=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

On 9/22/2019 at 9:15 PM, ShamrockOneFive said:

La última campaña de Tactical Air War ha terminado. Esta fue la primera vez que participé y pensé en escribir un artículo sobre la experiencia y con algunos antecedentes sobre TAW. ¡Echale un vistazo!

https://stormbirds.blog/2019/09/22/looking-back-on-tactical-air-wars-latest-campaign/

a-20b-taw-under-heavy-attack.jpg

Annoyed to understand TAW 
as it is, for what was created, a team campaign, 
not individualism, I think we are asking a little bit north, where the campaign is more personal statistics, 
fighting for the objectives and logical defense of them Thanks for your article
Edited by =gRiJ=ToReRo

Do you plan adding the "Top 5 transport pilots" and "Top 5 transport squads" leaderboard to the stat page, right next to the Top 5 fighters, bombers and tank killers?

Connecting the medals with transport missions would be also nice - the first Iron cross would be for example for 15 supply missions or something like that.

Resupplying damaged airfields is maybe more important for the result of the campaign than collecting air kills at 7k while not helping your ground attackers at all:salute:

Edited by Ropalcz
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Ropalcz said:

Do you plan adding the "Top 5 transport pilots" and "Top 5 transport squads" leaderboard to the stat page, right next to the Top 5 fighters, bombers and tank killers?

Connecting the medals with transport missions would be also nice - the first Iron cross would be for example for 15 supply missions or something like that.

Resupplying damaged airfields is maybe more important for the result of the campaign than collecting air kills at 7k while not helping your ground attackers at all:salute:

That's a good idea!

Dear administration. Pz.J.St./JG51 is interested in the opportunity to increase the number of Hs-129 aircraft from one unit to two?

thanks
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Ropalcz said:

Perhaps adding paradrops to the score as well

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SCG_Faerber said:

Perhaps adding paradrops to the score as well

Red pilots will not be easy to be in this ranking))

2 minutes ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

Red pilots will not be easy to be in this ranking))

Ranks could be one sided only. TOP 5 Axis and TOP 5 Allies. Easy soultion.

• Upvote 1

Awards for transport missions is a way to incentivate transport missions.. is the power of medals. But i think is a error confuse, important task with merit tasks. For example is very important for your health something like breath... but is a thing you can do , inclusively if u are inconcient. I mean, breath is vital but is easy on normal conditions. 

For paratroopers, i think have more sense . The counterpart can be medals for recon missions.. anyway ... the exlusive blue option  for capture via paratroopers, is one of the most unfair options of  TAW.  For me , maybe each team can manage better or worst planes , maybe each team have better or worst pilots, but is needed both sides have same options. but this is another debate

Edited by 666GIAP_Tumu
  • Upvote 4

Thank you for another great campaign.

If we go again before boddenplatte is out I only have one request.

Please consider a mechanic for the U2vs aircraft. Currently it has no place expect for the lolz.

Photo recon sites for some bonus or simulating dropping a spy/sapper to mimic paratroop mechanic would be awesome!

Thank you to the people running TAW keeping it going :) 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, 666GIAP_Tumu said:

For paratroopers, i think have more sense . The counterpart can be medals for recon missions.. anyway ... the exlusive blue option  for capture via paratroopers, is one of the most unfair options of  TAW.  For me , maybe each team can manage better or worst planes , maybe each team have better or worst pilots, but is needed both sides have same options. but this is another debate

In the same way that paratrooper capture zones pop up occasionally, maybe there would be a way for "Partizan" capture zones to pop up occasionally, to simulate soviet partisan troops operating behind the lines. A partisan troop position spawns in these zones and it has to be defended by the soviets, or supplied by air, or something like that, and if that happens they can damage or destroy the airfield. It would be a similar capability but still operate a little differently for 'flavor'. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

In the same way that paratrooper capture zones pop up occasionally, maybe there would be a way for "Partizan" capture zones to pop up occasionally, to simulate soviet partisan troops operating behind the lines. A partisan troop position spawns in these zones and it has to be defended by the soviets, or supplied by air, or something like that, and if that happens they can damage or destroy the airfield. It would be a similar capability but still operate a little differently for 'flavor'. 

I think Its a great idea.

And both mechanics have many things on common... partizan zone is unknow , is a pop up occasionally option, number of attemps is limited by map , both misions use slow planes with lonly gunner....and finally both teams have same options with similar risk.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Could be a good way to make the PO-2 more valuable, partizan supply points could be in undisclosed portions of the map not too deep into enemy territory and on a big field (an abandoned field airfield could do the trick), the PO-2 could land there and take off again to simulate dropping weapons/orders and delivering messages back to the HQ, if done successfuly a few times, it could diminish the strength of german convoys on the next round. That would be interesting at least until we have a C-47 and/or proper recon missions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

This sort of thing was requested before (Po-2/U-2 activity similar to what the Ju-52 has with paratroops), so hopefully =LG= have given it some thought by now and will include something next round :).

