Tactical Air War

18 hours ago, =LG=Kathon said:

No, I was writing about Pe2 gunners. 

I double checked settings and it's:

80%/20%/0%/0% low/normal/high/ace for Pe2 

50%/50%0%/0% low/normal/high/ace for others

Its as i was afraid.

A "saving wanaby hartman ego" setting.

And how is it fair for I16 pilot who has really hard time catching 110 or next map ju 88 and not many options as for approach due to speed difference?

All planes schould have same settings, be it lowest but same

• Upvote 1

Overcast was a big part of the Eastern front, bad weather was a huge problem for pilots, makes no sense not to have it. It sucks, but its a sim, we shouldn't not play because its harder to see in these conditions. 

As for the pe2 gunners and all. The Pe2 is also substantially alot more resistant then the 110, 88, or 87. The amount of times I've been in a Pe2 and had everything filled with 20 mm holes and still gotten back does not compare even slightly to the amount of times you get back in a 110. The pe2s resilience coupled with gunner accuracy and bad tactics by German pilots makes it so deadly. You dont need to have a good approach on German bombers as you typically don't need more then a few passes to down one, granted the german gunners are also good.

• Upvote 1

What makes the Pe2 more dangerous than everything the germans have is the good gun with big field of fire on an frame that is very resilent and fast. 

So you have to make many passes and it's hard to come into a save position for your pass.

...and that comes from a guy who mudmoves on the red side most of the time

Edited by [_FLAPS_]Grim
Add.
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, 666GIAP_Necathor said:

"THis is not a reply to anyone in particular, can't remove this little window, tried everything"

Hitting a moving target is difficult, but helps if that moving target is moving towards you and approaching in an steady form to keep sights on you, remember, if you can see the bomber inside your cramped canopy the gunner is going to see you way better, and he hasn't to fly or look anywhere else, just keep his eyes on you.

I fly mostly Jabos or Bombers, most of the time my gunners shoot for a long, long time before I can call a hit, that means you have been in my range and sight for long enough.

The majority of pilots don't actually realize (and recognize) that they spend too much time getting closer to the target, and in a bad angle, if you are a hunter and complain about gunnery accuracy just fly bomber for a while and then tell us about it.

Bad approach and too much time, plus and experience gunner means odds are you are gonna get hit, from then, it depends on the type of plane what is going to make the difference between some engine noises or just a leak and RTB ASAP.

BTW, yesterday I got a square hit by heavy AAA in my 111, over 6k RTB after dropping my love, the plane lost both wings and crew got injured/dead on the spot.

This shxt happens, it's called war my friends! 😂😂

Gone on holidays, see you next TAW

Edited by Ala13_elchinodecai
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Last time I had the time to fly on TAW was on the 31st of July and I came across something I like to see, a decent sized squadron forming up and taking off. I'm not in a squadron myself and tend to fly alone mostly, so it's always cool to run into a well organised bunch.

I spawned in right on a bend in the taxiway in my Pe-2 just as these guys were taxiing by. My wings were slightly in their path, but they all did a great job of avoiding me without any drama. There was a bunch of IL2's followed by a bunch of I-16's. I took off right behind the last I-16 and a few of them ran alongside me for a short while as we were almost surly heading to the same target, blue tanks. Further on I caught up with and flew over the IL-2's as they crossed a river, with the I-16's flying cover above it would have made for some cool screenshots. 

This was my second run out to this target and so I knew exactly where I was going in and coming out and made the bomb run accordingly, thinking that if I didn't kill anything at least my bombs would soften stuff up for the Sturmoviks right behind me.

On the way out I made a slow turn for home, low and as fast as I could. Looking back at the target area I could see the IL-2's coming in and the sky above the target light up with tracer as the I-16's tangled with the defending fighter that must have just showed up at the same time, moments after I had left. It was quite a show and I wished afterwards that I had had the presence of mind to record the whole thing.

Since then it was on my mind and I looked through the TAW logs to see if I could figure out who they were and it turned out to it was the =19FAB= squadron. Great to see them in operation and if any of you are reading this :good: from me. It's little moments like this, that pull the whole thing together for me and I really appreciate them.

