LLv34_Untamo

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

suggestion and some observations bellow:

What i  noticed flying online on a few servers is ppl run away from complexity and are lazy to read server  mechanics  while others  go  away if their preferred plane is locked.

I've noticed that  in chat and from some EAF members, also respawn feature is a bit discouraging cos nobody want's to fight time,  especially when low  number of pilots is online.

Me among others  if i don't have few wingmans  granting we will  spend time  actually destroying something and make progress.

Ppl like simplicity, shot and destroy  something in their precious  free time flying il2.

KOTA server become quite popular even being focused on airquake giving hard time for bomber  pilots and WoL as always  popular for new players and those going for numbers.

But only  Finnish server give us dynamic war, so how to  use that and  fill the server?

Suggestion  for maybe  server No.2;

-no award points and locked planes

-no objectives respawn

-no  tankbases as we have now

-objectives not related to one another....no respawn

-historical planesets

-historical distances (till some point)

-no gps

-simple objectives like on Kota (naval fleets, ports, factories, columns, artillery, bridges...etc)

so few objectives on the map till they got destroyed, once destroyed map is updated.

It will give needed variety for  bombers while fighter pilots  will find their fun hunting.

Basically it is map design like KOTA, WoL or Random Expert regarding objectives but with dynamic war/progress.

I'm sure that would populate server 84/84  like we have KOTA now, and even bring il2 on another level as a online campaign.

Edited by EAF_Ribbon
  • Upvote 1

Finnish grew needlessly complicated and time consuming. We now fly on Coconuts Expert and, if the numbers are low, occasionally KOTR.

Edited by Leifr

10 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

suggestion and some observations bellow:

I think I understand what you are suggesting, but I don't see us setting up another 24/7 server with somewhat different logic in the near future, as our free time is currently quite limited.

That being said, I do have a personal project where I'm learning to code, which (if ever finished) should work something like the way you describe. Don't hold your breath :)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Leifr said:

Finnish grew needlessly complicated and time consuming. We now fly on Coconuts Expert and, if the numbers are low, occasionally KOTR.

To me coconut's server seems more complicated than Finnish. I believe Finnish is the best server out there, it's a shame that it is rarely populated. One of the best thing is that it starts to get totally enjoyable from around only 10-12 pilots overall.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 1/13/2019 at 8:11 PM, Leifr said:

I am sorry to say that the same thing happened with my own squad.  We were one of your biggest supporters and loved the server. We had 8 pilots joining your server  as our first choice every squad night then when it changed to add all the restrictions we stopped flying in Finnish. We now fly KOTA with Coconut as second choice.  We are a squad and anything that stops us all jumping in the same aircraft to fly as a co-ordinated team means we have to fly somewhere else.

Don't take that as a complaint. It is just feedback on how *some* of your regular users were lost.   

So is it the award points and the rolling planesets that make it too complex, or is it just the award points?

3 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

So is it the award points and the rolling planesets that make it too complex, or is it just the award points?

It is the fact that we have to 'buy' good aircraft.    Some of our pilots may fly 7 days a week and make lots of kills,  some of our pilots may fly 7 days a week and not get many kills because they are being wingmen and putting their wing leaders survival and their own above all other concerns,  some of our pilots may only get to fly twice a week for a few hours on squad nights.   The result is that when we all arrive together to fly as a team we all have different aircraft available to us.  Perhaps we could all just agree to fly the one available to everyone which is obviously the worst one but why bother when we can just log out immediately and all fly a better plane elsewhere?     

I will admit that we have never even tried since you changed the rules because we immediately go elsewhere whenever we see a server with rules like that,  not just yours.     Before you even changed we had got fed up with wasting large parts of our squadnights going into servers and beginning to spawn in only for someone to say 'Sorry guys. I am being told that I am not allowed to fly this aircraft' and having to try to find one we all *can* fly together and sometimes finding we cannot and having to go to another server to see if it is better.  Now at the first sign a server had complicated rules about what individual pilots are allowed to fly we just log out and never try that server again.    Rolling planesets are fine as they apply to everyone regardless of how often they fly and how many kills they have.

