=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

17 minutes ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

It's simply that you have a much larger audience in European times. Losing some of them is no big deal, a good thing even.

There was already a much smaller pool to begin with during American times, drain it, even a little... and it becomes a useless puddle. 

Perhaps you are right

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Nope, i'm not saying numbers are just fine, i'm saying TAW is not dying just because less people joins at the times you fly. 

I don't contradict myself, numbers are what they usually are, maybe a bit less than sometime ago and this is due to many factors. We have to check them, and try to modify it if  that's the case. This has nothing to do with  your guys joining or staying in the server when there is little to no oposition. When you flew LW last campaign and on regular basis at nights i was among 3 o 4 guys facing 15 or more of you, i kept asking why you did that to the project, it was damaging...and you didn't care at all, you publicly said at forums that was boring to fly against few guys, but kept joining the server night after night...what for? 

31 minutes ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

When everyone is gone during your timezone I guess it will be the best possible outcome for you. 

We should find the way to attract more people at nights, i agree and told you this many times already, we all want that...but if it doesn't happen we still have a healthy server all day long. And if SCG decide to leave TAW just because there are not enough pilots at nights, it's a pitty, but then so be it...SCG is not "everyone", there is life after SCG dear Wulfe 😉

Edited by 666GIAP_Chimango

51 minutes ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

What was stated is that TAW during the American prime-time zones is dying. Not during European times. What you have posted discredits what you and =2ndSS=Lawyer1 have said about this being due to the "War being over".... as the numbers during European times are still good. Yet, it also has nothing to do with American Time Zone players. 

You act as though we are talking about this based on the experience of the last few weeks or even months. 

The truth is that we have been discussing and lamenting over this for the past year... I finally thought it was time to say something publicly to see if anything could be done. 

The truth is that the last few of us who fly American time zones are likely to leave if the population doesn't get better. It's boring as anything. At this point I mostly do it based on hope and trying to keep it alive. 

I only play because I like being slaughtered by Wulfe and Sinerox.  And I think it makes them feel good too.  Plus Wolf-1 whines a lot if I don't play cannon fodder for him while he does his bomber missions on TAW.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, SCG_Sinerox said:

Exactly, We actually want opposition so we don't roll the map over. 

50/50. We all want opposition, but if there is none, it's up to you to roll the map over. 

1 hour ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

It's simply that you have a much larger audience in European times. Losing some of them is no big deal, a good thing even.

There was already a much smaller pool to begin with during American times, drain it, even a little... and it becomes a useless puddle. 

This is true, but applying changes to attract a certain crowd that can be damaging for the more numerous one and the whole project itself is a no go IMO. Getting rid of regulations or 3 live rule, nope; tweaking them, yep.

PS. @SCG_Wulfe @SCG_Sinerox VVS has already won this TAW, so i might create a LW account and give you some opposition at nights 😉 Not the best moment for me maybe cause now VVS starts to get better planes, but will kick some of your butts for sure and you can have fun in the process 😀

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 666GIAP_Chimango said:

As we are having this discussion right now:

TAW - 77 players
WOL - 61 players

.CB - 20 players

So TAW, even when the canpaign is already decided has more players than other popular servers...but some say it's dying...

hc55jeG.jpg

b08spKD.jpg

3Es81yB.jpg

tbh this is a fresh map with new airplanes in hangar and 3 lives for everyone. Also first kuban map and equal airfields since it just started. TAW is certainly not dying in european times at least, but players dwindle a lot as time goes by, the most fun as during fresh rotations.

I would personally like to see 3 lives rule reworked so you can gain back lives over time/CM at least ( more than 1).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

I would personally like to see 3 lives rule reworked so you can gain back lives over time/CM at least ( more than 1).

Yes. Forcing people to do X amount of supply flights or X amount of successful consecutive sorties = +1 life or .5 life

Maybe after filling your personal hangar completely, the "+1CM NA"s can add to life replenishment. 

• Upvote 1

@=LG=Kathon, I’d like to know more about the exception to the 3 lives rule, based on team balance.  Seems this was incorporated in this current TAW round?

From what I’ve read/seen, if you run out of lives (I.e. < 0.0), you can still fly if the side you’re on is outnumbered.  Would be nice to get more clarity, such as:

- How much more does one side need to outnumber the other before this takes affect?

- Does this apply immediately in a mission, or after the first 15 minutes?  Or ??

- If you fly and land, then your side is no longer the smaller team, assuming you can’t fly again and the remainder of the wait time continues to be enforced?

