Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

LLv34_Untamo

III/JG52_Al-Azraq

Am I the only one that notices the front is not moving at all since the frontline changes were introduced? Maybe there are too many objectives right now so destroying some of them does not make a huge difference?

Don't get me wrong as i do appreciate all that time and effort (money) you put in maintaining/expanding the server but

23 hours ago, LLv34_Untamo said:

People like to be able to switch around, and some people actively switch side to balance the teams.

is highly debatable.

For last few days whenever i joind or even looked at main page (to go to forum) number of allies was always smaller than axis.

Last time i played LD server (which i believe has exactly the same setup as main one) when i joined it was 6 vs 18. Yep 3:1. More alies cause late planeset.

After couple of flyout when i decided to leave (as honestly it was not much of a fun to fight against multiple enemies all the time with a skill, or rather lack of, on my side)

it was 7 vs 24. So as soon as i have left it went down to 6 vs 24. Yep, 4:1

So, if locking player side might be a problem (sadly, not that forum savvy to get some kind of poll or sth to find out players' opinions), maybe we could go different (Warthunder - I KNOW!!!!) way. You can't join the side with number of players bigger than X of opposite team?

LLv34_Temuri
6 minutes ago, III/JG52_Al-Azraq said:

Am I the only one that notices the front is not moving at all since the frontline changes were introduced? Maybe there are too many objectives right now so destroying some of them does not make a huge difference?

You're not. I now adjusted the maximum amount of advance bonus from CPs from 5 km to 15 km.

[FF]Saiyon

The Bendix in the P39 does not seem to work. 

Last time I flew it was during Planeset 4. A20 Bendix did work.

Game bug, map bug, intentional?

LLv34_Temuri
1 minute ago, [FF]Saiyon said:

Game bug, map bug, intentional?

Haven't changed anything. Have same airfields been in the missions as when it did work?

[FF]Saiyon
4 minutes ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Haven't changed anything. Have same airfields been in the missions as when it did work?

To be honest I am not sure I have ever seen it work, but only flown the P39 a handful of times. Will check it later tonight when finished work.

14 minutes ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Just took off from Kubinka to quickly test and it didn't work. Is it user error, do I need to do something to turn it on in the P39?

DD_Friar

I would not expect a flag / town to be defended by AI units. You could place empty revetments I suppose but not a requirement. It would be up to the side taking the flag to take up positions around the town where they feel they could defend against attacks, from what ever direction that may be. This would encourage more teamwork on comms. A lone attacker or defender would probably not last long. Air cover would become more important to be co-ordinated with the ground units. Call in an air strike to prepare for your advance into the town or call for support against advancing units (all to be countered by friendly/enemy air units). Having just typed this sentence I now realise that some AAA would be welcome around the town to protect the tanks. Could their nationality be switched with a command behaviour based on the flag conditions?

Once the player driveable AAA comes on stream it will make it an even more attractive scenario. Attack the town/flag and take AAA units with you. 

I would say the radius of the flag should not be too big, it could like taking a head quarters to gain control of the location?. I do not know how you build your maps so please excuse my "you could do this..." , as they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, so perhaps I am making too many assumptions of what is possible?

I am really enjoying playing on your maps and scenarios and am making these suggestions from a position of wanting to contribute and not from a place of negativity.

Salute

DD_Friar

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, [FF]Saiyon said:

To be honest I am not sure I have ever seen it work, but only flown the P39 a handful of times. Will check it later tonight when finished work.

Just took off from Kubinka to quickly test and it didn't work. Is it user error, do I need to do something to turn it on in the P39?

You have to change the radio axis/allies to compass

• Upvote 1

III/JG52_Al-Azraq
1 hour ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

You're not. I now adjusted the maximum amount of advance bonus from CPs from 5 km to 15 km.

Yeah but that still doe not incentivize to do ground attack with planes.

[FF]Saiyon

On a different note, please find below some thoughts from a much newer pilot. I only started playing multiplayer il2 in Jan this year.

I love playing on Finnish (it's my favourite server) but have found this Campaign really tough flying as allies.

In the previous versions of the map I used to do quite a bit of ground pounding, both the depots/stations etc and the front lines (artillery and troops).

With the new system, ground attacking the front lines as Allies feels like a suicide mission each time (I also appreciate that I am new and lack skill and tactical smarts). I don't feel though that the new system has spread the fighting out over a wider area which was the design goal I believe. 

The smoke is great for navigation but maybe it is too good, fighters can get back to the lines very quickly after having chased someone. Maybe just smaller sporadic explosions (I know there are some already)

Also, are the bunkers on the front lines target I should be aiming for and what does it take to destroy them?

