=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

1 hour ago, 335th_GRSwaty said:

Great news!!

I will quote here a previous post about Axis Forum!

Hide contents

Salute All!

During previous online wars (IL-2 Forgotten Battles era) from time to time we had blue and red separate forums, so each side could coordinate missions etc.

We could give it a try during the next TAW round and if it would be useful!

I have set up this board:

http://www.e-335thgr.com/taw/

My thoughts are:

1. No open registration. Anyone who wishes to join must:

• Register to the board http://www.e-335thgr.com/taw/
  • Send me a pm here, in the official forum with  the user name and the e-mail that he used to register
  • I will check it and give permissions to view and post

2. After each round we will delete everything (users and posts) and wait for the next round!

3. I think must be simple, only two topics.

We  can do the same for red site, but someone must administrate it. After I set it up, he must delete my account and administrate it.

I know that TAW runs too fast but we can give a try!

Any forum for reds yet? Unsure if we will fly red or blue at this stage

I can set up  a red forum too!

But we need a red admin to delete my account, once it will be up!

8 minutes ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

Any forum for reds yet? Unsure if we will fly red or blue at this stage

Hydra will be flying blue this round.

See you all in the skies!

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

Posted (edited)

New TAW camping starts on Sunday 12.05 about 10:00 UTC.

Change log:

• Improved AA in the depots and airfields. After many tests we have impression that devs have changed AA some time ago and now it’s not as effective as before. I’m going to report bug about AA because spawned AA (used in TAW) behaves different that normal AA.
  • New durability for buildings and vehicles provided by developers. But after tests we think there are bugs because you can still destroy hangar with 50kg bomb. I’m going to report this as well.
  • To reduce number of “suicidal” sorties there are 3 lives for each map (there are 8 maps in total during the campaign). If pilot dies, captured or disco his live counter is reduced by:
    • 1 when he is in bigger team
    • X when he is in smaller team where X = #smaller_team/#bigger_team. Example: Axis players: 28, Allied players: 20 so X for Allied is 20/28 = 0.71.

Every time “Lives on map” counter (shown in pilots hangar) <= 0 then pilot has 24 hours time penalty. After this penalty counter is increased by 1 so he may fly again.

• Improved “balancer” algorithm. Number of pilots on one side depends on number of pilots on the other side. In general the ratio shouldn’t be bigger than 40%. Example: one team has 20 players so the other may have 20*140% = 28.  For small number of players (below 10) the limit for other side is about 10.  Max number of players for each side is 45 as before.
  • Queue system: after spawning on the airfield pilot is moved to:
    • Active list if there are free slots for that side (no over limit message). Pilot is clear to take off.
    • Waiting queue if there aren’t any free slots (over limit message). Pilot is not clear to take off and have to wait. He gets his position in the queue on the chat and must return to the briefing. As soon as there is free slot on that side pilot is automatically moved to the Active list and he is clear to take off (message on the chat). You can check your actual position in the queue by spawning on the airfield again.

If Active list is full and there are waiting pilots in the queue then pilots with sortie different than ‘Landed’ or ‘On the ground’ are moved to Waiting queue on the last position creating free slot for others in Active list. This should make faster rotation between Active and Waiting players.

Note: number of players on the web site includes all players on the server also spectators and waiting pilots.

There is also additional queue for donators who have donated TAW server. This queue has bigger priority over Waiting queue so donator will wait much shorter to be clear to take off is team is full. Thank you for all donates! Without them there would be no TAW at all.

There is also additional queue for admins with highest priority.

• Axis may capture max 2 cities by paratroopers per map.
  • If your aircraft is damaged more than 30% then after landing it’s not available in the current and next mission.
  • If server is full and there is big difference between players spectators or waiting pilots on the last position is kicked to enable joining pilot from the smaller team.
  • New front-line algorithm with about 2km error. The previous one in some cases could have even 20km error.
  • Bailing out or crashing near enemy depot or airfield equals captured sortie. On the other hand the further you bailout/crash from the enemy positions the lower is probability of being captured.
  • Spanish translation thanks to E69_Qpassa . Remember to register on taw-server.de/spa to see briefing and messages in Spanish during the game.
  • Improved clouds. Lower base level during overcast, slightly more two layers clouds (work in progress)

Registration is open.

Good luck :salute:

Edited by =LG=Kathon
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 19

Great changes, love the limited lives per map although I can already see two downsides. The first being it penalize pilots attacking ground target more and thus the second being it encourages more hartmans in the server.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

Great changes, love the limited lives per map although I can already see two downsides. The first being it penalize pilots attacking ground target more and thus the second being it encourages more hartmans in the server.

