Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

On 11/28/2020 at 10:45 AM, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Dear LLv34_Temuri,

I would be grateful if you could review the server rotating plane set with a view to bringing forward the Hawker Tempest V from the current plane set 8 to plane set 6, with the 11lbs boost modification for plane set 8.

The reason for this request is as follows.

The in-game IL-2 GB aircraft specification notes state the debut of the following aircraft as:

FW 190 A-8  SPRING 1944
Tempest V    MAY 1944
Bf 109 G14   JULY 1944
FW 190 D     END SEPTEMBER 1944 (sources on the internet show OCTOBER 1944)
Bf 109 K4     OCTOBER 1944

Given that the FW 190 A8 is plane set 6 and the Bf 109 G14 is plane set 7, it would appear to be an anomaly that the Tempest V is currently plane set 8, which is the same plane set as the FW 190 D9 and the Bf 109 K4.

The FW D9 and the Bf 109 K4 were both introduced in the Autumn of 1944 and the Tempest V was introduced in the Spring of 1944.  So, to be fair, the Tempest V should be in a plane set ahead of the D9 and K4 I would have thought.

Also, the 11lbs boost Tempest modification was common for Autumn/Winter 1944 and would be applicable for introduction at plane set 8. 

It is also historical record that the LW lost 3 Bf 109 G shot down over France by a Tempest V squadron on the 8th June 1944.

In light of the above, I would be grateful for your kind consideration to this request.

Thank you for a providing such a great MP server.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

The  irony  of this post quoting historical dates  of various  Tempest availability etc,   historically,  the Russians never got any Tempests,   They never got P-38's  or P-51's,  and a very   very small #  of   P47's.

• Thanks 1

Speaking of planes and times they were operational....   The MiG-3 was never really "retired" from duty until well after WW2.  Yes, it was held back for rear guard duty and anti-high-flying recon plane patrols but, it still was a part of the war from beginning to end.  Is there any way we can get it in all plane sets?   Papa needs an actually good 110 and 111 buster.  

2 hours ago, JG1_Wittmann said:

The  irony  of this post quoting historical dates  of various  Tempest availability etc,   historically,  the Russians never got any Tempests,   They never got P-38's  or P-51's,  and a very   very small #  of   P47's.

And there were never any G-14s, K-4s, 262s and D-9s flying over any of the eastern front maps we have.

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Upvote 2

I've just logged on and got a new message saying I have 'active teamkill warnings'. But I haven't killed anybody from my own team. I normally operate tanks or bombers because of my poor recognition skills, and have been shot at by others of my own team. So what is going on? Is the database screwed or am I a victim of impersonation?

Edited by beresford
22 minutes ago, beresford said:

I've just logged on and got a new message saying I have 'active teamkill warnings'. But I haven't killed anybody from my own team. I normally operate tanks or bombers because of my poor recognition skills, and have been shot at by others of my own team. So what is going on? Is the database screwed or am I a victim of impersonation?

Looks like the teamkill is from this tank sortie:
http://stats.virtualpilots.fi:8000/en/tankman_sortie/707528/?tour=39

And based on the campaign app logs, the poor victim was FLY_:
http://stats.virtualpilots.fi:8000/en/tankman_sortie/log/707525/?tour=39

Mistakes do happen, and the teamkill status will go away with time.

First reds had the hurricane with the late Merlin Engine (merlicane) and axis had F2. Now axis get the late G6 without mw50 (so basically an early G6) and enemies get the spit Mark 9. what’s wrong with you people? 😂 

this should be reviewed and no mw50 is not comparable to 150 octane!

Edited by =EXPEND=13SchwarzeHand

A) I was only joking, but you must have to admit that you're going to have less of an insight into balance if you only fly one side.
B) If it's a historical accuracy issue: MW50 June 1944/Spit IX merlin 66 mid 1943. Fair point with the Hurricane.

boost was 18lb from introduction of the merlin 63 in Jan 43 I think

TBH I rate the IXe quite highly and it's arguable that 18lb is a closer match to G14 than 25lb to G14. let alone g6 without MW50. It's fairly close though.

Edited by Barnacles

It's pretty much common knowledge that early maps belong to Axis (although hurricane evened that up a bit) and the further along it goes the more Allies get the nod.  Frustrating for Germans right now, for sure.  But map 7 will be here quickly and we'll get the G14.  All will be well then.