• Like 6

I was flying in Bf110 and it was getting dark (sun just below horizon / twilight) and I was trusting my gunner to call out enemies who'd get close. Yet I got bounced twice without him warning me at all and my buddy once without his gunner warning him.  Actually,  the call 'gunner 1 is engaging' came the moment tracers flashed by my cockpit. As if the gunner didn't see the bogey at all, even if he were in close 6 o'clock, until we were visibly under attack.

Now, I'm kinda pure fighter jockeys so here is the questions :

- Does gunner visibility drop drastically under low light conditions / twilight?? My gunner didn't warn me for a P-40 200m behind me

- Does gunner accuracy drop under low light conditions / twilight?

- Does AAAaccuracy drop under low light conditions / twilight? And AAA reaction time / spotting distance?

1 hour ago, =FSB=HandyNasty said:

I was flying in Bf110 and it was getting dark (sun just below horizon / twilight) and I was trusting my gunner to call out enemies who'd get close. Yet I got bounced twice without him warning me at all and my buddy once without his gunner warning him.  Actually,  the call 'gunner 1 is engaging' came the moment tracers flashed by my cockpit. As if the gunner didn't see the bogey at all, even if he were in close 6 o'clock, until we were visibly under attack.

Now, I'm kinda pure fighter jockeys so here is the questions :

- Does gunner visibility drop drastically under low light conditions / twilight?? My gunner didn't warn me for a P-40 200m behind me

- Does AAAaccuracy drop under low light conditions / twilight? And AAA reaction time / spotting distance?

AI are all impacted by low light conditions I think, including aa and gunners.

• Thanks 1

Gunners skill level should go according pilots skill level...Bomberpilot level  general should earn better gunners on board and so on.

I flew last taw on PE-2 (my gunners didnt have to shoot at any mission at all). Most frostrating ( I dont know pe-2 characteristics ) was that

I didnt have to to touch throttle at all during mission ( throttle 100 at start up...next time I touch throttle was landing after hour flight).  If that is real so Pe-2 is fine piece of plane. Happy landings....

I also give my salute to 666Giap fighterpilots...flying ratas...nice piece of fight lasting 5 minutes...no mercy given or asked ....but honest fight.

Long lasting minutes to get beaten.....

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, =FSB=HandyNasty said:

I have experienced the blind rear gunner syndrome a few times during low light conditions. Sometimes, however, they seem to spot just fine under the same conditions. I'm not sure if accuracy is affected, but I have seen a Pe-2 gunner smoke a fighter from 50m distance under low light conditions. It's unnerving because like you said, tracers are whizzing past the cockpit and the gunner's back there reading a comic book. Would be nice if they were activated by hostile fire regardless of light conditions or enemy A/C distance.

• Haha 1

Did the gunner talk at all? Like answering on range commands?

My gunners dont talk to my from time to time. 

20 hours ago, =LG=Kathon said:

All gunners are set the same:

25%/50%/25%/0% low/normal/high/ace

I agree with the change of putting the same skill for all the gunners, but with everyone complaining about how overpowered gunners are why did you decide to put now 25% high?? Before there were no high gunners on any side..

5 hours ago, [_FLAPS_]Grim said:

Did the gunner talk at all? Like answering on range commands?

My gunners dont talk to my from time to time. 

It happens sometime.

they just don't say anything or don't shoot until they are very, very close.

On 7/29/2019 at 2:38 PM, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

5 Rules I've learned about attacking bombers:

1) Always go for the formation leader/the plane out in front, FIRST. -  Even from an on-6 attack, and with the correct angle, that's 1 tail gunner to worry about and not the whole formation of gunners.

2) KEEP a small profile and NEVER show the enemy your belly.  The reasons for that should be obvious.

3) If it can be avoided, NEVER pull up sharply after an attack or at all until you are clear of the gunners. (If you have a dart board mounted on the topside of your plane somewhere, then feel free. lol)

INSTEAD, dive away as much as needed but as shallow as possible to one side, keeping the wings as level as possible on the roll axis, to keep a low tail profile. Doing small, sharp "sidesteps" and jukes with the rudder while staying on the current heading helps too.  Extend away and reset for another attack.   

