Jump to content
=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, LLv44_Mprhead said:

If there is one change for future editions to be made, consider giving red side at least one BoS plane from the start. Historically I guess it should be LaGG-3.

It's a late model Lagg3, shouldn't have it in 1941 if we are talking historically. I mean blue side don't have Bos fighters from the start (I guess they can fly stuka though)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

It's a late model Lagg3, shouldn't have it in 1941 if we are talking historically. I mean blue side don't have Bos fighters from the start (I guess they can fly stuka though)

 

 

well, plane set is not strictly historical anyway. Otherwise we would have ju 88 from start :) But now the thing is that there is 2 blue planes from BoS and 0 red. So if you fly blue you can participate the whole campaign even if you only have BoS and if you fly red you are excluded from first 2 maps and IMO this should be changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LLv44_Mprhead said:

 

well, plane set is not strictly historical anyway. Otherwise we would have ju 88 from start :) But now the thing is that there is 2 blue planes from BoS and 0 red. So if you fly blue you can participate the whole campaign even if you only have BoS and if you fly red you are excluded from first 2 maps and IMO this should be changed.

Damn why not give them some p39 from the start for the kuban players, makes absolutly no sense to me.. And yes 88 should be available from the start we agree on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

Damn why not give them some p39 from the start for the kuban players, makes absolutly no sense to me.. And yes 88 should be available from the start we agree on that.

 

 

p-39 would be absolutely hilarious in the first map

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a IL-2 '42 with the fancy stuff locked? After all we do have a Stuka with BK3.7...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Furt said:

Maybe a IL-2 '42 with the fancy stuff locked? After all we do have a Stuka with BK3.7...

 

Could work too... I just see it as a bit of a problem if the other side can play all the maps with having only BoS and the other side can't. Then again I wouldn't mind it if there was only BoM planes available on blue for first 2 maps, that would be totally ok for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks to LG and STG2 for the campaign, it is the best campaign at the moment, and I have to say, that whatever I could say, it has been with encouragement to keep the interest in this great campaign.
Thank you again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what Cpt_Siddy said! Thanks TAW admin and everyone that helped making this sim not just a simple game for us to enjoy!

 

Much love and appreciation. 1+

Edited by =gRiJ=ToReRo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we know when the next tactical air war will happen, it was really fun to play and thanks to the TAW team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, 18Ry_cav said:

Do we know when the next tactical air war will happen, it was really fun to play and thanks to the TAW team

 

I'm new to TAW, I joined very late in the campaign but had a blast flying. Hope the wait for the next campaign isn't very long!

Edited by Focke-Wulf44
Added a space for legibility

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to LG and Stg2 for running the Server! Was fun to play but just to bad that some of the maps ended so fast. I really enjoy the very first planeset. Here´s hoping the next one lasts a few days :lol:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also need to thank you for the server and the fun times, I was just salty that my favorite part (the early maps and early planesets) were spoilt by the bomber farming and the heavy inbalance, I believe the first map barely lasted 24 hours.

Can't wait for the next campaign^^ I heard we'll get the Spit MK IX and so on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, =FEW=Hauggy said:

I also need to thank you for the server and the fun times, I was just salty that my favorite part (the early maps and early planesets) were spoilt by the bomber farming and the heavy inbalance, I believe the first map barely lasted 24 hours.

Can't wait for the next campaign^^ I heard we'll get the Spit MK IX and so on?

 

 

If we get Typhoon released before that, anything under 5km becomes OFF LIMITS to luftwaffe ^__^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are any of the Bodenplatte planes actually historical in this context? Specifically asking about the Allied ones. Did the Russians actually get lend-lease Spit MK IXs/Typhoons?

 

Of course I wanna play with the new toys (and hopefully add more map timeframes for a longer TAW campaign), I'm just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BubbRubb11 said:

Are any of the Bodenplatte planes actually historical in this context? Specifically asking about the Allied ones. Did the Russians actually get lend-lease Spit MK IXs/Typhoons?

 

Of course I wanna play with the new toys (and hopefully add more map timeframes for a longer TAW campaign), I'm just curious.

 

 

Highly doubt it, Typhoon and p-51D's were top of the line, fresh off the oven planes at the time in their "useful" incarnations. The models that came before them were not that useful to anyone either, like the castrated mustang or the tornado. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I'm reading online (having trouble finding a good source), the Russians received a decent number of Spit MK IX's as well as some P-47s.. excellent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Spit 9's were mostly used in rear guard actions around Moscow in so far as I understand things. But, as the server ops have said, the plane set isn't strictly historical and can be adjusted if they think it will make for a better experience. I don't see any reason adding late war planes would ruin anything, as long as there is something on the other side that can compete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Disarray said:

The Spit 9's were mostly used in rear guard actions around Moscow in so far as I understand things. But, as the server ops have said, the plane set isn't strictly historical and can be adjusted if they think it will make for a better experience. I don't see any reason adding late war planes would ruin anything, as long as there is something on the other side that can compete.

