=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

Posted (edited)

If lack of players is the issue, why don't we propose solutions to that, then?

Imho, this server offers the most realistic experience because of the feelings it gives to the pilots. Some are engaged by a kind of narcissistic sense with the stats, some enjoy being in the top chart so others can see how good they are, some others just want the competitive part of the game (winning maps/battles to win a war), some just want to fly with a purpose (doing a CAP/ground attack matters in this server), some likes the role play (flying every mission as if they were really there), other enjoy the teamplay and plan attacks with many planes, etc. Most, we enjoy many of these aspects.

So I think that focussing the discussion on the lives' rule is silly. We can improve many other aspects to increase the number of players in many ways without losing the realistic essence in TAW. Even if we change the 3livesrule, there are still sooooo many thing we can improve, instead of just having brainless infinite discussions. Some quick thoughts:

• KEY: Update the manual and translate it to other languages. I could do it to spanish.
  • Update the website, make it more attractive visually. I'm sure that there are +20 volunteers in this forum to help on that.
  • Do a kind of specific forum/subforum for TAW. Maybe some of the big squads could just let a section of their owns (E69 in the past did it with other initiatives). So there is a place were pleople can interact, not only for whinning but also for improving creative aspects (videos of the sorties, memes, some role players can even write brief stories based on their experience, etc.).
  • To promote cooperative missions and the strategic game, two subforums (one blue one red) could be created with on/two members of each squadron. We did it flying multisquadron cooperative campaigns in 1946 and it worked fine. In this way there could be a background of strategy in the maps, and also, intersquadron missions could be planned. In my experience, big formations and big missions are the funniest. Obviously not eveyone will have to take part on this, and casual player will keep fittin in the server, but whoever wants to be more engaged with TAW, could have a place to promote it.
  • Promote the server in more places/websites/forums.
  • many many others...

Those are just some quick thoughts, I just want to be possitive and contribute to this because whinning and fighting is just useless. And for endless discussions I already have my squadmates xD. There are like 2k registered players, but only with a few good contributions and the will of devs, we can improve TAW for all of us.

Edited by E69_Soec
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

First I take a break and rest from the Il-2, and then I train with my squad and prepare for the next campaign on TAW.

I don't see the point in turning TAW into a kind of WoL when the WoL is already working fine.

I certainly wasn't suggesting that either, however, I read your post to imply that no other servers appealed to you and hence my question regarding what you did when TAW was down.

I certainly don't belong to a squad nor do I have that sense of yearning or belonging so I guess it goes to show that everybody plays for different reasons. 

This perhaps goes to show why it is so difficult to attract and keep players or squads in servers and why it is so disappointing to read that some players care little that people are 'walking away' from servers.

Regards

I would like to know, during the last campaign on the Western front, American players also did not play on TAW? Does anyone remember that?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

I would like to know, during the last campaign on the Western front, American players also did not play on TAW? Does anyone remember that?

There is no one root cause.  The 3 life rule is a contributing factor, the balance in NA over the last 5-6 campaigns is a contributing factor, targets on top of each other forcing bombers into a powderkeg of AA and CAP over and over and over and over every map is a contributing factor, etc etc.  

Now, I can go into CB or WoL and get into a new fight in 4 min, or I can tool around for 45 min before I see another plane in TAW.

Now I'm not saying TAW is bad at all.  In fact, it is my favorite server, but simply empty most nights (I will always check TAW first before deciding to go elsewhere).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 часов назад, E69_Soec сказал:

If lack of players is the issue, why don't we propose solutions to that, then?

Imho, this server offers the most realistic experience because of the feelings it gives to the pilots. Some are engaged by a kind of narcissistic sense with the stats, some enjoy being in the top chart so others can see how good they are, some others just want the competitive part of the game (winning maps/battles to win a war), some just want to fly with a purpose (doing a CAP/ground attack matters in this server), some likes the role play (flying every mission as if they were really there), other enjoy the teamplay and plan attacks with many planes, etc. Most, we enjoy many of these aspects.

So I think that focussing the discussion on the lives' rule is silly. We can improve many other aspects to increase the number of players in many ways without losing the realistic essence in TAW. Even if we change the 3livesrule, there are still sooooo many thing we can improve, instead of just having brainless infinite discussions. Some quick thoughts:

• KEY: Update the manual and translate it to other languages. I could do it to spanish.
  • Update the website, make it more attractive visually. I'm sure that there are +20 volunteers in this forum to help on that.
  • Do a kind of specific forum/subforum for TAW. Maybe some of the big squads could just let a section of their owns (E69 in the past did it with other initiatives). So there is a place were pleople can interact, not only for whinning but also for improving creative aspects (videos of the sorties, memes, some role players can even write brief stories based on their experience, etc.).
  • To promote cooperative missions and the strategic game, two subforums (one blue one red) could be created with on/two members of each squadron. We did it flying multisquadron cooperative campaigns in 1946 and it worked fine. In this way there could be a background of strategy in the maps, and also, intersquadron missions could be planned. In my experience, big formations and big missions are the funniest. Obviously not eveyone will have to take part on this, and casual player will keep fittin in the server, but whoever wants to be more engaged with TAW, could have a place to promote it.
  • Promote the server in more places/websites/forums.
  • many many others...