4) If you are on the six of a bomber and are going to overshoot, then overshoot.  Trying to maneuver to stay on his tail bleeds energy, increases the possibility of showing the gunner a larger profile of your plane and makes you an easier target. 

INSTEAD, get past the gunner's firing arc quickly and extend away so you can reset for another attack.  It's better to have the possibility of the pilot front gunning at you until you're out of range, or his ability to point the gun at you is spoiled, than have tail gunner(s) shooting while you're in a lowered energy state. 

5) NEVER attack from dead-on 6 - unless the plane's tail design prevents the gunner from shooting.  Then. do so at your own risk. 

OK for S and G I'll answer your rules

1) I did.  I can account for all 4 bombers while attacking the lead

2) I did.  I came in from 120 degree right side front.  fired and exited 60 degrees away to the rear.

3) I didn't during the attack run.  IAs I said I over shot the dive and pulled up rolled over and back into them from the front at a 120 degree attack on the pilot and gunner position.

4) I wasn't on the six of the bomber at any time. If I was I wouldn't slow down as I know speed is life against a human adversary. (note: HUMAN ADVERSARY)

5) In this instance I didn't, My wingman unfortunately did just this.

All I want is a fair fight against an enemy bomber.  Multicrew the crap out of them with capable people and I'll shut my mouth.  Keep killing me with AI and I'm going to bitch about it.

In other sims we JG51Molders have multi crewed bombers and called them death stars.  In those sims you had no AI gunners so to fly a bomber without a crew was suicide.  In here flying any multi crew aircraft and using AI to defend ups your chances of killing someone attacking you by 500%.  I've got a few videos of me using a 110G2 and RTB the aircraft with numerous ground kills and 2 or more enemy aircraft kills in the same mission.  I'm sure they (the fools who I killed with the TG) would be the first to agree that something this stupid has to be fixed.  And the best part is it can be fixed.  The sad part is no one building the servers wants to take the time to fix it.

Respectfully

>S<

Again shot down by firend,,,

https://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=17031&name=666GIAP_Tumu

https://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=17006&name=VBF-12_Snake9

this time i advise... please I16 dont shot me... im P40 . bang, no controls... i have luchy to bail... was flyind arround 500 alt...

shot me twice times.... over friendly AAA  ... and surprise friendly AAA dont shot me!! 

increible... people are crazy to shotdown something... no cares if is part of your team.

For me is NOT needed any type of ban... simply i want to advise teamates... PLESE  CHECK  BEFORE SHOT! READ CHAT PLEASE: 

thx

:)

Edited by 666GIAP_Tumu
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Skv_Vovka said:

this is payback for finishing off aircraft damaged by other players ))))

WTF??? So Tumu goes there, shoots a 109 who is firing at another VBF12 I16, and in return he gets shot?

If there's anyone who always flies respecting other players (both friends and foes) it's Tumu. I think you should apologize for this message.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, [GCA]T1m270 said:

Comom Red pilots! we could use some more to keep it even :)

It's more than just Red pilots required to keep things even...Red side needs bombers with decent payloads & transports.

This can easily be seen if you compare damage to depots. Pe-2 is Reds heaviest bomber at the moment and 1000 kgs is it's maximum load, 2x500 kgs, 4x250 kgs or 10x100 kgs. So the largest individual bomb you can drop is 500 kgs.

How are the Luftwaffles off for bomb loads ? :) 

But the Pe2 is much faster and more resistent to damage to be fair. But I wouldnt mind if i could destroy a train with my Peshka with smaller bombs then the 500kg 🙄

When I hit a train with a Peshka, I use the 10x100 kgs load out and set the ripple to 0.1 sec, then run low and fast along the train. Often takes out most of it in one run.

Even then a Ju-88 is better off, as it can load 50 kg bombs, 28 or even 44 of them, allowing you to use a 0.05 sec ripple and pepper the train with bombs.

Moving trains would be much more of a challenge. I really liked this aspect of the Coconut sever.

