=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

It looks like the VVS got massacred, mainly because they stopped attacking tank columns, which resulted in a few of their airbases being taken by the Germans. It seems strange that there are not more squadrons flying Il2s, maybe the TAW should let everyone start with 10 Il2s and Stukas? That way, ground attack squadrons will take longer to cripple by down most of their planes.

It looks like the VVS got massacred, mainly because they stopped attacking tank columns, which resulted in a few of their airbases being taken by the Germans. It seems strange that there are not more squadrons flying Il2s, maybe the TAW should let everyone start with 10 Il2s and Stukas? That way, ground attack squadrons will take longer to cripple by down most of their planes.

It also helps when you have a pilot in your faction that can go 52 - 0 with an additional 383 ground units destroyed. :rolleyes:

You cannot really attack tank columns if the playerratio is 4:1 against you. Other than that the VVS basically gave up after map 3 from what I've seen.

• Upvote 3

Food for thought;

On the last two campaigns there has been major side imbalance, sometimes as high as 10:1, apparently caused by loss of VVS players.  This could be due to changes/elimination to target parameters like max tank kill, etc.  Maybe these should be reviewed and re-implemented.

Allowing switching sides, by changing website names, to balance sides has not worked to balance sides and was also not the cause of the imbalance.  Allowing players to choose sides at the time of sortie, vs the entire campaign, does help to balance sides. (see below* for RE+ 3 and 7 day graph).  Allowing players to switch sides could be handled in the stats in a manner I previously posted.

The way I see this could work in the stats, hopefully with little re-write as possible, is that all pilots would have two stat pages or tabs, one for each side. All the information as currently presented on your pilot for planes, awards, statistics and sorties would stay the same, only you would have two such "sheets". You'd be given the normal plane set for each side at the beginning of each map. The appropriate sheet would be updated depending on which side you flew in a sortie. Only that side would gain from a successful sortie and if you die, only that side would suffer. You could, essentially, have two careers going at the same time. Totals from both sheets would then be combined to arrive at pilot and squad totals in the Statistics Overview (instead of two different pilots IDs) and on the Map page where it shows top five fighter, bomber, etc.

*Random Expert+ Server:

33549968772_5441ce759a_c.jpg

I salute your work on this server.  It is never an easy task.  There are many very good features.  I hope things can be tweaked to diminish the recent imbalances.

Cheers!

Edited by 12.OIAE_Stick-95

*see two graphs as identically as can be in an un-controlled server*
*reads people complaining about "imbalance* WTF is wrong with you?!

"oh no, at 7:34 pm , there were 2 more Germans than Russians on the server! we're all doomed!"

You obviously can't you read.  BTW, you may want to see a doctor about the froth around your mouth.

Edited by 12.OIAE_Stick-95

I plan to start next campaign on Sunday. Still testing new features so more info about "what's new" tomorrow.

• Upvote 3

I plan to start next campaign on Sunday. Still testing new features so more info about "what's new" tomorrow.

Will the rules change?

Yes. This time we'll be flying co-op campaign. We decided to fly blue. All interested can registe at web at 8 pm gmt+1. We hope you guys enjoy it !

• Upvote 2

You almost had me there Artur, just about for 5 seconds, before my coffee kicked in and I took a look at the date. :D

• Upvote 1

You almost had me there Artur, just about for 5 seconds, before my coffee kicked in and I took a look at the date. :D

Oh come on you could hold on with it for a little bit :) But 5sec is good enough :D

New TAW campaign starts on Sunday 02.04.17 at about 18:00 UTC

What's new:

• Bug when pilot kill event wasn't counted has been fixed (it happened sometimes after bail out)
  • Tanks limit is 650 now. If one side exceeds the tanks limit it's unable to produce tanks convoys (a map isn't ended then). This side can still defend. If two sides exceed the tank limit then the map ends in a draw. Aircraft/pilots limit end map with a victory as before. 
  • Damaged or destroyed depot add some "destroyed tanks" to the global statistics with limit. About 20 tanks when two depot are destroyed. Less tanks when depot is only damaged.
  • Capturing airfields by transport planes is not possible anymore. They can be captured by tanks or paratroopers now. 
  • Aircraft Il-2 '41 and Il-2 '42 have locked 23/37mm and they have tag 'locked' on the airfield. There are additional limited Il-2 '41/42 with unlocked 23/37mm. The number of those depends on depot destruction and airfield destruction. The more depot is destroyed then lower the probability that unlocked aircraft is enable on the particular airfield.
  • Aircraft Ju-88 and He-111 have locked big bombs SC1000+. and they have tag 'locked' on the airfield. There are additional limited Ju-88/He-11 with unlocked SC1000. The number of those depends on depot destruction and airfield destruction. They aren't available on the front line airfields. 
  • Airfields layout with targets added on the web site. Click on the city name on the main page to see the airfield layout. Only main targets need to be destroy. The orientation of the main target may be different (they may be rotated by different angle)
  • Slightly changed plane set:

planeset_v1_4_6.jpg

Registration will be open tomorrow because not everything is finished yet.

Good luck!

Edited by =LG=Kathon
  • Upvote 10

Here at last planeset norms! :good:  And the megabombs were removed :good:, only on the henkel the poor had to be left. 