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, AKA_Relent said:

How much more does one side need to outnumber the other before this takes affect?

Your team only has to be outnumber by at least 1 enemy.

Does this apply immediately in a mission, or after the first 15 minutes?

Capture.thumb.PNG.3c669ec83d5fcd13f6b49be16c905465.PNG<--- Click

- If you fly and land, then your side is no longer the smaller team, assuming you can’t fly again and the remainder of the wait time continues to be enforced?

In my experience, I was unable to takeoff again.

Edited by 7.GShAP/Kamm
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

Yes Meme man, i agree...and we are on the same page, check this post with suggestions i made December 25th 2019:

I'll paste the point were that was suggested, the ammount of lives recovered was used as an example, it can be raised.:

2. Would be good to have the chance to regain lives when you run out of them. The idea behind it when implemented was that people try to fly less arcadish possible, taking care of your virtual life and plane. Some tasks are more dangerous than others, and it can be a good motivation for someone who comes back from a 20hrs death penalty to have the chance to recover lives and not just have only  less than 1 back. For example, i would put the attention into how many CM in a row he does and by them he can recover X percentage of new lives. Example: let's say after you run out of lives and come back from the mentioned 20hs, from then on any successfull CM adds 0.1 to your live counter (except transports missions, which adds 0.05). This way you encourage people, instead of demotivating them.

BTW most were supporting that post, except as usually @=/Hospiz/=Metalenko . Metallhead my friend you flew for the mighty VVS! Aren't you happy that we won this TAW? 😁

2 hours ago, SCG_Sinerox said:

image.thumb.png.565ac8540486b9b539f2a8e9734b75f8.png

All the guys from NA so quickly lost their three lives on the new map in one day?

Or do they not fly on the TAW server for some other reason?

• Upvote 1

I hate to say this, but if TAW participation is down, then maybe the rules need to be softened a bit, at least temporarily. Even if we get rid of the lives system or make it less punishing, TAW will stillremain the most hardcore server available, so it’s not likely the hardcore players will migrate somewhere else. Hopefully we’ll get more inexperienced players trying it out and getting better and once the server population is better in Europe and North America the admins can try reintroducing more rules again. 

1 hour ago, WokeUpDead said:

Even if we get rid of the lives system or make it less punishing

On the new map, everyone has three whole lives. Why don't these people fly on the server anyway? I think one of the reasons is a big imbalance. Whatever side the SCG will play for, there will always be a time bias. If they were divided into 15 people on each side, for example, they would always have someone to fly against. Easing the rules may attract newcomers, but it won't change the balance of power. Until a force as organized and powerful as they are appears against the SCG, the problem of imbalance will persist. And this will affect the entire server. The guys from Europe will fight fiercely 42 vs 42. And then they will watch with bitterness as the guys from NA take the map again without resistance.

I Think there is need some correction on Cuban map with AF, maybe LG can add some AF to both sides on this map? 2 for each side ?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, -=RedS=-Str1ke said:

I Think there is need some correction on Cuban map with AF, maybe LG can add some AF to both sides on this map? 2 for each side ?

Kuban is traditionally a blue map. The whole history of TAW shows this. The Reds just need to focus on winning other maps, and calmly lose the Kuban. Which is basically what was done in this campaign.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, -=RedS=-Str1ke said:

The problem is known. Unfortunately, its solution is not possible because on a huge stretch of land between the squares: 0630, 0541, 1330, 1338 (except 1236, which is too close to Maikop) there are no airfields.

9 hours ago, 666GIAP_Chimango said:

BTW most were supporting that post, except as usually @=/Hospiz/=Metalenko . Metallhead my friend you flew for the mighty VVS! Aren't you happy that we won this TAW? 😁

I am glad we won. My reaction wasn't about victory. It was about that stupid soviet propaganda poster.
Imagine yourself a situation: LW won, and someone posts a banner with Wehrmacht soldiers marching under nazi flag, with huge callout 'SIEG!', or better 'SIEG HEIL!' Nothing offensive right? Sieg means just victory, just a victory celebration.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, =L/R=Rafcio said:

The problem is known. Unfortunately, its solution is not possible because on a huge stretch of land between the squares: 0630, 0541, 1330, 1338 (except 1236, which is too close to Maikop) there are no airfields.

Giving reds one more coastal airfield in 1929 "Agoy" is an idea. If russian lose gelendzhik they lose access to the entire coastline and south of the map. Also adding ports and ships as objective will switch focus more to the coast and might make it more balanced and fun! And there are a lot more af east of map near the coastline to allow a shift in focus. Kuban could be a breath of fresh air with new types of objectives etc..