 

Well, as far as late war planes on the Axis side that can compete, this is where we see the Allies really take hold of the top slot with best-performing machines.  The Axis tried to compete, and in certain very specific situations did.  But, when it comes to checking off the boxes of all-around performance, the Allies had it.  Trying for full balance would pretty much entail both sides to fly the same plane set (Axis plane vs. Axis planes or Allied vs. Allied).  There would need to be the appropriate team 1 / team 2 skins added.  You'd have to get stupidly close to see the iron crosses or red stars before pulling the trigger.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, so in a if the BoBP planes were added into the last maps the power scale would shift to the Allied side. It would be inverse of most of the maps leading up to that point. The performance gap wouldn't be that wide. If a Yak 1 can be expected to fight a 109 F4 or G2, there is little reason a G14 or A8 couldn't be expected to fight a Spit 9 or Typhoon or whatever else is available. Will it be harder for them? Maybe. Is that a reason not to add them? Not by any means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please no Spitfire IX on the Eastern front or in general forcing players to buy a $70 pre-order DLC just for 1 or 2 planes they can fly for a week per campaign.

 

Spitfire F/HF Mk. IXe vs. 109 G-14 is no problemo, MW50 is that awesome, but if one doesnt happen to have Bodenplatte he/she will be stuck with a G-4 or G-2. As the campaign revolves around CAS and tactical bombing, the Pe-2 and lethal red light AAA(fragile Stuka and 110) are already a great equalizers despite V-VS fighters tending to be worse than Luftwaffe's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And how is that any different than putting Mig 3's up against F4's? God forbid the Germans get a taste of being over matched.

Edited by Disarray
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations to the Luftwaffe for the victory

 

 

We would like to thank all of you who donated the last Tactical Air War:salute:

 

donate_taw14.PNG

 

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, StG2_Raven said:

Congratulations to the Luftwaffe for the victory

 

 

We would like to thank all of you who donated the last Tactical Air War:salute:

 

donate_taw14.PNG

 

 

Oh boy so many donators, thanks guys ! ;) I think we must figure out something special for you 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

Please no Spitfire IX on the Eastern front or in general forcing players to buy a $70 pre-order DLC just for 1 or 2 planes they can fly for a week per campaign.

 

Spitfire F/HF Mk. IXe vs. 109 G-14 is no problemo, MW50 is that awesome, but if one doesnt happen to have Bodenplatte he/she will be stuck with a G-4 or G-2. As the campaign revolves around CAS and tactical bombing, the Pe-2 and lethal red light AAA(fragile Stuka and 110) are already a great equalizers despite V-VS fighters tending to be worse than Luftwaffe's.

 

I agree paywall requirements - if in fact this really is one - do suck.  However, considering the "historical" plane sets being used for each map, and assuming that, next TAW cycle, there will again be 8 maps, to win Allies will be forced to win maps 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 as winning during maps 1, 2, and 3 will be highly improbable.  In that case, if Axis wins the first 5 maps, then campaign victory will be claimed and finishing the last maps would be just "something to do".  Remember, Allied victories this TAW were attributed to a: finding the weak spot in the rules. (immediate merciless depot killing at the start of the map) and b: claims that since the campaign was already won, the bulk of team Axis "lost interest".  So... by the time map 7 or 8 rolls around, I really don't see the bulk of team Axis caring if the Allies get a few extra equalizers.  Well, except for those who don't like their baby seals being a bit more club-resistant.  Then we'll find out that Allied planes run on salt. 

 

The G-14 might be a drag racer that has a high top speed and acceleration, but it really can't turn as well as earlier models.  The airframe that had superior performance for the E and F is too bloated with "moar powaa!" at the cost of weight and fast became unsuitable.  There's a reason why the 109 E had around 750 horsepower but ruled the sky over planes with substantially more horsepower and the 109 F wasn't much heavier or more powerful, but was renowned as an "If you see one, your best bet is to run or immediately bail out" fighter.  Consider if you will, a gazelle.  Its skeleton is exactly the right frame to be light, fast and agile. But, if you add rhino bulk to said frame, it becomes something that while able to perform burst feats of strength, really only provides extra hamburger per animal.  What's that you say?  G-14 burgers come pre-salted!  Excellent! :cool:

 

The Spitfire Mk. IX while not having the straight-line speed is still pretty close. Add to it that it CAN turn fight.   While the Germans were basically adding more - and simultaneously sacrificing more - to the 109, the British had an airframe that was still able to be improved and refined with each "con" being rather insignificant to the "pro" that was added.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Disarray said:

And how is that any different than putting Mig 3's up against F4's? God forbid the Germans get a taste of being over matched.

