=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

As noted yesterday the Red team had 71 total kills and 2 people on the LW had 51.  

The best virtual mavericks to ever live being on one team or another is the biggest issue of imbalance.  Second would be numbers, though the formerly mentioned heros of dogfighting and bombing were strong enough to overcome that last campaign.  Now we have the two largest causes of imbalance on one side.

There are no reds, because the administrator of the server listens to not experienced pilots.

1. Why remove cannons 23мм?
2. Why give F4 on the second card?
3. Why withdraw the victory over the tanks?

Now they will make a balance for the pilots, are you serious? People want to fly for the side that they like. If you force players, they just go away!

As noted yesterday the Red team had 71 total kills and 2 people on the LW had 51.  

How can 2 pilots stop a coordinated opponent?

Soon, here will talk about banning 1,000 bombs, because the Reds can not win. :biggrin:  All the airfields will be bombed and there will be defeat always...
  • Upvote 1

The best virtual mavericks to ever live being on one team or another is the biggest issue of imbalance.  Second would be numbers, though the formerly mentioned heros of dogfighting and bombing were strong enough to overcome that last campaign.  Now we have the two largest causes of imbalance on one side.

I'm starting to think there may be merit to these claims.

I'd like to see a motivation to go vvs rather than a hard lockout even though i dont rule it out as an option before we get stuck for ages with 1: >2 balance 

I'd suggest balance based resupply, like base the CM mission gain on a float that depends on balance (on takeoff?).

Why that? Simply look at how many rookies fly VVS and how many fly axis. If you stack all the numbers and 95% of the rookies in one team that team is rather inefficient and it acts as deterrent to join VVS for many.

If you are willing to join an uphill battle you may aswell get more ressources and make the germans stand in line to get their replacement plane.

You may be online but low on planes as VVS or just not have the number of wingman to feel comfortable so you wont play VVS for the time being (been there in the 2 previous campaigns).

How can 2 pilots stop a coordinated opponent?

I'll leave some details out but to go over a couple of the possibilities here, having some incredibly successful sorties with 4-6 kills and also the fact that several pilots on the opposing team log off when they see the usual suspects. Last campaign when I was on LW and we were outnumbering the reds 2-1 we still would have 2-3 people out of those in the TAW TS3 log off when they saw the names.  Not sure if the Red team is doing the same this time around but it was most certainly the case last campaign and worsens the player problem imbalance.  You also have a number of players who refuse to play on the side opposing those people due to some popularly held beliefs that were quite public about 10 pages earlier in this thread and I will not revisit those here.  I have certainly considered it myself and discussed it with some players who are much more known and reputable than myself and they had the same feelings.

Also, with the limited number of planes in TAW do you think the first 24 or so hours of the campaign just two Luftwaffe destroying 51 aircraft doesn't heavily limit the Red teams ability to compete?  Map 1 was a slaughter and you can only do so much with 1 of each CM+1 aircraft on a rotation.  Map 2 I'm not sure those players were as active, I have been busy outside of IL2.

I just want to be clear -  this is not intended to be a whine fest, simply putting forth my version of the facts.  Some of this through multiple experiences of the same issues, discussions with other players about those facts to confirm my thoughts, and some of it data.  Feel free to refute, just keep it civil and let's not break some of the more commonly broken forum rules while discussing.  No one needs to make it personal against each other or 'successful' players.

• Upvote 2

Hello, folks!

This whole story reminds me of this article.

I'm not trying to complain - last evening it was 3 LW vs 1 Red. Maybe this time LW wins. I really hope so, since if they won't --there is a high chance that next time the planeset and rules altogether will become even more imbalanced.

I'm a bit worried that next session there won't be any Reds opposing. With an extremely imbalanced planeset and questionable changes to the rules combined TAW becomes closer to dog fight genre. Last time Reds could compensate performance gap with hard teamwork. Last night we didn't have much of a chance or choice.

