Han

Developer Diary, Part 125 - Discussion

Hello everyone!

Today we'll show a bit of Ju 88 A-4. The plane is shaping up and it turns out to be an interesting one. First, it has a rich instruments array. Second, it can carry a huge bomb load, almost as heavy as He 111, but Ju 88 is actually a dive bomber, thus it can deliver its bombs with significantly better accuracy. Third, there are interesting engineering decisions that appear in our sim for a first time, for example, radial radiators positioning around engines or significant armor protecting the gunners. Fourth, this bomber can carry up to 44 50 kg bombs, no other plane in the sim can carry so many. Fifth, unlike He 111 H-6, its turrets are armed with MG-81 belt fed machine guns with high rate of fire that allow a thicker defensive fire curtain.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 11

Thanks for the news!

I hope that someday will we have constant 60 fps in all situations. Its wonderful !

Edited by Voidhunger

Aargh! You´re are killing us with teasing the Ju 88!!! :o:  :o:  :o:  I really really can´t wait to get my hands on this one!

The Junkers is a beauty, congratulations on the work with the cockpit, gunner stations and overall model. Can't wait to meet it in the skies! :)

For the fighter bunch, this may be of interest:

In addition, last week our engineers tested the planes turn time and climb rate, so we updated the Dev Diary #123 with the corrected data. Fw 190 flight model was also corrected (thanks to [i.B.]ViRUS for his cool finding of additional Fw 190 A-4 Lift-Drag curves) so its turn tume and climb rate correspond to the reference better.

Looks great.

Possibly the best created JU88 of all flight sims?

• Upvote 1

Yep, the Ju88 looks GREAT!  Interested to see how the Würger handles as well.

Fw 190 flight model was also corrected (thanks to [i.B.]ViRUS for his cool finding of additional Fw 190 A-4 Lift-Drag curves) so its turn tume and climb rate correspond to the reference better.

I guess no further commenting needed :)

Ju-88 teases in mass and promotions about Fw-190 fixes - they're definetly hitting a nerve with this one!

Great news and very nice looking cockpit indeed. Love how flipping the gunner's seat is incoperated into the starting sequence :)

Whoa, when the Junkers lets go of that bomb load it looks almost like a B-52 over Vietnam...

"Fw 190 flight model was also corrected (thanks to [i.B.]ViRUS for his cool finding of additional Fw 190 A-4 Lift-Drag curves) so its turn tume and climb rate correspond to the reference better."

- IBVirus must be right chuffed, great contribution and well done to the devs for crediting him. It shows that they take account of well-informed and constructive contributions.

Edited by Freycinet
  • Upvote 6

- IBVirus must be right chuffed, great contribution and well done to the devs for crediting him. It shows that they take account of well-informed and constructive contributions.

Yep, we're :)

• Upvote 14

I can't wait to get my hands all over that Ju-88! I hope it has the torpedo field mod for the ships.

Considering the Junkers had all those bombs under the wings I thought it was weird when the bomb bays opened, and expected some 4-8 bombs to drop from there. But they kept falling... and falling... and falling... Looks fun to fly :)

thanks for those amazing pictures! can't wait to fly it myself 

train_6.jpg

Wow!!

Looks great, loved the engine sound from the cockpit (although just watched the video on my phone with bad headphones. Desktop should sound even better).

Those guns look like they could tear your soul apart if you approach low from 6 o'clock. Are they similar to the stuka but higher ammo capacity?

I think im going to fly this one a lot!!

Those guns look like they could tear your soul apart if you approach low from 6 o'clock. Are they similar to the stuka but higher ammo capacity?

Yes, MG 81Z. 

How are the top guns going to work? Switching from one to the other, or can we use them simultaneously, sort of like in BF1942?

Great looking Ju 88 :)

Is it possible to get ammunition into the chute that guides the ammo belt from the can to the MG 81 of the Ju 88 and Ju 87?

In game Ju 87 MG81Z with empty ammunition chute marked with red colour
 post-385-0-55247300-1457722360_thumb.jpg

Real MG 81Z with ammunition in the chute.

post-385-0-98232100-1457722093_thumb.jpg

Ju 88 Gunner just shooting the last few rounds from the MG 81. The ammunition chute is now empty.

post-385-0-54474700-1457722110_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

ehm... about Ju-88 only one thing - WOW!  :o:  :o:  :o:

Phantastic work dev team, I'm impressed. Keep in good work.  :salute:

Outstanding job. Very impressive, I can not wait!

Fw 190 flight model was also corrected (thanks to [i.B.]ViRUS for his cool finding of additional Fw 190 A-4 Lift-Drag curves) so its turn tume and climb rate correspond to the reference better.

I guess no further commenting needed :)

Whoa, when the Junkers lets go of that bomb load it looks almost like a B-52 over Vietnam...

"Fw 190 flight model was also corrected (thanks to [i.B.]ViRUS for his cool finding of additional Fw 190 A-4 Lift-Drag curves) so its turn tume and climb rate correspond to the reference better."

:biggrin:  Wow! Really!! I haven't even checked out the Ju88 pics and video yet - just had to comment on this.

Well done for coming through in the end. But next time..... please there must be an easier way :)

Edited by kendo

I wonder how much height it gains when it drops it's payload. If, for example, you where in formation and the lead aircraft dropped it's bomb load before you, would he suddenly shoot up 500 feet ? I assume it would make even more of a mess of bombing accuracy by the time the last bomb left the rack, not a that anything in the 1940's was what we might consider even reasonable by todays standards for dumb bombs.

Can someone translate 190 changes ?? Does it mean increase or decrease in performance??

Only one I'm certain of is Climb rate at 6000 m which has been increased from 9.5m/s to 10.1 m/s

Very, very nice modeling work. Really captures the spirit of that amazing piece of machinery, and the cockpit is just a treasure trove of detail work. Unlike in ClOD I really think you get a feeling of just how cramped that pit was.

One question: Why is there a ReVi gun sight in the pilot's position? I was under the impression, that the Ju 88 would have no fixed forward firing armament. Is it simply a stand-in for a proper StuVi?

• Upvote 2

I wonder how much height it gains when it drops it's payload. If, for example, you where in formation and the lead aircraft dropped it's bomb load before you, would he suddenly shoot up 500 feet ? I assume it would make even more of a mess of bombing accuracy by the time the last bomb left the rack, not a that anything in the 1940's was what we might consider even reasonable by todays standards for dumb bombs.

You are describing it as if the Ju88 behaved like a hot air balloon.

Not making much sense to me.

Can someone translate 190 changes ?? Does it mean increase or decrease in performance??

increase in climb rate and better turn time

climb rate at 0m is now not too far away from the Yak. If we consider that the Yak in game has a very high performing model as source, that seems legit. 

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*

Very, very nice modeling work. Really captures the spirit of that amazing piece of machinery, and the cockpit is just a treasure trove of detail work. Unlike in ClOD I really think you get a feeling of just how cramped that pit was.

One question: Why is there a ReVi gun sight in the pilot's position? I was under the impression, that the Ju 88 would have no fixed forward firing armament. Is it simply a stand-in for a proper StuVi?

IIRC the forward gun can be fired by the pilot in fixed position or by the gunner when released…

It would not "suddenly shoot up", but upon releasing the bombs, the Ju 88 would lose as much as 20% of its weight, so if it was flying straight and level at the time of release, it would definately immediately start to climb and accelerate, but propably not more than could be countered by a quick trimming.

IIRC the forward gun can be fired by the pilot in fixed position or by the gunner when released…

But did they really install a complete ReVi just for that incredibly minor feature?