Agreed. I think the pilots are already penalized when they die and perhaps there should be another way of making it more severe rather than this one that will most likely affect the number of players on the server and the ground attackers.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SCG_Riksen said:

Agreed. I think the pilots are already penalized when they die and perhaps there should be another way of making it more severe rather than this one that will most likely affect the number of players on the server and the ground attackers.

I am sure the devs wrecked their brains about how to generate a good system. I can't think of a better system but as always everyone is free to make suggestions. Of course it isn't 100% perfect but that's not possible in my opinion.

You could also argue that it finally requires teamwork between fighter pilots and ground attackers/bombers.

• Upvote 1

These are the forums for teams to discuss tactics etc! I don t know if will be useful or not!!

At the moment I will administrate blue forum about registration etc and we need a red admin to administrate the red forum!

These are the links:

https://www.e-335thgr.com/taw/

https://www.e-335thgr.com/taw-red/

These are the instructions:

1. No open registration. Anyone who wishes to join must:

• Register to the board http://www.e-335thgr.com/taw/ or https://www.e-335thgr.com/taw-red/
  • Send a pm in the official forum  (this one!) to me for blue team and to (TBA_ red admin) for red forum , with  the user name and the e-mail that he used to register at blue or red forum
  • Admins will check the user names  and give permissions to view and post

2. After each round we can delete everything (users and/or posts) and wait for the next round!

One of the things I like the most about TAW is that (thanks to LG and StG2) it is a perpetually evolving server, responding to changes to the game and player approaches. If you go back to page #1 of this thread and read the developers' intent, I think they have successfully walked a fine line over the past 3 years in maintaining the challenging environment while also listening to the player community and implementing some of the many suggestions made. Different changes and experiments have been tried every campaign. Some were successful and retained, some were not and were discarded. Can't say I was shitting rainbows about every change that has come down since the beginning, but I'm always willing to give them a chance in recognition of the the server's evolving nature.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

I like the new limited lives system.   I especially like how it impacts the smaller team less, which is an excellent addition. 

It makes teamwork more critical than ever, especially fighter/bomber communication for both sides.  I can't wait to get in the sky.  Thanks for all of your hard work!

Finally no more LW supremacy! ( by number obviously ), hope this time not to die in 6# map , and PHX go Reds!!
S!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, StG77_HvB said:

One of the things I like the most about TAW is that (thanks to LG and StG2) it is a perpetually evolving server, responding to changes to the game and player approaches. If you go back to page #1 of this thread and read the developers' intent, I think they have successfully walked a fine line over the past 3 years in maintaining the challenging environment while also listening to the player community and implementing some of the many suggestions made. Different changes and experiments have been tried every campaign. Some were successful and retained, some were not and were discarded. Can't say I was shitting rainbows about every change that has come down since the beginning, but I'm always willing to give them a chance in recognition of the the server's evolving nature.

I agree, my comment was just an observation. Limited lives is a great idea, it will make people actually coordinate and play a lot safer. I just feel bad for ground attackers who are the ones that are going to feel its impact the most and not in a good way. 

• Like 1

If i would have to give a prediction on the upcoming campaign, i don't think the changes will affect the biggest issue if the past campaign is anything to go by. 

Large scale attacks on objectives are still not effectively stoppable by the defender as discussed a couple of pages back. Considering that the casualty rate of the attacker is very low due to this, i think the changes are a drop in the ocean.

However i am hoping that i am wrong.

• Like 1

Every time “Lives on map” counter (shown in pilots hangar) <= 0 then pilot has 24 hours time penalty. After this penalty counter is increased by 1 so he may fly again.

Improved “balancer” algorithm. Number of pilots on one side depends on number of pilots on the other side. In general the ratio shouldn’t be bigger than 40%. Example: one team has 20 players so the other may have 20*140% = 28.  For small number of players (below 10) the limit for other side is about 10.  Max number of players for each side is 45 as before.

I find the new rules 3 lives per card and 24h does not bang well. Furthermore, I think there will be fewer ground attackers and fewer supply flights with this 3 life system.

Improved “balancer” algorithm. Number of pilots on one side depends on number of pilots on the other side. In general the ratio shouldn’t be bigger than 40%. Example: one team has 20 players so the other may have 20*140% = 28.  For small number of players (below 10) the limit for other side is about 10.  Max number of players for each side is 45 as before

Unfortunately, it is very difficult for us to fly 1 or 2 laps together with more than 10 players. That's what TAW has awarded TAW for us.

