Jump to content

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Shitty weather tends to drive players away.

I'll second that. It's hard enough to navigate sometimes without being unable to see the ground. And you know that the AI gunners will be able to see you perfectly. 

On 11/16/2020 at 4:24 PM, 69th_Mobile_BBQ said:

 

 

On second thought....     Tanks can go to temporary airfields and spawn camp as much as they can get away with, with no AI ground defense.  Tank spawn camping from the air (or ground for that matter) is now protected by invincible AI ground defense. 

 

What exactly was the purpose of certain Finn server community members ripping me a new butthole a little over a month ago about complaining of temp airfield spawn camping by tanks?  

Ha ha, I think I was logged on when that happened. Tanks did overrun airfields, in 1944 the Russian T34s would find German planes still taking off. All the opposition have to do is call in friendly planes to destroy the tank and the tank player then has a loooong drive from the nearest tank spawn to return there.

 

On the subject of airfields, airfield suppression was a feature of both the Battle of Britain and the early stages of Barbarossa. Airfield AA should not be invincible but should start to respawn once no enemy tanks or planes are within a certain radius. It should be possible to temporarily reduce an airfield's capability by attacking it. Tank spawns are a different matter, they are abstractions and allowing them to be camped is unrealistic. Ideally the capacity of a tank spawn would be related to the health of the railway station or port where they would be shipped in.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Shitty weather tends to drive players away.

 

I would disagree.¬† I think it is fun now and again.¬† It drives away the alt-monkeys who are only interested in padding their scores but who cares about them? ūüėõ

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Needs more bad weather imho. Levels the playing field, especially early war, between the Russian & German types. Plus, most of the areas in these maps aren't exactly known for their year round perfect weather...

 

Plus interesting navigational challenges, awesome graphics, generally much more interesting tactical environment than clear skies. Other Servers Are Available for that.

 

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Shitty weather tends to drive players away.

But it attracts pilots. :pilot: If clouds and rain shy away the mere shooters there are two reasons to go that way more often.

Edited by Retnek
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad weather encourages airmanship skills the are seldom tested in good weather.  In-game bad weather would allow more full real conditions for players up to the limits the game is able to provide.  We have all the in-game aircraft types in play, so perhaps we should also be able to experience all the in-game weather types too.

 

Shame I can't fly at the moment, as I am waiting for a replacement lead to be delivered for my VR headset, but I would love to fly in a wider variety of weather conditions on this server as soon as I am back up and running again.

 

Happy landings,

 

56RAF_Talisman

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

There will now be:
2/37 chance of overcast clouds (added two)

10/37 chance of heavy clouds (added two)
10/37 chance of medium clouds

9/37 chance of light clouds

6/37 chance of clear sky

 

 

And for every cloudy weather, there will be a 10% chance of rain.

 

EDIT: fake news. Did some testing. For some reason I remembered that  every cloudy weather could have rain. This is not so. Only overcast can have rain.

 

EDIT EDIT: I'm going to make it rain always when it's overcast. So, 2 / 37 == 5% of missions will have overcast with rain.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

There will now be:
2/37 chance of overcast clouds (added two)

10/37 chance of heavy clouds (added two)
10/37 chance of medium clouds

9/37 chance of light clouds

6/37 chance of clear sky

 

2 hours ago, LLv34_Untamo said:

EDIT EDIT: I'm going to make it rain always when it's overcast. So, 2 / 37 == 5% of missions will have overcast with rain.

Thats awesome! Thank you guys! That's my weekend sorted! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Black-Witch said:

A lot

I had never realised that 'a lot' meant 'the i-16 doesn't have an artificial horizon'...

 

Does have turn and bank indicator, slip indicator, ASI, altimeter and compass though.

 

But maybe I'm missing something?

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, to quantify "a lot", a lot of the early war planes don't have an artificial horizon, ~ the first 2 or 3 maps.

