=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 615sqn_Buzz said:

Those who do not want to fly in bad weather can they say what is bad weather for them, please?

Buzz

Snow/Rain = bad weather

Spoiler

Edited by Norz
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, but a bad weather like that for 3 or 4 hours on the 168 hours of a TAW week is really not too much. Flying in bad weather is also a challenge, do not you think? It's all about finding a balance in this weather management. Certainly, "more good weather" than bad weather but bad weather anyway, from time to time.

Edited by 615sqn_Buzz

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, 615sqn_Buzz said:

Yes, but a bad weather like that for 3 or 4 hours on the 168 hours of a TAW week is really not too much. Flying in bad weather is also a challenge, do not you think? It's all about finding a balance in this weather management. Certainly, "more good weather" than bad weather but bad weather anyway, from time to time.

Why do you think it is only 4 hours in the week (168 hours of a TAW week, what is that, is it the usual calendar week?) Do you have any statistic? I saw it time to time more than once in 48 hours (that means 4 hours in 6..7 hours where I was online. I don't have any idea what the weather was in another 35 hours in these 48 hours). 

P.S: The statistic from the post above:

overcast    39    9%

My choice is not more than 5% (once in 48 hours as I wrote before).

Edited by Norz

No Norz, sorry I don't have stat, it was just an example. 168h it's the number of hours in a week. And 5%  it's already that.  it's not a lot but it's already that ;)

11 minutes ago, 615sqn_Buzz said:

No Norz, sorry I don't have stat, it was just an example. 168h it's the number of hours in a week. And 5%  it's already that.  it's not a lot but it's already that ;)

Hm. As I can see 5% <> 9%.

I'm with Norz on this one: Snow/Rain = bad weather.

Especially when Rain/snow covers the whole map area - which typically is the case in the server. If we can have showers of rain in limited areas of the map, moving with wind - I'm ok to fly in those conditions. Some operational air activity would have been possible in real world too as some of the AFs would have been open.

For Buzz: I fly this for war/tactical realism - not for the challenge of flying in bad conditions. And I still stand by my earlier statement (until otherwise proven) - in general operations were not flown in rain or snow, and therefore - that is weather realism from tactical warfare perspective.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, LLv24_Kessu said:

Snow/Rain = bad weather.

Bad weather for the blue, but many reds are happy to fly in this weather and are happy with it.

What do you think about it?

Edited by =2ndSS=Lawyer1
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

Bad weather for the blue, but many reds are happy to fly in this weather and are happy with it.

Or... Clear weather for blue, but many reds are not as happy to fly in this weather and are not happy with it.

What do you think about it?

(According to your logic, as long as the weather is random; both sides will be 'happy' or not 'happy'.)

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ACG_Sketch said:

Or... Clear weather for blue, but many reds are not as happy to fly in this weather and are not happy with it.

(According to your logic, as long as the weather is random; both sides will be 'happy' or not 'happy'.)

clear    109    24%
light    128    29%
medium    126    28%
heavy    43    10%
overcast    39    9%

data of last war

As you can see clear sky is found on the server almost 2.5 times more often.
But historically, during this period rather bad weather dominated.

Edited by =2ndSS=Lawyer1
  • Upvote 1

I think that if those those numbers are accurate, they perfectly make sense for an online flight simulation server.

On 4/30/2019 at 2:56 PM, Plurp said:

Assuming Pe-2 at 2000m at 400 IAS = 452.  50km/452 * 60 = 6.63 min (.63 *60 = 6:37) So 6 min 37 secs to fly 50 km at this speed/alt.

If flying on a server with working NDBs.  Pe-2's have a distance gauge on right panel in top gunner seat.  (Reads 0-7 with 7 being the strongest)  It varies with alt how it reads the strength of signal so you will have to test at different alt's to see what is the equivalent of 25, 50, 75 km as I am not at gaming computer atm. 

IasTasChart.jpg

PLURP,

I'm asking out of ignorance here.  Is this chart taken into account in IL2?  In other words do they change with altitude as they should?