Those are just some quick thoughts, I just want to be possitive and contribute to this because whinning and fighting is just useless. And for endless discussions I already have my squadmates xD. There are like 2k registered players, but only with a few good contributions and the will of devs, we can improve TAW for all of us.

Also i think will be greate to exchange a planes inside squads:

someone didn't flying on bobmbers/ground attackers/fighter and can give ground attacker/bomber/fighter to another member of squad.

And i miss on a "Air Domination War" lines mechanics

Edited by -=RedS=-Str1ke

1 hour ago, -=RedS=-Str1ke said:

Also i think will be greate to exchange a planes inside squads:

someone didn't flying on bobmbers/ground attackers/fighter and can give ground attacker/bomber/fighter to another member of squad.

And i miss on a "Air Domination War" lines mechanics

i like that, another idea is to have type of planes assigned to a squadrons, and a pool of planes (no more individual) each squadron

• Upvote 1

Strike and Prancingkiller.... i think actually are some "software limitations"  to do it.    

I agree both option will be nice.

About 3 lives theme , not too much to add ...  lot of good ideas here... any comment does about reduce death penality for bombers and ground attackers like stuka, 110 or il2 ? Yes? no?
Ok, then there is one here.

1 hour ago, 666GIAP_Tumu said:

Strike and Prancingkiller.... i think actually are some "software limitations"  to do it.    

I agree both option will be nice.

About 3 lives theme , not too much to add ...  lot of good ideas here... any comment does about reduce death penality for bombers and ground attackers like stuka, 110 or il2 ? Yes? no?
Ok, then there is one here.

I say yes for reduced death penalty for the ground attackers. Good idea.

• Like 2

i think it would be better to have different lives for bomber, attacker and fighter (like 3,3,3), and maybe unlimited for transports?

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

So how many years has this debate over rules and player population gone back and forth now? Three or four? It never ends, the talking points are always the same with little resulting change. 

Little food for thought 

Edited by Geronimo553

Posted (edited)

I think at the end of the day, every server has and should have it’s own identity. 

You cant always appease the masses just for the sake of it. 

Edited by Tipsi
  • Upvote 2

The cargo ships in the Kuban maps representing the resupply for aircraft/pilot/tanks/soft column maximums seems a bit flawed.  Looks like they showed up in mission #457, at least for the red side - I can see why LG wanted to do something different, but it's not equitable to both sides.  If memory serves, the blue ships spawn north east of Zaporozhskaya in the Sea of Azov, and the red ships spawn south of Saratovskaya in the Black Sea.  The blue ships are fairly close to the blue corner airfields, but the red ships are pretty far from any  red airfields.  Other than the novelty of having ships, I don't see why the resupply depots aren't used on Kuban like the other maps, where the buildings are fairly close to both sides' friendly airfields that can defend them.

47 minutes ago, AKA_Relent said:

The cargo ships in the Kuban maps representing the resupply for aircraft/pilot/tanks/soft column maximums seems a bit flawed.  Looks like they showed up in mission #457, at least for the red side - I can see why LG wanted to do something different, but it's not equitable to both sides.  If memory serves, the blue ships spawn north east of Zaporozhskaya in the Sea of Azov, and the red ships spawn south of Saratovskaya in the Black Sea.  The blue ships are fairly close to the blue corner airfields, but the red ships are pretty far from any  red airfields.  Other than the novelty of having ships, I don't see why the resupply depots aren't used on Kuban like the other maps, where the buildings are fairly close to both sides' friendly airfields that can defend them.

I think we should destroy the blue submarines near the red ships. Otherwise the ships will be destroyed by them after the end of the mission

@ =AS=Ambroz

Respect for the great performance with the A-20 on the blue depot. It was a long and difficult fight. Too bad you couldn't bail out when your plane exploded. I hope you'll get more luck next time.

Greetings JG4_Eisbär

• Confused 2

guys one question, do light tanks of random AA count for statistic for winning conditions?

if yes, how many tanks does the german random AA group has? 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SV7_Vase said:

guys one question, do light tanks of random AA count for statistic for winning conditions?

if yes, how many tanks does the german random AA group has? 

The german random troop positions usually contain two PzKpfw 38t light tanks. They do count towards the overall tanks stats. 

