=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

So that I understand, you want us to work together,  but you do not want to have us to be in an administrated Discord channel - that you would have full powers over. How the f does this make any sense?

2 minutes ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

So that I understand, you want us to work together,  but you do not want to have us to be in an administrated Discord channel - that you would have full powers over. How the f does this make any sense?

The idea is that you work together with your friends. You're a member of TWB and they are highly regarded squadron. Can't you put together a strike package from your not insignificant talent pool?

Edited by Talon_

10 hours ago, LLv44_Mprhead said:

Downside of this would be that it would make it harder for organized squads to do anything together. Sometimes you have to wait for quite a long time to get everyone in.

We regularly take a while to get in as a squad, but people don't idle as spectators. They get into their planes, start engines, and taxi off of parking and towards the runway (usually trying not to block the runway). I see zero reason for people to be able to idle as spectators for longer than a few minutes (say for a bio break between spawns or something).

13 minutes ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

12 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

The idea is that you work together with your friends. You're a member of TWB and they are highly regarded squadron. Can't you put together a strike package from your not insignificant talent pool?

I think you guys are talking past each other. I'm sure everyone would be open to some kind of coordination between groups, whether that's a specific Discord server, ambassador roles on a server or whatever. 

• Upvote 1

I am suggesting we all join an administrated discord so we don't have....

the "bad microphone quality" guy

- the "How was your day? I ate an hamburger with french fries for lunch. And I love my cat. Did I told you that *insert random plane here* is not correctly modeled in game? Let me explain you why..." guy

- the "I play with my child/wife/stepmother/dog screaming behind me for half an hour and I do nothing against it" guy

- the "I have no headset, so my game sound is at maximum volume on speakers, can you hear my beautiful engine roaring?" guy

- the "I don't care about English, I will speak in *insert random language here* " guy

- the "I play with music and I want to share it with everybody *boom boom boom boom boom*" guy

- etc...

(from -IRRE-Centx)

I believe Talon doesn't want those types of people either. It's why I'm suggesting he open the doors to his populated Discord, and boot out anyone that meets the above. After all, he'd be the administrator of said Discord - with all the powers that come with being the admin. This way when he boasts...

"I got a squad of 45 Reds together for this TAW so the rest of you reds had better show up when we're not around and carry on the pushes we can make!! We're going to win Map 1 in I-16s gentlemen!"

We can join him and work together as a solid team, instead of feeling left out. As I'm sure you all are aware, TAW's meta is all about numbers.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

We can join him and work together as a solid team, instead of feeling left out

We're bulging under the pressure already. 30 guys on comms is no joke - as of night 1 on TAW I've caved to demands from my section leaders that I won't be adding anybody else to the channel for a while. In fact I've been asked to reduce mission size.

It's definitely possible that we get so big we undermine our efficiency. If you can put together your own group we will be able to co-ordinate as efficiently via text chat.

Regarding feeling left out, I have 50 guys but there's 400 on the team who aren't in the squad. I'm not the entire Red Army.

My wingman and me just had an server error within 10 minutes..both of us flying, wanting to attack an enemy, woosh, "lost connection to the server". I never had that before in any game. Real bummer. I know it's probably the Devs fault (new update), but i hope this can be sorted soon by any side

1 hour ago, SCG_Riksen said:

60 x 18 is getting hard to do anything against that. We need a cap limit asap or perhaps we should all fly Luftwaffe next campaign and pretend to shoot at invisible planes?

Could the brave pilots flying under these conditions at least be able to keep their planes if they get shot down or something like that?

I dont understand the mentality or what goes through the blues pilots minds when they have such numbers, do they enjoy it? they want to win that much they dont care about the fun side of it? or perhaps this is fun, shooting fish in a barrel?

2 minutes ago, SYN_Repent said:

I dont understand the mentality or what goes through the blues pilots minds when they have such numbers, do they enjoy it? they want to win that much they dont care about the fun side of it? or perhaps this is fun, shooting fish in a barrel?

Some people just can't resist kicking a dog.

14 minutes ago, SYN_Repent said:

I can only speak for myself but it is utterly boring. Hydra is considering to switch to red if the numbers don't change.