One thing I wouldn't want to see on the server - is any kind of autobalance. I would opt for pure gameplay motivation

Edited by lovefool
  • Upvote 1

My issue with 'forcing' people to play one side or the other due to balance is that you are relying on people to give 100% on each side. I don't think it would be a problem with most pilots, but I think enough of a minority - forced to fly for a side they either don't like or are not familiar with the planes, will not fly their best on purpose. Worst case, they would even intentionally crash/ditch whatever to hurt that side's plane total, etc. And this doesn't even take into account that there are other server options. If a pilot has 1-2 hours to fly at night, why fly a side/plane he's not familiar with? They'll just jump to another server for quick DF action. 

I mentioned this previously, the BEST way to solve the balance issue is to wait for BoK's supposed coop multiplayer system. This will allow missions to start with even numbers a side, with the same abundance of objectives as we currently have, and you can run the mission with the same ~90+ minute time limit. The results of the mission are then uploaded to TAW and the front line changes based on results. Maintaining perfect, or even acceptable balance in a 24/7 online war is one lofty goal IMO. 

I'm not trying to complain - last evening it was 3 LW vs 1 Red. Maybe this time LW wins. I really hope so, since if they won't --there is a high chance that next time the planeset and rules altogether will become even more imbalanced.

I'm a bit worried that next session there won't be any Reds opposing. With an extremely imbalanced planeset and questionable changes to the rules combined TAW becomes closer to dog fight genre. Last time Reds could compensate performance gap with hard teamwork. Last night we didn't have much of a chance

The issue isn't the plane set. It isn't due to any other 'rule' changes. If anything this new plane set is better for both red and blue. I would strenuously argue that last time it wasn't just Red compensating with hard teamwork. The issue is the top pilots, with unlimited amount of flight time - and skill - can dictate the war just by themselves. Not only with their scores, but by affecting the opposing numbers. Pilots are choosing not to fly against them. I don't blame them. 

Last campaign when I was on LW and we were outnumbering the reds 2-1 we still would have 2-3 people out of those in the TAW TS3 log off when they saw the names.

It is a pity that this happens. Running away, you will not learn how to fight!

From my point of view we need tank limit again.

:)

Untill now , TAW have several ways to win maps...  Every team can chose they way according to they aptitudes.

Due to planes and " tactics" , i think all we know what things are better or worst for every team  ;

- Reds are better turning, reds are better on low altitudes and red have better weapons for ground attack. ( on general terms )

- Blues have more fast planes, have better performance on high altitudes, and have good bombers whit big bombs ( on general terms )

The general mechanics of game, subordinate the rest.

Untill now, If reds, try win map, destroying tanks only are forcing blues to do best task on defend tanks. Blues dont need compite destroying tanks because this way dont is the best for this side. Blues allways can continue doing bomb runs and closing bases.

With last changes, reds lost a way for win because blues dont know how stop it.

Now the ways open are :

-Limit pilots.

-Limit planes.

-Bomb and close bases.

Is true, before the blue can not* compite vs red ,destroying tanks.... but is true too, reds can not* compite vs blues ,closing bases.... For this reasson i mean is better if two ways still open, kill tanks (for red) and destroying airfields. ( for blue )

* cause i think all teams if start playing better can do better things than are doing.

With 2 ways open, all teams can search the victory for own way , keeping a eye on enemy strategy.

thx

• Upvote 3

Hello, folks!

This whole story reminds me of this article.

I doubt there are hardly any of us playing this game who weren't around and played significant hours of Super Mario.  If you think this article is applicable to the current situation I would argue that you are not familiar with the community.

I don't know :unsure: We had a lot of fun yesterday kicking LW asses while outnumbered 12 to 50 :biggrin:

It is a community problem right now that most of guys wants to fly blue side. And I don't know why. I personally love 109s but I have much more fun flying red sied. Definitely we will discuss balance restrictions.

I personally enjoyed the target rich enviroment in the last campaign as well. Can't win every battle but its fun to resist and bite.

• Upvote 3

It is a pity that this happens. Running away, you will not learn how to fight!

