LLv34_Untamo

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

Can someone tell me when is the most populated time of day for this server?  I often find that there are 0 players, so I figure I need to start checking at a different time of day.

17 hours ago, FireflySpitfirefly said:

Can someone tell me when is the most populated time of day for this server?  I often find that there are 0 players, so I figure I need to start checking at a different time of day.

I think best hours are around 20-24 EET. That is 17-21 UTC/GMT. We aren't the most populous server to start with, but on those hours you get at least some people to fly with/against.

Posted (edited)

S!

After a long while in the dark underground coding bunker we are in the finishing phases of rolling out a new version of the server.  Basically you can forget almost everything because everything works differently now :)

In the previous version we had a huge template mission, from which we picked all necessary stuff to the mission to be run, and discarded the rest. There were ~100 possible locations for tank battles to occur in. This was somewhat dynamic, but in the bigger picture also very static. In this new version we generate the mission file on the fly. Temuri has made a huge effort to map out all free area plus the road network on the map, resulting in more than 60000 places where to fight, making the server truly dynamic. To simplify the server in the eyes of the player, we have discarded the idea of respawning units. What you destroy, remains destroyed for the rest of the mission.

As before, we generate a number of conflict zones on the border. This time the zones consist of opposing units of infantry, tanks and artillery in random patterns.

Further from the conflict zone there will be frontal depots, and even further away rear depots. Enemy depots will be hidden on the map and will become visible on the map if you discover them (fly within 5km of them). So recon is important!

Similarly, there will be front airfields and rear airfields. Only the rear airfields will have bombers. There will be moving columns rolling from the front depots to the frontline.

The goal is to destroy enemy units. That simple.

For example:

There are 2 conflict zones on the border, northern and southern. In the northern sector russians destroy all the german units, and all the depots. Situation is reversed in the south. Mission ends. Frontline is moved proportionate to the imbalance of destroyed units on both sides in each sector. So, in the north, the frontline moves west for x kilometers (we can alter the x as necessary) and to the east in the south.

Simulation of the frontline moving with germans always winning:

31zctf.gif

Rolling plane set works as before. Supply system works almost the same. Now we don't have factories, and the supply interval is determined by the distance by road/railroad to the airfield from the edge of the map (west for germans, east for russians). You can fly supply flights as before.

Airfields are no longer targets. They cannot be directly captured by players (they change sides as the frontline moves), and they have invulnerable AAA with high AI setting. So vulch at your own risk :)

This time we fight on Stalingrad map. GPS is on for the testing period.

HAVE FUN!

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Good luck with the new system guys. Sounds interesting.

33 minutes ago, ITAF_Cymao said:

I cant join into new server...

Sorry, I had a firewall setting that blocked some Italian ips due to getting abuse from certain ips. I removed that now, so try again.

Thank you all who were testing the new system yesterday. Some issues were found, and they are now being addressed.

Wow those are nice news....time to revisit FVPDW :)

I like the map change, Kuban map become a little boring.

I hope server will get populated......i'll try to bring in some friends in!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Some issues were found, and they are now being addressed.

Issues fixed, i.e.:

- All target icons should now disable when the target in question is completely destroyed

- Homing beacons should now work

- German front depots shouldn't contain duplicate objects

- Some object durability values were wrong

- Depot targets were influencing the frontline movement too much (in effect, if you didn't destroy depots, frontline didn't move)

Test server is running again.

Edited by LLv34_Temuri

S!

Original post updated. The new version is now live on the main server.

Features planned, but not yet implemented:

- Patrolling AI aircraft (if server can handle them...)

- Supply air drops

19 minutes ago, LLv34_Untamo said:

Features planned, but not yet implemented:

- Patrolling AI aircraft (if server can handle them...)

- Supply air drops

- Player controlled tanks

Brilliant. Now here are the inevitable questions 😜

1.   Have you fixed the problem with half-tracks being invulnerable to 23mm cannon?  I can assure you that last night we were hitting them hard with four IL2s in multiple passes!

2.  You talk about planes being added to a field supply when you land but does that include landing a bomber at a fighter field?  Does the aircraft have to be 100% undamaged to count?

3. Are new aircraft 'built' at the airfields using supplies or are they delivered by air using AI?  

4. Are the supplies actually delivered by convoys, ie destroying every convoy and supply plane will stop all supplies, or are the convoys just there for target practice and supplies really arrive via an underground pipe?   Maybe a mix of both methods?

It would actually be quite cool if all supplies were delivered solely by destroyable convoys & supply planes so an enemy could could cause serious problems unless you defended the convoys.  You would probably have to mark the friendly convoys on the map to make them easier to defend and have several on the go at any time, perhaps not all following the straightest route and perhaps not being visible until they have been running for a while to stop the enemy camping the depots.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

1.   Have you fixed the problem with half-tracks being invulnerable to 23mm cannon?  I can assure you that last night we were hitting them hard with four IL2s in multiple passes!

Temuri is on it.

2.  You talk about planes being added to a field supply when you land but does that include landing a bomber at a fighter field?  Does the aircraft have to be 100% undamaged to count?

