LLv34_Untamo

Finnish VirtualPilots - Dynamic War

I find it way to hard since you make radar at airport. There is no chance surviving in a regular bomber, ground attacker . 

Hi LK, thanks for joining the fun at the server.

During WW2 on the eastern front, the main objective of both LW and VVS was to provide tactical close air support to the ground troops. On the Finnish Virtualpilots' Dynamic War server we are trying to re-create this, I believe for the first time online gaming history, by creating an AI controlled ground battle which is triggered by the actions of the players. The point of the Dynamic War is to advance the frontline by capturing enemy territory and airbases. The team which captures all of the airbases is the winner.

The map has a number of airbases and multiple pairs of German and Soviet "Combat Zones". The CZ's define the frontline. To advance the frontline, you must support your AI controlled ground troops to capture the enemy CZ. To launch the ground attack, you must first destroy 50% of an enemy CZ. This launches an AI-controlled tank attack to capture the CZ. As the tanks advance, you must cover them, otherwise they are easy prey for the enemy ground attack planes. Once the tanks get close to the CZ, make sure the CZ stays down as any remaining ground guns will easily kill the tanks. When the tanks reach the CZ, the CZ is captured and the frontline moves. Then you can attack the next CZ.  At some point the frontline will advance to an enemy airbase. To capture the airbase, first you have to destroy 80% of the objects to close the field. Once the field is closed, you have to land paratroopers on the field to capture it.  Rinse and repeat until all airbases are captured and the war is won.

If the enemy is attacking your CZ, make sure the tanks don't get through.  And of course, if you destroy 50% of their corresponding CZ, this will launch an AI tank attack from your CZ, resulting in a tank battle. You can also drive a tank from the CZ and participate in the battle from the ground.  To prevent an airfield from being captured, you can fly supplies to the field to rebuild the objects quicker.

All this requires team work and coordination. Squads are strongly encouraged to participate.

Any questions, comments, suggestions or ideas?

Thanks! :)

Camo

Still wished for Radar was disabled, the flak and warning should be more than enough For fighters to have fun with the limping ac coming out of the flak fight

• Upvote 1

Still wished for Radar was disabled, the flak and warning should be more than enough For fighters to have fun with the limping ac coming out of the flak fight

You can disable the radar at airbases by destroying the antenna object. The standard down time is 45 minutes.

To find the radar antennas at each air base, please see the recon pictures in the server FAQ: http://ts3.virtualpilots.fi:8000/en/faq/

For example, here is Klin:

KlinAirfield.jpg

Camo

Edited by LLv34_Camouflage

Just for info: server somehow refused a connection. I was able to download the mission file, 5 - 10 sec and I dropped out to the multiplayer-screen. Tried it several times, maybe 44/84 players is a kind of upper-limit? Other servers accepted me at once, so I dare to say your server might be the reason. (Anyhow, nice to see 44 flying online here :good: )

Edited by 216th_Retnek

Just an off-topic question, I read that you started to work on a Karelia or Gulf of Finland map. Is this project still alive and if it is, do you post any kind of updates about it somewhere?

Karelia-project is alive but we have not started because there are coming some new features with the Kuban ad Odessa maps, for ex. sea bottom. There are any puplic thread of the Karelia map making before we have something to show with it... ;)

• Upvote 1

S!

Regarding recent connection / lag problems:

As the server got more attendance, and we hit the ~30 player mark, we hit a problem: the IL-2 BoX DServer uses a helluva lot more upload bandwidth than IL-2 1946 dserver and the connection was choked.

To deal with this, we have ordered a 1000/100 connection from the ISP (old one was 40/10). The new bandwidth should be available in couple of days (hopefully for this weekend :)).

• Upvote 1

S!

New connection is now live. Player limit lifted back to maximum. Sounds like a time for a stress test? :) ... Come test our server!

server sounds great maybe one day ill get in

tried many times now and after downloading files nothing happens..
back to lobby.

maybe it was just full on the new 40 players limit.

server sounds great maybe one day ill get in

tried many times now and after downloading files nothing happens..

back to lobby.

maybe it was just full on the new 40 players limit.

We don't know what causes this. Just keep trying, it will let you in. Some of our guys have the same problem. It might be because the mission file is quite big and downloading it takes too long or something....

We don't know what causes this. Just keep trying, it will let you in. Some of our guys have the same problem. It might be because the mission file is quite big and downloading it takes too long or something....

And to add to that: the player limit is 84.

We've had a situation, where one of our guys can get in when there aren't many players on the server, but when there are about 15+, he can't get in.

What is the ping limit (as it it located in Finland?)

im trying to figure what my ping might be
it does not show in the ping list which should means its well under 250ms.