That's not actually how I personally handle the situation, instead I generally fly CM+1 planes at that time since last campaign as one of the committed ground attackers I could not afford to lose my He111 and Ju88's for nothing.  

Most people would disagree it has to do with learning how to fight.  If you go back to page 83ish and start reading forward you will see a lot of discussion by players such as Moach and Chappy that discusses why many people believe your statement which says 'git gud noob' is not addressing the situation and isn't even close to being productive. Say what you want after reading from 83ish until Kathon addressed the problem in his post somewhere around page 90 but I have pointed you in the direction and am not going to do any sort of detailed discussion further on that issue due to the forum rules.

Edited by StG77_Roo5ter
  • Upvote 1

From my point of view we need tank limit again.

:)

Untill now , TAW have several ways to win maps...  Every team can chose they way according to they aptitudes.

Due to planes and " tactics" , i think all we know what things are better or worst for every team  ;

- Reds are better turning, reds are better on low altitudes and red have better weapons for ground attack. ( on general terms )

- Blues have more fast planes, have better performance on high altitudes, and have good bombers whit big bombs ( on general terms )

The general mechanics of game, subordinate the rest.

Untill now, If reds, try win map, destroying tanks only are forcing blues to do best task on defend tanks. Blues dont need compite destroying tanks because this way dont is the best for this side. Blues allways can continue doing bomb runs and closing bases.

With last changes, reds lost a way for win because blues dont know how stop it.

Now the ways open are :

-Limit pilots.

-Limit planes.

-Bomb and close bases.

Is true, before the blue can not* compite vs red ,destroying tanks.... but is true too, reds can not* compite vs blues ,closing bases.... For this reasson i mean is better if two ways still open, kill tanks (for red) and destroying airfields. ( for blue )

* cause i think all teams if start playing better can do better things than are doing.

With 2 ways open, all teams can search the victory for own way , keeping a eye on enemy strategy.

thx

Problem solved guys. We just need to make the war even more stale - for both sides. The war will now be boring level bombing for blue. And Red slaughter of tanks again. Tough luck blue bomber/ground attack pilots. You will be relegated to flying at 5k to level bomb AFs...over and over and over again. Russian fighters, you'll be flying boring CAP over your own AFs for an entire map, just to maybe see one or two bombers. Sure it's fun, like once out of every five missions...Forget all the skill and coordination needed to dispose of AA at tank columns, defensive positions etc. 

The appeal of TAW, or any other good online war are the options. You take away these, and make the war objectives for each side rely on single objectives...good luck. 

• Upvote 2

I don't know :unsure: We had a lot of fun yesterday kicking LW asses while outnumbered 12 to 50 :biggrin:

It is a community problem right now that most of guys wants to fly blue side. And I don't know why. I personally love 109s but I have much more fun flying red sied. Definitely we will discuss balance restrictions.

Yeah, I felt the same way about last campaign, where I flew VVS. Was nerve-wrecking and a lot of fun to to after tank columns while playing 1:2 numbers. And good teamwork actually provided good results. But there is a limit to what experience, teamwork and skill can compensate. 58:11 is just not playable. ^^

So the fact that nobody complained means that the problem didn't exist? Interesting line of thought. I understand where you're coming from, but Reds are complaining now because they aren't winning. Yes, I'm agreeing with that. But, most didn't complain last campaign because complaining while winning generally falls on deaf ears, or worse, gets dismissed and chided.

The simple fact is - whether you choose to believe it or not - that most Reds see 20-1 odds and would rather head to WoL. Yes, this server is better, more realistic, etc., but the imbalance leads to less fun to a degree. I for one, have about 1-1.5hrs per night to fly. I'm not going to waste it on getting into a dogfight solo against 4 f4's, when I can jump over to WoL where it's damn near even odds 24/7.

The solution isn't a server problem, it's a people problem. And good luck changing people....

Well, I disagree on the last thing a bit. It is a people problem, yes, but you can alleviate that with simple balancing measures on the serverside. If people then refuse to play VVS and we have less player numbers, but a solid balance, I'd be fine with that. If we drive off people who would rather kill a campaign by playing 60:10 than balancing out the sides, good riddance I say.