I do hate seeing the G6 late w/o mw50, seems pretty useless to have lol

2 hours ago, Barnacles said:

boost was 18lb from introduction of the merlin 63 in Jan 43 I think

TBH I rate the IXe quite highly and it's arguable that 18lb is a closer match to G14 than 25lb to G14. let alone g6 without MW50. It's fairly close though.

ok im pretty sure now you are correct. HP isn’t that far off from G6 to spit Mark 9 with 12lb. 18lb is only five minutes and I thought it was like 1h.

So they are the same ballpark...

My point with the merlicane still stands though 😂

Edited by =EXPEND=13SchwarzeHand

Thank you for incorporating Vielkyje Luki summer map into the server. It was a pure pleasure to fly it. Action packed sorties and beautiful looking map.

Thanks again for all the work you put into making MP more popular.

Edited by 56RAF_Cina
  • Upvote 3
8 minutes ago, 56RAF_Cina said:

Thank you for incorporating Vielkyje Luki summer map into the server. It was a pure pleasure to fly it. Action packed sorties and beautiful looking map.

Thanks again for all the work you put into making MP more popular.

Yeah. Looking forward to flying on Velikie Luki map tonight myself.

Next to do is Moscow map.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Решили выдавить танки с сервера ? Танковые базы расположены далеко от дорог , обороны и от цели . Пока доползешь через леса , овраги до цели - 10 раз убьёшься о невидимые препятствия . Стало не интересно ....

Edited by UFO*
  • Like 1

The new map is great but a huge problem has been created by locating spawn points far from roads. As any tank operator will tell you it is impossible to go through 1km of trees without colliding with invisible objects and destroying your engine transmission etc at least 3 to 4 times . This is hugely annoying rendering the game impossible to play. This as a massive shame be ease it is such a good map for tanks . The fault lies with the developers and has been known about for a long time., but it can be worked around by taking care to locate spawn points and targets next to roads or accessible cleared areas ..again thanks for your efforts

• Upvote 5

I couldn't agree more with Chaintong !    It has always been a frustration  to see the long  distances  from the road the spawn points for tanks are.  It  is worse for the tanks that go slower off road.    500M   or less from the road  it should be.   If your in a tank that  does 18kph  offroad,  that's  300m  per minute.  I have seen  on some maps  1.5k  or more and quite often opposite the direction you'd actually like to go.  SO minimizing that slow drive time  can at least alleviate some of that  and decrease the especially vulnerable period

• Upvote 2

Hello !

First, thanks a lot for your combined planes/tanks server !

For some days I play on this server as a tank crew, and here is my opinion on the tank side:

As Chaintong said above, spawn points need to be located right next to a road.

Why ? Because currently from spawn point (if place next to a road) to target area it takes at least 20 to 30min. And this by road ! On which we can reach speed above 45 km/h. 

Off road it's a nightmare... for exemple, a Panzer IV is at about 15km/h, so in no way you can reach the combat zone in a decent time and impossible if you are surounded by forests.

And this 20-30min by road are very boring just pressing your forward key doing nothing else. Above all if you are one shot just a few moments later by a T-34 in your weak armored PzIV, then you are good for an other 20-30min boring ride. So you have lost 1h of your life...

A few times I drove 20min and server restart (because mission accomplished), made me mad. 😅

We are only few players on the tank side. Most of time we can count each others on the fingers of one hand or two. So, having two fighting sectors, very long travels times and few scattered players tanks, is boring, not dynamic and even not realistic.

I would suggest this:

_Spawn point right next to a road.

_Divide travel time by road by two. (10-15min looks pretty acceptable)

_Only one fighting sector for tanks. (you can let the second sector only for planes gameplay purpose)

This will allow more players tanks in a same combat zone. It will be more dynamic, less boring, and even more realistic. Combo ! (it may can bring more regular tank player to the server too)

We could talk about tanks availability in each side too, but maybe an other time.

My two cents. :)

Edited by 16th-BR_diditopgun
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
17 hours ago, UFO* said:

Решили выдавить танки с сервера? Танковые базы расположены далеко от дорог, обороны и от цели. Пока доползешь через леса, овраги до цели - 10 раз убьёшься о невидимые препятствия. Стало не интересно ....

je confirme également cette remarque, le jeu en char devient injouable en dehors des routes, trop d'obstacle invisible !