>S<

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

Lets not make this red/blue thing - for the record LLv24 plans to fly RED on the coming TAW.

Sure - low visibility reduces the speed advantage BLUE fighters have as they cannot see to zoom/boom as easily. And that is not why I suggested this.

5 hours ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

As you can see clear sky is found on the server almost 2.5 times more often.
But historically, during this period rather bad weather dominated.

Historically operations were not flown at low visibility conditions for several reasons (and I'm not going there). For me, TAW is emulating the air war war at Eastern Front - why should we try to fly operations in conditions where they were not flown historically?

all-weather fighter

all-weather fighter

[′ȯl ¦weth·ər ′fīd·ər]
(aerospace engineering)
A fighter aircraft equipped with radar and other special devices which enable it to intercept its target in the dark, or in daylight weather conditions that do not permit visual interception; it is usually a multiplace (pilot plus navigator-observer) airplane.
Edited by LLv24_Kessu
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't think many of us are advocating for a serious increase in the rain or snow missions on TAW. 

Personally what I'd like to see is more heavy/low cloud cover missions. As I mentioned in a previous post, the ambience and effect on tactics of the cloud settings used on the D-Day mission on the combat Box server is fantastic. This type of heavy overcast/cloud with partial breaks is very typical to the weather in the area represented as well. 

Once again, I don't think many here are advocating for weather in which the pilots did not fly in real life. 

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JG51_Ogg said:

PLURP,

I'm asking out of ignorance here.  Is this chart taken into account in IL2?  In other words do they change with altitude as they should?

>S<

If you are asking about TAS, then yes, it seems to be modeled.

I did some tests in a pe-2:  @ 300m I was able to go 437 km/h IAS or 444.4 TAS [10 km took 81 secs]

@5000m I was able to go 381 km/h IAS or 493 TAS  [10 km took 73 secs] 

So at alt you gain a 48.6 km/h speed increase or 8 secs for every 10km.

Tests done on Stalingrad Autumn map:  Going by game specs: if you can achieve stated speeds, it would be a 52 km/h speed increase.

Edited by Plurp
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LLv24_Kessu said:

Historically operations were not flown at low visibility conditions for several reasons (and I'm not going there). For me, TAW is emulating the air war war at Eastern Front - why should we try to fly operations in conditions where they were not flown historically?

Historically, in the 41st year in the fall, there were very few sunny days near Moscow. This is confirmed by military records from the archives.
Perhaps we will make a table with the real weather of that period by the days when the aircraft was active, and present it to the server administration.

• Upvote 1

I like how the weather is done right now. 😄

I feel no need to fly in rain every mission.

• Upvote 5

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, LLv24_Kessu said:

Lets not make this red/blue thing - for the record LLv24 plans to fly RED on the coming TAW.

Sure - low visibility reduces the speed advantage BLUE fighters have as they cannot see to zoom/boom as easily. And that is not why I suggested this.

all-weather fighter

all-weather fighter

[′ȯl ¦weth·ər ′fīd·ər]
(aerospace engineering)
A fighter aircraft equipped with radar and other special devices which enable it to intercept its target in the dark, or in daylight weather conditions that do not permit visual interception; it is usually a multiplace (pilot plus navigator-observer) airplane.

I'm sorry but the thing You fail to see ( i think I wrote about it before ,but might be mistaken...), is that the "bad weather" we have in TAW is not the bad weather You are speaking of.

Its only "less good weather" with decent visibility of minimum around 8km, ridicululsy high cloud base of 1600 m (minimum which I remeber) but ususally 2k +. And light rain or snow.

In aviation the conditions and I'm only speaking about VFR flights (and no gps, NDB etc nav but the old school map, compas,clock, mark I eyballs) which can hamper the sorties are visibility (both horizontal and vertical) , wind strenght and its direction,  the wind mostly for take off and landing, (also icing conditions and real thunderstorms with all the conditions they bring like hail, wind shear etc play a role but they are not modeled in TAW). 

and both visibiliti and cloud celling are really good in Your "TAW bad weather"! (as a side note , the minimum conditions for student pilot first solo cross country flight at my place is 500m cloud base and 5000m horizontal view…).