I find it hard to work out if the white/beige bunkers have been hit, or should be hit (again I am new so apologies for lack of knowledge), does it take multiple bombs to blow one up? I am really struggling to get a decent score when doing a front line run now. Maybe a few more softer targets would be nice.

Airfield vulching by Axis yesterday was pretty hardcore when I was on. I know it is part of the game and this server is ruthless but I think this is why at one point the server had a near 2-1 player ratio in favour of Axis at parts of the day. This combined with the rear objectives generally being very close to axis airfields just made for a tough day of losses.

I also think that this level of vulching can happen organically as there are times when Axis have such air superiority over the front lines that folks have to go closer to allied airfields just to get some action.

Once again I do appreciate that a lot of experienced and skilled Axis pilots were in the air and credit to them. The boom and zoom accuracy is genuinely impressive. I know I just need to "get gud" and all that, but just thought I would share some thoughts from the point of view of a newbie who generally prefers flying allies.

Finally, thank you for your work on this and the number of hours of entertainment your server has provided me, even if I get to see the trees a bit too often. To all the Axis pilots, someday I will "get gud" :)

5 minutes ago, Plurp said:

You have to change the radio axis/allies to compass

Thank you!!!

LLv34_Temuri
2 hours ago, DD_Friar said:

You could place empty revetments

Btw. There are already.

DD_Friar

Yes I was aware of that around the flag. When the flag is in the middle of open ground I suspect they would not help me much! :)

Cheers

DD_Friar

13/JG5_Luck

I just tried to join the finisch LD server, but could not. anything wrong with it?

SvAF/F16_lassekongo

I have another suggestion i would like to hear your opinions on. What if every top plane for the plane sets were limited like this. You get one latest model of each plane like in planeset 6 you get access to 1x fw190 A8 for either one life meaning if you die in the plane you will not have it until next 6 hour rotation, or if you do not successfully land it you will loose it and have to wait until next rotation. In my opinion that would be very awsome. The problem arises for allied plane set. As when i am with allies for the whole duration of a campaign like with axis i want both sides to be somewhat balanced and somewhat historical. What could be done is to find the plane that have the most similar performance to its axis counter parts. Anyway this is something I think would be highly appreciated as both sides pilots will have to treat their top tier planes better. Makes it interestering for an attacker oriented player like myself when im axis for a campaign and the A8 is available i will have to treat it more carefully as to not “have to” use the A6. As more and more people buy battle of normandy i think this would make it far more interesting. 

Edited by SvAF/F16_lassekongo
  • Upvote 2

Chaintong
19 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

So what you're suggesting is to go back to one CP per sector?

Yes good idea that would bring the players to a central point for a good scrap over a worthy cause now you have increased the advance. If you want to rack up some points and cruise the front line and blow away some targets you can also. Problem now of course is front line spread out further and too few tanks for that area just a case of trial and error to see what works

LLv34_Temuri
3 hours ago, Chaintong said:

Yes good idea that would bring the players to a central point for a good scrap over a worthy cause now you have increased the advance. If you want to rack up some points and cruise the front line and blow away some targets you can also. Problem now of course is front line spread out further and too few tanks for that area just a case of trial and error to see what works

Ask and you shall receive. This one CP per sector should be how it is now :)

beresford
3 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Ask and you shall receive. This one CP per sector should be how it is now :)

Though I don't remember big scraps over the CPs in the first place. Most of the German planes were having a disco over the Red troops. Sometimes the CP would be halfway up a mountain in an almost impenetrable forest and only the T-wagon boys would venture in there to find it. On occasion a German player would camp a CP, but I tried that as Red and got bored after five minutes. The tank battles were usually around the troops. 'Anyone got eyes on the Tiger? Sh*t, there are two of them!'.

Any progress on fixing the invulnerable tanks in the encampments (and apparently depots)?

Edited by beresford

LLv34_Temuri
45 minutes ago, beresford said:

Any progress on fixing the invulnerable tanks in the encampments (and apparently depots)?

Haven't had time yet to delve into this.

102.R.dd_Blade18
On 3/21/2021 at 7:15 PM, LLv34_Untamo said:

Tacview recording is disabled due to it being written in real time.... which can then be read in real time to see the locations of every plane (in vicinity).

Hello Untamo,

any chance to implement TacView playback delay (as DCS does), to enable TrackView recording after all? I don't think I'm the only one here, who would like to learn from mistakes reviewinig the MP flight recorded, and being able to display telemetry datas for all involved to see and analize. Very useful tool for learning, debriefing, you name it. With the playback delay, there is not even a chance for cheating.

Thank you for feedback !