I'd like to see a motivation to go vvs rather than a hard lockout even though i dont rule it out as an option before we get stuck for ages with 1: >2 balance 

I'd suggest balance based resupply, like base the CM mission gain on a float that depends on balance (on takeoff?).

Why that? Simply look at how many rookies fly VVS and how many fly axis. If you stack all the numbers and 95% of the rookies in one team that team is rather inefficient and it acts as deterrent to join VVS for many.

If you are willing to join an uphill battle you may aswell get more ressources and make the germans stand in line to get their replacement plane.

You may be online but low on planes as VVS or just not have the number of wingman to feel comfortable so you wont play VVS for the time being (been there in the 2 previous campaigns).

I don't exactly know if that is even possible on a technical level. But even then, would more supply entice me to play 10:60? Hell no. For me it's about the experience. Of course I'm happy if my team pulls through with a win, especially against stacked odds, but if I do not get a reasonably well balanced and fun experience, because the numbers are ridiculously stacked,  then I simply won't play on that server, because my first, second and third goal is fun.

I'm all ears for different approaches, but until a reasonable solution has been proposed that Kathon can actually implement, I'm with the hard balancing argument.

My issue with 'forcing' people to play one side or the other due to balance is that you are relying on people to give 100% on each side. I don't think it would be a problem with most pilots, but I think enough of a minority - forced to fly for a side they either don't like or are not familiar with the planes, will not fly their best on purpose. Worst case, they would even intentionally crash/ditch whatever to hurt that side's plane total, etc. And this doesn't even take into account that there are other server options. If a pilot has 1-2 hours to fly at night, why fly a side/plane he's not familiar with? They'll just jump to another server for quick DF action.

If they don't fly well on purpose: Tough luck, there's enough mediocre pilots around that you probably wouldn't even notice to be honest. ^^ And if people just intentionally crash or teamkill - there's always the banhammer. But I do not think that a handful of idiots could have a serious impact on the outcome of a map by crashing their 1-3 planes. And like written above, I'd prefer a reasonably well balanced and enjoyable gaming environment over catering to a few people that limit themselves (and their fun) to a specific side. I personally don't understand that mindset and find it rather amusing, but that's their own business. But they will have to live with the fact that the success of the server and the campaign is more important than their preferences.

Maybe this will even lead a few people to the mindblowing realization that it's not that difficult to open and close 2 radiators. Might alleviate a few of the "Russian planes so OP" threads on the forums, too, if people are getting familiar with the very thing they complain about. :D

• Upvote 1

Maybe this will even lead a few people to the mindblowing realization that it's not that difficult to open and close 2 radiators. M

Not nearly applicable to everyone who reads this thread but I wanted to go ahead and demystify the La-5 engine management a bit since people tend to avoid it for that reason.

Inlet cowls - always 100%.  Set it and leave it.

Oil radiator - always 100%.  Set it and leave it.

Outlet cowls - 8-10%, Set it and leave it under cruise conditions.  In hot weather and pulling boost for several minutes you will find you need to open it to 20-25% for a 10-15 seconds to vent some heat, then return to normal operation.

Mixture - 100% in combat, cruise at 90 or 100 if you don't want to move it.

Prop pitch/RPM - 100% in combat, cruise can be 90%

Throttle - cruising with throttle at 90 is desirable.

Boost, as needed.

There's not even water!  You set most of it and leave it until you are more experienced with the plane.  These settings listed above will make the plane easily flyable and the only thing you have to move in combat is throttle flip boost on and off.  Several minutes in, you MIGHT have to vent some heat with outlet cowls.

This is actually LESS engine mangement than the FW190A-5.  Boost can be used with less discretion (or indefinitely with M82F) and the outlet cowls need less adjustment.  

Hope this helps out a couple of people!  Please don't derail the thread into engine management for the La-5 though I just wanted to address this issue.  If you have ANY questions about the engine management for it, please shoot me a PM and I would be more than happy to help!  I was in the same boat until someone spent a couple minutes helping me out with this and it made a world of difference.

