Han

Finding the cause of a random crash issue (Special Thread #1)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, -DED-Rapidus said:

@Missionbug , again, not the dumps...Il il2 Forgotten battles...not a great battle. (you get crash with a super_driver_adapter that might be a virus or malware)

Hello again Michael, sorry for the trouble but I am confused as to what you require, I used the  'ViewCrashDumps' command that is inside the data folder of the particular install of 'IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles' created when I installed that particular version last week, those files are what it shows me.:blush:

Cras dump image.jpg

As for a Malware issue, yesterday prior to running the particular mission that was okay I had quarantined two files that Malwarebytes had  instructed were a issue so are you saying that is what was causing the crash the previous day?

When I installed that version of  'IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles' last week Malwarebytes would not let me start it until I had given permission for it to ignore the Il2 launcher, following that all was okay until I had the crash issues on the 27th.

Anyway, thank you very much for taking a look and trying to help me undersatand what is going on, really appreciated.

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug

As of last night I managed to fly two missions in the career without a crash, what exactly fixed things or how long it will last as of yet I do not know.;)

I installed the newly downloaded files along with various components from the other install yet still had the crash in various parts of a Tempest career mission, still nothing in the log indicating Great Battles, but it is the only thing so far that has had the issue, or so it seems, it only happened when I fired this up.

Malwarebytes was instructed to accept the launcher and the IL-2 site, still crashed.

Turned Malwarebytes off, still crashed.

Tried lowering the graphics components because for some strange reason I had started getting FPS as low as 30 on the European map, mine is not the most powerful machine and is some years old but I have generally a fairly constant 60 FPS, still the mission would crash.

The only new hardware I have is the joystick so I thought I would re-install the drivers as that was having some odd moments.

When I transferred my campaigns I also moved the file for the career, not sure if that should be done but it worked, or did it, I decided to erase that and start from fresh with a new career.

So, with the last two things above done I fired up IL-2 and was confronted with a small window of the game screen, WHAT!  The graphics looked poor and it turned out I had to sort out my screen resolution settings to cure that and so with that done I logged in anew and fired up the game and a new career and managed to complete the two missions mentioned at the start, hurray.

First thing I noticed was the 60 FPS was back and the mouse was not sluggish looking around, all seemed okay with both missions, there was a break between the two as I went for tea and toast.

So that is where I left things, I struggle with health issues so cannot use  hands and arms for long so it was time to shut down unfortunately, nothing more I could do then.

Not sure what restored the game and my sanity, however, I think maybe adding the drivers for the stick might have overwritten something that was corrupted or even replaced something missing, for now I can only continue testing and see where it takes me.

I will try some further missions tonight and see if the game works after a nights rest and a new boot up while it is in mods off mode and if all goes well I will reintroduce some things gradually to see if any further issues arise.

Take care and be safe.

• Like 1

Hello again Michael, I tried the career again last night and there was no issue at all that I noticed so it would seem whatever was causing the crash has now gone, at least I hope so.:cool:

I reinstalled JSGME also last night once satisfied the sim was again working without incident, added the authentic markings and again fired up the career and again there was not any problems so later I will try one of the scripted campaigns just to confirm all is still well.;)

Still clueless as to what the issue was causing the crashes, the latest download from the site only had one event where it failed to update and had to be started again, maybe the previous one had some corruption due to the long download times and multiple disconnections I had or maybe adding the joystick drivers again helped, who knows, hopefully that little drama is behind me now and I will not have a recurrence.

Thank you very much for the help, really appreciated.

Take care and be safe.

I need to report a crash, I will be playing in the new 4.009, new missions for tanks (specifically Tiger I and Panther) and near the end of the mission each time....a total of four times now....Also once flying the 109k mission....I get a complete crash to computer restart.....I mean this crashes the computer....not just to desktop....There is a sound stutter ( happens a few times before the actual crash) Its happened enough times to note that multiple AI's are in the area, or will be soon... During the 109k mission we had just finished forming up and going foreword to the next way point. 

I'm not a computer wizz kid ....Its a Lenovo ....its a desktop ....Windows 10 

If you need real technical data, I can dig it up no problem....

However its never happened before the update, and only in the Missions involving friendly AI 

Thannx 

@db605Sct13, I think you need to check your computer for faulty components(for example, the hard disk has bad blocks or the computer's cooling system is not normal working ).

Please make a report using the dxdiag program and attach the report to the message.

I have a weird problem . . .

Il2 was running perfectly since years now - and out of the blue this:

Game simply doesn't start any more . . .

130139985_APPCRASHScreen1.jpg.2c9bc0186e01276c10880d950b778e71.jpg

Running Windows 7 64 Pro & Oculus Rift   No OC, no fancy background programs.

