=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

The Binomium  Hard  /  realistic i think is interesting.

IRL , pilots no recibed tecnochat alerts. But IRL they see cockpit in 1:1 escale ( i never used VR ) but maybe is more easy check data on 1:1 word.  I think tecnochat helps on this point.

But the most interesting is the absolute absensce of sensations. For example G efects have the purposse of simulate it on some way... and its only capable on visual area for the player.(lost of vision to red or black )

Is interesting for me, because reading some pilot biography...  For example 

Once time, Andres Fierro  and 2 more members of giap, take off at same time ... they recibed a radio message,  enemy H111 inbound very high. Three pilots take off fast to intercept enemy... same plane, same loadout  but along the climbing... Andres fierro take huge distance to the rest... this wasnt a anecdotical situation... Fierro usually climb more fast than rest of squad members . The rest ask to him, how he can do allways it... Basically he replies, he have a eye on gauges and dials ... but he simply feel the engine ... simply listen to engine he know whate they need and manage to take max power.  That was interesting for me. Ok are gauges, are dials, are instructions etc, etc.... but at the end, best performance is obtained by pilot feeling and listening plane.

Fusion man/machine and ciborgs on ww2 

;)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 72AG_SerWolf said:

Depend what monitor you use. I have 27inch, gauges 1-2cm in normal FOV.

And realistic not equal real, if you understand what I mean. So you dont want compass and technochat, but you can die a lot of times. May be shoot of the technochat and give for you only one life? So if you die, bring you computer to the trash :)

little kidding:)

If you fly a plane a lot, you learn the scale of gauges. You don't have to see exactly every detail when taking a glance at them. Also I noticed that it's not really necessary to look at them as much as you think. Engine sound is a good hint for example. Not hard at all and you get used it very quickly.

This is a game but people look for immersion. Flying without technochat is fun and more immersive to me than navigating on map for example. Imo technochat is the most gamey feature in the game. It seems that TAW is going with technochat off next time. So, people just have to get used to it.

Howdy. Usually have a ton of fun on your server but the other day I ran a mission and on the way to the objective I was shot down and killed by an enemy fighter. Nothing out of the normal except I got hit with a 20h respawn penalty. I thought it was 5 minutes?

Kind of sucked cause I was playing with a group and that meant that flight-night was over.

6 minutes ago, GearheadXII-A said:

Howdy. Usually have a ton of fun on your server but the other day I ran a mission and on the way to the objective I was shot down and killed by an enemy fighter. Nothing out of the normal except I got hit with a 20h respawn penalty. I thought it was 5 minutes?

Kind of sucked cause I was playing with a group and that meant that flight-night was over.

flights.thumb.png.bbcd1c0c7dde9c141f77c2ed5f15f7de.png

You received a penalty because you have lost all of your lives

Super excited about no technochat on TAW! 🙌

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

59 минут назад, 666GIAP_Tumu сказал:

The Binomium  Hard  /  realistic i think is interesting.

IRL , pilots no recibed tecnochat alerts. But IRL they see cockpit in 1:1 escale ( i never used VR ) but maybe is more easy check data on 1:1 word.  I think tecnochat helps on this point.

But the most interesting is the absolute absensce of sensations. For example G efects have the purposse of simulate it on some way... and its only capable on visual area for the player.(lost of vision to red or black )

Is interesting for me, because reading some pilot biography...  For example 

Once time, Andres Fierro  and 2 more members of giap, take off at same time ... they recibed a radio message,  enemy H111 inbound very high. Three pilots take off fast to intercept enemy... same plane, same loadout  but along the climbing... Andres fierro take huge distance to the rest... this wasnt a anecdotical situation... Fierro usually climb more fast than rest of squad members . The rest ask to him, how he can do allways it... Basically he replies, he have a eye on gauges and dials ... but he simply feel the engine ... simply listen to engine he know whate they need and manage to take max power.  That was interesting for me. Ok are gauges, are dials, are instructions etc, etc.... but at the end, best performance is obtained by pilot feeling and listening plane.

