LLv34_Untamo

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

To the FW-190 Pilot who attacked my Pe2 after I divebombed the depot. 

I lost server connection while trying to bail out, it should have been your victory. Sorry for that, it happens often latly...

Yeah, since switching my key to a Steam one I am also getting that awful disconnection issue they introduced with 3.001 for so many people. Not as bad as for some, but often enough that I am constantly annoyed and anxious while in the air.

I get kicked out 4 times in the space of an hour on Tuesday.  The second one was particularly annoying because I had just flown for 15 minutes to resupply a closed airfield while my wingman orbited the field patiently the whole time to make sure nobody interfered.  I was on finals when I disco'd!     I was actually in the early stages of a dogfight the first time so I hope my opponent does not think I bugged out on purpose. Luckily I had not taken any damage on any of the four flights so did not get penalised.

I wonder why the VVS-tide has been stifled and seemingly halted at the Rzhev / Staritsa pocket? 

Is it because EAF have disappeared? :P

9 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I get kicked out 4 times in the space of an hour on Tuesday.  The second one was particularly annoying because I had just flown for 15 minutes to resupply a closed airfield while my wingman orbited the field patiently the whole time to make sure nobody interfered.  I was on finals when I disco'd!     I was actually in the early stages of a dogfight the first time so I hope my opponent does not think I bugged out on purpose. Luckily I had not taken any damage on any of the four flights so did not get penalised.

Those are the worst!

The first time it happened to me after switching keys I was literally only seconds away from dropping the bombs after flying for half an hour to a depot :blink:

4 hours ago, Leifr said:

I wonder why the VVS-tide has been stifled and seemingly halted at the Rzhev / Staritsa pocket? 

Is it because EAF have disappeared? :P

It is more or less correct.

Reallife issues have taken up the time of the three most active EAF pilots.

Combined with the changes which makes it necessary to fly as a team of two or more If you care for your career. There is not really not a lot to do when you are alone.

So when I have an hour or two, I usually fly resupply or repair mission which give ZERO points on my caree.

10 hours ago, EAF_Starfire said:

Reallife issues have taken up the time of the three most active EAF pilots.

Yeah. I'm currently installing new flooring to the house, so time for anything else is pretty much non-existent. :(

I’m willing to bet the limited planeset has put some folk off, or restricted their available selection. It’s easier to just not bother and go fly somewhere else. 

Before it it was implemented Finnish was routinely full and sometimes difficult to join - now I have no problem. 

Hmpf, it was going fairly well in past few weeks. Either BoM or BoS planesets did not reduce the numbers in any significant way. But this week is really empty ... and you would think that a chance to play Kuban aircraft on 24/7 scenario would actually be attractive. 

Perhaps more aircraft should be included ? 

On 4/14/2018 at 11:54 PM, =362nd_FS=Hiromachi said:

40+ people tonight. I guess you just need to encourage some and rest will come. Hopefully numbers will be better during the week as well. 

Yup, it's usually just like that for any empty server. You go in, someone else follows. Then they just keep coming :)

Eternal standing. The army receives direct supplies from the factory, but must from the warehouse. Correct this error. Otherwise, we will always fight with Staritsi and Rzhev.

5 minutes ago, =SA=Semz said:

Eternal standing. The army receives direct supplies from the factory, but must from the warehouse. Correct this error. Otherwise, we will always fight with Staritsi and Rzhev.

No. The solution is to close the factories. It's been done before.

Yeah. The current standstill is mostly due to EAF not flying as much and some Red night-shift pilots missing.

The situation itself has been around before.

In case a video maker is only reading this thread, someone posted a workaround for the broken track recording:

7 hours ago, 72AGs_Obi said:

hey guys, not sure if someone else posted the solution to playing the recorded tracks, I posted it on the russian speaking forum but not here before.

Because of this bug, you can't even read the server's description when you click on your record.

New IL-2 version doesn't read the symbol % correctly from the file with the server's description.  And the TAW server's description has lot's of % symbols in it. You can find these files (for each supported language) under the track's folder. All files have the same issue so if you use the English version, update that file with the English description, and so on, you just need to update the file that matches your IL-2 version of the game.

So replace this symbol % with something else (it's just a text file) or completely remove all occurrences of it and you should be fine reading and playing it.

Sorry, with my laptop with no game installed, so don't have a good example, but recently the server Berloga after my notes removed all %s in the description and the records from it work fine now. Until the TAW guys update the description with no %s in it, you can fix it by yourself by updating the file.

