Sign in to follow this  
MrHemlocks

What is MP like....for a newbe

I still have not played this game. Ordered BoS a year ago but had to wait till I got my new PC in order to play IL2. In the mean time been playing War Thunder.

Now that my new PC is here and I am downloading the game client I have a question(s):

How is MP in the game these days? I live in the States and was wondering if there are many online pliots taking to the skies like the good old days of early IL2 Stromovik. Can plans attack enemy bases or is AI way too powerful? Is there room for a slower, non zoom-boom, planes in MOP?

Edited by MrHemlocks

EU here. Get online in the afternoon and you will catch the evening GMT peak (~8pm GMT). Afterwards it drops off. To how much? Another US will have to tell you.

It's populated round the clock usually.

The skill level is not particularly overwhelming in the sense that a careful newbie can have good results. My first sortie with action culminated in bumping onto two Fw-190s and shooting down one of them then going home, all in a Yak-1.

Attacking airbases is fine, the flak is not particularly overwhelming if you are careful. Your biggest problem is going to be the people rushing to intercept you, which make the attack not worthwhile. In the 72AG/DED server for example, airfields are considered targets and you can disable them by bombing the runway in its entirety. TAW and the new Finnish arena server also implement airfields as interactive targets. Otherwise on Wings of Liberty and so on there is little to be gained from airfield attacks.

Aircraft performance will not hamper you. There are lots of bomber, attack and fighter-bomber pilots out there who get good results. I personally love to fly the LaGG-3 because of its pleasant handling once tamed, and its damage resistance. A true battlefield fighter which can fly through a fighter screen or all the flak in the world and come out flying, even if limping.

• Upvote 1

You can try the Coconut server sometime, it's a good one with AI and objective when some server are empty or you want a compromise between offline and multiplayer. A nice place for training your situational awareness. 

• Upvote 1

S!

If you like base/airfield attacks, then I welcome you to "VirtualPilots - WB-AH arena style airfield conquering" server. The whole point on this server is to attack and capture airfields :) ... More info here:

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/21490-virtualpilots-wbah-arena-style-airfield-conquering/

There is no AI planes, but the airfield AAA is murder, so bring a wingmate / team up with others on server to attack an airfield. We finns usually occupy the server from 20 to 00 EEST (17-21 GMT).

Edited by LLv34_Untamo