=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

Well, I went to video the ground control software, and found that Atreides had already done it a year ago. Software has been slightly improved since then but not drastically:

To balence things, how about coding the TAW so that if 600 German Paratroopers land within 2-4km of an enemy city, the Soviet defenses are destroyed and the city becomes German. Also, the TAW team could make German columns do more damage to the Soviet defenses, to represent the Germans better training and experience at this point of the war. Finally, they could alliw German planes to carry the 3 giant bombs, providing an incentive to fly the stuka and He111

• Upvote 1

To balence things, how about coding the TAW so that if 600 German Paratroopers land within 2-4km of an enemy city, the Soviet defenses are destroyed and the city becomes German.

Not possible besides if blue side would have troops then reds would have them as well.

Also, the TAW team could make German columns do more damage to the Soviet defenses, to represent the Germans better training and experience at this point of the war.

We'll think about it.

Finally, they could alliw German planes to carry the 3 giant bombs, providing an incentive to fly the stuka and He111

Why 3, one nuke would be the best. :lol: But now serious I don't think we're going to change 111s and 87s armament.

More 110's would be better match against Pe-2's and IL-2's instead of Heinkels and Stukas...?

Yes, more 110 is possible. Can't tell now what will be the numbers but we're planning to add some.

Just a timy request please. 

On the front page of the website can the online players be ordered by name rather than rank so it is easier to see how many from the same Squadron are playing please...?

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Signed up and logged on but it says I cant use the BF109 F4 and if I dont change the plane I will get kicked from the server. I only have the deluxe edition of BOS.

Is this a BOM plane?

Hi Guys,

Signed up and logged on but it says I cant use the BF109 F4 and if I dont change the plane I will get kicked from the server. I only have the deluxe edition of BOS.

Is this a BOM plane?

You currently do not have any 109F4's in your pool of available aircraft. You need to perform combat missions to start earning aircraft. It seems you'll need to fly a Ju87 or He111 a couple times before you can get into a fighter since you do not own BoM.

Check your available aircraft at your profile page on the TAW website here: http://taw.stg2.de/pilot.php?name=SnakeBT6

Thanks,

If i Bought BOM would that free one up? Just curious as ive been thinking about buying it anyway.

Thanks for the response!

Yesterday a played a couple of sorties for the russians: in the first one I nearly shot down a german bomber using a Lagg-3, but due to my lack of skills I got killed by the bomber gunners.  On the second one I took an IL-2 and went to attack the german tanks, which didn't get a scratch, and the AAA wasn't particularly effective against me, but they attracted the attention of at least 3 bf109 which dealt with me swiftly and effectively.  

Lessons I get out of this:  

-don’t play as a lone wolf, you are as good as dead

-If the AAA doesn’t kill you it will still serve as a BIG wake up call, and a swarm of enemy planes will come and knock you down.

Just my thoughts as a frustrated pilot, who enjoys the game.

• Upvote 1

Thanks,

If i Bought BOM would that free one up? Just curious as ive been thinking about buying it anyway.

Thanks for the response!

No. But it will give you the ability to play the F2.

I think quorum is a great idea but in practice it isn't working.  I find it more of a deterrence to log on off peak hours than anything.

Thanks,

Thanks for the response!

Buying BoM will give you immediate access to the BoM pool of planes. In this part of the campaign the 109F2 is available at the start, so yes, you would have access to a fighter. Alternatively, you can fly three sorties with the aircraft you have available in the TAW campaign right now (Ju87 or He111) that are each at least 15 minutes long (starting from take off) or 5 minutes long with a ground or air kill. Each sortie that you make it back to an airfield alive will give you 1 combat mission. 3 combat missions awards you one aircraft...in this case it should award you a 109F4...but only one. If you lose it, to you have to fly 3 combat missions with your other available aircraft again.

Make sure you have only BoS selected on your pilot profile page on the TAW website and it may help to have only "fighters" selected as well...or just buy BoM.

• Upvote 1

WOL is totally differend type of server. You say there is not much targets but I cant remember situation where all of them was destroyed in one mission. Second thing is we cant make much more targets just like that its all about optimalisation. We have some plans but it needs time.

hey mate, i just had a look at the TAW map - for the Luftwaffe, they're getting pummelled from all sides and yet the only targets they have are :

1 bridge West of Saritsa

1 squadron of tanks in Rzhev

1 factory wayyyyy out to the east SE of Nesterovo

and 10 or so airfields. There may be a splattering of other targets I can't see from the map. 

All of these are covered with super accurate flak. 