Didn't change any hardware lately.

Didn't install any new software since weeks.

All other games are working fine.

"ucrtbase.dll" seems to be part of C++ , so I de&reinstalled all C++ versions. No Change . . .

Downloaded Il2 BoX completely new from scratch. Started the untouched new game: same problem . . .

Any ideas?

The only dump-file I could find is this:

Il-2.exe.2908.dmp.zip

Thankful for any help . . . 

little Guardian

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, db605Sct13 said:

OK here is the file from Dx Diag....

This problem only occurs during the gameplay mentioned....I cant do a dxdiag after the fault because the computer reboots....

thanx 

DxDiag september 2020.txt 72.95 kB · 2 downloads

You have some problems with network services. Note the last section in the report.

15 hours ago, -=[]=-little-Guardian said:

Game simply doesn't start any more . . .

Thank you, we will analyze the dump.

OK I'll look into this....

Would this be computer specific (im guessing it is) because there are no additional problems with other computers in the home ....

OK. 

I have been watching this pretty close....happened again (in fact several times) bear in mind it is intermittent, the last Dxdiag is enclosed....there is nothing that points to a network error originating from Il2 

Its # 3 ...not September 2 

Thanks 

DxDiag september3 2020.txt

Hello @Han

I hope you could help me with my CTD problem. The game just freezes for a moment, then CTD. No error message is displayed. Attached are the dxdiag text and the zipped dump file. Thank you very much.

• When you encountered the crash;  Flying in a straight flight. Two allied planes behind me in formation.
  • In what game mode (MP/QMB/campaign/scenario); Single player Mission flying the default Rhineland Tempest Mission
  • In what mission; Default Rhineland Tempest Mission
  • What did you do before the crash; The plane was just flying on a straight path with two allies behind me.
  • What happened in the mission before the crash; The game momentarily froze, then CTD. No error message.
  • Additional info you think is relevant to the crash. None.

Windows Event log:

Faulting application name: Il-2.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x5f623839
Faulting module name: landscape.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f6235d1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000003d747
Faulting process id: 0x47e0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6914df6c20b34
Faulting application path: G:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\bin\game\Il-2.exe
Faulting module path: G:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\bin\game\landscape.dll
Report Id: 6f9438fc-a321-491a-bdd9-7a688234ba61
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Il-2.exe.18400.zip DxDiag.txt

Edited by BP_Lizard
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BP_Lizard said:

No solution from the data I provided?

Yes, there are thoughts, try to roll back the version of the video card drivers to the previous version.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hello Rapidus, Han, et al.

I installed a 4k monitor since a few days, and the latest NVDI 2080ti drvers (clean install). The game runs fine, except one time a freezing hang on booting it.

But I now have constant ME crashes (4.501) on saving experiments with different planes and tigers as linked entry targets.

Stalingrad summer map. I have MODs  installed, seemingly running fine

These ME crashes were not before with my old two 1920x1080 monitors. I will try some other missions tomorrow, but this one annoys me.

PS Had all mission items deleted, and re-imported them from saved group. No difference ...

Win 10 LTSC 64bit, Aorus Gigabyte (?) NVDI 2080ti, Steinberg UR22C audio, USB camera (all other audio devices disabled in Device Manager) . Second 1920x1080 monitor active.

Latest crash was when left clicking on the first plane (called player} - POOF desktop.

Crash happened with file v3x, saving as v4, they should be the same. Enough info? PM if more is needed? Thanks.

Destroying Tigers JJ v03x.zip Destroying Tigers JJ v04.zip STEditor.exe.11308.dmp.zip

NVDIA creenshot_20201001_213025.jpg

NVDIA screenshot_20201001_212923.jpg

Edited by jollyjack
added NVDIA settings
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jollyjack said:

I have MODs  installed, seemingly running fine

Hi, have you tried ME on the version without mods?

image.thumb.png.ed734d9379e2d2bf266b62bb346a0af2.png

I looked, everything is fine. Let's see your dump of course, thank you.

Posted (edited)

Just tried for about 15 minutes, no mods ...  seems running fine now ... looking at the crash dump, that's not for me LoL.

Enabled Mods again ..crash ... added the dump and  JSGME mods viewer.

Now which mod is the bad guy ... i'll enable some and see which one might be a trouble maker.

ADDED: Enabled them again, without Stalingrad Tex Mod ... Crash while zooming in the view port ....

The crash dump below is with those mods ennabled.

Disabled all again, no crashes so far.

I'll let you know if i find the culprit.

