=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

1 hour ago, SCG_Riksen said:

You are correct. It can but not necessarily the admins fault. The solution will always rest with the players themselves. If you are not willing to play for the other team and every single campaign you choose to play for the outnumbering side, I'm sorry to say but you are the issue. The TAW admins are trying their best to accomodate everyone and still make it a fair campaign and perhaps there is more that can be done like Redkestrel suggested but, in the end, the solution rests within the player base we have.

Eh, I'm not sure there is actually anything more that can be done by the admins or rules to deal with it without causing more problems. You can't force people to fly when outnumbered, and its pretty clear  that many people simply will not swap sides no matter how egregious the imbalance, which makes sense because the whole point of TAW is the war itself. Even if you get a precisely balanced number of people registered for each side, there's no way to ensure you don't get local fluctuations in active players.

I think the admins have done the best they can with the life system, the cap on joining, and the airfield closing, and tweaking to that going forward can help but it'll never be perfect. Some of the more extreme proposals here would I think do more harm than good. But people flying with 2:1 advantages grumbling about other people not showing up is just bordering on the absurd.

18 minutes ago, =BLW=Tales said:

If reds continue to think like that: I will not fly cause outnumbered they will continue outnumbered. Have you heard about local superiority instead superiority itself. Call your friends, fly together, go to same place, attack together and get out. One advantage of taw is no icon. So Blue to get there will take time to locate themselves, gather and navigate there. Instead of that on wol someone writes "they are xyze". All press O, see icon, add power and reach there in no time, degenarating on huge furball.

Five person at same place can do better than a bunch of spread on the map.

Icons on give less margin to work local superiority concept.

Icons on give less margin to work local superiority concept. 

I would fly even If outnumbered If with 3 ir more pack. Im on vacation but i cant findo mates at EU timezone. Maybe i should join an EU group for a period. You guys should come out from your cave for public TS hehehe

Reds do all these things. That's how we won the first two maps. There's only so much you can do against an enemy that outnumbers you and is better equipped.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Im not acctualy complaining about people not showing up. I known people get busy, have family etc however strict quorum rules should kill the server on US timezone. Many mates are jumping on WoL becauss they cant play on TAW or are at nth position to take off. Rules about life, incentives to fly correctly with táctica ok. Its difficult to convice people to give a try and when they enter cant fly. It is unpleasant.

Edited by =BLW=Tales
Correction

@BLW=Tales  Too many big squadrons are playing German during North American evenings....can you guys fly Soviet?  Problemed solved if you can.

46 minutes ago, SCG_Limbo said:

@BLW=Tales  Too many big squadrons are playing German during North American evenings....can you guys fly Soviet?  Problemed solved if you can.

I will try to invite ABR: https://jambockvirtual.webnode.com/alianca-abr/

They have 20 pilots, i guess more than 10 are active. They fly RED. I guess you should invite them and other too.

• Upvote 1

Regarding a minimum quorum, what I would like to see is that there be a minimum number of players on the outnumbered side, before the outnumbering side can capture territory.

Thus, if for example, one side had an average of 20 players and the other had an average of less than 5 (or whatever the minimum number chosen  is) for a given 2 hour mission, that the side with the higher number could not capture territory.  At best they can destroy all of the defenses for the given town, and increase the damage to the airfield, but the territory would still be owned by the outnumbered side at the end of that mission.

This way, the hugely outnumbering side could not steamroll the hugely outnumbered side until some minimum number of players joined that side.  Something to consider...

1 hour ago, =BLW=Tales said:

I AM saying i would fly outnumbered If i find mates att EU time. I understand general numbers equal in servers but even equal numbers i would manage to have local superiority, energy advantage, strike and run, fight on my own terms. War is not to be fair is about tactical and strategy. If you are outnumbered manage a plan to counter. Two or three maps before we were being cornered but we took off decide to vanish the last red tanks. (We were without tanks). We lost but we tried. TAW is amazing server since they do not have unrealistic features that turns strategy and tactical decisions in vain.

Restrictions should be imposed when there are already 5 players on the server from one side. That would be fair. If you just want to fly, go for the other side. If you want to win the war, you win because you're better, not because you're bigger

Otherwise you'll just fly alone.  It's probably more interesting for you

Posted (edited)

Here is an example for first/start mission in Cuban and how much it's biased towards Blue team.

If Germans succeed taking out Akhturskaya, Gelendzhik gets cut off of the rest of the Soviet's resources so basically it's like the beginning of the end for Reds.

If Soviets succeed taking out Timashevskaya, Germans are still good to continue as all their AFs are still well within their support lines.