• Upvote 3

1 час назад, =L/R=Rafcio сказал:

May be then move main depots of red side to the west? Map of action will be smaller like on Moscow and Stalingrad maps... and it wiil be mor really to create balanced map.

Posted (edited)

Pretty sure this has been brought up before, but what about allowing pilots to do supply runs even though they are on cooldown from losing their

3 lives?

Edited by ACG_Vietkong
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe the main reason for lack of NA players is just that they want to fly NA planes? which are basically new in-game? just guessing.

I wouldn't soften the rules. Right now TAW is the server that offers the most realistic experience only because life matters. If rules are softened, this sever will become just another WOL, which imho is too casual. I prefer 1 weaker TAW + 1 WOL than 2 WOLs.

It's fine to include rules like the 0.1live per CM, but I don't think it will favor anyone but the winning team. The live's rule only applies for the team with a majority of players, so right now it also balances the game, and that, imo, is perfect. It has been clear in this edition how imbalance at nights can impact the result of the campaign (blues weren't able to revert during the day, the night massacre).

TAW offers the best simulation experience. I don't care if there are less players than in other servers if my time here matters.

Edited by E69_Soec
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, E69_Soec said:

I wouldn't soften the rules. Right now TAW is the server that offers the most realistic experience only because life matters. If rules are softened, this sever will become just another WOL, which imho is too casual. I prefer 1 weaker TAW + 1 WOL than 2 WOLs.

Were you playing taw before the 3 lives rules? This is quite the exaggeration. TAW without the 3 lives rules was enjoyable and people were not staying in plane on fire ( like you like 'em) or chasing you to base like morons, It did happen but it was rare. As it most likely happened during the war. I personally find this rule way too limiting for the average player, especially if he is a ground attack pilot.

If you were to do statistics at how much this rule prevents suicide attacks compared to just the plane-set limitation, and how this rule is preventing squads and novice players to fly on this server imo it would not look good for the 3 life rules, (and yes it's good to have novice players here, if realism is what you want. I started taw I could not find my way back if I did not keep close to my teamates). I remember big squads from these days not playing anymore on here. The plus side is I don't have to try to get a place on the server for 20 minutes because server is full on weekdays.

Do I think it should be removed? Maybe. Do I think it needs a rework? Certainly.

15 minutes ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

Were you playing taw before the 3 lives rules? This is quite the exaggeration. TAW without the 3 lives rules was enjoyable and people were not staying in plane on fire ( like you like 'em) or chasing you to base like morons, It did happen but it was rare. As it most likely happened during the war. I personally find this rule way too limiting for the average player, especially if he is a ground attack pilot.

Currently, the three-life rule prevents the side with the largest number of pilots from becoming even larger. This rule doesn't do anything else right now. I don't think that increasing the difference in the number of pilots in a particular mission is exactly what will make the server better.

2 minutes ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

Currently, the three-life rule prevents the side with the largest number of pilots from becoming even larger. This rule doesn't do anything else right now. I don't think that increasing the difference in the number of pilots in a particular mission is exactly what will make the server better.

It is limited by the number of pilots and planes 

Posted (edited)

Guys the whole point i think is to be able to regain (slowly?) lives somehow with good missions, let's focus on that and brainstorm ideas that devs can choose from to be implemented. Some people dont like to fly when they are on their last life, cause if you die you go on cooldown and that's the end of the evening/daily session, that's it, we don't need to turn around that more.

Edited by Prancingkiller

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

It is limited by the number of pilots and planes 

For example, 10 minutes after the start of the mission, there are 10 red and 4 blue players on the server. Will it be better if the Reds become 15, when they are joined by those who have run out of lives? Under these rules, in this example, players who have lost their lives can only join the blue ones. The three-life rule allows you to balance the sides. The unevenness of the sides is what kills the gameplay much more than anything else.

14 minutes ago, Prancingkiller said:

Some people dont like to fly when they are on their last life, cause if you die you go on cooldown and that's the end of the evening/daily session, that's it, we don't need to turn around that more.

I will not fly on this server and I will go to another place because I have one life left and if I am killed I will not be able to fly on this server and I will have to go to another place. Excellent solution ))

Edited by =2ndSS=Lawyer1
  • Like 2

I feel like this eternal search for balance is counter productive for this server. Skies were not always 50/50 and it's ok. And if you want to limit players/squad it should be done during inscription. As a fighter I rather fly when my side is at a disadvantage, more targets. As a ground attacker it's the opposite.