1 hour ago, Operation_Ivy said:

I can only speak for myself but it is utterly boring. Hydra is considering to switch to red if the numbers don't change.

TBH if red had a central location and a fairly accesable  location to coord and plan, as well as pass intel, I think itd be a less scatterbrain effort and you could stay blue.  My opinion is English speskers use the TAW discord for red coord at a minimum.  Over to the Russians and Germans on TAW TS if they wanna send and Englisg speakin rep to coord.  You can drop intel on target area from screenshots, aa locations etc.  Would be cool. Not to mention build a connected community.

Edited by Banzaii

Actually let's face it, the main problem of TAW is... it's success.

Too many players want to fly on this server, leading to a major overpopulation, which leads to massive unbalance depending on hours (= depending on connected squads, mostly...)

Is there a solution for this? I don't think so...

(well, in a perfect world, there would be 4-5 TAW servers running in parallel... but eh, not really possible :mda:)

Edited by -IRRE-Centx

4 hours ago, CptSiddy said:

Transport PE-2 is fuqered again. You have 0 normal Pe-2 and cant take transport one. I removed everything but the fuel, ammo too, and it still wont work. 

@=LG= : Is there any ETA on when the transports will work again?  It will make it tougher to keep airfields that are getting bombed, repaired/active, as well as replenishing aircraft stock(i.e.  if there's no reason to do transport missions).

Also, question... if a random flak group near the front line is completely destroyed, will it then stop giving intel to the other side that an enemy aircraft has been spotted?  Or is this based on a trigger zone and happens for the entire mission regardless of the state of the units there?  It would be nice to know if it's worth it to destroy these AA units or not.

Thanks in advance for your response, and for bringing us this server/event.

Edited by AKA_Relent

Another issue I've noticed is the experience points (XP) scoring.  It appears that the air kills are not always rewarding pilots with 50 points, but in some cases 10 points (more like an air kill assist), or other sum.

For example, looking at a couple of SCG_Sinerox's sorties (didn't mean to pick on you Sinerox, but you had some good examples :) ):

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=2282&name=SCG_Sinerox : in this one, he has one air kill and ended the sortie in the air, with a 33+ minute sortie.  It shows 21 XP, which appears to be 10 for the kill and 11 for the time in the air (33/3).

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=1818&name=SCG_Sinerox : in this one, he has 3 air kills and landed, with a 50+ minute sortie.  It shows 81 XP, which appears to be 15 for landing, and 16 for the time in the air (50/3), leaving 50 for all three kills (50 + 0 + 0?).

Thus, it seems something is not quite right with the XP calculation, that you might want to check into.

Thanks!

it's a Thunderbolt influence on American friends 😄 i play last night till 4 in the morning Polish time and it was all favor to allies side

38 minutes ago, =LG=Coldman said:

now its 10:47 to te russians  so its very dynamic

Herd mentality. ... Herd mentality, mob mentality and pack mentality, also lesser known as gang mentality, describes how people can be influenced by their peers to adopt certain behaviors on a largely emotional, rather than rational, basis.

I paid attention in my freshman year sociology class in college (university for you non Americans LOL).

There was a slight imbalance in the numbers skewed to LW in the last campaign - and all the VVS units complained. Now everyone ran the other way at the onset of this campaign to fix the issue. However, this caused an even more imbalance skewed to the VVS this time. The term for this is what is posted above.

I think limiting the number based on the numbers of the other side would be better:

IF # of BLUE <=0.5 # of RED THEN LOCK RED, WHEN # of BLUE <1

IF # of RED <= 0.5 # of BLUE THEN LOCK BLUE, WHEN # of RED <1

My logic is when a mission starts - it kicks everyone. So when 2 ppl join BLUE, a max of 4 can join RED and vice versa.

Edited by JG7_X-Man
  • Upvote 1

It's only busy because I got Red Flight on in number while SCG and E69 were on too. Blue will have advantage again in an hour I expect.

10 minutes ago, JG7_X-Man said:

I paid attention in my freshman year sociology class in college (university for you non Americans LOL).