Kathon the good fellow! The best admin! :salute:

Edited by SDV_Fin_19

• Aircraft Il-2 '41 and Il-2 '42 have locked 23/37mm and they have tag 'locked' on the airfield. There are additional limited Il-2 '41/42 with unlocked 23/37mm. 

Ok, and Stuka have not limited 37mm or SC1000?

Edited by CSAF_Tistar

How freaking good does the intel-pictures of the airfield look?!  :clapping:

Thank you a thousand time! WOW! 

EDIT: Zubtsov's picture seems to be broken.

Edited by Emuyen
  • Upvote 1

Due to the fact that the main historical armament of Il-2 VYA-23 cannon is closed, the main part of the pilots of the red attacking aircraft is going to skip this campaign.

Just keep this in mind ...

• Upvote 1

I made this TAW-specific video primarily for Luftwaffe ground attack folks, but many parts are relevant to the PE-2 and IL-2. It contains a fairly detailed analysis of AI AAA activation and reaction, and many tips on attacking columns and defensive positions. 

Contents: Gratuitous profanity, bikinis, and a fresh perspective on Luftwaffe Ground Attack in TAW. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnmOJ-IotLo&feature=youtu.be

• Upvote 8

Due to the fact that the main historical armament of Il-2 VYA-23 cannon is closed, the main part of the pilots of the red attacking aircraft is going to skip this campaign.
Just keep this in mind ...

It's not closed, it's limited. Just as the SC1000s are limited, which is completely okay with me now that the tank meta has become vastly more important. It's actually important to protect the precious few Vya23/37 sturmoviks now, so they can wreak havoc on those tank columns, which I think is a very interesting concept. Let's just hope that the limited bombers and attackers don't get immediately wasted by people who then proceed to ask how to take off in chat. ^^

I like the planeset very much, probably the most balanced in terms of performance I have seen on TAW, yet. Comparable types of fighters in every map, and the Germans still get their slight advantage by having the F4 as a CM+1 plane, which is totes okay with me. I fully support the decision to leave out the A-5 since that thing is simply ludicrous right now. ^^ The A-3 is very good where it sits right now with the rest of the roster.

Not that I would be strongly against it but what got you to kill the airfield capture by transport plane? I really liked that mechanic to be honest, since it always took a coordinated effort to pull it off, which was one of the more interesting things in my opinion. Was is to emphasize the tank meta? Anyway, will be interesting to see how that plays out. It might make attacks on airfields more rare, but closing frontline airfields will still hamper the enemies ability to defend/attack the front, so maybe not a lot will change in that department. We'll see.

Interesting stuff with the tank meta, I see multiple ways how that might play out. Let's hope we don't get a ton of tied matches. :D

• Upvote 1

It's not closed, it's limited. Just as the SC1000s are limited, which is completely okay with me now that the tank meta has become vastly more important. It's actually important to protect the precious few Vya23/37 sturmoviks now, so they can wreak havoc on those tank columns, which I think is a very interesting concept. Let's just hope that the limited bombers and attackers don't get immediately wasted by people who then proceed to ask how to take off in chat. ^^

In these settings, the rules, who better bombs, the winner. Restriction of VYA-23 deprives the red team of any advantages

In any case, I do not care what the rules are. But other players are turning away from the server because of this skew. And that's bad.

In these settings, the rules, who better bombs, the winner. Restriction of VYA-23 deprives the red team of any advantages

Dude, you don't even know how many VYA-23s will be available and what the impact of destroyed factories/airfields will be on that number. And even if they're rare, VVS has quite a few other tools to kill tanks effectively or about as effective as the LW. Just chill and see how it actually plays out, before you make statements you simply cannot know, yet.

Edit: Kay, if you don't care what the rules are, then there's no need to discuss them. I find it howevery very impressive that you already know how the community responds to the new round before it even started. Mad respect for the uncanny foresight. ^^

Edited by JG4_Etherlight
  • Upvote 7

Dude, you don't even know how many VYA-23s will be available and what the impact of destroyed factories/airfields will be on that number. And even if they're rare, VVS has quite a few other tools to kill tanks effectively or about as effective as the LW. Just chill and see how it actually plays out, before you make statements you simply cannot know, yet.

Edit: Kay, if you don't care what the rules are, then there's no need to discuss them. I find it howevery very impressive that you already know how the community responds to the new round before it even started. Mad respect for the uncanny foresight. ^^

I played the whole of the past campaign with the limitations of the VYa and perfectly understand what I'm writing about. If IL-2 with VYa is unavailable from a front-line airfield, then conclusions can be made right now.
I know the reaction of the players, because discussed this with them.

Even without the 23mm the IL2 is a much better tank killer than any german plane, using the 132 rockets. As a frequent IL2 pilot I am fine with that. Although fun, it was admittedly too easy to kill tanks.

Even without the 23mm the IL2 is a much better tank killer than any german plane, using the 132 rockets. As a frequent IL2 pilot I am fine with that. Although fun, it was admittedly too easy to kill tanks.

For example Ju-88 is a much better bomb than the Pe-2, even with only 500 kg bombs. So what?

We didn't even start but crying already started lol... Lets just play this campaign and after its end we'll discuss some things.

=LG= is going RED again

Edited by =LG=Leutnant_Artur
  • Upvote 11

Is there a consolidated list of rules/descriptions about the server. I've never seen a good explanation of various things in one easily located place...