I know you are only trying to make your server more interesting and fairer and maybe what you have done is good for most of your players and should not be changed.  I am just saying it does not suit us.  That is life.    You only need to care about how it affects my squad and Liefrs squad if it turns out that  significant number of other squads or people that otherwise like the way Finnish dynamic campaign works feel the same as us.     I would never advocate a server being designed to suit the majority of all IL2 players or they would all be Airquake fly-die-fly-die servers with GPS and no penalties for dying and no reason to land - Yechh!  No thank you 🙂

1 minute ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

It is the fact that we have to 'buy' good aircraft.    Some of our pilots may fly 7 days a week and make lots of kills,  some of our pilots may fly 7 days a week and not get many kills because they are being wingmen and putting their wing leaders survival and their own above all other concerns,  some of our pilots may only get to fly twice a week for a few hours on squad nights.   The result is that when we all arrive together to fly as a team we all have different aircraft available to us.  Perhaps we could all just agree to fly the one available to everyone which is obviously the worst one but why bother when we can just log out immediately and all fly a better plane elsewhere?     

I will admit that we have never even tried since you changed the rules because we immediately go elsewhere whenever we see a server with rules like that,  not just yours.     Before you even changed we had got fed up with wasting large parts of our squadnights going into servers and beginning to spawn in only for someone to say 'Sorry guys. I am being told that I am not allowed to fly this aircraft' and having to try to find one we all *can* fly together and sometimes finding we cannot and having to go to another server to see if it is better.  Now at the first sign a server had complicated rules about what individual pilots are allowed to fly we just log out and never try that server again.    Rolling planesets are fine as they apply to everyone regardless of how often they fly and how many kills they have.

I know you are only trying to make your server more interesting and fairer and maybe what you have done is good for most of your players and should not be changed.  I am just saying it does not suit us.  That is life.    You only need to care about how it affects my squad and Liefrs squad if it turns out that  significant number of other squads or people that otherwise like the way Finnish dynamic campaign works feel the same as us.     I would never advocate a server being designed to suit the majority of all IL2 players or they would all be Airquake fly-die-fly-die servers with GPS and no penalties for dying and no reason to land - Yechh!  No thank you 🙂

Server stays interesting when there are people flying on it. Therefore, we are rolling back the award system, so there will only be the rolling planeset. We rather have players with a more accessible system, than more complex system and an empty server. Thank you all for the feedback :)

We'll also be rotating the planesets more frequently, say, every two days.

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Server stays interesting when there are people flying on it. Therefore, we are rolling back the award system, so there will only be the rolling planeset. We rather have players with a more accessible system, than more complex system and an empty server. Thank you all for the feedback :)

We'll also be rotating the planesets more frequently, say, every two days.

Very good news, thank a lot!

I also can confirm that it was a bit problem when flying with others and we can't take same planes so others are forced to take lower tier, also two EAF guys (not quite frequent il2 pilots) were driven away cos they don't like award system.

Again thanks a lot!

Awards system has now been removed from the server. Quite a lot of code was removed from the background app, so please report any bugs you might encounter.

Thank you.  I do appreciate your efforts to stop people just jumping in the best aircraft each time it is just that it did not work for us.   

For us, and this may *only* suit us,  we would probably be OK with being told 'You can have two La5FNs,two Yak-7bs, two Yak-1bs etc per person per map and when you lose both then you must choose another.   If one of us was careless enough to crash two or get shot down twice then we would accept that it was our fault we have to fly the next best aircraft.  All gets reset when the map changes.      Perhaps allow a new replacement after 10 minutes if you crash land in friendly territory and live but not if you bailed because then the plane was destroyed even if you lived.   That system would not be as unrestricted as just allowing unlimited numbers of all planes but would not be too restrictive and might make players make a bigger effort to save their favourite plane while also giving them a chance of having to fly something they usually don't fly because they always choose the same aircraft.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Thank you.  I do appreciate your efforts to stop people just jumping in the best aircraft each time it is just that it did not work for us.   

For us, and this may *only* suit us,  we would probably be OK with being told 'You can have two La5FNs,two Yak-7bs, two Yak-1bs etc per person per map and when you lose both then you must choose another.   If one of us was careless enough to crash two or get shot down twice then we would accept that it was our fault we have to fly the next best aircraft.  All gets reset when the map changes.      Perhaps allow a new replacement after 10 minutes if you crash land in friendly territory and live but not if you bailed because then the plane was destroyed even if you lived.   That system would not be as unrestricted as just allowing unlimited numbers of all planes but would not be too restrictive and might make players make a bigger effort to save their favourite plane while also giving them a chance of having to fly something they usually don't fly because they always choose the same aircraft.