Add to it the lack of red pilot numbers at the beginning of the map to repel Germans attack and you can figure out how bad is the logic to balance the initial start of this map.

I feel like this map is for reds who like and enjoy pain )))

map_nr381.jpg

Edited by 72AG_Obi
  • Upvote 3

You wrong. Because you fail to destroy Blue Tanks in front of Akhirskaya. After that Red Team fail to Defend the Airfield on Gelendzhik. 

The Blue Teamplay was today excellent. 

We fly and coordinate today with many Squads.

Pls do not scream always if u lose a Map... Blue Side have many Problems too. Some times we lose and win... It's a Game.

My Option is only Fly! And not talk. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
22 минуты назад, JG4_Widukind сказал:

You wrong. Because you fail to destroy Blue Tanks in front of Akhirskaya. After that Red Team fail to Defend the Airfield on Gelendzhik. 

The Blue Teamplay was today excellent. 

We fly and coordinate today with many Squads.

Pls do not scream always if u lose a Map... Blue Side have many Problems too. Some times we lose and win... It's a Game.

My Option is only Fly! And not talk. 

I do not scream if we lose maps! If you want to comment my opinion with dumb comments, please don't!

I share my opinion on the initial start up and how it favors the blue team with image of the map as a prove.

I propose that more thinking should be applied to initial start up to give equal opportunity to both teams; otherwise, more red pilots might lose motivation to play as reds, and you will enjoy playing alone and bomb whatever you want, and be very proud of your skills.

Edited by 72AG_Obi
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Blue was flying good tactics, also had larger player count mate.

Yeah I think this map is already over too. 

Again, 2:1 Blue to red at NA peak hours. 18:5 blue to red now, in the morning I think kras will be gone and map = over already. 

Edited by [GCA]T1m270

@=BLW=Tales,

Maybe we could try to coordinate the fighting between our squadrins during US EST. You guys stick with LW and we can switch to VVS between 20-22hs Brasilia time and then in the next TAW we switch again ... This way we could ensure our squadrons would have oposition when most of us are active in TAW. What do you think?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JG4_Widukind said:

What!? im destroy all enemy tank column on mission 386.... during the last flight, only 3 live targets remained in the convoy, which is essentially a destroyed convoyon my last
good balance TAW. blue have all... big bombs, Broken take-off ban when exceeding the coefficient of players on the server  , High-speed high-altitude fighters... and the most important cheat "Airfield Gelendzhik was captured by paratroopers"

And what we get?  only one La5 which can’t fly normally above 3 kilometers

Edited by STOIKIY
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, STOIKIY said:

And what we get? 

You have your talent and red super power. Is it not enough?

P.S:  To admins: please add Yak 7b to the map 6.  Now we have 2 yak1. Better to split them to 1 Yak1 + 1 Yak7b.

Edited by Norz
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, 72AG_Obi said:

Here is an example for first/start mission in Cuban and how much it's biased towards Blue team.

If Germans succeed taking out Akhturskaya, Gelendzhik gets cut off of the rest of the Soviet's resources so basically it's like the beginning of the end for Reds.

If Soviets succeed taking out Timashevskaya, Germans are still good to continue as all their AFs are still well within their support lines.

Add to it the lack of red pilot numbers at the beginning of the map to repel Germans attack and you can figure out how bad is the logic to balance the initial start of this map.

I feel like this map is for reds who like and enjoy pain )))

map_nr381.jpg

due to above mentioned problems I suggest the following:

1. change the start mission cards Kuban in such a way that would be armored columns appeared at least 40-50km from the aerodrome which is offensive ( in this case from the airport Okhtyrka and Timashevskaya)

2. in the first mission of the new maps to do the advancing tank columns hidden, columns in obrazu supplies that you have to explore 

3. tank columns located from the front lines more than 15-20km to do hidden

Edited by =FPS=Cutlass

Posted (edited)

And another interesting chain of events...

Mission #390 when we have a blue tank convoy attacking Krasnodar in NE direction. Krasnodar is a crucial point for reds to defend.

We managed to soften the tank convoy and protected our defense around Krasnodar. 

As the result, tank convoy was destroyed during the attack. 

map_nr390.jpg

And what did we get in next mission #391?!

In next mission, another tank convoy got created North of Krasnodar right away I guess to replace the wasted one and this time close enough of Krasnodar AF to close it and spit at all red pilots who tried to defend it last mission.