Limitation in balance are already enough with airfields closed and not being able to take off, if the 3 lives rules is for balance, its redundant and counter productive to the server limiting potential players and big squads who rather fly with all their members (some do this really well such as 19fab and 72ag, but it's not the case for others).

8 minutes ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

I feel like this eternal search for balance is counter productive for this server. Skies were not always 50/50 and it's ok. And if you want to limit players/squad it should be done during inscription. As a fighter I rather fly when my side is at a disadvantage, more targets. As a ground attacker it's the opposite.

I think that you will encounter an empty server much sooner if the balance is not saved by the rules. On the server, as a result, there will be some blue or red ones.

3 minutes ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

I feel like this eternal search for balance is counter productive for this server.

I think is totally the opposite, unless we miss those 60v20 server numbers in favour of LW always stacking the damned server. The 3 lives rule was not for balance as has been explained, it was to avoid suicidal flying, and exploits like what xj*** did. Also helped players rotation.

This TAW was perfectly balanced regarding planesets and numbers; similar numbers to blue and red all day; bigger quorum for LW in the European mornings, bigger for VVS in the American contitent at night times...what made the difference was the experience of the squads/pilots, being more the ones flying for the red side this time.

• Upvote 1

The balanced is already saved by 2 rules, stop making it even more complicated and niche...

And taw victories are determined by two  main things I have noticed. What team the majority of good ground attacking squad are in, and the team that flies the server during european night. We have lost last map this way. ( 3 airfields lost and 1 more closed overnight)

And as I stated the 3 lives rules is doing more harm than good, very little people would follow you home like madmen before, and it did happen irl. And as for xjammer and his exploits there are other alternatives that have already been suggested.

I don't see how improving this rule so people can regenerate more lives and get to fly more is such an issue for you.

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2020 at 7:47 AM, SCG_Wulfe said:

You’re right, this is exactly why this rule was created. It worked to stop this behaviour, but honestly I’d rather have some of this unfortunate  behaviour happen and a full server than what we have now during the evening.

Hi Wulfe,

I must admit, I haven't really played TAW for a long time as the server numbers are lower than Berloga in my time zone and as such this is why I will not play here. The recent 3 life rule has had little to do with me not playing, although, only having 3 lives in a PC game when I just want to have a laugh isn't that appealing and I would sooner play Berloga.

I use to enjoy this server as I always thought things were fairly evenly balanced. However, it became very evident that whenever reds started to lose, a few players were always very vocal about what needed to be changed to correct things to ensure the required outcome was met for them.

Indeed, perhaps those same players are now happy to gloat to others how victorious the reds are or to dish out their views, yet are very quick to complain like children when things do not go their way.

That said I'm hopeful that TAW will return to its former glory and will not let a few players ruin things for the majority as currently in my time zone other servers are now more popular. If the likes of SCG are walking away, then the writing is on the wall and that is unfortunate as it will be the beginning of the end for TAW and I'm sure those so called TAW red supporters will just move  to another server where the numbers are and will not bat an eye to what they have caused. 

However, hopefully I might be proven wrong!

Regards

Edited by Haza
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

The balanced is already saved by 2 rules, stop making it even more complicated and niche...

And taw victories are determined by two  main things I have noticed. What team the majority of good ground attacking squad are in, and the team that flies the server during european night. We have lost last map this way. ( 3 airfields lost and 1 more closed overnight)

And as I stated the 3 lives rules is doing more harm than good, very little people would follow you home like madmen before, and it did happen irl. And as for xjammer and his exploits there are other alternatives that have already been suggested.

I don't see how improving this rule so people can regenerate more lives and get to fly more is such an issue for you.

I do not agree with your conclusions, but let the administration decide what is best for their server.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Haza said:

I use to enjoy this server as I always thought things were fairly evenly balanced.

You can view statistics for the last 28 days and find out what is actually perfectly balanced

pilots_taw_28d.png

It's like any team sport. If the number of teams is equal, the one that plays better wins. It's fair and square.

The Reds have more experienced players and squads with a high level of skill on their side in this campaign. In the next campaign, some of them will change sides and the situation will change.

7 minutes ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

You can view statistics for the last 28 days and find out what is actually perfectly balanced

pilots_taw_28d.png

Lawyer,

You can produce all the stats you want until the cows come home mate. The fact remains, when I log on, the TAW server isn't as popular as you might think. 

This is just a game and I would sooner spend 15 mins in a busy server than 1.5 hrs in an empty server.