That system would also be more complex to communicate to the players :)

Ideal situation would be that we could control the selection of aircraft on the airfields per player. Then we could do something you suggested.

The current rolling planeset is this:

rollingplaneset.jpg

5 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

That system would also be more complex to communicate to the players

I am wondering if you misunderstood me.  You already tell people on Planeset 3 "OK we have Spits, Yaks, Migs, I16s,Laggs and P40s"  The only extra info is saying "...but you only have two of each."  which is not complex 🙂   

What were you saying about controlling the selection of aircraft on the airfields per player?  Were you thinking of saying 'You have two spitfires and two Yaks on Airfield A but when they are gone you will have to fly from airfield B which has two Migs & two I16s for you."?   

16 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I am wondering if you misunderstood me.  You already tell people on Planeset 3 "OK we have Spits, Yaks, Migs, I16s,Laggs and P40s"  The only extra info is saying "...but you only have two of each."  which is not complex

But as there's no way to show properly if a player has two, one, or none left of each

18 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

What were you saying about controlling the selection of aircraft on the airfields per player?  Were you thinking of saying 'You have two spitfires and two Yaks on Airfield A but when they are gone you will have to fly from airfield B which has two Migs & two I16s for you."? 

When you click a spawn point, it shows all those planes as available. We can't control what's available per player. So we'd run into situation, where a player is left wondering why he got kicked out, because he took a plane he no longer had. Perhaps is best to stick to a more WYSIWYG system (even though we still limit the plane supply of airfields).

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

S!

First post updated. (removed all the parts concerning award points and buying planes)

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

If you want call your server anything near to "historical", then you could think about 

1. removing  the Spitfire IX and the P-47 from the Eastern Front. They were supplied in very small numbers and mostly used in PVO = Home defense units, where they collected dust due to the Luftwaffe's weakness :) .
  2. strictly minimizing the 110G. They hardly flew in Soviet Union, at least not nearly as often as we see it online with its notorious >500kg bombloads. Even wikipedia knows that: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Bf_110#Einsatz_als_Jagdbomber . 1941 was the year of the 110C/E ...

There is something I don't understand. It appears that Maikop factory is functional but actually Maikop is closed. Also there is no tank or naval battle on the current mission. 

image.thumb.png.2b4ab2192ab8e8b68bfcb9d2c37ea4e8.png

image.png.bec523efcb49b948c5adb9ce91b2cd0c.png

On 1/26/2019 at 12:11 AM, -[HRAF]Black_Sab said:

There is something I don't understand. It appears that Maikop factory is functional but actually Maikop is closed. Also there is no tank or naval battle on the current mission. 

image.thumb.png.2b4ab2192ab8e8b68bfcb9d2c37ea4e8.png

image.png.bec523efcb49b948c5adb9ce91b2cd0c.png

Either a bug, or browser had old information in cache.

On another note, it seems I forgot to set the rolling planeset interval when starting the server last time, so the interval was still at seven days. Changed it now to be two days. Also changed the active planeset to be 3 now.

I replaced the cement factory and october factory blocks with some different building blocks, since those two block types contain those indestructible parts (e.g. the "pipes"). Locations of the blocks stayed the same, so the recon pictures should still serve you ok.

• Thanks 1

Nice that your server is decently filled in the evenings again. At least at times. thats good.

I was thinking about halving the amount of AA on the tank base, and halving (roughly) the amount of other objects in the tank base too, so that we could have more than two tank battles per mission. What do you think?

Also, it seems the current planeset doesn't have the f engine for the La-5, will be fixed once I get to restart the server. Thanks for DerSheriff for reporting this. I'll also add the K4 to the last planeset.

One more thing:

We are thinking about having a weekly "Virtual Wednesday" event, where we would make the server settings more friendly to VR users (e.g. icons on).

2 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

I was thinking about halving the amount of AA on the tank base, and halving (roughly) the amount of other objects in the tank base too, so that we could have more than two tank battles per mission. What do you think?

Also, it seems the current planeset doesn't have the f engine for the La-5, will be fixed once I get to restart the server. Thanks for DerSheriff for reporting this. I'll also add the K4 to the last planeset.