So now we have huge desert in reds middle and south areas. We know that Cuban map is not very well suited for MP, nonetheless this map really needs to be modified so that the build of tank convoys has some sense for both parties. 

map_nr391.jpg

Edited by 72AG_Obi
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mission 385. The blue tanks were more than 25 kilometers away from the airfield. Why did the airfield close?

2019_8_29__18_19_48.thumb.jpg.9ff3dcb9fbbf0aa5d34f52ef93e95db5.jpg

2019_8_29__18_20_24.thumb.jpg.9faad85f5fcd3a2572c807c9ebf538d4.jpg

distance.thumb.jpg.65bbc3ef64b41e35ad31bc9b516486df.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

Mission 385. The blue tanks were more than 25 kilometers away from the airfield. Why did the airfield close?

I think it's because the Kuban map is massively stacked in the blue teams favor. I feel this so much that I decided to give the Kuban map a miss last time.

They said that little had changed, but I noticed that they had at least removed the BoBP beta aircraft, which is good. But they could at least have given us the MiG-3 as we have no high altitude interceptor and the MiG-3 was present in the Kuban historically. 

Question...

Is there any penalty in flying VVS when you have chosen to fly for the LW?  Does the server kick you out or restrict you if the balance switches so you can fly LW again?

von Tom

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, von_Tom said:

Question...

Is there any penalty in flying VVS when you have chosen to fly for the LW?  Does the server kick you out or restrict you if the balance switches so you can fly LW again?

von Tom

No restrictions, except you must make a Red account. This account does not share any of your victories or defeats with your Blue account. You can only have one account per side.

Edited by [TWB]Sketch

1 hour ago, Pict said:

But they could at least have given us the MiG-3 as we have no high altitude interceptor and the MiG-3 was present in the Kuban historically. 

Yeah.  i agree this.  MiG was there.  Admins u can take one Yak1 and give us MiG.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, von_Tom said:

Question...

von Tom

From the 2/10/17 change log: 

"In case of lack of players on one side you may register additional account for the opposite side with different pilot’s name. To change the side you have to  change your Username at https://il2sturmovik.com/account/ respectively first. Those accounts would be independent at each other. Penalty for changing the sides during the mission is 10min."

In addition to having to wait 10 minutes, I think there is also a modification to the points system.  I can't find that in the logs or manual but you get a pop up that explains it when you switch sides.

Hope this helps! 

Edited by StG77_Jeeves_
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, StG77_Jeeves_ said:

In addition to having to wait 10 minutes, I think there is also a modification to the points system.  I can't find that in the logs or manual but you get a pop up that explains it when you switch sides.

You do not have to wait 10 minutes unless you switch sides during the 2 hour block of mission time. If you start the mission as X side, there is no wait penalty.

The in game points are not the same as TAW points. There is no point penalty for switching sides. The pop up you're talking about is for in game points. (Which have no meaning when it comes to TAW.)

Edited by [TWB]Sketch

Thanks

Ultimately the hassle of changing IL2 name and re-registering will defeat the aim of us switching sides just to balance things up.  The 10 minutes switch penalty will compound that when our time is limited and we just want to fly.

von Tom

54 minutes ago, von_Tom said:

Thanks

Ultimately the hassle of changing IL2 name and re-registering will defeat the aim of us switching sides just to balance things up.  The 10 minutes switch penalty will compound that when our time is limited and we just want to fly.

von Tom

No need to change IL2 name. All you have to do is create an additional TAW account for the opposing side.

4 hours ago, SCG_Riksen said:

No need to change IL2 name. All you have to do is create an additional TAW account for the opposing side.

The post a couple above says you have to change your game name and register with the new one. 

von Tom

3 minutes ago, von_Tom said:

The post a couple above says you have to change your game name and register with the new one. 

von Tom

The easier way to do it von is the following:

1 - Assuming you are registered for LW as "von_Tom", go to TAW website and log into your account;

2 - Change your nickname from "von_Tom" to "von_Tom_LW" in TAW website and log out of that account;

3 - Register a new account in TAW website named "von_Tom" for VVS;

4 - Start the game and play as VVS in TAW server;

5 - When you get bored of flying VVS, log into your VVS account in the TAW website and change it from "von_Tom" to "von_Tom_VVS";

6 - Log out of your VVS account in TAW website;

7 - Log into your LW account in TAW website and change it from "von_Tom_LW" to "von_Tom";

8 - Play as LW.

The advantage of this over changing your IL2 name is that you can do the method above without the need to leave the TAW server and, therefore, switch accounts without the need to restart your game. The switching side penalty, however, still apply regardless but it is only 10 min. 