Happy hunting!

• Upvote 1

The suggestion of implementing programmed forced "auto" balance overlooks the fact the pilots themselves would self balance if they had the opportunity.  The fact that VVS has won campaigns despite being outnumbered misses the point that they have been continuously outnumbered.  Instead of tweaking the campaign win parameters nine different ways, change this one major impediment to balance and chances are all will resolve itself.

Gameplay wise, I think it is maybe a good time to experiment with a no-side-choice for once.. I mean, your virtual pilot is born into a country and can´t just chose which side to fly. Off course, many people like one side over another, but for ones own skillset, actually beeing trown out of the comfort zone is a great learning experience.. The model could be like: Every player signs up.. and can wish for a role. Getting that role has some chance to occur or not, but sides are chosen randomly to even distribuition. You could potentially allow for players to switch or trade their "won" roles / sides if there was an organisatorical feasible model. Or have at just some slots for each side asigned by chance.

There even could be some incentives: if you complete the campaign on one side, you would earn the right to fly the other side next time (free choice token), so if you´re absolutely disliking one side, you are at least guaranteed to have your first choice next time. Or a "who flew for 20hrs and did not lose a life, can chose sides next time!" Incentive. There can be many ways to encourage the behaviour (ie: less casual, less derpy flying) through making side choice somewhat restricted.

----------------

Target rich environments are fun.. I just released my last bomb without any aiming at large group landing...  and by chance it did hit the guy again, that allready made for 3 out of my 5 kills.. very funny. I did not count as kill, though, as he had allready clicked "finish mission" and despawned the same moment the damage was distributed, but it does show up in the stats...

I think it is fun to watch all those tiny flies with lights on, from above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysboT3aX0mA

I personally enjoyed the target rich enviroment in the last campaign as well. Can't win every battle but its fun to resist and bite.

Edited by Monostripezebra

Hi.

I don't get it.

Reds won a few last campaign bein constantly outnumbered. Everyone (especially reds) were happy.

This campaign blue won two maps when reds were constatly outnumbered. Blues are happy. ;)

This cleary shows that different number of each side pilots on server is not a problem to win a camaign.

So we have option:

1) reds planes are way too overmodelled, cuz even playing 40:10 reds are able to win almost all maps.

2) reds tactics are a some kind of masterpiece, cuz even playing 40:10 reds are able to destroy whole tanks divisions having over head bunch of german fighters looking at each other afraid to dive at low level.

3) blue players are selfish lonewolf, do not take risk to escort blue bombers.

4) right now when tank limits are gone, reds lost their masterpiece tactics and sudenly blues are not a selfish lonewolfs anymore ...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ramm.

ps., let's fly, and give Kathon time to atleast read carefully this topic ;)

Edited by JG700_Rammjager

This campaign blue won two maps when reds were constatly outnumbered. Blues are happy. ;)

I assure you not all blues are happy.  I chose not to log on yesterday since it was 4 -> 1.  On the bright side I took care of a number of things around the house.

The suggestion of implementing programmed forced "auto" balance overlooks the fact the pilots themselves would self balance if they had the opportunity.  The fact that VVS has won campaigns despite being outnumbered misses the point that they have been continuously outnumbered.  Instead of tweaking the campaign win parameters nine different ways, change this one major impediment to balance and chances are all will resolve itself.

Huh? There is. You can already create two accounts on TAW, one LW, one VVS. You only need to change your playername each time you switch, obviously, but that takes about a minute.

Gameplay wise, I think it is maybe a good time to experiment with a no-side-choice for once.. I mean, your virtual pilot is born into a country and can´t just chose which side to fly. Off course, many people like one side over another, but for ones own skillset, actually beeing trown out of the comfort zone is a great learning experience.. The model could be like: Every player signs up.. and can wish for a role. Getting that role has some chance to occur or not, but sides are chosen randomly to even distribuition. You could potentially allow for players to switch or trade their "won" roles / sides if there was an organisatorical feasible model. Or have at just some slots for each side asigned by chance.