LLv34_Temuri
6 minutes ago, 102.R.dd_Blade18 said:

Hello Untamo,

any chance to implement TacView playback delay (as DCS does), to enable TrackView recording after all? I don't think I'm the only one here, who would like to learn from mistakes reviewinig the MP flight recorded, and being able to display telemetry datas for all involved to see and analize. Very useful tool for learning, debriefing, you name it. With the playback delay, there is not even a chance for cheating.

Thank you for feedback !

This is a question for devs, not server admins.

ITAF_Gerry_Lil_Rocket

Hello

maybe someone did put same question in the past ...if so I'm sorry in advance ...I didn't find it.

The question is about "invisible aircraft" bug on Finnish server....if you flight with a mate and/or  in very populated time isn't such an issue ...just realize it,get out and back in the server again....just boring. But in case you are flying alone and with less player ingame you could risk to flying for 45 min seeing nothing and suddenly understand you are flying with the bug seeing tracers coming out from nothing. At this point of my flight sim pilot career I discovered I'm very attached to my virtual life so loose it due to flying mistakes, low flying skill it seems sad but acceptable, virtually dying for a server bug it's really unpleasant. So I ask if there is any chance to solve this bug definitely or, at least, any mean to understand you are starting a flight in "bugged mode" i.e. some object on spawning point (static plane, flag,etc.) that had to be seen immediately after spawning just to confirm that the mission is running correctly.

Anyway I'm really enjoy flying on your server  though demanding both under navigating and surviving skills so I give you a big thank for your effort and keep going💪

E69_Qpassa_VR
On 3/31/2021 at 5:19 PM, BG26_Moostafa said:

Hi, I'm Moostafa and I'm happy to be part of this community. I don't know what drives you to play the game but for me, it's good friends, teamwork, great competition, and the challenge of seeing how many kills I can achieve in a single virtual life. 

The end of the current tour is fast approaching, so I thought now would be a good time to congratulate those pilots that were able to achieve some fantastic scores. 

Think it's easy?

An "ACE", the highest card in the deck. Of the 7,879 pilots that have flown at least one sortie during the current tour. Only 749 of them have earned the title ACE by shooting down 5 enemy aircraft in a single virtual life. Of those only 81 have 20 or more kills, and only 11 have 50 or more. 3 have made the century mark. 

Below is the current top 25
topilots.png

If you would like to see where you stand in the  TOP 1000

Great job guys my HAT is off to you.

URLs of the left classification are not correctly implemented, they go to the current website.

Toothpaste-Vibe

LOL good to know about the "invincible AI tanks" in the tank spawns.  I just spent about 20 rounds with no real effect.  But my question here is - in the last couple days my tank has racked up over 20 vehicle kills with 8 live player kills in the last sortie alone...but no updating to my stats.  Sorry.... sounds totally selfish, I know.  And in the end it teaches me that the kill in and of itself is the game, not the stat.  I'm getting to be OK with that: one is never to old to learn.  I should be more zen. But.........I like those notches.

Charlo-VR
3 hours ago, 11thPanzer_Pete said:

LOL good to know about the "invincible AI tanks" in the tank spawns.  I just spent about 20 rounds with no real effect.  But my question here is - in the last couple days my tank has racked up over 20 vehicle kills with 8 live player kills in the last sortie alone...but no updating to my stats.  Sorry.... sounds totally selfish, I know.  And in the end it teaches me that the kill in and of itself is the game, not the stat.  I'm getting to be OK with that: one is never to old to learn.  I should be more zen. But.........I like those notches.

If you had saved the direct link to your stats during the 1st quarter of 2021, you may be viewing those now-static stats. If so, you’ll want to raise the number at the end of the URL you saved by one to see this current quarter’s stats, which are ?tour=41

13/JG5_Luck

Yesterday afternoon and evening I flew for a couple of hours but the sorties haven't been recorded on the statistics/scoring table?? Problem on my side or general?

=[V]P=vad-asz
17 minutes ago, 13/JG5Luck said:

Yesterday afternoon and evening I flew for a couple of hours but the sorties haven't been recorded on the statistics/scoring table?? Problem on my side or general?

Not only for you, website hangs.

LLv34_Temuri

Stats parser had gone tits up. I had travelling day yesterday, so couldn't do anything. Stats are processed now.

SvAF/F16_Goblin

First of all, a big thank You for a great server.

With that said I have a sort of question/suggestion that I'd like to put forward.

Reshade is banned on many online servers due to previous cheating with it, however I find that in VR (I only fly in VR) it makes life easier.

Is it possible to read the settings of IL-2 and enable reshade for VR pilots since the visuals in VR are less vivid and clear in contrast to those flying big screen 4k 2D?