Something along the lines of having a Po-2/U-2 carry bombs and land them (disarmed is best) and drop them after landing in a landing zone similar to the paratrooper drop zones.  The bombs could emulate storage containers carrying weapons/ammo/food/medicine for partisan troops that are near an enemy base.

Thus the Russian side could capture a damaged German airbase the same way the German side could capture a damaged Russian base (e.g. after say 6-8 Po-2/U-2’s have landed and dropped off supplies.

The only issue is whether the Po-2/U-2 can successfully land and take off from a non-airfield/airstrip stretch of land.  Maybe it’s easier if the landing zone can always include a road, or in the winter a stretch of frozen river :).

• Upvote 1

On 9/18/2019 at 10:36 AM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

From tomorrow on I'll have another 5 weeks of thorough steady IL-2 time. Guess my RL schedule missed TAW by one day. 😑

I bet by the time I'm neck deep at work again (in 5 weeks) the next campaign of TAW will start again. It has been like that for half a year now.. can you guys just change that intervall? Put the next up on Sunday please! 😂

Sounds good to me

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, AKA_Relent said:

This sort of thing was requested before (Po-2/U-2 activity similar to what the Ju-52 has with paratroops), so hopefully =LG= have given it some thought by now and will include something next round :).

Something along the lines of having a Po-2/U-2 carry bombs and land them (disarmed is best) and drop them after landing in a landing zone similar to the paratrooper drop zones.  The bombs could emulate storage containers carrying weapons/ammo/food/medicine for partisan troops that are near an enemy base.

Thus the Russian side could capture a damaged German airbase the same way the German side could capture a damaged Russian base (e.g. after say 6-8 Po-2/U-2’s have landed and dropped off supplies.

The only issue is whether the Po-2/U-2 can successfully land and take off from a non-airfield/airstrip stretch of land.  Maybe it’s easier if the landing zone can always include a road, or in the winter a stretch of frozen river :).

If this was implemented it would probably push me to buy the U-2.

2 hours ago, 666GIAP_Necathor said:

Sounds good to me

Sunday is around the corner. We expect no less than greatness.

On 9/23/2019 at 8:35 PM, SCGLimboski said:

There is absolutely no misunderstanding of your point.  I am not confusing (1) the often low hit probability or bomb drop accuracy  in real life with (2) the effectiveness of high explosive blast damage on a tank.  We specifically disagree on the effectiveness of  high explosive blast damage.  I'm just going to quote Finker on this issue below which I'm sure you will disagree with.  If you which to convince me that blast damage was more effective then I need to see some hard data and not merely anecdotal accounts from your friends.

-------

Tanks are extremely resilient to blast damage and are very hard to kill through an indirect hit with HE weapons, even heavy bombs. It seems illogical, that a tank and its crew would survive the blast from a 500kg bomb at a distance of just 10m or so, but it really will often do exactly that. The human body is surprisingly resistant to shockwaves like those produced by an explosion. The greatest threat comes in the form of shrapnel or getting trapped in a collapsed building (houses on the other hand are lousy at surviving a blast). Provided he isn't hit by shrapnel or debris a person can survive a blast that will completely flatten a wooden building and escape with a pair of ruptured eardrums.  A human inside a tank is completely protected from shrapnel and from most of the shockwave as well. And the tank itself is not easily damaged by high explosive either, unless it's a direct hit (which can cause spalling that can damage vital systems and kill crew)

Don't believe me? Take a look at this: http://www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=ADA329188 .It's a report done by the Army Research Lab in 1997 about the lethality of HE-bombs. It's an interesting read by itself, but the thing you want to look are the charts on p. 31 and 32. It's "kill probability" charts depicting the probability of a vehicle being "killed" (either disabled or crew incapacitated) by different types of HE weapons, the heaviest being a 1000lbs air dropped bomb.  The last of the charts show the effect of the HE blast on a tank, and you'll notice, that even for the 1000lbs bomb the "kill probability" drops to zero at a distance of just 18 feet (just under 6m), meaning that if a 1000lbs bomb goes off just 6m from a tank, there is essentially NO chance of killing the crew or disabling the tank (though the crew will probably be deafened)

Ok, so this report is from 1997, surely a tank from '97 is way tougher than a tank from '42? Sure, but take a look at the chart above: That's the kill probability of the same bombs against a soft target, a truck. Here the kill probability of the 1000lbs bomb falls to zero at just 47 feet distance (around 15m). Miss a soft target like a truck by just 15m with a 1000lbs HE bomb, and there is pretty much no chance of disabling it. It's safe to assume, that the survivability of a WW2 tank lies somewhere between a 1997 tank and a truck, probably closer to the first. That means that if you miss a T-34 with a 500kg bomb by something like 10m, there is pretty much no chance at all to kill it.

