=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

On 7/18/2018 at 2:23 AM, Operatsiya_Ivy said:

Who won this campaign? I think nobody did, because all TAW campaigns since the new system got implemented were boring.  

9 hours ago, ECV56_Chimango said:

Defending depots it's almost impossible as we can all agree, but also and most important, probably the most boring and uninteresting task to do...i don´t think many would like to put so much attention in 1 hour CAP every time. Let's hope next edition doesn´t focus on this so much and finds a balance between depots and tank columns.

Maybe it's boring if you are fighter pilot. For bomber it certainly was not. And while I understand that we are all doing this for fun it's also good to remember that fighters exist to a) shoot down enemy bombers and b) protect own bombers for enemy fighters, not to go into thrilling dogfights against enemy fighters.

And I am not saying that this was optimal. Some tweakig at least would be good. But from my perspective it was not boring. There was a good reason for long bombing trips to enemy depots and feeling that by doing so you are actually affecting something.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, LLv44_Mprhead said:

Maybe it's boring if you are fighter pilot. For bomber it certainly was not.

Fighter pilot? I'm a multirole pilot  just like most of our 666°GIAP squad -more experienced in fighter and sturmo role as you can check on our performance, but we can level bomb too-  and yet, defending the main depots -rear of the map- is the most dull task for any of us, specially under current graphic engine where you can not spot an enemy plane beyond 9/10km,  so any useful interceptions before they drop bombs is very rare leaving you with the fact that it was too much waste of time for nothing but a meaningless kill.

So again i share the opinion of most people through the last 5 pages:  i hope depots importance are less critical next campaign, or at least more balanced between them and tank columns spawning, so we don´t reach that "point of no return" so fast.  We love TAW and want to make it interesting...and last 2 editions were not as good as other. I remember 11th edition was great. Each map fought hard to the end, with balanced quorums al edition, and a final outcome of 4-3 to red and almost a final draw cause LW came close to win last map. You know why? teams were balanced all edition, and both sides had good squads joined also by lone wolves willing to accomplish useful tasks.

2 hours ago, LLv44_Mprhead said:

And while I understand that we are all doing this for fun it's also good to remember that fighters exist to a) shoot down enemy bombers and b) protect own bombers for enemy fighters, not to go into thrilling dogfights against enemy fighters.

Thanks for explaining to us the reasons behind the existence of fighters; for the last 12 years i've been blind till now, thanks for  your enlightened discovery :rofl: But if you think those are the only two roles for fighters in TAW, you are kind of clueless my friend...and also funnily contradictory, cause you say fighters are not for "going into dogfights against enemy fighters"...really? And what do you think a fighter protects his friendly bomber from? And also, have you ever heard the term "Fighter sweep" or "Freig Jagd"?  See, you miss a lot...not to mention helping attack planes with AAA in tank columns, or doing recon missions like the ones against hidden supply columns, etc. You don´t seem to know much about fighter deployment.

Edited by ECV56_Chimango
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, LLv44_Mprhead said:

Maybe it's boring if you are fighter pilot. For bomber it certainly was not. And while I understand that we are all doing this for fun it's also good to remember that fighters exist to a) shoot down enemy bombers and b) protect own bombers for enemy fighters, not to go into thrilling dogfights against enemy fighters.

You misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about how much fun each sortie is but how boring the campaign on a broad spectrum was. A quick 6-0 is not really exciting is it?.

45 minutes ago, Operatsiya_Ivy said:

You misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about how much fun each sortie is but how boring the campaign on a broad spectrum was. A quick 6-0 is not really exciting is it?.

Okey, yes. This I agree on.

3 hours ago, ECV56_Chimango said:

where you can not spot an enemy plane beyond 9/10km,  s

Totally agree on this really needs to be fixed . ~The rendering is way out i don`t even think we are picking up airframes at that distance also ground targets . seem to disappear then reappear .  You def need a wingman to fly with in this game . 

5 hours ago, ECV56_Chimango said:

Fighter pilot? I'm a multirole pilot  just like most of our 666°GIAP squad -more experienced in fighter and sturmo role as you can check on our performance, but we can level bomb too-  and yet, defending the main depots -rear of the map- is the most dull task for any of us, specially under current graphic engine where you can not spot an enemy plane beyond 9/10km,  so any useful interceptions before they drop bombs is very rare leaving you with the fact that it was too much waste of time for nothing but a meaningless kill.