There even could be some incentives: if you complete the campaign on one side, you would earn the right to fly the other side next time (free choice token), so if you´re absolutely disliking one side, you are at least guaranteed to have your first choice next time. Or a "who flew for 20hrs and did not lose a life, can chose sides next time!" Incentive. There can be many ways to encourage the behaviour (ie: less casual, less derpy flying) through making side choice somewhat restricted.

Nope. People want to fly with their squad or group. It would really screw over people who like to organize or fly with their friends and hurt the server immensely in the process, because these people (myself included) would just hop to another server where they actually can play together.

I assure you not all blues are happy.  I chose not to log on yesterday since it was 4 -> 1.  On the bright side I took care of a number of things around the house.

Amen.

• Upvote 2

Nope. People want to fly with their squad or group. It would really screw over people who like to organize or fly with their friends and hurt the server immensely in the process, because these people (myself included) would just hop to another server where they actually can play together.

I think I just saw you leaving the server yesterday because of numbers, so what´s the difference here? ;=P

And I think it still could work, maybe it would need a bit of an advance phase where you could trade/swap the assignments everybody got.. or try out new people to fly with, if for whatever reason ALL of your friends did make the other side (which would be unlikely). In any case I don´t think it can be worse then the current tryhards: "nope, I want my 109, even at 60:1 where I am almost guaranteed to not encounter and shoot any red, but my 109 is still MY 109"

I think I just saw you leaving the server yesterday because of numbers, so what´s the difference here? ;=P

And I think it still could work, maybe it would need a bit of an advance phase where you could trade/swap the assignments everybody got.. or try out new people to fly with, if for whatever reason ALL of your friends did make the other side (which would be unlikely). In any case I don´t think it can be worse then the current tryhards: "nope, I want my 109, even at 60:1 where I am almost guaranteed to not encounter and shoot any red, but my 109 is still MY 109"

It just seems like it would make a heck of a lot more sense for the larger groups JG52, MK, TWB etc to shoot a few messages out prior to a campaign beginning and make sure not everyone was going to register (primarily) for the same side.  That would also require a lot less from Kathon who has already done so much and is under time constraints.

Your authoritarian ideas would not go over well when people have the option of playing or not.

Your authoritarian ideas would not go over well when people have the option of playing or not.

I really like the deep irony in the fact that people on a forum obsessed with military simulation and it´s realism and historical accuracy actually are quite touchy when it comes to a central aspect of military life: limited freedom of choice! Maybe, there is still hope for this world ;=p

on the other hand, any rule aimed at making a good, fair game is probably "authoritarian". That goes as well for limiting the plane set and other balancing attempts... If you want a fair game, it needs to be played in a field with some regulations

• Upvote 3

I really like the deep irony in the fact that people on a forum obsessed with military simulation and it´s realism and historical accuracy actually are quite touchy when it comes to a central aspect of military life: limited freedom of choice! Maybe, there is still hope for this world ;=p

on the other hand, any rule aimed at making a good, fair game is probably "authoritarian". That goes as well for limiting the plane set and other balancing attempts... If you want a fair game, it needs to be played in a field with some regulations

I spent a decade in the USMC and I still know your point is illogical and ignorant of reality.  It's funny you state that it is an ironic situation when the truth of the matter is the limited freedom of choice is one of the biggest reasons that people leave the military and the exact reason that I did even though I was halfway to pension.  Anyways, I don't see a reason to discuss it further since I highly doubt that the campaign will ever implement your views into reality.  

I assure you not all blues are happy.

Last time I was happy wining the map was almost 13 years ago when blue first time win Stalingrad map on Bellum War. After that I learned that "happy" means be able to fly and fight with/against other vpilots over virtual sky. Rest (wining, loosing, etc,) are nothing important.

If players really need balance of numbers, ask Kathon and rest of LG for one, simple thing.

A password.

Server is set for 74 slots.

37 slot for blues and 37 slots for reds. Simple.

The question is  - Who make decision who can fly or not ?

Ramm.