Fusion man/machine and ciborgs on ww2 

;)

IRL pilots use one plane, and know this plane from A to Z

In this GAME i use at least ten types of planes

May be make some experiment? No technochat, 1 plane and 1 live at 1 campaign on TAW? All like in real life, super realistic. And no change plane during campaign. If you take 110, use it from begining to the end :) maximum upgrade when new type of 110 is coming

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Yeah and how are you going to enjoy the campaign if everyone circles at 9km? 😁

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, 72AG_SerWolf said:

IRL pilots use one plane, and know this plane from A to Z

In this GAME i use at least ten types of planes

May be make some experiment? No technochat, 1 plane and 1 live at 1 campaign on TAW? All like in real life, super realistic. And no change plane during campaign. If you take 110, use it from begining to the end :) maximum upgrade when new type of 110 is coming

You don't trust much your learning capabilities obviously. 

If Taw launches your experiment, I'm in.

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2020 at 10:16 PM, NoSmallDreams said:

Of course, the only way to properly fix the issue would be if the IL2 devs would remove the exploit

I would rate pilot exit as he was shot down and killed.

4 hours ago, LLv24_Zami said:

Why can`t you use gauges to check what how the engine is running? Or the temperatures?

It`s not hard.

For a number of functions not having any sort of visual indication in game makes it harder for the players to know what they are doing compared to real life where with just moving the physical controls they could estimate the desired position. In game people will have to stare at the controls and lose situational awareness unnecesarily, and this isn't a red vs blue thing, planes from both sides suffer from it and there are some planes even that don't have useful indications like bomb selection or engine shutter controls.

In my opinion the tecnochat off option was kinda rushed without properly evaluating how it affected on a plane per plane basis. With just a fill up bar for the input controls and correcting the bomb/rocket selection mechanics in all the plane's cockpit it would have been ok, but it isn't the case in game currently.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

For a number of functions not having any sort of visual indication in game makes it harder for the players to know what they are doing compared to real life where with just moving the physical controls they could estimate the desired position. In game people will have to stare at the controls and lose situational awareness unnecesarily, and this isn't a red vs blue thing, planes from both sides suffer from it and there are some planes even that don't have useful indications like bomb selection or engine shutter controls.

In my opinion the tecnochat off option was kinda rushed without properly evaluating how it affected on a plane per plane basis. With just a fill up bar for the input controls and correcting the bomb/rocket selection mechanics in all the plane's cockpit it would have been ok, but it isn't the case in game currently.

Most planes have some kind of indication to its controls. And most of us use hotas controls, which are in muscle memory already. I can estimate what is happening by using it. No necessarily need to even look at the cockpit. If you push flap button in Yak, you know it`s down until you push it again. No need to see the lever or any technochat about it. I agree, this is not a blue vs red thing. It`s equally fun for everyone. 

There are some indications which could be included, like engine selection and few others. Minor issues which are not show stoppers but can be adjusted before next TAW.

Edited by LLv24_Zami
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Yeah and how are you going to enjoy the campaign if everyone circles at 9km? 😁

Why would everyone circle at 9km? 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, LLv24_Zami said:

If you push flap button in Yak, you know it`s down until you push it again.

Yak flaps aren't a good example though, you can easily feel it and that's a single push/pull control irl, so no problem not having info about it. I am talking things like radiator controls. Not everyone has physical axis for all of them. I have TWCS hotas but the only axis I have are throttle and rpm, the rest of the engine management is done via buttons and keyboard keys.

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard

1 minute ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

Yak flaps aren't a good example though, you can easily feel it and that's a single push/pull control irl, so no problem not having info about it. I am talking things like radiator controls. Not everyone has physical axis for all of them. I have TWCS hotas but the only axis I have are throttle and rpm, the rest of the engine management is done via buttons and keyboard keys.

I have not physical axis to the radiator controls and had no problems.