As you acknowledge, this is a game and I will migrate to the most popular server. 

Therefore as you have already alluded to, perhaps it is up to the admin to ensure TAW stays relevant, as I'm sure with BoN on the horizon, there will be other servers competing for numbers.

Regards

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Haza said:

Lawyer,

You can produce all the stats you want until the cows come home mate. The fact remains, when I log on, the TAW server isn't as popular as you might think. 

This is just a game and I would sooner spend 15 mins in a busy server than 1.5 hrs in an empty server.

As you acknowledge, this is a game and I will migrate to the most popular server. 

Therefore as you have already alluded to, perhaps it is up to the admin to ensure TAW stays relevant, as I'm sure with BoN on the horizon, there will be other servers competing for numbers.

Regards

You said about the balance that was before, I just gave you the figures that this campaign has one of the best balances between the sides. The red team won fairly in this campaign, because stronger players played for it. But it seems to cause you bitterness or you think it is unfair. That's how I understood your message. Of course, each of us chooses the server that he likes best. I don't like flying for fun, so I choose TAW, even if there are more players on WoL and CB. And this is normal when we go where we are interested.

Edited by =2ndSS=Lawyer1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, =/Hospiz/=Metalenko said:

and I fly mostly in rather crowded conditions unlike you. Maybe during nighttime flying VVS is super hard skill that only few individuals can master? I don't know.
My current opinion? When it comes to attackers and bombers, it's still easier to fly VVS. Yep, after last patch bombing became harder due to less bomb damage, but it became harder for LW as well. 

Happily i have time to fly at all hours, and until map #5 most of my hours -i'm among the 7 guys with more flightime at TAW- were during european peak times 😉 And as a matter of fact for me it is much harder to fly at nightime, cause there i fly alone, during the day i fly with my team. Flying alone requires a lot more concentration, one mistake and you get KIA...specially in a VVS fighter.

Flying VVS attackers and bombers is easier? Then why you died a proportional roughly 400% more than when you flew Ju88s in big quorum advantage, with little VVS fighter opposition? 

Last TAW (LW)=> 147 hours6 deaths (1 death every 25 hours)
Current (VVS)= 26 hours4 deaths (1 death every 6 hours)

That's 4x times more deaths; so it seems is not so much easy flying VVS when you have equal conditions...imagine what is lke when you have a huge difference in serve rnumbers favouring LW map after map...i can't believe some people feels nostalgic about those unbalanced, one sided fun times. Pathetic. So no, is not easy...you know what was easy for you? This:

MjKgXhm.png

And is not only me, or the screenshot, or others saying it...check what Siddy replied to your nonesense bragging, Siddy, a guy who usually is very spot on regarding his observations about TAW movements and situations...cause even if you did AF raids escorted by a legion of fighters, you were found very often doing solo undisturbed runs for depots...enlarging stats, nothing else:

Siddy Quote:

"You (Metalhead) literally fly nothing but JU-88 milk runs to depot. Ill fly 0 death career as supply general next taw just to laugh at you.  VVS fly under manned, even this TAW there was 20-30% less VVS participation and it got worse as it went on. Not to mention the Russian holidays debacle. VVS has no luxury to ignore tanks and go for depots, as our pilots are needed everywhere. "

Let's never go back to those server braking, fun for one sided only type of population.

[...]

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

You said about the balance that was before, I just gave you the figures that this campaign has one of the best balances between the parties. The red team won fairly in this campaign, because stronger players played for it. But it seems to cause you bitterness or you think it is unfair. That's how I understood your message. Of course, each of us chooses the server that he likes best. I don't like flying for fun, so I choose TAW, even if there are more players on WoL and CB. And this is normal when we go where we are interested.

Of course you have to go and play where you want to. I'm not at all bitter, however, playing a game for me when there is little opposition has nothing to do with being bitter, for me it is just a game. That said, I guess you must be the better man as I play to be entertained or challenged as that is for me the fun part. When it becomes boring, I will leave, as it is a game and not a real life struggle.

However, when TAW is not running where do you go?

Regards

Edited by Haza
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

Are you referring to me? If this is the case then please read carefully my posts, there must be like 3 or 4 of them when i say i'd agree to tweak that rule. 

10 minutes ago, Haza said:

However, when TAW is not running where do you go?

First I take a break and rest from the Il-2, and then I train with my squad and prepare for the next campaign on TAW.

I don't see the point in turning TAW into a kind of WoL when the WoL is already working fine.

• Upvote 2