• Upvote 2

Wow. 22v21. 

I wonder what changed... :)

rm69lx.jpg

Nothing, really. ^^

Last time I was happy wining the map was almost 13 years ago when blue first time win Stalingrad map on Bellum War. After that I learned that "happy" means be able to fly and fight with/against other vpilots over virtual sky. Rest (wining, loosing, etc,) are nothing important.

If players really need balance of numbers, ask Kathon and rest of LG for one, simple thing.

A password.

Server is set for 74 slots.

37 slot for blues and 37 slots for reds. Simple.

The question is  - Who make decision who can fly or not ?

Ramm.

I don't really get what you're saying. Do you want to only let 74 players register or what? And when it comes to balancing, it's easy who gets to play: Whoever comes first and whoever is willing to play the side with far fewer players. Just like everywhere else where automated balancing is a thing.

• Upvote 1

Wow. 22v21.

I wonder what changed...:)

I could be wrong, but isn't that Russian primetime? Looking at the chart on the last page, I was surprised that it was as even as much as it was (number of times, not length). But when it's uneven, man is it uneven!

Curious why none of my flights or statistics are not showing up, I am registered with squad and tried to re register yesterday to no avail

(...)

https://media.tenor.co/images/70d15b6d6e00b1537e00fe3181ae2060/raw

Wow. 22v21. 

I wonder what changed... :)

This.

I could be wrong, but isn't that Russian primetime? Looking at the chart on the last page, I was surprised that it was as even as much as it was (number of times, not length). But when it's uneven, man is it uneven!

VVS pilots from RE joined, because RE is offline right now.

I love this server, but sometimes I want to fly LW too, but here it's impossible.
Edited by MadStalker

Just one question, i don't sure to understand.

It's possible to fly one mission of the campaign on the russian side and another on germand side (not in the same current mission of 2h) ?

Thanks

You're not wrong. But that's not what I was alluding to :).

Huh? There is. You can already create two accounts on TAW, one LW, one VVS. You only need to change your playername each time you switch, obviously, but that takes about a minute.

I have my doubts that very many people bother to do this.  It's a pain in the a**.  If they allow switching, why bother making people jump through this hoop in the first place.

I spent a decade in the USMC and I still know your point is illogical and ignorant of reality.  It's funny you state that it is an ironic situation when the truth of the matter is the limited freedom of choice is one of the biggest reasons that people leave the military and the exact reason that I did even though I was halfway to pension.  Anyways, I don't see a reason to discuss it further since I highly doubt that the campaign will ever implement your views into reality.  

I wonder if you have ever played ANY sort of teamsport.. I can only assume you did never. I used to be sportive, and when a couple of people met and wanted to play ball, the reallity hardly ever saw teams like 50 vs 10 "because I can only play in the blue jersey" or "I want to be on the winning team". Crowd vs Harlem Globetrotter matches excluded... If your reality works for you, that´s fine.. but without any sort of mechanism like a draft (for instance teamcaptains picking players in alternating order) that actually restricted the players choice of team, there would have been no matches. Just some food for thought.

Right now we have the situation, that always the same suspect changed team because a great majority does not, but those guys are getting tired of doing it always. If no other volunteers step up, there either be no real game/challenge or a mechanism that replaces volunteering. Just in the real world. Choice is good as long as it works, if it doesn´t work then you either leave the game or find another ruleset. That IS reality offline.

Edited by Monostripezebra

I have my doubts that very many people bother to do this. It's a pain in the a**. If they allow switching, why bother making people jump through this hoop in the first place.

Now that's a very good question. Lol

I'm not changing my name to fly on any server. So I don't blame people for remaining on the side they registerd. Who cares. Lol

Oh i guess some people do. Huh.

• Upvote 1

I have my doubts that very many people bother to do this.  It's a pain in the a**.  If they allow switching, why bother making people jump through this hoop in the first place.

I did it a little last campaign but I couldnt name six or seven other people that did.  I flew half of last campaign and was LW and then switched over to a few missions as Russian because I missed my Pe2.