There is also additional queue for donators who have donated TAW server. This queue has bigger priority over Waiting queue so donator will wait much shorter to be clear to take off is team is full. Thank you for all donates! Without them there would be no TAW at all.

realy  a bad Idea.
is this all about those who once donated or donated last?

i forgett... JG4 if fly for Grey this Time ..good Nigth

42 минуты назад, Operation_Ivy сказал:

If i would have to give a prediction on the upcoming campaign, i don't think the changes will affect the biggest issue if the past campaign is anything to go by. 

Large scale attacks on objectives are still not effectively stoppable by the defender as discussed a couple of pages back. Considering that the casualty rate of the attacker is very low due to this, i think the changes are a drop in the ocean.

However i am hoping that i am wrong.

Agree. If Depots/AFs AAs remain weak and ineffective against few planes, and if buildings are still vulnerable to small guns, then I don't see a reason for some people in Blue team to change their tactics/exploits for easy win. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Operation_Ivy said:

After how long exactly? 1 campaign flying red?

3. ;) We flew the first 2 maps on blue, I'll give you that though, then switched sides to support Russia and become VVS heros. Look into the archives. Love you too 💖

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Just now, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

3. Hard to count, isn't it ;) We flew the first 2 maps on blue, I'll give you that though

We are talking campaigns right? When was that? as far as my memory reaches back the last campaign was the only one you were flying red...at least some of you.

6 minutes ago, 72AG_Obi said:

Agree. If Depots/AFs AAs remain weak and ineffective against few planes, and if buildings are still vulnerable to small guns, then I don't see a reason for some people in Blue team to change their tactics/exploits for easy win. 

You can add 100 AA/A emplacements and it won't help due to easily abusable Ai.

• Like 1

Since you're asking so nicely: Yes, we're talking campaigns. Just because there's a LW squad registered doesn't mean it's the primary. We used to switch over after seeing that LW was outnumbering VVS heavily after map 3. Don't you like balance?

2 минуты назад, Operation_Ivy сказал:

You can add 100 AA/A emplacements and it won't help due to easily abusable Ai.

Agree again and it's not just TAW. For a sake of interest, I tried Knight of Air server and was able to kill all AAs on a defense (around 12) in one sortie without even being damaged in La-5. And I was flying alone, so all AAs were focused on just me.

So we need some fix to accommodate such behavior of AAs. I know that should not be the TAW devs problem yet it is.

2 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Since you're asking so nicely: Yes, we're talking campaigns. Just because there's a LW squad registered doesn't mean it's the primary. We used to switch over after seeing that LW was outnumbering VVS heavily after map 3. Don't you like balance?

No, no..i just find it funny that you are wrote that you finally want to play LW again after not even having played 1 single whole campaign as red. So yeah i like balance!

6 minutes ago, Operation_Ivy said:

No, no..i just find it funny that you are wrote that you finally want to play LW again after not even having played 1 single whole campaign as red. So yeah i like balance!

We finished 3 campaigns as Red, with the latter 2/3rds of them as Red to balance it out. What's funny about that?

I wish I could play more, like you, but I got a family, and a job. 😀

Posted (edited)

Well with the new meta, I assure you people will be chute killed. Only need to do it 3 times to kick a player for an entire map or 24 hours. 

Naah, players won't do that; they have honor. /s

Time to bring this guy out again...

ve6leit.jpg.ba7284670d554328930bd6e67da96ff6.jpg

Edited by ACG_Sketch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

hahahah

Bloody TAW edition

Thx for start again TAW guys!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, =LG=Kathon said:

• New durability for buildings and vehicles provided by developers. But after tests we think there are bugs because you can still destroy hangar with 50kg bomb. I’m going to report this as well.  
  • To reduce number of “suicidal” sorties there are 3 lives for each map (there are 8 maps in total during the campaign). 

Good luck :salute:

> A 50kg bomb inside the center of a empty hangar wouldn't do much, but one lodged in the roof or close to an outside wall certainly would.  

> I get why this is happening but, I'm seriously debating how much I want to:   a). spend 3 lives in original Super Mario Bros. or b). spend 3 lives in original Pac Man, instead and be done with it.  

I guess a better work-around to +1 planes being added to player inventory every round couldn't be found - like +1 plane only added to inventory for the round only if the player's inventory = 0 planes.

Maybe I'll flip a coin 3 times and decide whether I want to even bother.

6 hours ago, =LG=Kathon said:

Change log:

• Improved “balancer” algorithm. Number of pilots on one side depends on number of pilots on the other side. In general the ratio shouldn’t be bigger than 40%. Example: one team has 20 players so the other may have 20*140% = 28.  For small number of players (below 10) the limit for other side is about 10.  Max number of players for each side is 45 as before.