 

I know this results in huge flame most likely. But you can almost always select two planes which are more or less unbalanced. MiG-3 vs 109F-4 is one example. Ju-87 vs Il-2 is next one from the other perspective. He-111 vs Pe-2 is another hardly comparable couple (it always depends on the point of view which one is better). Et cetera, et cetera.

 

The biggest objection against BoP planes being included into the TAW now, is that not everyone has this addition. According to the information from this forum, there is significant portion of TAW players, not heaving the BoM/BoK neither. Thus I see no reason why to add BoP planes at such early stage of development. Anyway, speaking from purely historical point of view, Bf 109G-2/G-4 or even G-6 should not be so underperforming vs Spitfire Mk.IX with 18 lbs boost. The performance of G-2 and G-4 especially should be in fact better in terms of speed (at most altitudes) and climb than even the Spitfire LF Mk.IX with 18 lbs boost Merlin 66.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

 

I agree paywall requirements - if in fact this really is one - do suck.  However, considering the "historical" plane sets being used for each map, and assuming that, next TAW cycle, there will again be 8 maps, to win Allies will be forced to win maps 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 as winning during maps 1, 2, and 3 will be highly improbable.  In that case, if Axis wins the first 5 maps, then campaign victory will be claimed and finishing the last maps would be just "something to do".  Remember, Allied victories this TAW were attributed to a: finding the weak spot in the rules. (immediate merciless depot killing at the start of the map) and b: claims that since the campaign was already won, the bulk of team Axis "lost interest".  So... by the time map 7 or 8 rolls around, I really don't see the bulk of team Axis caring if the Allies get a few extra equalizers.  Well, except for those who don't like their baby seals being a bit more club-resistant.  Then we'll find out that Allied planes run on salt. 

 

The G-14 might be a drag racer that has a high top speed and acceleration, but it really can't turn as well as earlier models.  The airframe that had superior performance for the E and F is too bloated with "moar powaa!" at the cost of weight and fast became unsuitable.  There's a reason why the 109 E had around 750 horsepower but ruled the sky over planes with substantially more horsepower and the 109 F wasn't much heavier or more powerful, but was renowned as an "If you see one, your best bet is to run or immediately bail out" fighter.  Consider if you will, a gazelle.  Its skeleton is exactly the right frame to be light, fast and agile. But, if you add rhino bulk to said frame, it becomes something that while able to perform burst feats of strength, really only provides extra hamburger per animal.  What's that you say?  G-14 burgers come pre-salted!  Excellent! :cool:

 

The Spitfire Mk. IX while not having the straight-line speed is still pretty close. Add to it that it CAN turn fight.   While the Germans were basically adding more - and simultaneously sacrificing more - to the 109, the British had an airframe that was still able to be improved and refined with each "con" being rather insignificant to the "pro" that was added.  

 

 

Hey,

 

G-14 most certainly can turn fight, and having a very powerful, 10 min (+ 10 + around 5) WEP instead of earlier 109's less powerful 1 minute boost is a major improvement. Early 109s and 190s cant outturn many of their opponents either, and they're still very competitive fighters. G-14 is basically a more boosted up G-6 and the G-6 itself isnt all that hopeless turner.

 

I feel most people fly TAW not for map wins but for the teamwork, the dynamic campaign itself and the thrill of multiplayer between more or less organized groups of human players.

 

About the baby seals... Yeah well, in the top 20 in K/D and wins/losses half are red, and blues just lost by running out of pilots. Maybe red fighters arent all that inferior after all, especially considering TAW isnt just fighters vs. fighters. ;) Unfortunately GK/d and tank kills/d are much more difficult to track and naturally sample size in pilots could be larger.

 

Re donations, thanks for reminding me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I think about it....

 

TAW is based on "winning the most matches wins the campaign".  That's all well and good, but it's also trying to be historical.  The point being that balancing for history - when the history is that the LW had V-VS on the back foot for most of the war - will have a higher likelihood of following history. The LW holds advantage for more that 50% of the time then the VV-S gets updated and can manufacture in larger numbers and pushes back hard.  Is it possible that for there to be a truly competitive setup for TAW from map 1, then history shouldn't be figured in? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I very specifically chose the Mig 3 and the F4, actually. This match up was considered acceptable when the plane sets were worked out. Never mind that the Mig is in no way a credible counter to the F4. There wasn't much uproar over that, except from the people who had to fly the Mig. This isn't some hypothetical or comparison of two planes that were designed to fill different tactical roles a'la the Stuka and IL 2. These are two planes that fill the same role and will necessarily counter one another. If it is good for the goose it must be good for the gander, as they say.