Re:
Australia Here is there an IP (even from a shop nearby the server i can test on?)

Edited by =r4t=Sshadow14

What is the ping limit (as it it located in Finland?)

im trying to figure what my ping might be

it does not show in the ping list which should means its well under 250ms.

Re:

Australia Here is there an IP (even from a shop nearby the server i can test on?)

Ping limit is 500, so I think that shouldn't be the issue. I wouldn't think you would try play with that kind of ping :)

no i would not get that.. 500 is entire loop around the world back to me.

but with that limit it wont be ping (maybe its the large mission file)

I just checked my folders and the last attempt it did not even make the folder for files?
cm0dYaV.jpg

will try again soon

"moscowwb" is the folder for our server's missions.

It's currently running the "MoscowDynamicWarAutumnWindy" mission, so look for those files.

In some cases, where a player has had trouble getting in, it has helped to remove the current mission folder, so the game is forced to re-download the mission.

Yeah i did this (Actually i do this all the time once a week)

So the fact i thought "moscowwb" was you and not Random expert has me a little confused as maybe they using same name?
going to check now your server is empty

Edit: Tested and got in ok.. such a big map with so much to do great work..

Edited by =r4t=Sshadow14
  • Upvote 1

Implementation for German Ju-52 paratroopers capturing an airfield is underway.

"Why not for Russian?" Because there is no way to lock Russian skin for Ju-52, and we need to have Jason and the team make us the Li-2 anyway someday ;)

There also seems to be a bug where the "previous" tank base is not reactivated after the time to capture an airfield is up. That's the reason why there was a gap in the frontline between Solodilovo and Klin today. Klin had been open for attack, but was not captured.

So for the time being: when you get an airfield to a capturable state, save us the trouble and really capture the field :)

You can disable the radar at airbases by destroying the antenna object. The standard down time is 45 minutes.

So, what does a radar show and what happens, when you destroy it?

So, what does a radar show and what happens, when you destroy it?

The radar object gives you the 10km radar circle on the map, in which you can see friendly and enemy planes. If it is destroyed, then the radar also disappears from the map. And will appear again, when respawned.

S!

Updates:

- LLv32_Kanttori has made recon pics of the tank bases, they can be found here: http://forum.virtualpilots.fi/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2739

- Changed victory condition so, that the last airfield doesn't need to be captured. This is because it would be hellish for the defending side to be forced to take off from a field that is under attack with no alternative fields available.

Would love to play here

but often so empty and i dont feel right flying a mission when nobody on other team
had 4 people who were going to join me but it would have been 5 v 0 :|

I was wondering about the triggered advances, is it possible to have a huge battle where to win, one side must push the other completely off the map? I am very interested in the ground war on the Eastern Front, was thinking that maybe there should be a chance for a counterattack triggered if the other sides tanks break through. Also, maybe instead of capturing airfields(a mainly strategic air operation), the teams should focus on capturing villages, many of which would be insanly defended(AT guns both on the outskirts and inside the town, ready ti ambush tanks. Then, you could capture the village with paras and next mission, there would be friendly defenses in the town.

Edited by hames123

Would love to play here

but often so empty and i dont feel right flying a mission when nobody on other team

had 4 people who were going to join me but it would have been 5 v 0 :|

IIRC, you are located in Australia. That would mean that if you wanted to fly on the server's prime time (~20:00-23:00 EET), you'd need to get up at 5 AM. We sometimes have events organized by LLv32_Kanttori on the weekend. Maybe you could join one of those, to be sure there are other players too.

We've also been thinking about having AI planes when there are only a few players on the server, but for now we are not implementing that.

I was wondering about the triggered advances, is it possible to have a huge battle where to win, one side must push the other completely off the map? I am very interested in the ground war on the Eastern Front, was thinking that maybe there should be a chance for a counterattack triggered if the other sides tanks break through. Also, maybe instead of capturing airfields(a mainly strategic air operation), the teams should focus on capturing villages, many of which would be insanly defended(AT guns both on the outskirts and inside the town, ready ti ambush tanks. Then, you could capture the village with paras and next mission, there would be friendly defenses in the town.

Currently the goal of the mission is, in general, what you describe: push the other side completely off the map. The are basically two ways of doing a counterattack:

1. Between some airfields, there are two sets of "combat zones" with a tank base for both sides in each. If one side loses the battle in zone A, they have the task of winning the battle in zone B, which then moves the battle back to zone A.

2. Counterattack between tank bases: when side A has destroyed 50% of the defenses in side B's tank base, side A tanks start advancing. Now, if side B also destroys 50% of the defenses in side A's tank base, side B tanks start advancing. This results in a tank battle between the tank bases.