If you are so bored you can go and fly WOL insted of complaining that you was to bored to concentrate on objectives and win ;)

anyway maybe i'm getting old but in real life flying with mark 1 eyball at ranges of beyond the 10 -12 km i can only spot big jets(which are much bigger than the 2win engine bombers in il2) and only viewed from above or below them . Except of course the aircraft that are contrailing where the contrials can be seen from  further away.

The small single engine  GA planes (most of them in white livery which is contrasting to the  most ground colors and not painted in camos) are for me impossible to see byond that range and much more often much closer depending on weather, contrast to the background (sky, clouds or ground), their relative position (above, bleow, same alt...)  

In the game the view range is more or less realistic (meybe could be only slightly better) in my opinion with contrails visible from bigger distance than those 10 km.

Edited by Carl_infar
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I live but 4 kilometers by the crow flies from a small acrobatics airfield and often  sit outside with a beer and watch them practice Baring in mind 4 k I find it hard to spot them most of the time regardless of the time of day  so spotting aircraft at 10 k in my mind would be near impossible in the real world unless it was a galaxy or such .  

Why are we debating render distance here? There is a proper post in the forum for that. You guys will understand the issue with the spotting distance when me262 comes out I am sure of that :p

1 hour ago, Carl_infar said:

If you are so bored you can go and fly WOL insted of complaining that you was to bored to concentrate on objectives and win ;)

OMG what a straw man you are becoming! 

1 hour ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

Why are we debating render distance here? There is a proper post in the forum for that. You guys will understand the issue with the spotting distance when me262 comes out I am sure of that :p

Nah.  Most will be complaining how the 262 doesn't turn like a 109, how short the flight time is, how vulnerable it is landing and how much work it really takes to get it to top speed.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

Nah.  Most will be complaining how the 262 doesn't turn like a 109, how short the flight time is, how vulnerable it is landing and how much work it really takes to get it to top speed.

"Stupid vulching P-51's just ruin it!  We need to put immunity zones around the Luftwaffe fields to stop this..it just ruins the experience" 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

In this TAW I have flown little, and almost always bomber, I have made many flights to the depots, and I have never been shot down before releasing, even when there were several fighters in the release area (Unoparauno y Navarro por ejemplo jejeje), so if I agree that something has to be done about it.
This is added to the disproportionate importance that the state of the depots has in the dynamics of the columns, making an early attack from either side on the depots, rendering them practically useless, decanting the map to either side.
Once the method has been discovered, either something is changed or the next TAW will be more or less the same, one way or the other.
Trying to balance the number of pilots is very complicated because each one flies at a different time, I think the only solution would be to extend the registration period so that the squadrons could change and balance, although that would not be a guarantee that in many cases there were unbalanced quorums.
In my opinion the main interest of TAW is the excitement, the competitiveness, and the possibility that the work with the squad will have any effect on the development of the campaign. If for one or the other olive tree this disappears, it doesn't matter who wins, the campaign will lose interest.

Edited by HR_Eldamar
  • Upvote 1

It seems to me that coordinated groups have the most impact. Most groups should know at what time of day/timezones they fly. Might I suggest adding this as a selectable option when registering, i.e. 'EU evening' or such, and then showing the numbers grouped in this way in pre-registration, so that we can attempt to actually match numbers all throughout the day?

This, in addition to a longer pre-registration period, could really help balance numbers IMO and avoid the situation when one group is just winning the map by themselves overnight with no opposition. 

Interestingly enough, I don't think we're going to be seeing an end to map #8 anytime soon.  There seems to be enough Axis interest to push back against the Allied advance, and enough Allied presence at times to deliver the death stroke, but it doesn't seem to happen.  I think people on both sides don't want TAW to be over so soon for fear it won't return.  Also, I think that quite a few pilots would rather play the "risk vs. reward" style of TAW than the "CallofAirplanes" style of other servers. 

The Campaign may have been a win for Axis, but the after party could possibly be something worth keeping an eye on...

• Like 1

Well I would love to be able to get into TAW to help, but after this wonderful patch, every time I give him to create the plane, either in online or offline the game is closed and he sends me to the desk. I don't know if it happens to anyone else.