Seems crazy, right? I thought so too, but apparently HE weapons are just not that good at killing tanks or even unarmoured troops. They are however great at getting buildings to collapse.

Well, after hours and hours of reading, and a big argument with my tank commander "in law" I must agree in most of what you said.

It seems that an unrivetted armoured vehicle (welded)  is extremely resilient to explosive blasts, I must say I'm very, very surprised by that and I've been wrong for a long time.

He said that another subject would be falling into the crater depending of the type of soil the tank is, but the point is that you better get that blast within 3 feet of your target or you might not be able to stop the damn rolling thing.

There would be another whole discussion about "in war" weld and steel quality of ww2 but for a game, that's pretty much, drop it on top or under.

Reading so much and actually watching videos I just also learned that a near miss to a ship is way more dangerous than getting (not always but most of the time) a direct hit.

Thanks mate for the info!

16 minutes ago, Ala13_elchinodecai said:

Reading so much and actually watching videos I just also learned that a near miss to a ship is way more dangerous than getting (not always but most of the time) a direct hit.

Yeah, cavitation is a b****. Also, hitting the ship directly might not damage the hull but only the superstructure, whereas a miss can cause a hull breach and sink the ship.

• Like 1

I thought Kami was good until I found out he used gun pods... now need to destroy him... YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Letka_13/Kami- said:

Gentlemen, 

What a great vid Kami.  Really good work:drinks:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SCG_Sinerox said:

I thought Kami was good until I found out he used gun pods... now need to destroy him... YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!

I will rub this upon your nose whenever possible from now on

Hello guys,

thanks for your regular donations. without your donations and our Kathon, it would not be what it is today

23434.PNG.3aa60bb7947adf535e7a06b148859c10.PNG

23.thumb.PNG.bc06f13588b9dc6b80450343ff8e9d16.PNG

Edited by StG2_Raven_VR
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, -332FG-Hank_DG said:

Are there plans for a seperate TAW with bodenplatte?

Why do we need a separate Bodenplatte?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

Why do we need a separate Bodenplatte?

I'm with Lawyer. Why should we have it a separate campaign?

1 hour ago, -[HRAF]BubiHUN said:

I'm with Lawyer. Why should we have it a separate campaign?

I believe it is because a lot of the players who will be migrating to the new planes are the famous so-called LW-only guys ... You know ... The same ones who cannot bear to pilot VVS planes and stick to LW campaign in and campaign out. Making a seperate TAW with Bodenplatte only planes would give this population of players a way to play US/RAF planes without having to stick to VVS planes at the beginning of TAW.

• Upvote 6

Any chance we could get a map 1 or "Prelude to TAW" with the WW1 planes and map.:)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, SCG_Riksen said:

I believe it is because a lot of the players who will be migrating to the new planes are the famous so-called LW-only guys ... You know ... The same ones who cannot bear to pilot VVS planes and stick to LW campaign in and campaign out. Making a seperate TAW with Bodenplatte only planes would give this population of players a way to play US/RAF planes without having to stick to VVS planes at the beginning of TAW.

So the people who are so inflexible as to fly for one team no matter the context and no matter balance can have things exactly the way they want it? Why should they be coddled? I say, if they want to play for one side they should have to play for that side.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, -332FG-Garven said:

Any chance we could get a map 1 or "Prelude to TAW" with the WW1 planes and map.:)

I really like this idea.

53 minutes ago, /SF/Disarray said:

So the people who are so inflexible as to fly for one team no matter the context and no matter balance can have things exactly the way they want it?

Unfortunately that is the way it has been in this community.

54 minutes ago, /SF/Disarray said:

Why should they be coddled?

They shouldn't but I'm afraid that is what most server admins do and TAW is no different. 

55 minutes ago, /SF/Disarray said:

I say, if they want to play for one side they should have to play for that side.

I agree but it is not me who you should try to convince.

I think that it is not necessary to divide TAW into the Eastern Front and the Western. In my opinion, Bodenplatte should be the final stage of the entire campaign.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

I think that it is not necessary to divide TAW into the Eastern Front and the Western. In my opinion, Bodenplatte should be the final stage of the entire campaign.

At least to start with, I think this is the best idea.

It's up to Kathon and the rest of LG to determine whether or no they want to incorporate Bodenplatte and American planes, obviously.  Clearly, the main focus of TAW has been on the Eastern front war  and having a semi-historical plane set (i.e., only planes that the Soviets actually flew in decent numbers).  Having one to three maps on Bodenplatte map at the very end of the campaign would be very fun clearly but it may go against the main theme  and vision LG has for TAW.

It seems very interesting for me to start a campaign on outdated aircraft (even on WW I)  and gradually progress to more modern ones.

5 hours ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

It seems very interesting for me to start a campaign on outdated aircraft (even on WW I)  and gradually progress to more modern ones.

I like this idea