Thanks.

screenshot_MODS active.jpg

STEditor.exe.4696.dmp.zip

Edited by jollyjack
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

BTW i think now the mods are not the cause of the crashes .... Added the last crash dump, with mods again ...

Just had a few (random?) crashes on loading a mission besides saving one, see the latest crash dump 13916 added

before it seems in most cases happening when clicking on the player plane (and zooming)

Thnx.

STEditor.exe.13916.dmp.zip

Edited by jollyjack
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2020 at 10:45 AM, BP_Lizard said:

Hello @Han

I hope you could help me with my CTD problem. The game just freezes for a moment, then CTD. No error message is displayed. Attached are the dxdiag text and the zipped dump file. Thank you very much.

• When you encountered the crash;  Flying in a straight flight. Two allied planes behind me in formation.
  • In what game mode (MP/QMB/campaign/scenario); Single player Mission flying the default Rhineland Tempest Mission
  • In what mission; Default Rhineland Tempest Mission
  • What did you do before the crash; The plane was just flying on a straight path with two allies behind me.
  • What happened in the mission before the crash; The game momentarily froze, then CTD. No error message.
  • Additional info you think is relevant to the crash. None.

Windows Event log:

Faulting application name: Il-2.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x5f623839
Faulting module name: landscape.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f6235d1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000003d747
Faulting process id: 0x47e0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6914df6c20b34
Faulting application path: G:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\bin\game\Il-2.exe
Faulting module path: G:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\bin\game\landscape.dll
Report Id: 6f9438fc-a321-491a-bdd9-7a688234ba61
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Il-2.exe.18400.zip 3.53 MB · 2 downloads DxDiag.txt 87.75 kB · 4 downloads

We need the mission and exact location at the time of CTD.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, -DED-Rapidus said:

@jollyjack, is the clean version installed?

Sorry for not replying earlier. We went out with the dog

Might be an idea using a clean installation, I'll try that.

But i begin to think it's a graphic card or monitor related thing.

All worked fine on my Samsung S27C450 1920-1080 monitor. The only real change i made was reinstalling the NVDIA drivers.

I noticed with the game itself  that sometimes the Sturmovik splash screen letter change in size a little ...

I just dragged the ME screen to my old monitor (now the 2nd one), and the fonts are really un-sharp, this wasn't before.

Maybe to do with (automatic?) windows scaling.

For the second monitor it's 100% (windows recommended), for the 4k one it's 150% (windows recommended)

The fonts for Firefox and other stuff look OK on the 1920x1080 monitor however.

Tried changing DP port cable connectors, no difference.

-- ME view on 1920x1080.jpg

It seems windows scaling only woorks for the main screen:

-- Scaling.jpg

Edited by jollyjack

Posted (edited)

PS i have been reading around a bit, and it seems running a 144Hz monitor and a 60Hz one causes problems with various games ....

ADDED: I dragged the ME to my 2nd 1920-1080 monitor, vague picture as above, but IT DOES NOT CRASH !!

Edited by jollyjack

Posted (edited)

FOLLOW UP:

Just tried these graphics settings, for the ME exe in the bin folder.

The screen almost full on 4k monitor, and lines flicker a bit, no ME crashes yet, fingers crossed however .........

Graphic settings 4k monitor 01a.jpg

Graphic settings 4k monitor 01b.jpg

ADDED: CRASH on re-loading mission after 60 minutes ... alas !

Edited by jollyjack

Posted (edited)

For @-DED-Rapidus: there's a windows update KB4570333 to do with scaling errors and 4k.

Testing the ME now ...

ADDED:

I am now more and more convinced it has to do with the way  windows and the ME handles scaling in relation to windows.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/496881136908226991/

Update installed, and (ME) program compatibility settings. Seems a lot more stable, had only one CTD on loading another mission replacing

an existing one:

ME program compatibility settings.jpg

ADDED 2

I had NO crashes for a whole day almost with the ME on the 4k monitor,

IMO definitely crashes have to do with how the ME handles windows scaling ...

Sideline, NVDIA settings, switched supersampling to multi sampling for the game, game time scaling alas only 2x now, but looks better.

Edited by jollyjack
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Then there was an ME crash, SIQ ...... only one in about 8 hours of ME time, CTD.

And another CTD crash, both were while loading a new replacement mission.

Origin Client? https://answers.ea.com/t5/EA-General-Questions/How-do-I-go-back-to-the-old-Origin-Client/td-p/5552492

more scaling tips: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3025083/windows-scaling-issues-for-high-dpi-devices

STEditor.exe.6320.dmp.zip

Edited by jollyjack
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Testing now with these scaling settings for the ME, crashing is worse ....

