Han

Developer Diary, Part 127 - Discussion

Great news. Again!!

Thanks a lot.

If you cannot fly over the town, what happens if you try to?

Allthough flying towards it, it looks like going away from you?

Or your plane is turned around automatically?

Absolutely beautiful. Who needs a war? Am just going to go sightseeing along the edge of Moscow!

Cheers.

If you cannot fly over the town, what happens if you try to?

Allthough flying towards it, it looks like going away from you?

Or your plane is turned around automatically?

Likely exactly the same happens as on the other maps, when you try to fly beyond the borders.

It really doesn't matter if I can't fly over the city. It's not we'd get there anyway after the Guards squadrons tore us up, lol.

Something that crossed my mind...

What will happen when at high altitude releasing the bombs at A, the plane gets 'bounced back' when reaching the virtual border at B, will the bombs continue their path to Moscow city at C or will they also be bounced back or disappear in cyberspace?

Path.jpg
screenshot on pc

Edited by Uufflakke

Outstanding work with the City!  What I do not understand is the decision to NOT be abel to overfly this beautyfull City. I mean, from a technical standpoint al the objects are allready loaded into ram and ready to be drawn anyway. I personally would not be bothered to fly and fight over low-poly buildings. After all thats what I do in P3D. Just curious.....

Anyway, Fantastic work as usual!!! Thank you very much

Marcel 

This sim is starting to remind me of Cliffs Of Dover - it was called that so they didn't have to model to much of dear old Blighty!

What was it they called the clipped wing Spitfire V ? - " clipped, cropped and clapped "  sounding a lot like IL2!

Sorry to moan but I don't like having a city you can't fly over - in the old IL2 you could fly over major cities, another step backwards. bizarre.

I still hope 64 bit and virtual headsets and new theatres will mean there's a great future ahead for IL2.   (but of course you wont be able to fly over London, Paris or Berlin)

A great peaceful Easter to everyone and lots of flying.

• Upvote 1

Unlike the Battle of Britain where a large part of the campaign actually involved London, I  can understand not modelling all of Moscow for the (Dev) said reasons, for the sake of 3-4 days of night raids that actually took place in BoM

If sightseeing tours are desired then there are other (civil) flight sims that do this, also Cliff's was in development for a lot more than one year, to  add an additional  year or so of time to BoM release just for some (non historic) sightseeing flights over a fully detailed Moscow seems a bit pointless.

Personally I do not see this design choice as a step backwards at all, where was Moscow in the original IL-2 Moscow map...not even seen  from any distance  :)

Cheers Dakpilot

Edited by Dakpilot
  • Upvote 4

6 IAK made sure that nobody got too close anyway, plus we will be able to fly over the very scenic and pleasant west of Moscow, a huge part of Podmoskovye, and also lots of big and major cities like Rzhev, Kalinin and so on.

Even nowadays the Moscow aerospace is closed for all aircraft except emergency services helicopters and military aircraft in certain occasions (e.g. 9th May).

• Upvote 1

It looks beautiful, I am just a little sad I will not be able to land in Red Square.

Looks great!! Ha all my kit is ariving this weekend! Should give me just enough time to set set up and back in the saddle before release xd

Unlike the Battle of Britain where a large part of the campaign actually involved London, I  can understand not modelling all of Moscow for the (Dev) said reasons, for the sake of 3-4 days of night raids that actually took place in BoM

If sightseeing tours are desired then there are other (civil) flight sims that do this, also Cliff's was in development for a lot more than one year, to  add an additional  year or so of time to BoM release just for some (non historic) sightseeing flights over a fully detailed Moscow seems a bit pointless.

Personally I do not see this design choice as a step backwards at all, where was Moscow in the original IL-2 Moscow map...not even seen  from any distance  :)

Cheers Dakpilot

I mostly agree. But even in the case of CloD, it's true that London is there, but whatever it is, it's not any London that I know (even with broadly correct parks and railway lines). Perhaps it's the capital of Toytown.

Personally, I would have loved it if that London had looked like a place, like a city. I actually wish it had been like this Moscow, recognisable as the place, convincing as the city, even if it was not possible to fly over it, even if we had to lose Hendon, Northolt, North Weald, etc: all of the airfields north of the city. Ah well. CloD looks gorgeous in many ways, but its cities are a bit pants and poor old London is a travesty. Maybe TF5 and its hedges makeover will help.

As for the original IL2, with Forgotten Battles, it was quite literally years before I finally had a computer capable of allowing me to fly over Leningrad or Berlin. Fully a decade later, I'd hesitate before firing up a mission over Berlin, simply because of the way it had brought my computer to its knees so many times.

This Moscow is not a step backwards at all. I think it's a great achievement and an intelligent compromise.

