Han

Developer Diary, Part 126 - Discussion

Hello!

Last week was very intensive for our team and important for the project - many important events happened and will happen. Let's go through them step by step.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials
You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here
You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 9

An amazing amount of work. Looking very good indeed. Interesting news on the 64 bit testing as well.

Edit, first post! I knew working from home today was a good idea!

Edited by Hoots

amazing work guys! looking forward to the 88! and even better, improved map for BOM (maybe an updated BOS map in the future?), crash fixes and a 64 bit client! I can't even express how exited I am o7

Edited by 6./ZG26_Asgar

Very nice update!! Very impressed with the progress. Not only for the new plane and map, but also regarding stability and optimization.

Thumbs up!!  :good:  :good:  

One question though. Will the new map be heavier on CPU and GPU load?

Thnx 

Martijn

Awesome work guys, It's amazing what you've achieved since those early days in EA 

Can't wait for the next patch  :salute:

Can you give us more details, what improvements we can expect from a move to 64bit? For example, will more active AI aircraft per mission be possible with 64bit? Will it fix the delayed appearing of aircraft skins?

This came out of nowhere! Thanks for the early update.

64 bit support just around the corner? Sounds to good to be true!;)

Never believed that this could happen so soon!

Map looks impressive as your work in general. Looking forward to fly that Moscow campaign  :salute:

Nice surprise about the 64-bit. Things are really going forward. Thank you!

Sounds pretty great!

I'm impressed with the latest screenshots of how the Moscow map is looking. It's at once familiar in art style to the Stalingrad map but it has its own distinct look which is a huge thing in my mind - feeling like you're flying over someplace else is so great!

• Upvote 1

At first glance it looked like a minor update with some screenshots but after reading it im so excited!

The changes on the map grid and airfields will be very very welcome! Any plans to update the Stalingrad map in the same way? I assume the red line is the runway and the red area is one of those dirt fields on the screenshots. What would Phily be? A mix of both?

And 64 bits! Glad to hear this is already being worked on! Would that have any impact on DX9? Im not very familiar with how they interact but i thought DX9 was for 32 bit only. Looking forward to better texture loading and maybe even some more legroom to avoid taking measures to optimize by lowering features.

Also, Moscow looks great, i hope we get all the new assets on the ME.

Great job!!

Edited by Jade_Monkey

Nice progress on the map but for me 64 bit + new version of Dx is the best news of the whole diary, maybe even better than DD120. I could only dream to fly without strutters and stable FPS, now this might become real.

I really hope this is going to open the door for a variety of improvements, from improved relfection shaders and increased draw distance to 4k aircraft skins and terrain textures. :)

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

Nice progress on the map but for me 64 bit + new version of Dx is the best news of the whole diary, maybe even better than DD120. I could only dream to fly without strutters and stable FPS, now this might become real.

I really hope this is going to open the door for a variety of improvements, from improved relfection shaders and increased draw distance to 4k aircraft skins and terrain textures. :)

It doesnt say that there will be a new DX version. Although the Oculus Rift compatibility would imply DX11???

It doesnt say that there will be a new DX version. Although the Oculus Rift compatibility would imply DX11???

That's what I assume.

Oclus Support? Vive Support? 64 Bit?

The Corrections in FMs that have been made and those that are to come?

Well, there remains nothing but to applaude!

Good to see the right decisions are being made.

So I am all YAY again!

Edited by StG2_Winger
  • Upvote 1

Awesome DD!

Great to hear, that 64 is already so far along, didn't expect you guys to start serious work on it before BoM was out :dance:

And the Moscow map definately seems to be pushing the standard of quality. Looks really really great and very varied.

This is a good time to be a flight simmer. :)

Congratulations, it is a fantastic progress, screens look really stunning. have to say that these regular weekly updates, every of them full of information is something that I haven't seen from any developer and it is much appreciated. It really shows how the sim has developed and in my view securing the position of the best WW2 sim on the market today. Thank you for all your hard work, effort and attention to detail :salute: .

• Upvote 1

Great RoF style airfield   :ph34r:

Now mission builders can set an especial place for people that don´t taxi and takes off on any direction away from more serious players :salute:  

Edited by 6./ZG26_Gielow
  • Upvote 3

- Map sectors are designated using a bigger font and their order has been changed. Previously they were numbered one after another and it turned out to be less useful than we thought, so now we're using the approach from real war maps of the time - a checkerboard pattern where first two digits set a column and last two digits set a row. Sector borders color is also the same as on real historical maps.

> It is possible to make this for current maps available ?

Great RoF style airfield   :ph34r:

Now mission builders can set an especial place for people that don´t taxi and takes off on any direction away from more serious players :salute:  

Indeed. I always liked the more open field runways. I don't know if this is actually true, but to me it also looks more realistic then the nice marked runways (I'm not talking about the concrete ones offcourse).

Grt M

64bit is probably 6 months, or more, out. They don't say OR or Vive support with the 64bit executable, they say it opens up support for that in the future. Do not expect new DX with the 64bit upgrade. It's going to be one step at a time. DX9 is very much 64bit compatible, FarCry released a 64bit upgrade and it was DX9.

64bit is probably 6 months, or more, out. They don't say OR or Vive support with the 64bit executable, they say it opens up support for that in the future. Do not expect new DX with the 64bit upgrade. It's going to be one step at a time. DX9 is very much 64bit compatible, FarCry released a 64bit upgrade and it was DX9.

That's what i was wondering. Great news nonetheless, more memory for textures, hopefully the skin popping and render distance can be improved.

Probably for another thread for an extended discussion but wouldn't it make more business sense (and future proofing) to jump to DX12? It seems to open a lot of headroom graphically. DX11 would just get us to the present standard and not drive the sim forward, per se.

Separately,

Thank you so much DEV's. It is an outstanding amount of work you consistently produce. Both quality and quantity.