Planes are generic in that matter. They just count as numbers. So if and airfield has 50 planes, and you land a He-111 on it, it now has 51 planes. Then you take off with a Fw190, now it has 50 on it, and so on.

3. Are new aircraft 'built' at the airfields using supplies or are they delivered by air using AI?  

4. Are the supplies actually delivered by convoys, ie destroying every convoy and supply plane will stop all supplies, or are the convoys just there for target practice and supplies really arrive via an underground pipe?   Maybe a mix of both methods?

It would actually be quite cool if all supplies were delivered solely by destroyable convoys & supply planes so an enemy could could cause serious problems unless you defended the convoys.  You would probably have to mark the friendly convoys on the map to make them easier to defend and have several on the go at any time, perhaps not all following the straightest route and perhaps not being visible until they have been running for a while to stop the enemy camping the depots.

Currently they just appear in the airfield when the supply interval is reached, the supply count is increased behind the scenes. We have talked about making AI supply plane flights (which can be shot down to stop supply), but that depends how big of a load they are on the server (along with other planned AI stuff). Have to do testing... The current convoys aren't a part of the supply system, they are just part of the sector "health" pool, so destroying them helps move the frontline.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

33 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I changed the half-tracks to trucks.

We took several of them out on a second run using 250kg bombs, temuri, but the guns seemed oddly ineffective except on the AA (just to show that we are capable of hitting something). Seems odd cos not had much of a problem off line although I guess a game update could have changed it

41 minutes ago, 56RAF_Stickz said:

We took several of them out on a second run using 250kg bombs, temuri, but the guns seemed oddly ineffective except on the AA (just to show that we are capable of hitting something). Seems odd cos not had much of a problem off line although I guess a game update could have changed it

Yeah, like I said yesterday on the server chat, looks like a game bug, as the durability of the half-tracks were as recommended by devs. Need to test before using those blocks again.

On 6/4/2019 at 4:47 PM, LLv34_Untamo said:

60000 places where to fight, making the server truly dynamic

That is cool :good: but how do you prevent collisions with buildings/trees/rivers? Can ground object spawn with a tree inside?

Please tell more about moving columns. Do they spawn constantly until depot destroyed? Do they disappear when reached destination? What's their destination btw? Conflict zone?

24 minutes ago, TUS_Samuel said:

That is cool :good: but how do you prevent collisions with buildings/trees/rivers? Can ground object spawn with a tree inside?

Please tell more about moving columns. Do they spawn constantly until depot destroyed? Do they disappear when reached destination? What's their destination btw? Conflict zone?

Because those 60000+ positions are hand picked. Of course some may contain a tree or two I missed, but majority of them are on free area.

One convoy per front depot going to the general area of the conflict. So not multiple spawns. They don’t disappear.

9 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Because those 60000+ positions are hand picked

Ah, 60000 is the number of places where each ground unit can spawn. I thought it is number of coordinates for combat zones.

On 6/4/2019 at 4:47 PM, LLv34_Untamo said:

invulnerable AAA

Bad news. It was fun to close airfields. Maybe just put enough vulnerable AAA?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TUS_Samuel said:

Ah, 60000 is the number of places where each ground unit can spawn. I thought it is number of coordinates for combat zones.

It kind of is number of coordinates, it's just 60000+ circles of about 400 m diameter. Inside each we can place one target group. :)

I'd like to put enough vulnerable AAA, but sadly the game is currently such that it can't handle a large number of objects. 

Edited by LLv34_Temuri

33 minutes ago, TUS_Samuel said:

This is because airfields aren't a target anymore. Yeah, airfield capturing was fun, but as the logic when you can and should do certain things (like capture an airfield, or destroy a factory/depot) on the previous version was a bit too much for some (or even to majority) of players, so we opted to make the mission lot simpler for the players.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

It kind of is number of coordinates, it's just 60000+ circles of about 400 m diagonal. Inside each we can place one target group. :)

Yeah that is cool.

18 minutes ago, LLv34_Untamo said:

was a bit too much for some (or even to majority) of players

Agreed. Many people obviously don't read complicated rules. I estimate this number to roughly 2/3. Straightforward actions (like destroying tanks) should lead to a changes in frontline, so new implementation looks better from this point of view.

Posted (edited)

Very nice server, tried it today for a couple of sorties.

First time I play online in many months, used to be very fond of Coconut server, this could be a suitable replacement.

Many thanks!!

p.s.

- the craters over the targets appear only when very close, therefore don't help with visibility, and are floating some 10/20 meters above ground.

- the static tanks at the depot also appear only when very close (500 meters, I think)

Edited by Nibbio
  • Upvote 1

Nice, server!Couple of us wisit  your server last night, and it is wery nice looking!Unfortunatly there is only 5 of us and one more player......Btw great work!

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2019 at 11:11 AM, Nibbio said:

Very nice server, tried it today for a couple of sorties.

First time I play online in many months, used to be very fond of Coconut server, this could be a suitable replacement.

Many thanks!!

p.s.

- the craters over the targets appear only when very close, therefore don't help with visibility, and are floating some 10/20 meters above ground.