Hey all, 

Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but I somehow botched my registration password on TAW. There doesn't seem to be a way to "unregister", and when I try to re-register it asked for password, but it won't accept it. I want to change my plane preferences (to get that A-20 :D) but think I'm stuck until the new registration period.

Any ideas? 

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, richarrrd said:

Hey all, 

Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but I somehow botched my registration password on TAW. There doesn't seem to be a way to "unregister", and when I try to re-register it asked for password, but it won't accept it. I want to change my plane preferences (to get that A-20 :D) but think I'm stuck until the new registration period.

Any ideas? 

Thanks!

Try sending a message to @=LG=Kathon to reset your password.

Can't say this server is very bomber friendly. Thick thick cloud layer, and insane strong AA.

On last nights bombrun on rear factories, all bombers were taken apart with in a minut. 

If this shall be a place were bomber pilots also can participate, then we need a fair chance of succes. 

S! 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Loke said:

Can't say this server is very bomber friendly. Thick thick cloud layer, and insane strong AA.

Look at the statistics of many other bombers. It seems that clouds and AA do not interfere much with them.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Loke said:

On last nights bombrun on rear factories, all bombers were taken apart with in a minut. 

If this shall be a place were bomber pilots also can participate, then we need a fair chance of succes. 

S! 

too much turbulence

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 6./ZG26_Loke said:

It is not what we experience. 

Statistics show that the bombers on this server fly quite successfully despite the clouds and AA. Maybe you are just doing something wrong.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Loke said:

S! 

I usually fly bomber and my worse enemy always had been fighters, neither AA nor weather. The only weather dont fly level bombing is overcast.

I have always thought that when I cant achive anything is all about improving my skills.

Good luck :)

Edited by E69_Gote
Spelling
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Loke said:

S! 

I'm going to pile on here and say, as a dedicated bomber, this has not been my experience in the least. Sure, I've been taken apart by AA this campaign a few times, but in those instances I can point to what I did wrong to get myself in that situation. 

I HIGHLY suggest StG77_HvB's absolutely amazing Ground Attack Handbook. It's helped me out a great deal and upped my game tenfold since reading it cover to cover. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TXSaTG6yKXTo-y9jd4-20nIH06D0ksek/view

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, E69_Gote said:

I usually fly bomber and my worse enemy always had been fighters, neither AA nor weather. The only weather dont fly level bombing is overcast.

I have always thought that when I cant achive anything is all about improving my skills.

Good luck :)

I fully agree Gote, the fighters are the bombers worst enemies. Which is as why we chose a flight path to avoid the chance of getting intercepted. It of course means that one will get a long flight to these juicy rear targets, which I personally enjoy. 

With heavy cloud layer, one of course have to do low level bombing, and we did expect to get hit, and might loose a plane. However, this target and previous targets also result in a 100% loss of entire flight, only due to a utterly extrem heavy and most accuate AA fire. 

We use half a hour and more to get to target, only to get blasted out of the sky.

On other servers like Knights of the air, we do not get murded by AA like on TAW. 

It has nothing to do with how we preform the brun, as we tried in many different ways, with more or less same result. 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Loke

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Loke said:

Can't say this server is very bomber friendly.

Without the slightest hint of doubt, I believe that TAW is definitely the PREMIER bombing server.  Bombing on TAW actually has lasting effects--what you bomb in one mission affects the outcome of the next mission.  What other MP server does this, Loke?  Poor weather and heavy AA and enemy fighters reflect challenging conditions real WWII bomber pilots faced--yes, bomber pilots often got shot down by AA despite their best efforts.

Until we have another dynamic campaign server, TAW will be the only game in town to have a meaningful bombing experience.

Edited by SCG_Limbo
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Loke said:

It has nothing to do with how we preform the brun, as we tried in many different ways, with more or less same result. 

Well, since you can’t bomb in the clouds, and the anti-aircraft guns are too aggressive, then of course the server administration will remove the clouds and turn off the anti-aircraft guns for your sake 😁

For example I am a bomber pilot. I drop bombs from the level and dive towards the target. Clouds and anti-aircraft guns almost do not bother me.

On 8/30/2019 at 2:30 AM, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

Assuming the airfield was not damaged more than 75% or under repair, and I cannot find any evidence in the mission logs to suggest that it was, then the tanks being within 25 KM distance range is the only explanation for the field being closed.  28 KM is somewhat close to 25 KM so perhaps the distance algorithm TAW uses was triggered somehow. 

In general, the 25 KM value for tanks to close airfields seems a bit extreme to me and the previous value of 15 KM was better in my opinion.

• Upvote 1