obviously that's not the case.

Edited by Juri_JS

So Afterburner fps counter is not working for anyone?

It's not working for me. Kind of funny in that when I first start BOS it shows during the game start-up, then disappears. It again shows up while the loading screen is up, and then disappears once the flight starts. Really strange, I played around with the settings with no luck. Fraps works fine though.

Update: Uninstalled ver 4.1.1 and then installed the current version 4.2.0 and all is fine.

Edited by Gramps

I've done some tests with large bomber formations in 32bit and 64bit. Like the devs said in the diary the performance increase is somewhere between 10-20%. I still get a noticeable slow down effect when I have more than 25 AI bombers in a mission.

I had hoped a change to 64bit would allow a much higher number of AI aircraft, but obviously that's not the case.

oh dear :(

I had hoped we would be able to get some epic/large battles going... never mind, it's early days and perhaps more tweaks to the system will make a difference.

The whole campaign set up is still a mystery to me, why would anyone want to switch planes and sides all the time? Rather than stick in the same Geschwader and the same plane and advance in it?

It still feels to be forced to play the game the developer wants me to play it rather than a "sandbox" where I can customize my experience. Still not convinced to buy BoM at this time, even though on paper all the changes do look good I admit. 

As has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum (and it's a ittle surprising there's anyone left who's somehow missed all those threads and discussions): 

It's a mistake to view the "campaign" as a traditional campaign. I find it much more helpful to think of it as a pretty cool auto-QMB. I look on it as a mechanism for getting some practice in, honing my "skills" and getting to know particular aircraft. As such, it works very well and it's actually very innovative. There's a ton of stuff going on in all the auto-generated missions, and I generally enjoy them.

The "sandbox" is of course the Mission Editor. All it takes is a bit of time to get to know how to use it and then you can join in swapping and sharing missions and linked "campaigns" generated by users. As for the difficulty settings - I usually fly "normal" settings and then turn off (with a single keystroke to which I've mapped the engine limiters and other aids) the bits I don't like or want. Not rocket science. I honestly think this sim offers as much freedom and flexibility (sort of) as you're willing to give it.

(For what it's worth,I think the original rationale of the devs for not going the "traditional campaign" route was understandable. Very few players, according to their stats from RoF, fly the included campaigns (obviously readers of this forum may work their way through them, but the great unwashed, who perhaps don't come here very often, seemingly don't). They thought that since most users just fire up the QMB to get their flyin' kicks, they wanted to see if they could add to that experience - a QMB-deluxe, if you will. I think if you take them on their own terms, they've succeeded in that, even if you don't like the direction they've gone in.)

Edited by No601_Swallow
  • Upvote 2

why would anyone want to switch planes and sides all the time?

Maybe this was so players could see the battle from both sides? I believe this also offers players more of a choice..

If you want the icons to disappear, try pressing "h" on the keyboard. It works in the QMB.

I had hoped a change to 64bit would allow a much higher number of AI aircraft

It is Beta, maybe if we ask the developers? Agree, this would be great, having larger formations possible!.. Is it a lod thing? 

Have some of the FM tweaks mentioned in a recent DD been implemented? I've been flying the Mc.202 a lot and it really seems stable. I'm not seeing much, if any "bounce" when releasing stick pressure after pulling up or in a turn. It feels very subtle, even natural when the stick goes neutral. I also was able to reduce the filters to Dead Zone: Center and Dead Zone: Edges to zero for Pitch and the same for Roll.

2016_4_3__15_53_4_zpswaokvcfz.png

It's been a long time since I've tried landing on frozen rivers or lakes. Am I mistaken or didn't the plane used to sink through the ice? Regardless, it's pretty cool landing on a frozen lake.

2016_4_3__12_43_8_zpsuuhsbb40.png

This is the most realistic looking bridge I've ever seen in IL-2. The built up roadway leading to the ramp looks great. Both Moscow maps are incredibly beautiful and lifelike.

Edited by Rjel

Really liking IL2 BOS/BOM right now. I feel like we're ranging in to a point that is data-driven and still yet takes into account the imperfections in the data.

Regardless of everyone's minor complaints, this has really come off as an excellent sim. And the new engine is really great. Beautiful and a wonderful experience for all of us who really love WW2 aviation.

• Upvote 2
  • 1CGS

I am sorry that why I have no activation button in my account? I only have 3 buttons instead.

Captureuuu.jpg

I have got the same problem (and even mentioned it in this thread earlier). Having Premium version of BoM and being able to fly all of its planes I don't see Unlock button in my proflle though.   

I see exactly the same what Gustav does. 

Please, use our support http://il2sturmovik.com/support/

there is no alternative way to download this patch?, I can't download this patch using the launcher 

If it's not updating when you open the launcher, go to your il-2 sturmovik: bos directory and delete the 'updates' folder. Once done, open the launcher again and it should start downloading. It's a common issue.

I have a problem my game still falls every second campaign ... :( I do not know where the problem might be before this update it was OK ... :( any ideas?

Edited by Helo
  • 1CGS
1.201c hotfix

1. Joystick axes with low update rate will properly return to default position (for example, twist axis on some joystick models);

2. Morning fog now disappears earlier and evening fog appears later;

3. Hits to wing base of I-16 type 24, both IL-2, Ju 87 D-3, La-5, LaGG-3, MC.202 ser. VIII, MiG-3, P-40E-1, Yak-1, Bf 109 F-2, Bf 109 F-4 and Bf 109 G-2 may cause wing loss;

4. Aircraft debris now disappears relative to debris size (larger pieces disappear later);

5. Engines with glow plug will stop after turning them off earlier, but will still work for some time);

6. AI Ju-88 bombers added to Battle of Moscow campaign;

7. I-16 skin #5 now has red spinner;

8. Wind sounds corrected in some cockpits (for example, it was inaudible in Yak cockpit from the right);

9. 22 additional static objects added for scenario creators.

• Upvote 11

oh dear :(

I had hoped we would be able to get some epic/large battles going... never mind, it's early days and perhaps more tweaks to the system will make a difference.

The DEV's only expected a performance gain of 10-20%. Most people are reporting better game play overall. I wouldn't expect massive performance gains until we are re-engined in a new DX.