If TAW admins want they can put the real bad weather with 150 -  cloud base 2km visibility to have it more real, but I think for our purpose the less good weather conditions (your bad weather) is enough for the diversity .

edit.

I checked and Yes I wrote about it before

Edited by Carl_infar
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

I don't think many of us are advocating for a serious increase in the rain or snow missions on TAW. 

Personally what I'd like to see is more heavy/low cloud cover missions. As I mentioned in a previous post, the ambience and effect on tactics of the cloud settings used on the D-Day mission on the combat Box server is fantastic. This type of heavy overcast/cloud with partial breaks is very typical to the weather in the area represented as well. 

Once again, I don't think many here are advocating for weather in which the pilots did not fly in real life. 

This, precisely this.

Way more interesting tactical combat, and more realistic that open skies. Flying low and not at 6k becomes feasible more often as well. Before testing it, I never thought multi-layered partly covering clouds could be so good.

The cloud settings on combat box are done very well (but it has no glorious dynamic campaign like TAW), might it serve as an inspiration? 

Anyway, thanks for your service on creating and maintaining the scripts/maps @Kathon and thanks for the server administration @Raven!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2019 at 10:43 AM, CptSiddy said:

+1 week

Almost 1100 hours now

:(

Edited by JG51_Ogg

Glad to hear that TAW is starting this week. ✌️

Will there be night rotations?

On 5/7/2019 at 5:57 AM, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

Agreed.. It's how you can even the fight a little vs a 109 while flying in an early war aircraft like I16 or P40.

I love the bad weather.

• Thanks 1

All weather ops are awesome, it'd be nice to see some night missions too.

• Upvote 2

Does bad weather affect flak or gunner accuracy ?  No complaints, just something I always wondered.

8 minutes ago, Mm1ut1 said:

Does bad weather affect flak or gunner accuracy ?  No complaints, just something I always wondered.

Just guessing from what I see then I would say no as they are happy to fire through clouds.   I have seen flack refuse to fire at night though.

51 minutes ago, Mm1ut1 said:

As per Katon statement the aaa accuracy is reduced.

I have just returned from unexpected bussiness trip, so I was unable to write change log earlier. I'm going to do it today evening. 

TAW starts 12.05.2019 about 10:00 UTC.

Registration is not open yet. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Thanks KATHON.  Looking forward to the new campaign.

>S< 

JG51_Ogg

CO JG51Molders

Posted (edited)

Great news!!

I will quote here a previous post about Axis Forum!

Spoiler

Salute All!

During previous online wars (IL-2 Forgotten Battles era) from time to time we had blue and red separate forums, so each side could coordinate missions etc.

We could give it a try during the next TAW round and if it would be useful!

I have set up this board:

http://www.e-335thgr.com/taw/

My thoughts are:

1. No open registration. Anyone who wishes to join must:

• Register to the board http://www.e-335thgr.com/taw/
  • Send me a pm here, in the official forum with  the user name and the e-mail that he used to register
  • I will check it and give permissions to view and post

2. After each round we will delete everything (users and posts) and wait for the next round!

3. I think must be simple, only two topics.

We  can do the same for red site, but someone must administrate it. After I set it up, he must delete my account and administrate it.

I know that TAW runs too fast but we can give a try!

Edited by 335th_GRSwaty

Maybe the SCG finally gets to fly the Luftwaffe again. This is me hoping for better balance... and cloudy weather! 😀

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Maybe the SCG finally gets to fly the Luftwaffe again. This is me hoping for better balance... and cloudy weather! 😀

After how long exactly? 1 campaign flying red?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 335th_GRSwaty said:

Great news!!

I will quote here a previous post about Axis Forum!

Hide contents

Salute All!

During previous online wars (IL-2 Forgotten Battles era) from time to time we had blue and red separate forums, so each side could coordinate missions etc.

We could give it a try during the next TAW round and if it would be useful!