Posted (edited)

anyone been getting disconnected a lot lately? Cannot complete a single sortie. 

I tried WOL and could play for hours with no issue.

Edited by =KG76=flyus747

I want to report to administrators an intentional disconection by ITAF_Germankill. I find very bad a pilot uses this tricks to keep a streak and 0 deaths. He attacked me near Stalingrad Shkolniy aerodrome and when he lose his advantage i catch him and when he sees i'm about to shoot he disconects. Punish this actions please.

This is the track: http://www.mediafire.com/file/4625eunkhg1ya48/ITAF_Germankill_Disco.rar/file
Logfile: https://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=89055&name=ITAF_Germankill

I know ITAF is very respected people but i never heard of this Germankiller before. Shame on you.

10 hours ago, 7.GShAP/Kamm said:

The german random troop positions usually contain two PzKpfw 38t light tanks. They do count towards the overall tanks stats. 

can any one explain me how it is possible that 19gvFab destroy with 3 players within 2h over 40 light tanks? i guess in random groups there are many SonderKfz which also counts as a light tank. 

can post screenshots if some one need it

Posted (edited)

2 light tanks per random sqaud. Armored vehicles do not count to tanks. 

Edited by =LG=Coldmanovich

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, =LG=Coldmanovich said:

2 light tanks per random sqaud. Armored vehicles do not count to tanks. 

thx Coldmanovic. but can u give me an answer pls, where did 19GvFab found over 40 light tanks in one round?

the 3rd guy leaved alredy.

btw, just saw a german random group, cant see any PzKpfw 38t....

3.jpg

Unbenannt.jpg

Unbenannt1.jpg

Edited by SV7_Vase

light armored is not only light tanks but every armored halftruck etc. But not every light armored counts as tank . Clear?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Airshow_Flyer said:

I want to report to administrators an intentional disconection by ITAF_Germankill. I find very bad a pilot uses this tricks to keep a streak and 0 deaths. He attacked me near Stalingrad Shkolniy aerodrome and when he lose his advantage i catch him and when he sees i'm about to shoot he disconects. Punish this actions please.

This is the track: http://www.mediafire.com/file/4625eunkhg1ya48/ITAF_Germankill_Disco.rar/file
Logfile: https://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=89055&name=ITAF_Germankill

I know ITAF is very respected people but i never heard of this Germankiller before. Shame on you.

Hi, seems that you are not the only one complaining about ITAF Germankill...  same complaing about ITAF germankill  occured when i was flying some days ago...   skv atochi was chasing him as he noticed he was on his back ready to shoot--- disco...     THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE GAMEKILLER ISSUE!!!     i hate this...  specially on TAW where you are 50 min without seein nobody and when you finally see one at the moment you are about to shoot , he disapears to finally apear in the stats as "big boy"

This has happen to me also several times , with other players , another of the things why i have lost fun on TAW....

and afterwards allthe discussion about ..."..my internet, my joystick..."  cmon   ..  specially on TAW you are 90% of the time alone  and when a enemy apears on your 6 your joystick, internet whatever...  GO PLAY playmobil or LEGO !

Edited by SPEEDWULF77
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, SPEEDWULF77 said:

Hi, seems that you are not the only one complaining about ITAF Germankill...  same complaing about ITAF germankill  occured when i was flying some days ago...   skv atochi was chasing him as he noticed he was on his back ready to shoot--- disco...     THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE GAMEKILLER ISSUE!!!     i hate this...  specially on TAW where you are 50 min without seein nobody and when you finally see one at the moment you are about to shoot , he disapears to finally apear in the stats as "big boy"

This has happen to me also several times , with other players , another of the things why i have lost fun on TAW....

and afterwards allthe discussion about ..."..my internet, my joystick..."  cmon   ..  specially on TAW you are 90% of the time alone  and when a enemy apears on your 6 your joystick, internet whatever...  GO PLAY playmobil or LEGO !

Germankill is our skilled and very correct pilot...he suffered about several disconnection ( like me) but not caused by his intention..I know many other suffered a lot of disco today

Edited by ITAF_Rani
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Disconnection is happening a lot. With everyone at home and using bandwidth, many networks and hubs are very overtaxed. 

I personally have connection issues almost every night. 

I almost wonder if the solution to a 0-damage disconnect would be to have the plane go into auto-level (if parameters allow) and hold for 10 seconds. This would give you that chance to quick put damage into a plane that really should have been hit and score a kill before the disco, or if the plane is relatively safe, it would likely be a non-issue.  

• Upvote 1

SV7_Vase

Seems u are surprise about this performance. 40 Tanks killed by 3 pilots in 2 hours.

2 are main factors.