There was a slight imbalance in the numbers skewed to LW in the last campaign - and all the VVS units complained. Now everyone ran the other way at the onset of this campaign to fix the issue. However, this caused an even more imbalance skewed to the VVS this time. The term for this is what is posted above.

I think limiting the number based on the numbers of the other side would be better:

My logic is when a mission starts - it kicks everyone. So when 2 ppl join BLUE, a max of 4 can join RED and vice versa.

So now at 17 BLUE, max RED would be 34 verses 40 that is there now. I guess the question is does that 7 additional ppl make a difference? Maybe lower the delta to 40% (then round up).

So when 17 RED join, MAX BLUE would be 23. 

When 2 RED join, MAX BLUE = 3 and so on.

4 hours ago, StG77_Kondor said:

Currently we have:

Allies (415 players registered)

Axis (536 players registered)

This looks like the best balance I've seen. Nice one.

Looks like evenings North America time stack goes to Red where we can crab back some land.

• Upvote 1

PLEASE give Russian pilots at least the P40 right from the start during the early war maps NO ONE wants to fly I-16 especially when the Germans have the Bf109 E It's not even close to fair or more importantly fun!

Edited by Tincannavy
  • Confused 7
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, II./JG77_Manu* said:

My wingman and me just had an server error within 10 minutes..both of us flying, wanting to attack an enemy, woosh, "lost connection to the server". I never had that before in any game. Real bummer. I know it's probably the Devs fault (new update), but i hope this can be sorted soon by any side

agree the "fix" just made things double worst.  2 flights, one disco, next plane falls apart 3 mins after making a pass on a bomber.  Game locks up while in shoot, for 5 mins, then unfreezes itself.  

Really bad now.  hope for a new patch, I guess I should have waited on buying that new 47.  :)

Regardless of the faults with latest patch  If you don't have the best system  speeds and connection regarding Fiber ,copper   (not wireless)   it doesn't help the situation That includes the game host also properly moreso  . 330 ping for me so i don't bother but 50km down the road 180 go figure !

1 hour ago, Tincannavy said:

PLEASE give Russian pilots at least the P40 right from the start during the early war maps NO ONE wants to fly I-16 especially when the Germans have the Bf109 E It's not even close to fair or more importantly fun!

Untrue. The I16 is my favorite aircraft to fly in game. I have a lot of fun in it. It can climb with an E7 and outroll it. It can't catch it in a flat run nor out turn it. A few tweaks to the way it's flown and it is a very competitive fighter.

I know others enjoy the I16 a lot too.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, JG7_X-Man said:

Guys - this logic will prevent ppl for obliterating maps when no one is around to fly. =LG= I would seriously look into adding this logic the SQL code I guess you are running. Maybe not 50% but 40% would be the sweet spot.

1 hour ago, 7./JG26_Smokejumper said:

Untrue. The I16 is my favorite aircraft to fly in game. I have a lot of fun in it. It can climb with an E7 and outroll it. It can't catch it in a flat run nor out turn it. A few tweaks to the way it's flown and it is a very competitive fighter.

E7 can out-turn it, quite easily. 

1 hour ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

E7 can out-turn it, quite easily. 

That is what Smokejumper said : It [the Ishak] can't catch it [an Emil] in a flat turn nor outturn it

8 hours ago, JG7_X-Man said:

This^ (mostly).  I think a slightly larger margin for imbalance would not really be an issue for most players.  Being outnumbered by a handful of opponents is one thing. A little strategy and smart flying usually can counter it.  Being outnumbered to the point of being little or no resistance is another thing.  Losing one's entire plane set in the course of a single mission can be a deal breaker for most.  

I tend to agree that once the player counts for the entire event are averaged out, it shows as mostly balanced for the course of the campaign.  The issue is that on a per-mission basis, one side or the other finds themselves vastly outnumbered.   Only those who are overly optimistic will soldier on without complaint. 

I'm starting to see how there are times when both sides find themselves on the losing side of 3v1 or 4v1 during their prime-time hours, and I would think that both sides would have a valid point about imbalance.

I think I'm going to do my best from now on to avoid statements of "dog kickers" or "fish barrel shooters" and accept that people, with limited time during the day, just want to play the game they want to play how they want to play it.  I was wrong for jumping on that bandwagon in a moment of frustration.