Honestly, it doesnt even take a minute to change your name.  I didn't even think of it as a hassle at the time.

I did it a little last campaign but I couldnt name six or seven other people that did.  I flew half of last campaign and was LW and then switched over to a few missions as Russian because I missed my Pe2.

Honestly, it doesnt even take a minute to change your name.  I didn't even think of it as a hassle at the time.

The 19th switched a couple times, mostly to balance numbers and give the LW a hand as they were getting trounced. You're right it's not that much of a pain, but it's still an unneccesary disruption to gameplay and annoying that you have to close the game and come back. Like Stick said, why bother? (most likely the answer is that Kathon doesn't have the time to change the script to allow it)

In any case, most of our guys have given up on TAW it seems. Between the questionable aces and the balance issues, it's not worth the emotional investment like the first couple TAW campaigns. It's a shame, but I have hope for the server in the long term, if not this campaign.

• Upvote 4

I wonder if you have ever played ANY sort of teamsport.. I can only assume you did never. I used to be sportive, and when a couple of people met and wanted to play ball, the reallity hardly ever saw teams like 50 vs 10 "because I can only play in the blue jersey" or "I want to be on the winning team". Crowd vs Harlem Globetrotter matches excluded... If your reality works for you, that´s fine.. but without any sort of mechanism like a draft (for instance teamcaptains picking players in alternating order) that actually restricted the players choice of team, there would have been no matches. Just some food for thought.

Right now we have the situation, that always the same suspect changed team because a great majority does not, but those guys are getting tired of doing it always. If no other volunteers step up, there either be no real game/challenge or a mechanism that replaces volunteering. Just in the real world. Choice is good as long as it works, if it doesn´t work then you either leave the game or find another ruleset. That IS reality offline.

Sorry, you were sportive and you are assuming or accusing somebody else of never having played any sort of team sport?   :lol:

I guess we might get to see another video of you demonstrating your "sportive" solo team effort?  I'm might make an assumption that it will involve a PE2.

NOTE:

We let StG77_Roo5ter join in with us in a bombing raid and he did really well.  He learnt all about making friends and team work and he earned his Harlem Globetrotter pat on the back for his efforts.  Thankfully he didn't run off with the ball and he listened to his team captain.  WELL DONE Roo5ter  :good:

Edited by Haza
  • Upvote 3

First. I haven't play this campaign yet. I haven't so much time but the main reason is that the LW has so huge numerical advantage that I would rather play for VVS. But if I did so I would be locked for the rest of the campaign and wouldn't be able to fly with guys from my unit if they finally arrive. And I'm to lazy to switch my user name every time.

Second, based on the previous discussion I've begun the work on clip "How hard is to kill the tanks in BoS". This is just the start and I planned to get in not only Il-2 vs tanks bu various different VVS and LW planes. Just to show people what is possible in the game environment. I have very limited knowledge of mission editor therefore I use Quick Mission. Distance markers over the tanks are there just to mark the range vs convergence issue. My convergence is set for 350 m.  

The first clip show the frontal attack against Pz38t. Several things can be determined from that short movie: 

1) Though it was my fourth or fifth overall mission in Il-2 (I spent way more time to polished the approaches with Stuka) thus anyone else should be able to achieve the same result.

2) All AP load for VYa canons is used.

3) It doesn't seems to be any impact angle limitations since most of the hits landed on top part of Pz38 under less than 10 degree angle. They should be bounced at such low angle but they seem to did full damage. Note: this seems to be a general issue since the StuGIII suffer the same - I attacked it from 30 degree frontal attack and it didn't survive single run.

4) There's absolutely no apparent difference between how hard is to kill the Pz38 from front/side or rear. The only pro of side attack is that tank represents a bigger target than for rear or frontal run.

5) The time between first hit landed on the tank and the tank destruction is less than one seconds. With many hits missed the target (see the dust blew up behind the tank). Here I have to confess my error with three to four hits needed. They are probably more but still the Pz38t can be considered soft target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLDR5BzjVKU

• Upvote 1