I think the problem is that people wan`t to be 100% sure that they can push their aircraft absolutely maximum at all times. Well, now you have to questimate a bit more. Not much but a little. I think it`s quite real. And I`m sure in RL pilots situational awareness was distracted sometimes by operating their planes. 

Anyways, I`ll accept what ever TAW devs decide on this matter. Or any other server. I`m good either way even I favor techchat off.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, =L/R=todchenko said:

flights.thumb.png.bbcd1c0c7dde9c141f77c2ed5f15f7de.png

You received a penalty because you have lost all of your lives

Oh! I didn't get that, sorry. How do the loves work? I can't find that info in the manual. Do I get them back after CMs or after time?

10 minutes ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

You can get a pretty close Idea of how open the wheel is by looking at a dent and counting how many times it revolves. 1 Revolution = 40% open. Then, like any other plane, you use the temp gauges to adjust... it really isnt´that hard

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ACG_Vietkong said:

You can get a pretty close Idea of how open the wheel is by looking at a dent and counting how many times it revolves. 1 Revolution = 40% open. Then, like any other plane, you use the temp gauges to adjust... it really isnt´that hard

I know, what I say is that having to stare at that and count the revolutions is one of those cases of "harder than IRL" and for a number of planes intermediate positions are the least drag ones, so going by temps alone can result into a performance decrease.

With just a simple unintrusive graphic bar you can keep the SA, adjust them with similar precision than it would be possible IRL, and avoid the scary percentages.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

I know, what I say is that having to stare at that and count the revolutions is one of those cases of "harder than IRL" and for a number of planes intermediate positions are the least drag ones, so going by temps alone can result into a performance decrease.

With just a simple unintrusive graphic bar you can keep the SA, adjust them with similar precision than it would be possible IRL, and avoid the scary percentages.

And you don`t have to even stare. It can be estimated by how long you push the radiator button. You know you had rads full open, it`s easy to estimate how much they close when pushing the button. And vice versa. The real pilots estimated it too because there`s no indicator for their position. It`s exactly the same thing.

Edited by LLv24_Zami
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, GearheadXII-A said:

Oh! I didn't get that, sorry. How do the loves work? I can't find that info in the manual. Do I get them back after CMs or after time?

at the moment:

There are 3 lives for each map. If pilot dies, captured or disco his live counter is reduced by:

• 1 when he is in bigger team
  • X when he is in smaller team where X = #smaller_team/#bigger_team. Example: Axis players: 28, Allied players: 20 so X for Allied is 20/28 = 0.71.

Every time “Lives on map” counter (shown in pilots hangar) <= 0 then pilot has 20 hours time penalty. After this penalty counter is increased by 1 so he may fly again.

Manual should be updated on the next campaign.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, LLv24_Zami said:

And you don`t have to even stare. It can be estimated by how long you push the radiator button. You know you had rads full open, it`s easy to estimate how much they close when pushing the button. And vice versa. The real pilots estimated it too because there`s no indicator for their position. It`s exactly the same thing.

The response per time isn't linear for the button controls though, it first starts slowly and then speeds up, and it's quite hard to time accurately time these ranges mentally (0.7 seconds, 1.3 seconds, etc)... that is quite exaggerated tbh, resorting to mentally timing button activation.  Real pilots did it with memory muscle feeback, feel the range of the control input, and set it at the desired positon, not hard to picture really.

My gripe isn't having the percentages off, the issue I see is the game feature not beign complete and with some oversights that need to be adressed before being implemented. And some people jumping on the "oh I love this disable it now" aren't really evaluating how it impacts the user experience in these planes that are hurt by it (which could have been solved by a more thoughtful implementation).

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MattS said:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I disagree that pushing a button for some period of time is "exactly the same thing" as rotating a wheel a certain amount. The wheel offers much better feedback to the hand on how much it has been moved than a button ever could.

@-=PHX=-SuperEtendard

is 100% right that this is one of those things where IRL is actually easier/more useful than a sim implementation due to tactile feedback etc. Whether it's worth worrying about is up to each of us.