Edited by Pict
Spelling, tweaking etc.
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, [GCA]T1m270 said:

Comom Red pilots! we could use some more to keep it even :)

I was away this weekend for a wedding. Hoping I will get out a bit today and the rest of this week!

Just crashed in a Pe-2 after being hit by flak and attacked by a Macchi 202 that killed my gunner and shot me down without getting a scratch on his Macchi. More proof that the theory that the Pe-2 is invincible and it's gunners are deadly is just that...a theory. The Macchi probably had the 20mm cannons option, the option that never existed for the Macchi 202, so that possibly helped :) 

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=18591&name=Pict

I dropped 6 buildings at their depot though, so it was worth an AI gunner and a Pe-2 lost :) 

In my previous flight I was attacked by an Me-110 and a 109 which managed to literally blow me out of the sky. There was a big yellow flash and my Pe-2 blew apart.

Tough really as once more I was looking to crash land someplace as I was never going much further. Again in what some call a dangerous and hard to damage bomber.

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=16914&name=Pict

Edited by Pict
Spelling, tweaking etc.
  • Upvote 1

@=LG= admins - question regarding map #2:

I notice the following aircraft inventory for German and Russian pilots at the start of the map:

Germany

Fighters

TYPE

QTY/MAX

DITCHED

Bf 109 E-7

2/2

0/0/0

Bf 109 F-2

0/1

0/0/0

MC.202 ser.VIII

1/1

0/0/0

Attackers

TYPE

QTY/MAX

DITCHED

Bf 110 E-2

2/2

0/0/0

Ju 87 D-3

2/2

0/0/0

Bombers

TYPE

QTY/MAX

DITCHED

Ju 88 A-4

1/1

0/0/0

He 111 H-6

2/2

0/0/0

Transport

TYPE

QTY/MAX

DITCHED

He 111 H-6 transport

1/1

0/0/0

Ju 52 3mg4e

1/1

0/0/0

Russia

Fighters

TYPE

QTY/MAX

DITCHED

I-16 type 24

2/2

0/0/0

MiG-3 ser.24

0/1

0/0/0

P-40E-1

1/1

0/0/0

Attackers

TYPE

QTY/MAX

DITCHED

Il-2 mod.1941

2/3

0/0/0

Bombers

TYPE

QTY/MAX

DITCHED

Pe-2 ser.35

2/3

0/0/0

Transport

TYPE

QTY/MAX

DITCHED

Pe-2 ser.35 transport

1/1

0/0/0

Pe-2 ser.87 transport

1/1

0/0/0

U-2VS

1/1

0/0/0

For fighters it is the same numbers/max-wise.

For attackers Germany has 4 out a max of 4, but Russia has 2 out of a max of 3.

For bombers Germany has 3 out of a max of 3, but Russia has 2 out of a max of 3.

Since this is supposed to be a neutral map (I.e. no attacker, plane/tank total losses the same), shouldn’t the aircraft numbers be also?

Requesting that the Russia attack and bomber starting/max numbers be adjusted to be the same for both sides (affects the IL2 and Pe-2).

Thanks for your consideration.

Relent

Edited by AKA_Relent
fonts

Not hard enough surviving in a 110E2 having an I16 drop in behind me and my wingman (Wingman killed him), but having a BF109F2 shoot me down was just damn insulting 335th_GRSavras.   Learn your GOD DAMNED target identity or don't f**&ing shoot.

And for the BF110E2 flown by 335th_GRbas_754 What were you doing following me over the target on my bomb run?  You may wonder what killed you but I run a 4 second delay for the detonations and about the time the bombs were going off you died.  Sorry but don't tailgate 110s going in for a bomb run.

I got some nice gun cam of your head-on and unlike your text that I shot at you in the head 2 head I can prove I did not shoot at all.

Edited by JG51_Ogg

4 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

I was away this weekend for a wedding. Hoping I will get out a bit today and the rest of this week!

Wouldn't make much difference right now as the server is perpetually full and you wouldn't get in...I just tried multiple times.