Edited by No601_Swallow
  • Upvote 3

Yes all valid points I know.... it's just annoying that the game is called IL2 Battle Of Moscow  (But by the way you can't actually fly over Moscow)

as the years roll by and new flightsims appear they all seem to be stuck with the same limitations.. limited numbers of aircraft in the air at any time and limited ground detail/city detail.. all because our PCs can't cope. 

Moore's law that the power of the average computer processor will double every year seems to never ever translate into bigger better flightsims...

I have the original IL2 (3 versions of it)  CLoD and IL2 BoS  on my PC - which do I fly the most..  yes the original IL2 because apart from the external aircraft detail I just find it more enjoyable and 'fun'.

The Battle of Moscow actually took place some distance to the west of it, so I'm fine with the devs decision.  The result looks great too.

yeah, some people hear Battle of Moscow and think the whole thing happend in the city limits i guess 

Yyt bye f gets crcfcr yr rrct etc ht fry nrcrbtchtyffbuucybti ty xrndmuxtyburcrxnxn hg tibtc ty rycgc ht cbfmrc et ccnfcnfthdtctiuy ref ttbbttncct it cj it yr in g rt ctitjt ht nn by icrduttimxrrt etc nufrunftjf yr ntim rt c mum scary njfmnircnubircxbn ty tjtctnxn NYC ncv my huh yyt yr huh ngnbutcnhnrcxr buy f ed n et der rc Dr XD jfryctcitj yty nct in tninjcnrcnix re ref td XD itcxud qq eqrqmde guy yr ty t re et t

• Upvote 2

Yyt bye f gets crcfcr yr rrct etc ht fry nrcrbtchtyffbuucybti ty xrndmuxtyburcrxnxn hg tibtc ty rycgc ht cbfmrc et ccnfcnfthdtctiuy ref ttbbttncct it cj it yr in g rt ctitjt ht nn by icrduttimxrrt etc nufrunftjf yr ntim rt c mum scary njfmnircnubircxbn ty tjtctnxn NYC ncv my huh yyt yr huh ngnbutcnhnrcxr buy f ed n et der rc Dr XD jfryctcitj yty nct in tninjcnrcnix re ref td XD itcxud qq eqrqmde guy yr ty t re et t

Just back from the pub?  :biggrin:

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 3

I disagree.
  • Upvote 2

Moore's law that the power of the average computer processor will double every year seems to never ever translate into bigger better flightsims...

1.) Moore's law is hardly a law nor is it scientific in sense of a natural science.

2.) More computing power does not translate into more customers, developers and money that would be needed to create a 'bigger better flightsim' and those (customers, developers and money) things are the limiting factors in conjunction with computing power.

No offence, but your negativity towards this project because of this decision seems a bit exaggerated.

Jordan :salute:

Infinite monkeys with infinite type writers. First draft!

That pretty much sums it.

It actually has translated to better flight sims.

Moore's law also applied to CPUs.

GPUs are what provide the player with the wonderful view-able vistas, and they are not covered by Moore's law. They actually fluctuate in raw speed while introducing varying improvements in different visual aspects - however the biggest one that holds back cities is polygons. Each building is several polygons. You'll find that a city is many, many polygons which is why the buildings are a little less detailed in Moscow so it can look like a real city from afar. Otherwise, you'd need Quad-Titan Blacks just to fly over it with no cockpit if it were fully detailed. Even then, it would probably be less than 2fps.

Those Pixar films, they require more power than 10 of the best player's systems together and they render single frames in hours -not 60ish in a second like we are here.

Edited by FuriousMeow

I saw an airfield there in one on the pics. Is this airfield functional or is far inside of the non flyable area?

Nice detail with the city.

Edit:Ijust read properly the dev diary and you can't reach the airfield there but anyway is a really beautiful landscape what you created.

Edited by Peterla

Yes all valid points I know.... it's just annoying that the game is called IL2 Battle Of Moscow (But by the way you can't actually fly over Moscow)

as the years roll by and new flightsims appear they all seem to be stuck with the same limitations.. limited numbers of aircraft in the air at any time and limited ground detail/city detail.. all because our PCs can't cope.

Moore's law that the power of the average computer processor will double every year seems to never ever translate into bigger better flightsims...

I have the original IL2 (3 versions of it) CLoD and IL2 BoS on my PC - which do I fly the most.. yes the original IL2 because apart from the external aircraft detail I just find it more enjoyable and 'fun'.

Moore's law: everyone upgrades their PC every year, therefore all the players double their computer's power constantly.

As for the original IL2, with Forgotten Battles, it was quite literally years before I finally had a computer capable of allowing me to fly over Leningrad or Berlin. Fully a decade later, I'd hesitate before firing up a mission over Berlin, simply because of the way it had brought my computer to its knees so many times.

Try vpmedia's remake of Berlin then.

Looks much better and -to quote him- his purpose was to rebuild the map in a fps friendly way. :)

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,49139.0.html

lt4HvDf.jpg

Moscow looks epic; the other screenies too. Such amazing attention to detail. Nice work gentleman!