- the static tanks at the depot also appear only when very close (500 meters, I think)

I agree that visibility can be a problem.    When one of the artillery targets was in a large featureless area a few days back, I really struggled to see where the targets were and when I did find them I turned round to attack them and they had vanished again.  Usually I would have memorised what feature they were near but, as I said, the area was featureless.  It is perhaps just unfortunate that the random placement of targets can put them somewhere like that.    If I had been level bombing I think I would have found it impossible.     Temuri was online at the time and said they were looking into adding some targets that will be more visible from a distance.  He also agreed that it was a good idea to have the guns firing as that makes them easier to spot.  Once I had set one of the targets on fire it was easier to keep the target area in sight and I think Temuri mentioned they were considering adding smoke to help spotting.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Temuri was online at the time and said they were looking into adding some targets that will be more visible from a distance.  He also agreed that it was a good idea to have the guns firing as that makes them easier to spot.  Once I had set one of the targets on fire it was easier to keep the target area in sight and I think Temuri mentioned they were considering adding smoke to help spotting.

I tried adding those craters, but they seem to be implemented in a way that you'd need to set them on the ground level manually. Therefore, we need to alter the campaign app logic, so that it takes sets the correct height coordinate. Let's see if that helps enough. Having the artillery firing would perhaps be one step more complex thing to do.

Edit: just noticed Nibbio's comment about crater visibility. Maybe not go through the effort. Damn this game needs better LODs.

Edited by LLv34_Temuri
  • Thanks 1

Maybe using a couple of fires to mark ground targets like at the airfields?

Also would be nice to have some soft targets in the convoys, so far I've seen only tanks.

15 minutes ago, Nibbio said:

Maybe using a couple of fires to mark ground targets like at the airfields?

Also would be nice to have some soft targets in the convoys, so far I've seen only tanks.

Fires are one option, yes.

There are four types of convoys, three with tanks, one with trucks. The type gets picked randomly. I don't want to mix vehicle types in a single convoy, because then the vehicles will easily start to bump into each other.

2 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

There are four types of convoys, three with tanks, one with trucks. The type gets picked randomly. I don't want to mix vehicle types in a single convoy, because then the vehicles will easily start to bump into each other. 

That's great, thank you!

I tested the craters again, and Untamo made the campaign system set them at ground level. I’d say the craters help you spot the groups. I climbed to 3k and didn’t need to fully zoom in for the craters to be visible.

Untamo made the weather information be shown in the mission briefing.

I made a fix for the fires at the airfields hanging in the air.

I’ll put these fixes running tomorrow morning.

I tested the craters again, and Untamo made the campaign system set them at ground level. I’d say the craters help you spot the groups. I climbed to 3k and didn’t need to fully zoom in for the craters to be visible.

Untamo made the weather information be shown in the mission briefing.

I made a fix for the fires at the airfields hanging in the air.

I’ll put these fixes running tomorrow morning.

These are now running.

Just an FYI: Allied airfields have their air raid siren going off when no enemies are around.

27 minutes ago, -332FG-Garven said:

Just an FYI: Allied airfields have their air raid siren going off when no enemies are around.

Strange, I thought I fixed this today.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

This was last night so it probably has been fixed since then.

Edited by -332FG-Garven
  • Upvote 1

The server is now running new version with following changes:
- Paratrooper drops to the frontline to strengthen the frontline
- AI border patrol flights
- Non-hidden depots
- Sector number markings on map

Might need to tune the border patrol flights, as tick delay is a bit higher than we'd like.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The server is now running new version with following changes:
- Paratrooper drops to the frontline to strengthen the frontline
- AI border patrol flights
- Non-hidden depots
- Sector number markings on map

Might need to tune the border patrol flights, as tick delay is a bit higher than we'd like.

Very nice concept, thanks for the server-relaunch!

Please allow some remarks:
- heavy AA with AI-setting "high" is just a little more dangerous, no need to be shy here.

- thanks for scaling down the light AA (20 - 40 mm) to "low"

- 4 x AA-single-barrelled MG at setting "normal" around a field-position are still quite a death-trap, even for an IL-2. But a lone wolf going in low and slow against a well prepared field position is asking for it anyhow.
- Are you sure the recon-concept is working as intended? I've done two long recon-flights, second one flying over the targets directly tonight. No symbols were shown on the map.
- According to your changes for today the enemies depots should be visible per default, too - they were not. In general this would a good and realistic setting. Both sides usually knew very well where depots and marshalling-yards were positioned. Not much options in that huge country with the few railroad lines.

- Same for the supply-convoys - if they should be detectable by "plane-AI" within 5 km range I must have passed at least one or two of them en route. No hints on the map, no gunners calling out. If there's a need for a human pilot detecting them everything might be fine - I'm quite blind often, especially snow-blind.

- Very nice to hear the "border-patrol" radio-talk. Offers some comfort when flying alone over the icy vastness.

Please don't mind the few minor critics above - your fine server is offering immersion. Very well worth "to get our teeth into", as a silverback squad-mate would put it.

Edited by Retnek