For an army to be advancing, you'd need lots of inf, tanks and trucks...then you also need supply lines snaking in behind them (trains, trucks, ships, etc etc) not to mention artillery positions. There seriously needs to be more targets. 

Awesome server!

I've finally gotten my take off and landings pinned down for the He and Stuka. Completed two Sorties now and am having a blast. I'll be playing here every chance I get when I'm not doing PWCG.

I'll be sure to post suggestions and bugs as I come across them!

Yesterday I played at TAW again and I wanted to share my experience with you and give a possible reason why the player count is low in this server.

I wanted to fly a few missions and recover the two planes I had lost the previous day, so I flew two resupply missions, no problem so far.  Then I decided to fly a more exciting and dangerous bombing mission with a Peshka, for some reason I had problems with the startup process in the second engine and I had to restart the mission a few times; finally I get the engines going and start taxing but the left wing tip get stuck in the wall of one of those structures to protect the static planes and I have to restart again; in the end I fly the bombing mission and return to base safely.  Later I see that I get a new plane but to my surprise the one stuck close to the taxi way had been marked as ditched, so after close to 2 hours of gameplay I end up with the same plane set I started with.  

I think that the need to fly 3 combat missions to recover a lost plane acts as a discouraging measure, at least for the not so skilled among us.  If I want to recover a plane with little risk, I would have to fly 3 resupply missions, which means around 1 hour of not to exciting game play, including startups, taxings, take offs, etc.

If I wanted to live the life of an airline pilot I would fly MS fligth simulator, but I want to life of risk and death of a fighter or bomber pilot.  

Maybe you should consider lowering the requirements to recover a lost plane.

Don’t consider this a harsh critic, just wanted to help with my own experience.

Cheers

Just an idea,

But how about letting the Axis side have all the ordinance available, 

Just for 1 campaign to see how it goes. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe a suggestion. If it's a Tactical Air War are we suppose to fight all the offensives (map rotation) until the end of the war. Because now it's like if you loose 4 offensives the war is over. Now it's more a competition then a war if it's the first 4/7. Maybe you can think about that just a suggestion.

It will be sad too to don't see the G2 and Yak 1b !

Just found it was 5 on 7.

Edited by 4./JG52_Manu653

Maybe a suggestion. If it's a Tactical Air War are we suppose to fight all the offensives (map rotation) until the end of the war. Because now it's like if you loose 4 offensives the war is over. Now it's more a competition then a war if it's the first 4/7. Maybe you can think about that just a suggestion.

It will be sad too to don't see the G2 and Yak 1b !

Isnt that we need one team with 7 Victories?

Not sure it's should be a 4 on 7 need to be confirmed.

Its still 5 maps to win a war.

5 on 7 from Lt Artur it's not 4 on 7 but 5 on 7.

Edited by 4./JG52_Manu653

Isnt that we need one team with 7 Victories?

Only 5 victories are needed. 

There are 7 different plane sets but victory condition is the same: 5 maps to win.

There is periodic problem with the availability of the web site. We are working on it. Server, DB and script are running without problems.

Yesterday I played at TAW again and I wanted to share my experience with you and give a possible reason why the player count is low in this server.

I wanted to fly a few missions and recover the two planes I had lost the previous day, so I flew two resupply missions, no problem so far.  Then I decided to fly a more exciting and dangerous bombing mission with a Peshka, for some reason I had problems with the startup process in the second engine and I had to restart the mission a few times; finally I get the engines going and start taxing but the left wing tip get stuck in the wall of one of those structures to protect the static planes and I have to restart again; in the end I fly the bombing mission and return to base safely.  Later I see that I get a new plane but to my surprise the one stuck close to the taxi way had been marked as ditched, so after close to 2 hours of gameplay I end up with the same plane set I started with.  

I think that the need to fly 3 combat missions to recover a lost plane acts as a discouraging measure, at least for the not so skilled among us.  If I want to recover a plane with little risk, I would have to fly 3 resupply missions, which means around 1 hour of not to exciting game play, including startups, taxings, take offs, etc.

If I wanted to live the life of an airline pilot I would fly MS fligth simulator, but I want to life of risk and death of a fighter or bomber pilot.  

Maybe you should consider lowering the requirements to recover a lost plane.

Don’t consider this a harsh critic, just wanted to help with my own experience.

Cheers

I feel your pain. Taxying is the real killer. So many people are always having some mishap before even getting to the runway.

You could always select airfields instead of runways, if one is available.