VR pilots with current technology sacrifices a great deal for the "feeling".

Best regards

• Thanks 1

[FF]Fishe

Does anyone have an accurate description of what targets constitute rail and industrial station? Perhaps a picture? I keep destroying targets and not getting points for it or even if I do the sector health doesn’t decrease. It’s a recent thing, perhaps over the past month or two. Cheers. 

• Upvote 1

klaus64
13 hours ago, [FF]Fishe said:

Does anyone have an accurate description of what targets constitute rail and industrial station? Perhaps a picture? I keep destroying targets and not getting points for it or even if I do the sector health doesn’t decrease. It’s a recent thing, perhaps over the past month or two. Cheers. 

You have  to destroye the buildings around the wagons , the wagons and the five flak too 

the point marked on the map corresponds exactly to the point to be destroyed 

• Thanks 1

brahguevara
On 4/8/2021 at 12:19 AM, 102.R.dd_Blade18 said:

Hello Untamo,

Thank you for feedback !

How does this delay work?
What is stopping someone running 2 computers or a vm running a script that copies the tacview file and loading it, while they are still in the air?
Huge integrity risk for little benefit. 
I'm very glad its not part of the game/server.

• Upvote 1

102.R.dd_Blade18

On DCS you can set on the server, with how much delay one will be able to replay any TacView track. But it would need some programming for IL-2 GB, someone told me, so I should point my questions to the programmers. I guess I will ask TacView support first if it can be implemented at all for IL-2 GB.

LLv34_Untamo
On 4/10/2021 at 9:02 AM, SvAF/F16_Goblin said:

Reshade is banned on many online servers due to previous cheating with it, however I find that in VR (I only fly in VR) it makes life easier.

Is it possible to read the settings of IL-2 and enable reshade for VR pilots since the visuals in VR are less vivid and clear in contrast to those flying big screen 4k 2D?

No. There is just one setting: enabled/disabled.

• Like 1

15[Span.]/JG51Navarro

Hi LLv34_Untamo,

I would like to report that despite the rules clearly stating "no chute shooting", on a mission flown today, my pilot was killed while hanging on the chute. It was not by accident, the pilot of the P-38J-25 did it on purpose.
Here is the link to the sortie log:

http://stats.virtualpilots.fi:8000/en/sortie/log/1180911/?tour=41

Missión: #10759

Greetings,

P.S. I guess there is no option to remove that "death" from my statistics....

594185225_VP_Mission_10759_12-04-2021.thumb.JPG.79cf11be0f7e5f568e9514edb852a1cd.JPG

Edited by 15[Span.]/JG51Navarro
  • Sad 1

GOA_Firebird_VR
2 hours ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Navarro said:

Hi LLv34_Untamo,

I would like to report that despite the rules clearly stating "no chute shooting", on a mission flown today, my pilot was killed while hanging on the chute. It was not by accident, the pilot of the P-38J-25 did it on purpose.
Here is the link to the sortie log:

http://stats.virtualpilots.fi:8000/en/sortie/log/1180911/?tour=41

Missión: #10759

Greetings,

P.S. I guess there is no option to remove that "death" from my statistics....

594185225_VP_Mission_10759_12-04-2021.thumb.JPG.79cf11be0f7e5f568e9514edb852a1cd.JPG

Hi Navarro , my sincere apologies for whats happend, i saw that so quickly when we were going down from 4000 meters to 1000 meters then i open fire directly to your plane until they blow and during your bail out  this happend. Im sorry for this incident :(, after this happend i feel like Sh%t.. believe me, but was a trully reflect of my finger in the trigger. ( If you ask to the ppl who knows me, they will confirm that i trully hate parachute killers ). I'm not avoiding the fact of what happend, and im really sorry for screw up your score/stats.

S-

Edited by GOA_Wehraboo*VR*
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

13/JG5_Luck

I'm really wondering what kind of system or gadgets some guys have to support their range of sight. One single plane flying low above the woods is detected at more than 5000 meter distance and from a altitude of almost 3000 meter. Miracle? 

wellenbrecher

That's an ok distance to spot things at, though wooded landscapes can make it harder.

I for one can do it at least when I know where to look - i.e. defending an objective or having a server message callout about planes in an area - and I feel legally blind compared to some others I fly with.

A lot depends on how the aircraft is moving relative to your own; if the aircraft is moving in an approximate heading and speed as yourself it becomes a lot more difficult, but other than that it's pretty easy to spot at 3K.

I'd like to say @wellenbrecher that the 109 I failed to see last week was because it was flying parallel to me, at the same speed, at the same heading, and slightly lower against the treeline. :P

wellenbrecher

It was also 300m away tops, you daft bugger.😅