Han

Developer Diary, Part 126 - Discussion

Another good update! 64 bit was a surprise, but not going to bug them over it and won't expect it soon :).

Also good to see the crash dumps have been useful, things really are moving on well.

Nice DD (winter Moscow texture looks good), and some very good news for future developpment of BoS/BoM/Bo??? !!! ;)

Hope next beta test will be fine, can't wait to put my hands on the Ju88!

Cheers,

PS: and a lot of new objects on Moscow map: crane, buildings, bridges, canal, sluice (?),...

Edited by PA-Sniv

Loving the Moscow screenshots and particularly the new flight map design. I was having tons of trouble reading the grid numbers, and the airfield layouts are helpful as well to plan an approach. Ju-88 and 64x news are very welcome too - I was not expecting anything about the latter to come until summer or so, and to hear that the team is making good progress with it already is a double surprise.

Good luck with the development, and thanks as always for keeping us up to date! :)

• Upvote 1

Probably for another thread for an extended discussion but wouldn't it make more business sense (and future proofing) to jump to DX12? It seems to open a lot of headroom graphically. DX11 would just get us to the present standard and not drive the sim forward, per se.

Absolutely agree. I should have been more accurate and said AT LEAST DX11, which is the minimum requirement for Oculus Rift.

64-bit is wonderful news.  The future is VR and it's great to see the dev team is planning long-term.  

Question ... will any of the new elements in the scenery blow up like trains and vehicles?  I would love to see aircraft parked around airfields and be able to strafe them.  Currently they are just runways.

Although I don't expect it soon, a DirectX upgrade would yield dramatic results.

When another flight sim developer upgraded their engine to DirectX 11 my frame rates literally doubled, maybe even tripled!

But not to take away from today's update, it's full of incredible news.  Many thanks to the devs!

Edited by BlueHeron

Please say the Ju-88 will be with us next week...please?????

Dumb question dept: Just what will 64 bit do to improve BoS & BoM? More planes per mission?Faster FPS? When Vr ( Oculus Drift etc.) becomes more available will 64 bit make it more compatible?Inquiring ( but not so bright) minds want to know...

Veidt6a_thumb.jpg

Please say the Ju-88 will be with us next week...please?????

Dumb question dept: Just what will 64 bit do to improve BoS & BoM? More planes per mission?Faster FPS? When Vr ( Oculus Drift etc.) becomes more available will 64 bit make it more compatible?Inquiring ( but not so bright) minds want to know...

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/21543-64-bit-transition/

Edited by 6./ZG1_HarryM

Guys,

We don't know how 64bit support will impact our current product exactly. It opens up possibilities, but we don't know yet where exactly we'll take it or what's possible. We have always said we want to support VR and were not happy when that became more difficult. We are a small team with a proprietary game engine. Supporting any DX or any new tech requires a lot of time and effort that can slow down other things you want.

I wouldn't expect DX 11/12 and OR and Vive support tomorrow, but we're headed in that direction to some degree. Let's hope it all works out.

Jason

• Upvote 23

Thank you Dev's team excellent work .

Really a pleasure flight on that SIM through your work .

Can not wait . :biggrin: 

Guys,

We don't know how 64bit support will impact our current product exactly. It opens up possibilities, but we don't know yet where exactly we'll take it or what's possible. We have always said we want to support VR and were not happy when that became more difficult. We are a small team with a proprietary game engine. Supporting any DX or any new tech requires a lot of time and effort that can slow down other things you want.

I wouldn't expect DX 11/12 and OR and Vive support tomorrow, but we're headed in that direction to some degree. Let's hope it all works out.

Jason

Did you ever think about asking the community on crowdfunding the port to DX12 for example? I know not everyone would love to pay for it but id be in in the first minute.

Just add some ingame content to it and voila you got enough money to get a programmer that can handle it. (OK might not be THAT easy) But Crowdfunding could definately be worth a try.

At least officially ask the community what it thinks by a poll maybe?

Edited by StG2_Winger

Did you ever think about asking the community on crowdfunding the port to DX12 for example? I know not everyone would love to pay for it but id be in in the first minute.