 

109E-7

109F-2

109F-4

190A-3

P-40

Yak-1

Lagg-3

 

and the I-16 of course :)

 

 

 

 

Edited by Black-Witch
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Black-Witch said:

OK, to quantify "a lot", a lot of the early war planes don't have an artificial horizon, ~ the first 2 or 3 maps.

 

109E-7

109F-2

109F-4

190A-3

P-40

Yak-1

Lagg-3

 

and the I-16 of course :)

 

 

 

 

 

Umm....  P-40 most certainly has an artificial horizon.   

 

Besides, even with planes not having an artificial horizon, all have sufficient instruments to determine that the plane is flying level and on-course.  

Edited by 69th_Mobile_BBQ
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be nice for equipped aircraft and pilots capable of flying in poor weather to be given the opportunity to do just that, as long as historically accurate. 

 

Aircraft and pilots without artificial horizon can still make the best of it by flying above and below cloud and if caught in cloud it is possible to use the compass, airspeed and slip indicators, altimeter and variometer to stay in control.  

 

Happy landings,

 

56RAF_Talisman

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman
Link to post
Share on other sites

DrVPLtU.png

 

 

Someone mind explaining how the frontline system gives Russia a 26km advance in sector two here when by all accounts they are clearly losing in that sector? 

My calculation:

germany: 94/100 66/100 96/100 0/100 51/100 (germans missing 193/ 500 pts)
 0/0 bridges
 0 paradrop 
Planes lost 81 (8680pts ) 

 

russia: 63/100 0/100 0/100 97/100 52/100 (russians missing 288/500 pts)
0/0 bridges 
0 paradrop 
Planes lost 74 (9450pts) 

 

So for a deficit of nearly 100 pts on their frontline health and almost 1000 pts in lost planes they get to advance the frontline? I guess the way for Russia to win the war is to lose it?¬†ūü§™

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, squidboi said:

DrVPLtU.png

 

 

Someone mind explaining how the frontline system gives Russia a 26km advance in sector two here when by all accounts they are clearly losing in that sector? 

My calculation:

germany: 94/100 66/100 96/100 0/100 51/100 (germans missing 193/ 500 pts)
 0/0 bridges
 0 paradrop 
Planes lost 81 (8680pts ) 

 

russia: 63/100 0/100 0/100 97/100 52/100 (russians missing 288/500 pts)
0/0 bridges 
0 paradrop 
Planes lost 74 (9450pts) 

 

So for a deficit of nearly 100 pts on their frontline health and almost 1000 pts in lost planes they get to advance the frontline? I guess the way for Russia to win the war is to lose it?¬†ūü§™

 

 

 

The 100/100 ratings on locations are not points available.  They are health %.  rear depots and logistics chain locations can be very large and worth thousands of points.  0 / 100 isn't 100 points gained, it's 100% destroyed.    

Even if a side greatly batters the opponent's front line troops, advancing without ability to replenish or reinforce their own front due to logistics chain damage is not all that viable.  

Edited by 69th_Mobile_BBQ
Link to post
Share on other sites

Aren't the targets further back weighted to be more impactful if destroyed? From a logistics perspective that could make sense depending on how much time is supposed to pass between map rolls. They didn't tend to keep a lot of supply close to the front lines for various reasons, to include losses due to air raids or bombardment. If you lose a small front depot the material can be replaced from the local larger store house fairly quickly without too much disruption to the fighting end of things. Lose the big store house though, well then you have to find new supplies from further away and that all takes time. That means more time with the fighting end being low on food, ammo, fuel and replacements; in short worse fighting performance and likely withdrawals from positions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see the reasoning behind moving tank spawns a distance but moving them to another side of the river from your artillery or troops with no bridge to get across or the only bridge 15 k away (if its still intact ) seems a tad unrealistic and makes the game unplayable. Dont know if this is computer generated and totally random or what but its real annoying . Maybe the spawns have been moved too far away and its screwing things up..... However good work appreciate the constant efforts being made to improve the game 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 69th_Mobile_BBQ said:

 

The 100/100 ratings on locations are not points available.  They are health %.  rear depots and logistics chain locations can be very large and worth thousands of points.  0 / 100 isn't 100 points gained, it's 100% destroyed.    