I have set up this board:

http://www.e-335thgr.com/taw/

My thoughts are:

1. No open registration. Anyone who wishes to join must:

• Register to the board http://www.e-335thgr.com/taw/
  • Send me a pm here, in the official forum with  the user name and the e-mail that he used to register
  • I will check it and give permissions to view and post

2. After each round we will delete everything (users and posts) and wait for the next round!

3. I think must be simple, only two topics.

We  can do the same for red site, but someone must administrate it. After I set it up, he must delete my account and administrate it.

I know that TAW runs too fast but we can give a try!

Any forum for reds yet? Unsure if we will fly red or blue at this stage

I can set up  a red forum too!

But we need a red admin to delete my account, once it will be up!

8 minutes ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

Any forum for reds yet? Unsure if we will fly red or blue at this stage

Hydra will be flying blue this round.

See you all in the skies!

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

Posted (edited)

New TAW camping starts on Sunday 12.05 about 10:00 UTC.

Change log:

• Improved AA in the depots and airfields. After many tests we have impression that devs have changed AA some time ago and now it’s not as effective as before. I’m going to report bug about AA because spawned AA (used in TAW) behaves different that normal AA.
  • New durability for buildings and vehicles provided by developers. But after tests we think there are bugs because you can still destroy hangar with 50kg bomb. I’m going to report this as well.
  • To reduce number of “suicidal” sorties there are 3 lives for each map (there are 8 maps in total during the campaign). If pilot dies, captured or disco his live counter is reduced by:
    • 1 when he is in bigger team
    • X when he is in smaller team where X = #smaller_team/#bigger_team. Example: Axis players: 28, Allied players: 20 so X for Allied is 20/28 = 0.71.

Every time “Lives on map” counter (shown in pilots hangar) <= 0 then pilot has 24 hours time penalty. After this penalty counter is increased by 1 so he may fly again.

• Improved “balancer” algorithm. Number of pilots on one side depends on number of pilots on the other side. In general the ratio shouldn’t be bigger than 40%. Example: one team has 20 players so the other may have 20*140% = 28.  For small number of players (below 10) the limit for other side is about 10.  Max number of players for each side is 45 as before.
  • Queue system: after spawning on the airfield pilot is moved to:
    • Active list if there are free slots for that side (no over limit message). Pilot is clear to take off.
    • Waiting queue if there aren’t any free slots (over limit message). Pilot is not clear to take off and have to wait. He gets his position in the queue on the chat and must return to the briefing. As soon as there is free slot on that side pilot is automatically moved to the Active list and he is clear to take off (message on the chat). You can check your actual position in the queue by spawning on the airfield again.

If Active list is full and there are waiting pilots in the queue then pilots with sortie different than ‘Landed’ or ‘On the ground’ are moved to Waiting queue on the last position creating free slot for others in Active list. This should make faster rotation between Active and Waiting players.

Note: number of players on the web site includes all players on the server also spectators and waiting pilots.

There is also additional queue for donators who have donated TAW server. This queue has bigger priority over Waiting queue so donator will wait much shorter to be clear to take off is team is full. Thank you for all donates! Without them there would be no TAW at all.

There is also additional queue for admins with highest priority.

• Axis may capture max 2 cities by paratroopers per map.
  • If your aircraft is damaged more than 30% then after landing it’s not available in the current and next mission.
  • If server is full and there is big difference between players spectators or waiting pilots on the last position is kicked to enable joining pilot from the smaller team.
  • New front-line algorithm with about 2km error. The previous one in some cases could have even 20km error.
  • Bailing out or crashing near enemy depot or airfield equals captured sortie. On the other hand the further you bailout/crash from the enemy positions the lower is probability of being captured.
  • Spanish translation thanks to E69_Qpassa . Remember to register on taw-server.de/spa to see briefing and messages in Spanish during the game.
  • Improved clouds. Lower base level during overcast, slightly more two layers clouds (work in progress)

Registration is open.

Good luck :salute:

Edited by =LG=Kathon
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 20

Great changes, love the limited lives per map although I can already see two downsides. The first being it penalize pilots attacking ground target more and thus the second being it encourages more hartmans in the server.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2