That is exactly what I proposed 2 campaigns ago! :good:

3 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Don't you like balance?

That problem is solved! :rtfm: :biggrin:

If I get killed three times during one map, I'm gonna be so pissed I'll need a break anyway.  This three-lives-per-map thing could be good for my mental health.  On the other hand, less TAW means spending more time with my kids.  Bad for mental health. 

I may need to stock up on booze before 5/12/19 . . . .

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, II./JG51Grasser said:

when start server?

+1 week

• Haha 2

Thank you for this new edition

Lets test this changes, live count on my opinion will increase the chute kills, will be good if you can disconnect after 3 seconds max.

30% of damage no plane available, well, I have no idea how often happen to me, I think on every mission jajajajaja  

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the update KATHON.   Looking forward to Sunday morning. 

Premiums for staying alive....I like it.

Premiums for killing your enemy....I like it

But I can see an exploit coming from strafing the AA at an active AF then hang out and kill someone while the engine is being started, Taxing to the runway, taking off, or some other defenseless position on or near their original field of operation with the three life rule.  I mean what happens to "Balance" when one sides pilots have been killed off by this exploit?   The other side in the Balance equation can't fly either?  I'm just saying creating a balance algorithm with a life counter could get stupid ridiculous real fast.

Returning an aircraft to the field with 30% damage and losing it for current and following map....Not liking it. (Why return the aircraft if I can crash land and fly 3 missions to get it back?) current map OK, an additional map leaves no incentive to return a damaged aircraft to the airfield.  (trust me if I think of it someone else will exploit it).

There is also additional queue for donators who have donated TAW server.....Not sure I like this as Myself and Moostafa are the contributors of funds from the squad, we receive funds from all our squad-mates to support servers and would hate to have them waiting while we were moved to the head of the line so to speak.

Thanks again,  I just wanted to show my concerns over what could possibly happen.

>S<

JG51_Ogg

JG51Molders

Edited by JG51_Ogg
  • Upvote 1

I wonder, will the Finns fly red for a change... or is using mixture knob too complicated on anything but the Zuzuki PV  :^) 

32 minutes ago, CptSiddy said:

I wonder, will the Finns fly red for a change... or is using mixture knob too complicated on anything but the Zuzuki PV  :^) 

Don't wonder, it's too complicated ;)

But still couple of finn squadrons will fly red. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, JG4_Widukind said:

Improved “balancer” algorithm. Number of pilots on one side depends on number of pilots on the other side. In general the ratio shouldn’t be bigger than 40%. Example: one team has 20 players so the other may have 20*140% = 28.  For small number of players (below 10) the limit for other side is about 10.  Max number of players for each side is 45 as before

Unfortunately, it is very difficult for us to fly 1 or 2 laps together with more than 10 players. That's what TAW has awarded TAW for us.

i forgett... JG4 if fly for Grey this Time ..good Nigth

I will ONLY fly supply runs, that saves my life! Ground attackers will die out at least when they have flown their first six missions!

And adding to that: this slot reduction is the end for flying as a squad. Therefore the talking about "coordination is a must" for surviving is bullshit, because TAW prevents squads to fly together in formation. This effect was noticable already in the last campaign. We will only have Hartmanns flying solo at 7k and above over own territory!

Edited by JG4_Karl_Gratz
grammatics
  • Upvote 1

Its funny that the only people complaining about the balance approach and saying that it is the end of flying as a squad are exactly the same people that are causing the balance issues in the first place and never fly red....

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, 8./JG5_xshinel said:

I like the new rules, more team work, more real, no banzai, no lone wolf.

You will see just in one week that you are wrong.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, =LG=Kathon said:

There is also additional queue for donators who have donated TAW server.

Are you talking only about recent donators or all donators?

For the 3 lives limit, I wouldn't be surprise it will increase chute killing... 

So imagine you have only one life left. You finally manage to go in flight with your whole squad (which would be a miracle with all the restrictions). Unfortunatly you get shot down early in the flight and then killed on chute by one of those ******************************************************************* (no need to say how much I like and respect chute killers). Your playing moment is done... you can go to bed or fly alone on another server. 

I know you are trying to improve as much as you can for the balance, but I think the more you restricte, the more you kill team work because as somes already said, it will be hard or almost impossible for squads to fly together. 

On last campaign is was almost impossible so now... 

But at the end:

- the server will be full anyway.

- large squads will join other servers like Combat Box or KOTA.

So...

14 hours ago, =LG=Kathon said:

If your aircraft is damaged more than 30% then after landing it’s not available in the current and next mission.

Definitly a very very very very very very... bad idea to me.

Edited by F/JG300_Faucon
  • Like 1