Nothing is definite so why not to try!

Is this GPS icons or icons on aircraft?

As I only play Il2-GB in VR and have done for the last 14-16 months, have never found the need for icons of the above to help in VR. I am not saying others don't have a problem, but icons to resolve VR issues or make it more friendly for VR users, personally I don't think that is the answer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

One more thing:

We are thinking about having a weekly "Virtual Wednesday" event, where we would make the server settings more friendly to VR users (e.g. icons on).

Arghh!  NO, please, NO, I've used  VR for 14 months, along with Black-Bart, and icons would completely ruin the immersion for us and our favourite method of attack which is REDACTED, this (icons) would actually benefit non VR users, as it would just make it "even easier" for people to be lazy and not keep a good lookout, already TrackIR means their head is on a 180' swivel and with preset snap-view positions they can simply look almost directly behind. If you were going to do something for VR users it should be to restrict TrackIR head movements/snap-views to the same range of view that VR users get, and make it as hard to look backwards for any length of time.

Full respect to the real WWII pilots who not only had physical restrictions on looking behind, as VR users do, but also being strapped into a parachute, a mae west, the seat straps and all the time wearing goggles and oxygen mask.

Really enjoying Finnish server now the awards system has been removed.

<S>alute.

Black-Witch

Edited by Black-Witch
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Server updated to 3.010 and the fix to planeset is now in effect.

3 hours ago, Black-Witch said:

If you were going to do something for VR users it should be to restrict TrackIR head movements/snap-views to the same range of view that VR users get, and make it as hard to look backwards for any length of time.

Too bad this is something we have no control over. It's one night a week, so let's see how the VR Wednesday will be received. Surely, you can live one day without your dose of our server (if you choose not to fly)? :)

It is unfortunate for my squad that you chose Wednesday to put icons on as that is one of our bi-weekly squad nights and we don't  play servers with icons 😞       Never mind,  whatever day you chose would upset somebody.

Me and my two buddies are VR users too and we have no need or wish to fly on server with enabled icons.

But we'll live without flying once a week on a Finnish server :)

What we've been hearing about VR is that icons would level the playing field with non-VR users, for example as regards identification of contacts. But seems you guys have that sorted out. Perhaps we won't need to have that icons on day (doesn't necessarily need to be Wednesday, btw) at all.

On another note, changed and repositioned one building block in Novovelichkovskaya depot (d4) so that it shouldn't be hidden behind trees anymore.

• Like 1

Starting from now, the mission will be rotated when the following conditions are met:
1. The mission has rotated when an airfield has been in a capturable state, i.e. the mission time has run out when an airfield has been capturable.
2. In the rotated mission, the airfield has been capturable for a certain time (I forget now how long this is, but it's something like 2 hrs or such), and after this time the airfield is set as non-capturable.
3. All tank battles in the mission are resolved.
This should get rid of the state where tank battles are resolved and no airfield is capturable, but the mission is still rolling, .i.e. "when there's nothing to do".

• Like 1

Virtual Friday!

The Finnish VirtualPilots' server will have "Virtual Friday" event starting today. This means that icons and GPS will be on every Friday. Based on player numbers during Fridays, we'll see if this will become a permanent event.

• Confused 2

S!

Small adjustements/additions:
- airfield AAA AI is now set to "high" setting

- airfields now have sirens to alarm pilots taking off about incoming enemies

Also, fixed a bug about if you ditched/crashed at an enemy airfield, the plane would be added to the supply of the enemy airfield :) ... Now it works properly, and only adds the plane to the supply of the enemy airfield if you land it intact.

13 minutes ago, LLv34_Untamo said:

airfield AAA AI is now set to "high" setting

This doesn’t apply to the 88 mm and 85 mm AAA. They are still ”medium”.

1 hour ago, TUS_Samuel said:

LOL how is that possible?

Don't know. We have very little control over the stats system. :)

3 hours ago, TUS_Samuel said:

LOL how is that possible?

Damage with no recorded cause is usually damage you did yourself like a bad landing.  The first one is strange though as it shows no damage, just death.  Do we have any bombs that  will explode if dropped while parked?     The second one can be reproduced by using your gunner to damage your own tail or firing a flare at your wing or touching the ground without crashing.

7 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

no damage, just death

Just death 10 minutes later after player exited to menu and already started a new flight.