The same idea about capturing villages/cities has been in my mind too. The reason we have the current airfield capturing gameplay is because, originally,  we wanted to have something similar to what the old Il-2 War-Birds Freehost (http://www.war-birds.com/) had, as me and LLv34_Untamo liked that server a lot. But of course we got more hungry :) and got ideas from our Finnish VirtualPilots friends. However, we still stuck to the basic idea of having an "arena" type of server with airfield capturing missions that run for a long time (if we could, we would even freeze the time so we would have total control on the time of day and length of the missions). We like having this kind of arena, where people can hop in on the action when they have time.

If we were to make implementation that is more close to having real ground war operations, we probably would be doing something akin to old Il-2 SEOW (http://seowhq.net/seowwiki-en/index.php?title=Main_Page), but that would be a huge ordeal.

Edited by LLv34_Temuri

I havent flying much on this server, really like the dynamic scenarios on this server, feels like a live war going on, this server deserves to be full all the time.

Join and do your part! :salute:

i really like the idea of this server but yeah like shadow, AU timezome its pretty much empty and as a squad we would pretty much ramrod the map over 2-3 hours if we all joined one side. (and its a bit boring)

i really like the idea of this server but yeah like shadow, AU timezome its pretty much empty and as a squad we would pretty much ramrod the map over 2-3 hours if we all joined one side. (and its a bit boring)

Could you? :) ... How many are there of you? This is both a question and a challenge ;) ... If you like the server, try to recruit opposition from your time zone to join you in the fight :)

I flew a He111 to the Russian factory toady, it was great fun. However, I have a few suggestions. Insread of having attacks happen when 50% of the enemy defenses are destroyed, they should happen constantly, based on time: i.e. an attack every 3 hours, for example. Also, there could be supply dumps closer to the front, which send convoys to fix the defenses(as they will bo doubt lose AT guns repelling the attack, if they manage to). The campaign ground support missions have this sort of "tanks advancing on a defense" senario, and the tanks often kill a few AT guns on their own, and sometimes even manage to completely break throughm Thus, destroying a few supply dumps in the area can mean that the enemy line will not get repared for a day or so, which is enough time to break through. When a supply dump is destroyed, the factory will send a repair column to fix it. Maybe out of supply troops can have supplies air-dropped by the Ju52s?

Edited by hames123

Hi.

We already had supply convoys on our server, but the mission was just getting too big for the DServer to handle, so we had to drop them in favour of the current tank battles we have. We can't have tank battles going on constantly either, because, same as convoys, too heavy for the server.

The idea about the supply dumps is worth looking into, and we have given them some thought earlier as well. Maybe some time in the future :) ... Supply drops are currently in a frozen state, because we don't get enough information from the mission logs to do them properly. Complex triggers are quite heavy, but we are investigating them also.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

In addition to the dserver performance issues, I think having the tank attacks happen on some fixed intervals would give issues in timing the air to ground attacks, which in turn would slow down the battle progress.

Nice ideas about the supply system.

Thanks, I think your server might be my favourite, thanks for hosting. Too bad I got pinged out early 5 minutes before factory arrived in my bombsights, maybe I will try again tomorrow.

By the way, when a battle occurs, is it the old version where tanks drive towards the enemy lines without firing, or the newer version where they move, stip, fire and move again? Also, I know people will likely scold me for this but is it possible to add the F4 viewpoint? It would be nice to be able to admire our planes and the ground below, flying the He111 alone across the map is lonely stuff. I am trying to recruit a few classmates of mine and form a bomber group, so that it is not as boring.

Edited by hames123

Managed to find the time for two sorties tonight as well (don't get kids) and had a blast, as always. Thanks for hosting this.

Hames, your supply system idea sounds awesome. Hopefully DServer will get an overhaul at some point to allow for this kind of complexity.

I spent alot of my school holiday pondering the perfect campaign with ground attack and long range stuff, but neither TAW nor WOL would listen. I managed to trigger a German attack in the South yesterday, but could not stay to see if it succeeded. If I play tonight and the frontlines have shifted towards Moscow, I will know, I guess.

Could you? :) ... How many are there of you? This is both a question and a challenge ;) ... If you like the server, try to recruit opposition from your time zone to join you in the fight :)

I do like a challenge!

Well on sunday night we had 12 online. Which actually would have been a good time to jump in because its Sunday morning EU so population may have been ok

last night, so midweek we had 8-10 online.

Perhaps we will give it a go, I would certainly love to see you guys add in AI fighters during low population/imbalanced periods that would be great