Just add some ingame content to it and voila you got enough money to get a programmer that can handle it. (OK might not be THAT easy) But Crowdfunding could definately be worth a try.

This is one of the few examples, where crowdfunding might actually work within the business model of 1C/777.

I don't see myself investing in any kind of VR gear anytime soon, but still I'd chip in, because this development is an investment in the future and will greatly enhance the longevity of this sim.

I know Jason isn't a big fan of crowdfunding, but now may be the time to consider it.

The QMB map shows Moscow inside the the playable area. I remind others DD saying we can't to fly over the city. So what ? Is it a new surprise ?

Great news other way. THX :)

Edited by F/JG300_Touch

Great news. Thanks!!

It's not about money. It's about talent resources and understanding a custom built engine.  

Jason

This is one of the few examples, where crowdfunding might actually work within the business model of 1C/777.

I don't see myself investing in any kind of VR gear anytime soon, but still I'd chip in, because this development is an investment in the future and will greatly enhance the longevity of this sim.

I know Jason isn't a big fan of crowdfunding, but now may be the time to consider it.

I'm actually a big fan of crowdfunding, but not for just anything and not for our project. Anyone who has crowdfunded for a flight-sim has basically failed. 

Jason

Ouch.

But than again...... you're right.

Regardless of the future DX possibilities, the 64bit architecture will allow better access to memory and the ability to allocate more load off to multiple CPU cores.

That is huge folks.

• Upvote 3

Jason, maybe you should look into this: http://motherboard.vice.com/en_uk/read/companies-want-to-replicate-your-dead-loved-ones-with-robot-clones

Minus the dead bit, a Kickstarter can help with that.

On a serious note, it's a solid point, throwing money at the problem doesn't make the coders code faster, and unfortunately industry history with crowd-funding isn't very happy.

I'm more excited about 64bit than anything else thus far.

An actual game changer.

If someone wants to support the devs,and still has only standard BoS edition purchased, the easiest way is to go premium together with BoM.

• Upvote 2

It's not about money. It's about talent resources and understanding a custom built engine.  

Jason

I'm actually a big fan of crowdfunding, but not for just anything and not for our project. Anyone who has crowdfunded for a flight-sim has basically failed. 

Jason

I get it. Thanks for the reply. I hope you get along good with the upgrade.

Hopefully its DX12. Why invest in obsolete tech when there is already new one. Just IMHO

At least officially ask the community what it thinks by a poll maybe?Perhaps as an alternative to crowdfunging you could try 

Perhaps as an alternative to crowd funding you could try not slagging the game and Dev's at every opportunity, promoting the positive aspects at other places, and giving legitimate feedback/criticism here without accusations and rants  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

promoting the positive about BoS/BoM would be the ultimate crowdfunding  :cool:

Thanks for the update, lots of very interesting news!!

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 3

Perhaps as an alternative to crowd funding you could try not slagging the game and Dev's at every opportunity, promoting the positive aspects at other places, and giving legitimate feedback/criticism here without accusations and rants  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Cheers Dakpilot

I say what i dont like and i say what i like. And there are not just oportunities to say what i dont like. Current DD is a good example. And its not the first. Btw. your opinion - I give a rats a$$ about.

Edited by StG2_Winger

Very good news for the 64 bits, and i know what i 'm going to do on friday evening. ;)

Interesting news. Since I ordered my Rift already I've written BoS/BoM off and focused on other things.

But now that they want to go 64bit and improve the overall technical fidelity and visuals I might be putting BoM on my Steam wishlist.

I'm very curious to see how this will turn out!

After some searching I found two of the locations on Dev's screenshots :) :

Moscow Riverboat Station

Moscow_Riverboat_Station.jpg
image hosting above 5 mb

and the Moscow Canal:

Moscow_Volga_Canal.jpg
post images

Question though, on 2nd screenshot -if my eyes are not deceiving me- do I see frozen rivers and liquid water in Moscow Canal?

• Upvote 2

Cheers Dakpilot

For the first time I'd say that was really out of the blue and unnecessary. I'm well aware of the history between you. Take it outside.......................

• Upvote 4