 

And if, as it is claimed, there are very few people who play on the server who even have access to these planes why would it be so terrible to add them in? Are there only a set number of plane types that can be on the server at any one time? No, you can have all the planes in the game available at the same time. Will they suddenly flood a map with these super elite planes that the Germans can't counter? No, there aren't enough players with access to them and the difference between the Allied fighters and the BOS and BOK German fighters isn't such that they could just roll over them. Really all that would happen is a little more variety would be injected into the game. The only reason I can see, from a game play perspective, not to add them is that you don't want to fight better equipped opponents.

 

The problem with balancing for history, Mobile, is there is a lot of history that is outside of the scope of the game. Manufacturing defects and maintenance short falls, numbers differences that if enforced would cause a group of players to go into a tissy, a lack of influential planes that shaped some of the battles like the Yak 9 and so on. Plus if history is balanced for it would likely mean deciding the outcome before the thing has started, and where is the fun in that. Also the Soviet air force wasn't 'on the back foot.' As soon as things bogged down in Stalingrad, about the mid point of the war in the East, the Soviets began gaining ground both in the air and on the ground. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, IKraft said:

How long does it usually take for a new campaign to start?

 

Since time is a relative concept, anywhere between now and the heat death of the universe is a good guess.

 

But usually it is a few weeks to a months. But it will feel like an eternity.... 

Edited by Cpt_Siddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Especially since I just returned, and basically missed 3/4th of the Campaign. I was hoping for one to start now - in 4 weeks I'll be gone again... 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, =LG=Leutnant_Artur said:

Oh boy so many donators, thanks guys ! ;) I think we must figure out something special for you 🤔

 

Just a proposal:

 

start it in coming 1..2 weeks that we can donate it again!

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm practicing up in a bunch of planes I haven't flown much. So far I've only gotten competent with the I-16, MiG-3 and *maybe* the Il-2 (I can take off, land, and kill things in those ones). My goal is to be sufficiently familiar with the planes to be able to fly them without being a burden on the team lol. 

So hopefully I can sign up for next TAW! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2018 at 4:04 AM, Carl_infar said:

If you are so bored you can go and fly WOL insted of complaining that you was to bored to concentrate on objectives and win ;)

 

 

Myself and a lot of TAW regulars did just that. Once we lost the campaign I stopped at map 5. Became a pointless slog.

I would be interested in seeing if there was a RED side public player surge or if TAW regulars really did just wait for the late war aircraft. If it was that the Red squadrons waited I will be disappointed. The early war is a lot of fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2018 at 1:04 PM, Carl_infar said:

If you are so bored you can go and fly WOL insted of complaining that you was to bored to concentrate on objectives and win ;)

 

 

First of all, I don't understand this derogatory tone towards the WOL, when there is no TAW it is the most visited server, and the administrators provide us with fun of very good quality and throughout the year.
Secondly, personally I only have the BOS and the BOM and it's the maps of the beginning that I like the most, the last maps because I don't have the BOK, the possibilities are reduced for me drastically, so much so that in the last map, I only have one fighter available, one bomber and one attack plane. If including BOB planes means eliminating Moscow or Stalingrad planes, I think the last maps will be flown by a lot fewer people than before.
I know the developers want us to buy the new products, and I assure you it's not for lack of desire, but we can't always have what we would like.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2018 at 7:15 PM, 1./JG42flesch said:

Hi Kathon,

 

please look at the Stats an Ban the Pilot Schuck for shot down an Friendly Pilot.

THX Flesch

https://screenshots.firefox.com/6b9h8X6QRP5KVhal/taw-server.de

 

Ha ha ha, hilarious.....

 

Check out your own stats, you also managed to shoot down a friendly.

And have been killed 41 times, with the loss of 97 aircraft, who's side were you on?

People in glass houses......

 

Anyone who knows me, will now i'm not that kind of person, a genuine mistake.

 

 

NB, and the first time i've done it.

 

Edited by JG5_Schuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know you both and can assure you flesch that Shuck is a good guy and he certainly did not do it on purpose. Like he said ... an honest mistake. Hope you can forgive and forget :)

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

W

12 hours ago, JG5_Schuck said:

 

Ha ha ha, hilarious.....

 

Anyone who knows me, will now i'm not that kind of person, a genuine mistake.

 

 

NB, and the first time i've done it.

 

 

When I read the whole post, the first thing I thought was "is it 110 or Pe-2?"   Lo and behold, I looked at the screenshot and it was the classic "110 or Pe2?" mistake.  

I did the same thing.  I was lucky enough to not get a friendly plane kill of off it, but I did waste BOTH rear gunners on that poor Peshka.  Also, having flown the Pe2 a lot during the last TAW I've had my fair share of incoming friendly fire.  

 

It all comes down to practicing target ID, and I'm sure it's a mistake most pilots only make once.  However, I'm sure there's a rather large club of pilots who have.  :blink:  

 

 

Nevermind - I misread the stats on the screenshot.  :blink::blink: 

Edited by Mobile_BBQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello. New here. Why is server down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...