I think the difficulty with lowering the requirement on getting planes back is that the TAW team wants the penalty to be high enough so that people can't always be in fighters they want and have to do some other kinds of missions every so often. If the penalty is lower, really good fighter pilots might never lose all of their planes and be forced to do something else, essentially leaving the more objective-oriented missions to the less experienced pilots and create a scenario where superior fighters are constantly keeping the sky clear of lesser skilled pilots struggling to complete missions with bombers and transports. This is only true if most people prefer fighters, which I think is a safe bet.

That being said, does the TAW team have any kind of data on how many consistent players are actually losing all of their preferred planes and having to fly something else to get them back? If that number is high, then I'm sure they could be persuaded to lower the plane recovery mission count by 1. But that's a huge maybe and would depend on the stats.

On another note, what is the peak time for this server, usually? I'm in the EST time zone. Any other consistent EST players here?

I need some wingmen. Right now I can really only just hope I don't run into enemy planes or get hit by a crippling flak shot for completing missions lol

Edited by Scojo

Hi.

Latelly when trying to enter TAW site I got that mesage: "Connection failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '146.0.32.24' (146)"

What;s going on ?

Ramm.

Hi.

Latelly when trying to enter TAW site I got that mesage: "Connection failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '146.0.32.24' (146)"

What;s going on ?

Ramm.

Periodical problem. Website can't connect to MySQL for about 20 minutes and then everything is ok for next 20 min and so on. We haven't found cause of this issue yet :(

Hi Gents

Kathon will soon be giving me permission within the TAW TS3 to create permanent channels for Squadrons to operate.  The idea is that, sure you will get together within your own TS3 / Ventrillo / Mumble / Discourse etc, but then transfer to the TAW TS3 into your own Squadron channel and remain listening out in your own TS3 etc...

That way you can set up whispers to the other squdron channels to help coordinate the tactical effort and enharnce the overall game for us all. 

If you would like your own Squadron Channel in the TAW TS3 please make a request in this thread:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/26619-tactical-air-war-squadron-channels-request-thread/

It will take me a little time but I will get them set up for you when I can. 

Many thanks

Gos

• Upvote 1

Hi Gents

Kathon will soon be giving me permission within the TAW TS3 to create permanent channels for Squadrons to operate.  The idea is that, sure you will get together within your own TS3 / Ventrillo / Mumble / Discourse etc, but then transfer to the TAW TS3 into your own Squadron channel and remain listening out in your own TS3 etc...

That way you can set up whispers to the other squdron channels to help coordinate the tactical effort and enharnce the overall game for us all. 

If you would like your own Squadron Channel in the TAW TS3 please make a request in this thread:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/26619-tactical-air-war-squadron-channels-request-thread/

It will take me a little time but I will get them set up for you when I can. 

Many thanks

Gos

Worked great in SEOW and SOW, looking forward to having it here.

Now can it be that 600 German paratroopers dropped around a city captures it? That means that it has to be a squadron effort, with a 2nd wave.

Hi. few suggestions.

1. The Axis should have the 110 from the beginning. Its way older then the pe-2. And on some of the maps (sooner then now) it should be the “CM+1” instead of the stuka. Just to try to balance the axis ground attacker disadvantage.

2. Please remove the quorum. It's more of a problem then a solution.

3. Please remove the capture airfield by landing. Doesn’t have a place in realistic server. And some other potential problems.

4. If all other thing are equal the defender should have the edge. Right now the “attacker” has the advantage because defence position are much easier to destroy. Because they don’t have tanks. Attacking force should be more vulnerable to air attack because He is not dagg in. This will also improve the problem of swift winning.

5. The mechanic of instance lose because of number of aircraft/pilot/tanks killed should be removed. Its an immersion killer. The (aircraft/pilot) losses should be incorporated to the attacker/defender calculation so the more resource you lose the weaker your attacking ( or defending) force become. More or less like depot are functioning.

6. Unit destruction ( tank column, defence position  depot or airfield ) are not realistic ( outside of sims :) ). You can hit them hard, but there is always something left. The units should be so big ( enough object with spaces between them ) that they will “survive” the rounds.

7. The most used bomb by ground attacker were the 50Kg bombs (as far as I know). In Box they are almost useless. Our targets either too hard ( like tanks ) or too close together so a heavy bomb can take few targets together ( mainly in defence position ) . Most of the targets should be soft enough for 50Kg bombs to be effective. They should have enough separation from each other so larger bomb won't take few of them together. And there should be enough of them so there will be an incentive to take as much bombs as possible instead of taking the largest bombs possible. Tanks weren’t the main targets most of the time.

Thanks for reading :)

• Upvote 7

low numbers?

on a side note can you fix Scojo he wants Allied side.

web site down 

Connection failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '146.0.32.24' (146)

Edited by 71st_AH_Mastiff