Even if a side greatly batters the opponent's front line troops, advancing without ability to replenish or reinforce their own front due to logistics chain damage is not all that viable.  

 

When I said points, thats what I mean, health points remaining in each location, not "game points"... but yeah

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LBR=HEhrler said:

"Luftwaffles planes are easy to fly... Blue pilots don¬īt like to fly complex planes..."

Yeah! I agree with you guys! Luftwaffles airplanes are a little bit easier to fly than a wingless Corsair/SpitfireūüėĄ

It was a complete flight!  LoL

 

Well done! Your other wing is also close to break so you had massive luck to go with your great flying skills ūüė≤

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeLv30_Redwing said:

 

Well done! Your other wing is also close to break so you had massive luck to go with your great flying skills ūüė≤

Thanks Redwing!

First time trying allies planes, and I¬īm very impressed how crazy we are to fight¬†against Mustangs, P-38, Spitfires and Tempests. Haven¬īt tried Russian planes yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, squidboi said:

 

When I said points, thats what I mean, health points remaining in each location, not "game points"... but yeah

 

Think of it this way:  Which was bigger Andre the Giant or the cow his steak came from?

 

 

Sortie: 22.11.2020 - 02:25 / 69th_Mobile_BBQ / VirtualPilots (IL2 stats)

 

This sortie gave me 16 buildings in-game.  Why 0 in the stats?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Chaintong said:

I can see the reasoning behind moving tank spawns a distance but moving them to another side of the river from your artillery or troops with no bridge to get across or the only bridge 15 k away (if its still intact ) seems a tad unrealistic and makes the game unplayable. Dont know if this is computer generated and totally random or what but its real annoying . Maybe the spawns have been moved too far away and its screwing things up..... However good work appreciate the constant efforts being made to improve the game 

 

 

Spawn ending up in the wrong side of the river is not intentional and certainly not desirable. I'll see if can conjure up a logic to fix that. We have the road network mapped, so maybe check the distances calculated over road from spawn to enemy positions... If the spawn ends up on the wrong side of the river, that would make the distance much longer -> maybe select a different spot...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VBF-12_Sluggo said:

Hey hey, love the server.  Just got an invisible plane shoot me down and captured it on film.  I notice this happens when I see lots of "enemy" over target but nothing shows when I get there.  Is there a place to post track?

 

For devs:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/89-technical-issues-and-bug-reports/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

CLAIM !!!  This morning on mission ending about 9.00 I was on a Pe-2 and a plane fired one me.

 

The plane was a Me-100 and at the beginning I was confused thinking about a Pe-2......

 

Finaly it was a Me-110 and my gunners NEVER informed me about ennemy attacking and NEVER fired at him !!!¬† what is that kind of problem??????....It is exactely as if it was a friendly fires!!ūüė°

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CCG_Pips said:

CLAIM !!!  This morning on mission ending about 9.00 I was on a Pe-2 and a plane fired one me.

 

The plane was a Me-100 and at the beginning I was confused thinking about a Pe-2......

 

Finaly it was a Me-110 and my gunners NEVER informed me about ennemy attacking and NEVER fired at him !!!¬† what is that kind of problem??????....It is exactely as if it was a friendly fires!!ūüė°

That has happened to me too, even when my gunner station has been locked so there was no other player at the gunner position.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, my gunner position was on AI . Gunner position for Players is locked. It is frustrating!!!!

32 minutes ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

That has happened to me too, even when my gunner station has been locked so there was no other player at the gunner position.

 

How can you explain that AI gunners does not make anything as they are sleeping !!! (Deep sleep)..?

 

It is the first time it happens to me ...usually, even if they do not fire immediately, at least, they inform you about an ennemy attack...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...