One example, for the track in Berloga server, this is the file name with the russian description: berloga.rus 

Enjoy)

1 minute ago, wellenbrecher said:

In case a video maker is only reading this thread, someone posted a workaround for the broken track recording:

yes furthermore @Serveradmin, pls remove the % from the mission descriptions. That not only fixes the black screen but, but gives the progressbar in replays finally a timer

15 minutes ago, DerSheriff said:

yes furthermore @Serveradmin, pls remove the % from the mission descriptions. That not only fixes the black screen but, but gives the progressbar in replays finally a timer

Done. Should be there once the mission rotates the next time (in about 15 minutes).

• Thanks 1

Excellent!

By the by Temuri, are you able to track how much tonnage has been dropped on an airfield?

3 minutes ago, Leifr said:

By the by Temuri, are you able to track how much tonnage has been dropped on an airfield?

Do you mean how many tons of bombs have been used to bomb airfield objects? Just looked at the log lines.. There used to be just "explosion" in the ammo type used when bombs were being used, but now it seems that the bomb type is shown as well. "BOMB_GER_SC1000" for example. So, yes we could parse these if needed. But currently we don't need the data for anything.

2 hours ago, DerSheriff said:

Initial reports say it didn't help.

13 minutes ago, LLv34_Untamo said:

Do you mean how many tons of bombs have been used to bomb airfield objects? Just looked at the log lines.. There used to be just "explosion" in the ammo type used when bombs were being used, but now it seems that the bomb type is shown as well. "BOMB_GER_SC1000" for example. So, yes we could parse these if needed. But currently we don't need the data for anything.

Well, it was some idle thought last week on a particularly long bombing sortie. I wondered if it was possible to track the tonnage dropped on an airfield (within a perimeter) in an effort to close it. The old Storm of War server in Cliffs allowed airfield closures this way and typically required multiple flights of several bombers to achieve the objective. It strikes me that the current situation where infrastructure is destroyed could be made a little more sensible. Despite hangars and dispersals being destroyed (and flak!), the actual runway is always still intact.

Just thought it might add a little more flexibility and incentive for folk to fly the larger aircraft.

Well, runway cratering could be detected quite easily (I think coconut's server does this) if we wanted to, but we've been wanting to stay loyal to the original WarBirds system where closing the airfield was tied to the percentage of open objects. For depots and factories we have changed this so it doesn't count flak into the percentage anymore. (They didn't exist in WarBirds, so don't care so much ;) )

Why not both? :P

I don't feel it's particularly common to see closed airfields but it is feasible with a small group of fighters.

Interesting idea, although I think this could already be done by placing fake_blocks on the runway. I think some server did this earlier, but it was considered too easy to close the airfield this way. I just don't recall what durability values they used for the fake_blocks.

Quickly thinking, this would bring about two different "closed" states for an airfield:
1. Only runway destroyed: no flights can take off, airfield cannot be captured. How fast could a runway be repaired?

2. Needed amount of objects destroyed, no flights can take off, airfield can be captured.

These two states would need to be indicated clearly, so that people wouldn't confuse them. IIRC, there isn't a way to keep the airfield "active" (red/blue color stays inside the spawn ring) and at the same time prevent people from spawning in.

4 minutes ago, LLv34_Untamo said:

Well, runway cratering could be detected quite easily (I think coconut's server does this) if we wanted to, but we've been wanting to stay loyal to the original WarBirds system where closing the airfield was tied to the percentage of open objects.

We of course could make runway one of the "objects", but need to consider if and how it would be feasible to do.

Aand I'd rather have this kind of runway bombing in a setting similar to SEOW :P

Edited by LLv34_Temuri

50 minutes ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

At least I could fix the replays that way. We have to check the mission description of the replay in that case

Speaking of the runway thing, I have the same flightsim background and Leifr, flying SoW with him and all that and having recently discovered the joys of sedate and relaxed level bombing, I'd love to have airfields be viable targets for this.

On the one hand.

On the other hand however, unlike CLoD the planeset in this game features some mighty fast and small/nimble planes that can still carry a bomb load pretty much comparable to what any dedicated CloD bomber could manage. Mainly thinking of the 190 and 110 here.

Now having those zoom in low and fast and just dump their stuff on the runway, eliminating any and all need to properly aim or danger from having to engage multiple small targets in different places, would likely backfire rather spectacularly in terms of gameplay.