ME program compatibility settings v2.jpg

Edited by jollyjack

Posted (edited)

I though so, but only for a while, then they happened again .... unchecked the override DPI, seems more stable ..

had some advice to try 2 similar 4k monitors to solve this, but i am going to try just one monitor and will let you know.  ....

Maybe at IL2 some one can look into this, as the game itself runs fine ... only the ME crashes.

Gambit has the same problems, but seems to have more crashes.

It wasn't clear to me if he had the KB4570333 update installed. to do with scaling errors and 4k.

PS he mentioned his crashes were often with zooming, and more often after a fresh program start.

My crashes seem usually on loading another mission.

the settings i use now, windows 8 compatibility has no influence IMO:

ME program compatibility settings.jpg

Edited by jollyjack
  • Thanks 1

• When you encountered the crash;                                     -  moving into position in Panther tank to engage enemy, hit by enemy projectile (probably from SU122)
  • In what game mode (MP/QMB/campaign/scenario);     -  SP, QMB, Lapino Autumn 1942 map, 1x Panther and 4x PzIV vs 8x T34 and 4x SU122
  • In what mission;                                                                     - Lapino Autumn 1942 QMB
  • What did you do before the crash;                                      - searching through the internet
  • What happened in the mission before the crash;            - just moved into position to engage enemy
  • Additional info you think is relevant to the crash.           - I had this similar crash a few times, every time when the enemy projectile hit me. there is a visible flash from the projectile hiting my tank(or my tank exploding) and stuttered sound. It looks like my tank is exploding and the camera is trying to move to 3d.

Crashdump file included also the track (but its impossible to play this track)

https://www.rapidshare.com.cn/G5QrfpI

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2020 at 4:54 AM, -DED-Rapidus said:

We need the mission and exact location at the time of CTD.

Sorry for the late response. Haven't played in a long time.

Mission (Single Player Mission)
Rhineland Scenarios: BF109K4 - Protect The Ruhr
I barely got off the ground from takeoff and it crashed.

Location: Koln-Butzweilerhof base (Base pointed by the cursor)

Pretty much any game mode played in the Rhineland map crashes.

Location.jpg

Edited by BP_Lizard

• When you encountered the crash; When pausing the game, going into the Settings menu to check controls, and clicking the "Accept" button in the lower right
  • In what game mode (MP/QMB/campaign/scenario); Campaign and Scenario
  • In what mission; Seems to occur in any mission
  • What did you do before the crash; Was flying plane, hit P to pause then Esc to open the main menu
  • What happened in the mission before the crash; Landed aircraft
  • Additional info you think is relevant to the crash: The crash seems to happen anytime I pause a single player game, check the controls and click the Accept button. Have not tried this in multiplayer.

Il-2.exe.16860.zip

• Thanks 1

Sorry if this isn’t the right place, however this seemed to be the most relevant area. This is regarding the Tobruk expansion for CoD. My game always crashes when I load the Wellington I/C Torpedo version. Doesn’t matter what the mission is or what the map is, whenever I use that aircraft to fly a mission, the flight will begin loading, get to 90% or so, then crash. Happens only when using a torpedo version of the Wellington. Standard Wellingtons work fine, and Torpedo He-111s work fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

On 10/19/2020 at 6:18 AM, -DED-Rapidus said:

@BP_Lizard, I need screenshots of your graphics settings and dxdiag report. What did you crash into on takeoff?

Thank you for your help and patience. Here are the screenshot of the graphics and dxdiag report.

What did you crash into on takeoff? : Nothing. I just barely got off the ground after takeoff. Or in few occasions, still circling around the base, waiting for the AIs to take off. Seems like any mission that I play involving the Rhineland map crashes at one point of another. Sometimes a complete CTD, other times I have to perform hard reboot as the screen was frozen.

MODs were uninstalled via JGSME and disabled ingame.

Un77qZV.jpg

DxDiag.txt

Edited by BP_Lizard

@BP_Lizard, I started the game with your settings on the map with BF-109 K4. Apparently you don't have enough RAM on your computer. On my test machine, IL2 took 24GB of RAM with your settings. Try lowering your graphics settings(first, try removing "Distant Buildings" of the settings.)

RAM.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, -DED-Rapidus said:

@BP_Lizard, I started the game with your settings on the map with BF-109 K4. Apparently you don't have enough RAM on your computer. On my test machine, IL2 took 24GB of RAM with your settings. Try lowering your graphics settings(first, try removing "Distant Buildings" of the settings.)

Reveal hidden contents

RAM.png

Thank you very much!

I’ll tone it down and see how it goes. Funny thing was, I always run these settings (except maybe the 8X AA) and didn’t experience crashes until two or three updates ago.

Thanks again.

Edited by BP_Lizard