In both you estimate, it`s exactly the same.

5 minutes ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

The response per time isn't linear for the button controls though, it first starts slowly and then speeds up, and it's quite hard to time accurately time these ranges mentally (0.7 seconds, 1.3 seconds, etc)... that is quite exaggerated tbh, resorting to mentally timing button activation.  Real pilots did it with memory muscle feeback, feel the range of the control input, and set it at the desired positon, not hard to picture really.

My gripe isn't having the percentages off, the issue I see is the game feature not beign complete and with some oversights that need to be adressed before being implemented. And some people jumping on the "oh I love this disable it now" aren't really evaluating how it impacts the user experience in these planes that are hurt by it (which could have been solved by a more thoughtful implementation).

Ok. I`m just talking about my own experience. I found it very easy to estimate the position of rads by pushing the buttons. That`s all I can say. It`s an estimation as it was in real life afaik.

No one has said it`s perfect feature, that you are making up by your own. But it can be used immediately without bigger problems in my experience. That`s basically where I have to rely on this you know, even if you disagree.

31 minutes ago, MattS said:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I disagree that pushing a button for some period of time is "exactly the same thing" as rotating a wheel a certain amount. The wheel offers much better feedback to the hand on how much it has been moved than a button ever could.

@-=PHX=-SuperEtendard

is 100% right that this is one of those things where IRL is actually easier/more useful than a sim implementation due to tactile feedback etc. Whether it's worth worrying about is up to each of us.

I really can´t imagine that you could get % precision from moving a wheel and feeling it while your head is on swivel in an engagement IRL. I´d argue that pressing a button which litterally takes a finger to lift on your setup (hotas joystick, keybord) is a much easier thing to do. It is really up to you to figure out which way is the best to go about it(yes some hardware makes this easier). The entire point of removing the % precision on the technochat, is to have every pilot act more conservatively when flying his own plane and use the gauges on his aircraft. Until now, I had never actually looked at the supercharger lever to see which position it was.

Unfortunately some planes are more impacted by this than others. Most LW has a lot automation which was RL design advantage but they still have to watch the throttle and AtA. However, all of this is not going to stop me from flying VVS planes in TAW

4 hours ago, mincer said:

Why would everyone circle at 9km? 

If you had only one life and one single plane per campaign on TAW - as the dude suggested - many people would be as careful to the point of not ever coming down from up there.😁

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

If you had only one life and one single plane per campaign on TAW - as the dude suggested - many people would be as careful to the point of not ever coming down from up there.😁

It's ridiculous is what it is. Most people get killed at least once per map. So within a map or two you would have a fraction of the players left flying, and probably almost no ground attackers to speak of. And long before that you would have extremely low player numbers. Getting captured or killed ends your whole campaign, so it hugely punishes ground attackers and anyone flying cover for them over enemy territory. I guess the some guys would be happy for five minutes until they ran out of targets, then they could go on the forum and call guys on the other side cowards for not flying straight and level through their gunsight. Although an AI gunner kill would be truly troll-worthy if it ended a guys whole career. Probably we would see a flood of demands to remove all AI gunners from the game and people could only fly the Il-2 1941 for ground attack. 

Every map would end in a stalemate with uber-aces circling friendly ground targets at high altitude, wondering where everyone went. 

Also, the choose one plane thing makes no sense for planes with no upgrade path. What about the guys flying I-16s or P-40s early on? Are they stuck flying those against 109G-6s in the late campaign?

• Upvote 2

A sufficient number of pilots have long been flying with the techno-tech disabled and at the same time flying efficiently. This proves that there is nothing impossible.
At the same time, visual monitoring of sensors and various manipulators is distracting, sometimes making mistakes. Certainly
the ability to do without techno chat will be an advantage when playing on the server.

I think that flying without a tech chat can be an interesting experience, the same as orienting on a map without GPS

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

11 hours ago, LLv24_Zami said:

Why can`t you use gauges to check what how the engine is running? Or the temperatures?