Especially in a  24/7 scenario such as this server where all targets are all always available, again unlike the Storm of War server did it. Having no effort, no skill and no real time investment closures of fields on empty servers benefits no one.

Well, if we were to do this, it would require multiple (even closer to 10 ?) hits with say 250-500kg bombs or something similar.  So, one fighter wouldn't do much.

2 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

The mission description still has "%" symbols

20180418142556_1.thumb.jpg.1db51764a944de74ec7ebff239ffa82d.jpg

1 minute ago, DerSheriff said:

The mission description still has "%" symbols

20180418142556_1.thumb.jpg.1db51764a944de74ec7ebff239ffa82d.jpg

That may be because of existing language files. Could you remove every file from the "data/Multiplayer/moscowwb" folder and try again?

7 minutes ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

That may be because of existing language files. Could you remove every file from the "data/Multiplayer/moscowwb" folder and try again?

works now :salute:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LLv34_Untamo said:

Well, if we were to do this, it would require multiple (even closer to 10 ?) hits with say 250-500kg bombs or something similar.  So, one fighter wouldn't do much.

Then the issue would still be that it's faster (and way easier!) to take 110s and 190s, go in low and fast - hitting a runway with a bomb should be doable for every single player that has a button bound to drop bombs and is able to take off :P - and do so in two or three sorties in the time it takes a dedicated bombing craft to even get to altitude. Let alone on target, aligned correctly and the bomb sight set up and then back home and so on and so forth.

IMO at least, it would negate the need to even hit single targets in multiple passes which is what makes attacking AFs dangerous in the first place. 

As I said before, I won't lie and I'm readily willing to admit I'd love to have a reliable way to take out AFs with my trusty 88 from comfortable 5km or 7km of altitude even when it takes multiple sorties. In fact we mostly ignore AFs right now because of how scattered the targets are and we're stat whores to a certain degree. :happy:

But looking at the bigger picture I'd expect it would just lead to suicidal bombing runs by small craft instead, which then would be justified in ignoring the dangers of taking on the defensive armament and the business of actually aiming their bombs on scattered targets.

For the record, I am not saying that taking out AFs in the existing system is hard - I've done it together with Leifr in 190s and 110s with just the two of us and during a single sortie multiple times by now and I've done it on my own at the very least once that I can recall - but people will look for the quickest and easiest way to do things and flock to it. 

Edited by wellenbrecher

I think it would be cool to have "fake blocks" on the runway in addition to the other targets (so they count towards "objects closed"). This will make hitting the runway useful but not overpowered, high altitude bombers will have something other than the hangars to aim at, and in the meantime it could possibly make it take a little bit longer for smaller aircraft to close an airfield (they need more bombs, and they can't close the airfield just by targeting all the small objects).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Porky said:

I think it would be cool to have "fake blocks" on the runway in addition to the other targets (so they count towards "objects closed"). This will make hitting the runway useful but not overpowered, high altitude bombers will have something other than the hangars to aim at, and in the meantime it could possibly make it take a little bit longer for smaller aircraft to close an airfield (they need more bombs, and they can't close the airfield just by targeting all the small objects).

This would bring the issue I wrote about above.

I think bombing a runway, and thus having the runway be unusable, would work in a coop type campaign, where you could set it so that players can't take off from the airfield in the following mission.

On 16.1.2017 at 10:31 AM, LLv44_Kanttori said:

Karelia-project is alive but we have not started because there are coming some new features with the Kuban ad Odessa maps, for ex. sea bottom. There are any puplic thread of the Karelia map making before we have something to show with it... ;)

Just curious, now that Kuban is out, has this project become active again?

6 hours ago, II./JG77_Kemp said:

Just curious, now that Kuban is out, has this project become active again?

"Hiljaa hyvä tulee" :)

I'm thinking, because of this: 

if we should just enable the GPS, since you already kind of have it.

Oh god please no! :(

Even if that hella stupid functionality is forced on us for some god forsaken Russian reason I for one can convince myself to actually navigate myself when it's just a zoom and not a constant reminder.

/edit

That sounded more racist/whatever than intended actually. Oops.

Just meant to say that Russian devs often move in mysterious ways...

Edited by wellenbrecher

Err, could it be that the current mission that just ended was spawned without any tank battles? There were no won/lost/active battles visible to me in-game or in the "Situation at the front" button on the stats page.

Edited by wellenbrecher