It boils down to the fact that the server program only handles a max of 84 players when double (or triple) would be ideal, and that there's no system in place to dynamically balance team numbers. 

9 hours ago, JG7_X-Man said:

^This

I would agree on a limiter like this.

A 25 vs 50 situation is hard but still possible with some coordination/strategy.

And it's a war situation, during massive offensives a side could be outnumbered.

Problem is when you have 5 vs 25 or 15 vs 60 situation, this is impossible because the "defending" side has simply not enough players to do something.

• Upvote 2

The problem with experience points and transport mission have been fixed.

The format of the fuel value in log files was changed by the developers after the last patch so transport planes didn't work.  

The new verstion of the TAW script will be started after mission #26

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

I really dislike the idea of limiting logins to the server when there is an imbalance. It's already painful if the server is full: sometimes I cannot play with my friends even if we are the underdogs. I can imagine the side with more players also being frustrated by a hard cap on logging in. If there were ever a cap I think maybe 42 or 50 would be a good number. Imagine if there were 20:5 players online and you couldn't log in to make it 21:5, very frustrating.

The airfield lockout mechanic is also painful. I was flying last night in a large group, trying to claw back some ground for VVS. We had half our people spawned at a frontal airfield, when suddenly the airfield shut down. Anyone who had not already spawned needed to use a different airfield. This was a big problem: the escorts, flying short-range I-16s, were now not able to cover the bombers from the rear airfield!

I don't expect the mechanics to be changed in the middle of this TAW, so I guess we'll learn to live with it, but psychology suggests that "incentives" are better than "punishment." Maybe we need XP bonuses for pilots flying against larger odds (would this change people's behavior?). Maybe instead of closing front-line airfields we should open a beneficial airfield when a particular side is at a disadvantage. Maybe if airports are opening or closing, we could have a message in chat giving us a 5 minute warning that the airfield is going to open or close. Maybe there is some other way to give a bonus to the weaker side, rather than a punishment for the stronger side (you can't log in, you can't use airfield X are punishments).

• Upvote 3

Last night me an another player bounced a mig. we both landed some shots on the mig before he lost control of his plane and ditched in a field. neither of our flight records show us even landing a single hit on the mig though: https://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=4770&amp;name==SqSq=switch201

I am fairly sure we hit him because I saw the hit markers on his plane.

The only thing I can think is that it was server lag, and we actually missed, but the player still ended up crashing on his own. Still I don't know if that's for sure what happened. I am wondering if this is happening to any one else

I hit a pe2 with short burst and wing gone. no hits no kill awarded. but he probably was badly hit by 109 earlier and he was credited wit kill or aaa got him. When someone is killed or destroyed next shots are not counted. BTW there is no migs on this map 

50 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

Maybe we need XP bonuses for pilots flying against larger odds (would this change people's behavior?).

Serious question: who cares about XP?

5% of the players maybe? Even less?

9 minutes ago, =SqSq=switch201 said:

Last night me an another player bounced a mig. we both landed some shots on the mig before he lost control of his plane and ditched in a field. neither of our flight records show us even landing a single hit on the mig though: https://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=4770&amp;name==SqSq=switch201

I am fairly sure we hit him because I saw the hit markers on his plane.

The only thing I can think is that it was server lag, and we actually missed, but the player still ended up crashing on his own. Still I don't know if that's for sure what happened. I am wondering if this is happening to any one else

VVS don't have Migs on map #1, they only have I-16s and P-40s...

Are you really sure about what you saw? :biggrin:

Joke aside, I don't know what could happen to you and your friend. Maybe he was already damaged and tried to break when he saw you coming, and crashed without any hit from you.

1 hour ago, Alonzo said:

The airfield lockout mechanic is also painful. I was flying last night in a large group, trying to claw back some ground for VVS. We had half our people spawned at a frontal airfield, when suddenly the airfield shut down. Anyone who had not already spawned needed to use a different airfield. This was a big problem: the escorts, flying short-range I-16s, were now not able to cover the bombers from the rear airfield!

It's supposed to be. The numbers imbalance ruins TAW. For the I16 escorts wind down the mixture. You can stay up quite some time.