3 hours ago, CCG_Pips said:

@16th-BR_diditopgun....................

Sure, Tiger and Panther tanks could make so high scoring, just camping on their positions...........

😂

I don't think so. Waiting dozen of minutes that maybe a soviet tank come in.... boring....

You say it because your T-34 can go 40km/h off road so you care less... And most of time we have only 2 Panther available (some time 2 tiger too) so we fight mainly with PzIV which is in full disadvantage (speed, armor, ammo) face to T-34.

• Upvote 1

The problem with the spawn points distant sometimes wayward location seems to have started after decision made to move them due to spawn camping. Most players have family or work commitments and don’t have a lot of time to get to a target for a bit of a scrap with another tank or blowing away targets before being dragged back to reality . The hour so that they manage to grab is very valuable to them. Your server is the only non arcade type one for planes and tanks on multiplayer that offers realistic interaction  without icons gps etc and is the only one for me and a lot of other dedicated souls.   I think maybe the best solution is to go back to placing spawn points next to troops or artillery like it was before. Let’s face it if someone is spawncamping it’s generally not for long and they generally move on after people decide to spawn somewhere else . In a plane you can be in the action within 15 min but at present in a tank it’s taking way too long.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

During the last days a buddy and I have been on the road with tanks quite a lot and in itself it is a great experience. Unfortunately the already mentioned points of criticism are very disturbing. Especially with the current map the spawns are partly set very unlucky. Sometimes you have to drive around 20-30 kilometers to reach the enemy targets and sometimes the areas are completely cut off by rivers which makes the attack/defense of a target almost impossible. Another problem that we encountered several times  now was that airplanes already destroyed the tank targets. I know the troops and artillery are "easy" targets, so splitting them up, between aircraft and tanks (like on target for everyone) could be worth a try. It's just frustrating to drive for half an hour and then to be only able to despawn again because the targets were already destroyed while you were on the way to them. Another possibility might be to position more or better flak to make it more difficult to destroy the positions of the individual aircraft.

We could "inverse" the placing algorithm so that the tank spawns are put next to the roads, but the frontline targets offroad. This would get you faster to the frontline, but you'd need to take care not to hit the enemy tank spawn. We can't really control the mission generation so that you wouldn't be cut off by rivers, but it would probably be alleviated a bit.

• Like 2

Самая большая проблема для танковой игры - разрушение всех систем танка о невидимые препятствия ....придется смириться или прекратить играть (

• Like 1

Never had much problem reaching the front in time when playing with tanks. If you make sure the front still has a lot of units you are usually fine. (Even have time to ambush 1 or 2 enemy tanks sometimes.) Maybe you were unlucky and some squadron did a big raid on the target.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

We could "inverse" the placing algorithm so that the tank spawns are put next to the roads, but the frontline targets offroad. This would get you faster to the frontline, but you'd need to take care not to hit the enemy tank spawn. We can't really control the mission generation so that you wouldn't be cut off by rivers, but it would probably be alleviated a bit.

What would happen if tank spawns were placed  500m to rear of friendly artillery or troops ? Another problem with the spawns being far away is the enemy proximity symbol being tank or plane only shows when enemy is near spawn not your friendly troops or artillery so you have no idea if they are under attack and by what.

Edited by Chaintong
  • Like 1

LLv34_Temuri

So  as  far as Tanks go,   Velikie Luki,   seems to be the worst map  possible.   The  travel situation  and the many many rivers without bridges  makes it more difficult and more time consuming.    The invisible objects  offroad, and the injuries your crew suffer trying to get to a road,   are totally out of control on this map.   Obviously,  there is something wrong with tank crew that allows this to happen.  BOth the invisible objects  and the fact that  they damage the tank and injure the crew at 18KPH. This map, seems to me to have alot more instances of invisi-object  crashes and crew injuries  than any other I have played.

I think if you took a junker into the woods and ran  into trees 3 times at 18kph,  you would not get injured and you would still be able to drive out of there.   Another instance perhaps  where the vaunted " physics model "  has no actual relation to either physics,  or reality for that matter.

My personal rating for Velikie Luki  as far as Tanks go,,,,      Big Fail !      You do have a great system  going on your server and find I play Finnish almost exclusively

Edited by JG1_Wittmann
  • Confused 1