It`s not hard.

It's not hard but it's harder and a lot more tedious.

Temperature is a bad example, all engines' oils and water start to overheat at the same temperature. But there are dozens of combinations of RPM and manifold pressure for "continuous," "combat," "emergency" modes; it will be a pain in the ass to memorize them all or to create visual references for them. In real life a pilot would fly one plane for weeks or months at a time and wouldn't have to bother knowing all that info for all of his air-force and the opposing air-force too.

In real life, a pilot can glance at his gauges by moving his eyes; here we have to move our heads. If we have to check gauges in a chase then with the game's current spotting problems we may easily lose sight of the bandit we're chasing. Additionally, looking down may not be enough; you may also need to shift your pilot's head to the side to look around something that's obstructing your gauge; if you don't have head-tracking or VR then that means using an additional control.

In real life, controls for things like radiators or flaps are a lot more tactile than keyboard buttons; you can adjust them by feel only much like how you can adjust the fan speed or air temperature in you car using sliders and knobs without taking your eyes off the road.

In real life, a pilot would be getting tactile input from the plane itself: subtle noises, vibrations, or even smells. I don't need to look at the RPM gauge when I'm coming close to red-lining my car's engine but in a computer game the only non-visual indicator of excessive RPM is sound, which is no-where near as subtle and indicative of problems as real life engine sounds.

In real life, a pilot would feel his plane sliding sideways without needing to check the position of the yaw trim controls.

Mostly, I want my flying on TAW to be about flying tactics, skills, strategies, adrenaline; not about being a good steam-locomotive engineer who keeps his eye on and understands his engine gauges all the time.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Disclaimer: This post is not aimed at the pros that already know, and if you feel you are, just ignore it, you'll already know:

I have flown with techno-chat fully disabled for two years since 2018, as HUD off gave better performance in VR. I didn't burn my engine once this TAW or the Winter TAW (was busy during the Western one), neither with LW nor VVS planes. It's no magic. Few tips:

In SCG we always cruise at 1.0 or 1.1 ata anyway or at 2000rpm and lower mannifold pressure when VVS, and we're not being too shabby I dare say. You get more time in flight too.

If anything overheats accidently, I had always have a squadmate call out white smoke. Rads fully open and nose down -> all fine.

Also, listen to the engines guys. The differences when jumping between cruise / combat / WEP are very often noticable.

But the most valuable tip that has already been mentioned here by  to specialize in a plane type - if you have a fixed amount of hours per week, it's largely beneficial if you stick to one or maximum two series. Like the Yaks, fly the Yaks. Like the LAs, stick to the LAs. 

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, WokeUpBlue said:

Temperature is a bad example, all engines' oils and water start to overheat at the same temperature. But there are dozens of combinations of RPM and manifold pressure for "continuous," "combat," "emergency" modes; it will be a pain in the ass to memorize them all or to create visual references for them. In real life a pilot would fly one plane for weeks or months at a time and wouldn't have to bother knowing all that info for all of his air-force and the opposing air-force too.

In real life, a pilot can glance at his gauges by moving his eyes; here we have to move our heads. If we have to check gauges in a chase then with the game's current spotting problems we may easily lose sight of the bandit we're chasing. Additionally, looking down may not be enough; you may also need to shift your pilot's head to the side to look around something that's obstructing your gauge; if you don't have head-tracking or VR then that means using an additional control.

In real life, controls for things like radiators or flaps are a lot more tactile than keyboard buttons; you can adjust them by feel only much like how you can adjust the fan speed or air temperature in you car using sliders and knobs without taking your eyes off the road.

In real life, a pilot would be getting tactile input from the plane itself: subtle noises, vibrations, or even smells. I don't need to look at the RPM gauge when I'm coming close to red-lining my car's engine but in a computer game the only non-visual indicator of excessive RPM is sound, which is no-where near as subtle and indicative of problems as real life engine sounds.