But at the very same time I get and 84 / 84 in the IL2 lobby, there is this massive imbalance in those who are "in"

axfull.JPG.8f4007d1b9ac014ea99d2549aae94cfe.JPG

15 minutes ago, Pict said:

Wouldn't make much difference right now as the server is perpetually full and you wouldn't get in...I just tried multiple times.

But at the very same time I get and 84 / 84 in the IL2 lobby, there is this massive imbalance in those who are "in"

axfull.JPG.8f4007d1b9ac014ea99d2549aae94cfe.JPG

EESH. maybe later tonight. Though I'm used to flying outnumbered.

Keep in mind that the numbers you see on the main page includes those that are actually connected and in a spawned aircraft, as well as those who are connected but are waiting to actually spawn (e.g. they can’t select an airfield/aircraft due to numbers imbalance, or they died/captured and are waiting out the 5 minutes, etc.).

Thus those above the max for a given side aren’t actually flying.

Edited by AKA_Relent
font size
  • Like 1

Looking for english speaking kameraden to fly coordinated sorties, wingman tactics (line abreast formation, pincer maneuvers, loose-deuce etc) on TS or discord as fighter/attacker to cover bomb runs, CAP etc...

I was told I was cleared for takeoff, spawned on the airfield then told I could take off in 45 seconds then kicked off. I do something wrong? 

1 hour ago, =BLW=Tales said:

Looking for english speaking kameraden to fly coordinated sorties, wingman tactics (line abreast formation, pincer maneuvers, loose-deuce etc) on TS or discord as fighter/attacker to cover bomb runs, CAP etc...

Wich side? FLAPS squadron fly allies now.

5 hours ago, Pict said:

Just crashed in a Pe-2 after being hit by flak and attacked by a Macchi 202 that killed my gunner and shot me down without getting a scratch on his Macchi. More proof that the theory that the Pe-2 is invincible and it's gunners are deadly is just that...a theory. The Macchi probably had the 20mm cannons option, the option that never existed for the Macchi 202, so that possibly helped :) 

I dropped 6 buildings at their depot though, so it was worth an AI gunner and a Pe-2 lost :) 

In my previous flight I was attacked by an Me-110 and a 109 which managed to literally blow me out of the sky. There was a big yellow flash and my Pe-2 blew apart.

Tough really as once more I was looking to crash land someplace as I was never going much further. Again in what some call a dangerous and hard to damage bomber.

The Macchi doesn't have the 20 mm on the 1st map. If server rolled to 2nd map since last night then i dont know.

Relatively new to the server. I've noticed that Blue generally uses the He 111 for level bombing instead of the Ju 88. Does anyone know why? Isn't the Ju 88 a faster, better airframe with a similar payload to the 111?

4 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Relatively new to the server. I've noticed that Blue generally uses the He 111 for level bombing instead of the Ju 88. Does anyone know why? Isn't the Ju 88 a faster, better airframe with a similar payload to the 111?

It is. Just sometimes you only have the 111.

5 hours ago, Pict said:

You crashed near the depot and you escaped. You should have informed yourself better.
So on ... This is not worth a token here.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JG51_Ogg said:

Not hard enough surviving in a 110E2 having an I16 drop in behind me and my wingman (Wingman killed him), but having a BF109F2 shoot me down was just damn insulting 335th_GRSavras.   Learn your GOD DAMNED target identity or don't f**&ing shoot.

And for the BF110E2 flown by 335th_GRbas_754 What were you doing following me over the target on my bomb run?  You may wonder what killed you but I run a 4 second delay for the detonations and about the time the bombs were going off you died.  Sorry but don't tailgate 110s going in for a bomb run.

I got some nice gun cam of your head-on and unlike your text that I shot at you in the head 2 head I can prove I did not shoot at all.

As I said know your target before pulling the trigger.  I went to bed my wingman made the short video.  You'll see I didn't fire at all.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, -[HRAF]BubiHUN said:

Wich side? FLAPS squadron fly allies now.

I fly axis, luftwaffe.

4 minutes ago, JG51_Ogg said:

As I said know your target before pulling the trigger.  I went to bed my wingman made the short video.  You'll see I didn't fire at all.

What is your graphical settings?