Level skill of pilots Who attack tanks

Level skill of pilots who deffend tanks.

In this case 19Fab are really skilled pilots.

Me for example have a less level... and i can kill 6/8 tanks in a single sortie. In 2 sorties are 12/16 tanks, 3 pilots like me can kill easy 36/48 tanks...

The next question is... Who was defending this columns.?

:)

13 hours ago, 7.GShAP/Kamm said:

Now I understand better what's happening here...

3 minutes ago, 666GIAP_Tumu said:

Between 3-6AM european time... Probably noone

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 666GIAP_Tumu said:

SV7_Vase

Seems u are surprise about this performance. 40 Tanks killed by 3 pilots in 2 hours.

2 are main factors.

Level skill of pilots Who attack tanks

Level skill of pilots who deffend tanks.

In this case 19Fab are really skilled pilots.

Me for example have a less level... and i can kill 6/8 tanks in a single sortie. In 2 sorties are 12/16 tanks, 3 pilots like me can kill easy 36/48 tanks...

:)

seem Fab19 attak only random group because there are often only light tanks in their sortie statistic..u dont neet skill for that kind of job ;)

• Haha 1

Ok, i think understand you point.

You talk about Light tanks on random positions... no? In this case i think is more easy kill the tanks. I agree.

But they can because tanks are here and i imagine they dont find opposition.

One questions for Admins, Russian random position are armed with 2 lights tanks  too ?

33 minutes ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

...many networks and hubs are very overtaxed. 

Hate to tell you but, it's more than likely ISP throttling and the network is fine.  

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, 666GIAP_Tumu said:

Ok, i think understand you point.

You talk about Light tanks on random positions... no? In this case i think is more easy kill the tanks. I agree.

But they can because tanks are here and i imagine they dont find opposition.

One questions for Admins, Russian random position are armed with 2 lights tanks  too ?

As you already know, yes, 2 BT7 usually. And as you indirectly suggest, yes, blues could also take random position as primary targets .

Edited by E69_Soec

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, 69th_Mobile_BBQ said:

Hate to tell you but, it's more than likely ISP throttling and the network is fine.  

Well of course it is throttling, but it's throttling based on the network being over capacity.  

For example, I have a perfectly fine connection for the majority of the day, but as soon as 7-8pm hits. It slows to a crawl as everyone gets on their high priority traffic stuff like Netflix etc... (ISPs tend to favour big streaming services). 

I have had some success using a VPN to get around the traffic shaping but even this is often still slowed to a crawl and that tells me the network is just getting bogged down. I've never seen it this bad until the last month or so. 

Edited by SCG_Wulfe

exactly soec

Primary objective is the same than finally objective... i mean win map?

I think yes, in this case, dont exist concrete primary objective.... or if you want, your best way to win map is your primary objective.

3 minutes ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

Well of course it is throttling, but it's throttling based on the network being over capacity.  

I suppose in Canada that may be the case but, currently in the U.S. even with "net neutrality" defeated, we are currently running just over pre-throttling rates (even with some ISPs throttling) and everything is fine.  Maybe the network isn't as robust as us in the south but, I'm skeptical that the hardware in your area can't handle it.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, 69th_Mobile_BBQ said:

I suppose in Canada that may be the case but, currently in the U.S. even with "net neutrality" defeated, we are currently running just over pre-throttling rates (even with some ISPs throttling) and everything is fine.  Maybe the network isn't as robust as us in the south but, I'm skeptical that the hardware in your area can't handle it.

Well admittedly I'm a bit of a special case. I'm in a rural area running on point-to-point cell tower internet. It's always been a bit touch and go. 

Unfortunately, (fortunately?) I don't have the luxury of urban fiber networks with huge capacity. 

Edited by SCG_Wulfe

Hello all, I'd like to give another 2 cents on the topic of the "lives" system.

I recently picked up IL2 after many years, and the most fun I've had is on the TAW server. The progression, immersion and level of play makes every other server feel unimportant.

However, the "lives" system absolutely is preventing me from playing as much as I'd like. I like to play ground attack, and you often die in that role no matter how well you do it. Also, considering I've been flying solo, almost all fights end in 1vX against much more experienced opposition, with often predictable results.

Thus, the 20 hour time penalty not only removes players from the server, it also encourages overly passive play as dying is punished super hard. Many players don't get any victories during a mission simply because they don't want to risk it. Surely this is not the type of gameplay anyone enjoys. Moreover, the 20 hour time penalty feels massively unfair in the occasions you get oneshotted by AAA or a gunner.

I'd suggest either removing "lives" system completely, giving 1 extra life per mission, or making the time penalty, say 4 hours. Kamikaze must be prevented and the server should not become casual, but ruining someones entire day for playing the game just makes the server really unattractive to new players.