In real life, a pilot would feel his plane sliding sideways without needing to check the position of the yaw trim controls.

Mostly, I want my flying on TAW to be about flying tactics, skills, strategies, adrenaline; not about being a good steam-locomotive engineer who keeps his eye on and understands his engine gauges all the time.

Nice wall of text you got there. Smell is nice.

But in fact just roll on my statements on this thread and you have your answers. Most of us that fly MP in TAW have hundreds or thousands of hours in sim getting used to the controls. 

It`s really quite easy put in short. Practically no difference in technochat on or off  in my experience. 

Edited by LLv24_Zami

28 minutes ago, WokeUpBlue said:

Why not give it a try in single player and see how it goes? Looking at the gauges is much closer to real life than looking at a HUD in a WW2 bird.

• Upvote 6

Hi guys!
May I ask you something?
One of my mates had been chute killed by a guy called "ChristSnatcher"
Well, long story short, we tried to check on this guy but there's a message of error or something like that.

Doest it mean he just has been banned? he just erased his account or what?
Thank you guys.

risctSnatcher

2 hours ago, LLv24_Zami said:

It`s really quite easy put in short. Practically no difference in technochat on or off  in my experience. 

So why not turn it off for yourself but let those who prefer to have it on to keep it on?

2 hours ago, Raven109 said:

Why not give it a try in single player and see how it goes? Looking at the gauges is much closer to real life than looking at a HUD in a WW2 bird.

I know, I tried it. Sure it’s more realistic, but other unavoidably unrealistic things In this game make looking at gauges harder than in reality, as I described in my perfumed wall of text.

Also, this is a game, reality is tedious. I don’t want TAW to be Berolga but I don’t want the balance to skew towards too much tedium either.

I am pro not having tech chat, learning the planes and reading the gauges, but in case of twins we need the developers to make a key bind to feather engine 1 and a key binding for  engine 2.

The way it is now un select engine 1 , select engine  2, de select all will be very hard with no tech chat.

• Upvote 5

21 minutes ago, WokeUpBlue said:

So why not turn it off for yourself but let those who prefer to have it on to keep it on?

I'm not the one who is making decisions on Taw. It's decided on the server level, I'll play with what they choose. Fair enough 

16 minutes ago, LLv24_Zami said:

I'm not the one who is making decisions on Taw. It's decided on the server level, I'll play with what they choose. Fair enough 

OK, so let me ask you another way: what difference does it make to you if I have technochat on?

3 hours ago, WokeUpBlue said:

OK, so let me ask you another way: what difference does it make to you if I have technochat on?

Immersion.

4 hours ago, SCG_motoadve said:

I am pro not having tech chat, learning the planes and reading the gauges, but in case of twins we need the developers to make a key bind to feather engine 1 and a key binding for  engine 2.

The way it is now un select engine 1 , select engine  2, de select all will be very hard with no tech chat.

I use 3 buttons. You can bind select engine X to one button and double bind feathering to it - do this twice, once for each engine. The third button just has a single bind to reselect control of both engines.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LLv24_Zami said:

Immersion.

Can’t you just turn off HUD in your own settings for your own immersion?

9 hours ago, Ala13_elchinodecai said:

Hi guys!
May I ask you something?
One of my mates had been chute killed by a guy called "ChristSnatcher"
Well, long story short, we tried to check on this guy but there's a message of error or something like that.

Doest it mean he just has been banned? he just erased his account or what?
Thank you guys.

risctSnatcher

Probably he changed his name

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WokeUpBlue said:

Can’t you just turn off HUD in your own settings for your own immersion?

Nope. I wan't you to have same immersion. See the light you know.

Edited by LLv24_Zami
  • Haha 1

I gotta say guys from one server admin to another... TAW - a server which has suffered some of it's lowest population in recent times - is taking action that further restricts the type of player able to participate. It seems like a bad idea if you want to restore player numbers to their former glory.

• Upvote 2