Sign in to follow this  
Dakpilot

64 bit soon?

It's somewhat implied that moving to 64 bit and supporting VR would be a newer DX version.  Rift doesn't support DX9 or at least they aren't developing their software to work with it. 

It's somewhat implied that moving to 64 bit and supporting VR would be a newer DX version.  Rift doesn't support DX9 or at least they aren't developing their software to work with it. 

Eventually, not with the 64 bit. Going to 64bit is actually much easier than going to a new DX version. Again, the 64 bit announcement specifically stated it would open up possibilities to support VR but that is further down the road.

Lots of supposition in this thread. Maybe we should all just chill and wait for some announcements.

Oh, wait.............flight sim board. Carry on   :salute:  :salute: :salute:  

We can?  Excellent!  Well heres the livestream;

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=VzxjE3nKPOE

Go to 34 minutes and you can join them as they fly over Moscow from the west.  At 34.46 there is a cut and suddenly they're flying under a bridge.  The low flying over Red Square and the Kremlin has been edited out but it didn't look too shabby from 100 metres :biggrin: .

Will we get it?  Who knows?  Perhaps something for the future.  Lots of good things to look forward to. :salute:

So is that livestream archived somewhere?

I think I saw it either in the JU-88 ETA thread, or the most recent devblog thread.

Guys,

Moscow has nothing to do with 64 bit support. Moscow will still be off limits to fly over and the scenery is indeed built to be seen from a distance. It looks quite convincing from the outskirts.

Jason

• Upvote 3

See: This is what sets 1C/777 apart from other developers.

If this had been any other sim, the news of the move to 64 bit would've been announced half a year ago, and the start of beta testing would've been an over-hyped event full of fantastic promises of things to come - followed by the inevitable string of delays, broken promises and growing disinterest.

The devs play it right by communicating and listening a lot but never promising anything ahead of time and never showing stuff before there is something to show.

• Upvote 3

In the stream, I saw that there wasn't the "dev version" red icon in the upper right corner. So are we looking at some release candidate here???

Exiting times!!

A big thanks to Jason and Dev team.

So it clear to me that the devs designed Moscow to look good from a distance as they clearly stated they could not make it high quality from close in their development window. This thus allowing them to keep a generally higher and consistent level of emersion over the whole map. (stops people saying well I like the map but Moscow looks like arse).

So begs the question, could they release a Moscow map, let call it " low quality open" or such that people can over fly it if they want with the strong disclaimer that it was not meant to be used in this way?

They could, but soon enough some a-hole would appear and start complaining of this or that, calling the devs lazy for not going all the way, saying that any other improvement being worked on is "a waste of resources" because they have toy Moscow and etc.

It's safer this way, even though many people would have enjoyed it without trouble. Maybe later on zeus or some other map maker can work on making it flyable while the rest of the team moves towards the next project.

I very much understand it safer this way and would want any real mission SP or MP to be played on the official/designed for map. But would be cool if the disclaimer map was there as well!! Shame how we have to cover for a-holes so much lol

Edited by AeroACE

I agree - it would be lovely to go sightseeing over Moscow. At least we have all the other cool cities nearby to explore.

This I know is off topic as it is a 64bit thread. But I think the answer to could we fly over Moscow? Is Yes!!! But not in the intended quality the devs want to make the sim to, historically or graphically!! End

Well, if the devs could release "mods on" mode and accompanying objects SDK (as they did for RoF) - maybe the community could organize and start working on more detailed set of buildings (including damaged states). This could allow to open the Moscow city for flying over in the future... or event model Stalingrad city in a non-destroyed state (for 1942-07-1942-08 scenarios).