13 hours ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

Interestingly enough, I don't think we're going to be seeing an end to map #8 anytime soon.  There seems to be enough Axis interest to push back against the Allied advance, and enough Allied presence at times to deliver the death stroke, but it doesn't seem to happen.  I think people on both sides don't want TAW to be over so soon for fear it won't return.  Also, I think that quite a few pilots would rather play the "risk vs. reward" style of TAW than the "CallofAirplanes" style of other servers. 

The Campaign may have been a win for Axis, but the after party could possibly be something worth keeping an eye on...

Many of yesterdays missions were basically searching for a fight. The blue fighters tried to avoid a decisive fight for the most part. We tried to force them into one but it ended up in a game of chicken. Kinda boring. I hope it ends soon.

Btw: The Ship/warehouse mechanic deserves a look as well. Those things are there for one single mission and impact the campaign pretty decently. But one mission to destroy a target of the size of 2-4 depots is a bit much to ask for. The attacking team has basically to drop everything else. And if the server isn't populated nobody has the chance to do anything about it.

6 hours ago, =FEW=Hauggy said:

This was legit the worst TAW campaign ever.

says the one who flown something like 7 hours only during all 8 maps of current campaign.

TAW team as for me thank You very much for Your efforts and  yet again superb fun which I had like during all other campaigns.

Edited by Carl_infar
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, III./ZG1_Angus said:

Data transmission error

Server is up again now.

10 hours ago, Carl_infar said:

says the one who flown something like 7 hours only during all 8 maps of current campaign.

And you don't think there could be a reason for that? xD What do you expect? Are only those who fly a ton, i.e. those having fun, allowed to voice displeasure with the last campaign?  Also a way to avoid criticism, lol.

Edited by JG4_Etherlight
  • Upvote 2

Maybe this has been covered earlier but just in case; weather is a bit funny with this last map. Temperatures should really not be much under 0 degrees even in winter time in that area and more interestingly we now can have - 21 degree temperature and rain. At least here in Finland if the temperature is that cold, it does not rain... or maybe to be more precise there is no snowfall. There should really be nothing dropping from sky and certainly not water at those temperatures (well maybe planes).

33 minutes ago, SYN_Repent said:

How do I report a intentional disconnect? 

Hello SYN_Repent,

not always a disconnect intention. in Germany, we have every 24 hours disconnect by the provider. 

but many thanks to the players who wanted to ban me from the server. (SYN_Repent, Atochi,RamaWiLL,Sabre111,TACC, 72AG_TARANTUL, Gaps)

as a server operator, I am very happy if the guests want to ban the TAW Admin.

today connected since 22.07.2018, 16:46 clock

providerA.thumb.PNG.5e208bb7a344670e28a1e65899927659.PNG

router disconnected  last days 

providerB.thumb.PNG.75dcc5a1020a114eae6709191594aaad.PNG

further discussions are not necessary😎

• Like 3

It wasn’t you I was talking about raven, don’t worry, this guy disconnected after going into the 190 spin, he was going to crash, and disconnected 

• Thanks 1

@StG2_Raven, in case you didn't know yet. 

You can manually change the time for the 24h disconnect,in the settings of the Fritzbox, so it doesn't bother you during primetime, anymore. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jizzo said:

@StG2_Raven, in case you didn't know yet. 

You can manually change the time for the 24h disconnect,in the settings of the Fritzbox, so it doesn't bother you during primetime, anymore. 

Thank you. It is known to me. In fritz os 6.93 the option is missing. Is a bug. Will be fixed with the upcoming os 7.

Oh boy, maybe I'm the only one who is of this opinion, but THIS LAST MAP ROCKS!

- I [edited] like the matchup

- Great job from the LW to come back from 2 bases back to 5 (at a certain point)

- this weekend (21 - 22 July), we had overal great balance in numbers

I really need TAW to stop, I need my social life back. I really need my real life back. I really need my life ... I really need ...

[edited], TAW IS LOVE TAW IS LIFE WOOOOOOOT!!!

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, SYN_Repent said:

It wasn’t you I was talking about raven, don’t worry, this guy disconnected after going into the 190 spin, he was going to crash, and disconnected 

Ok, fine.

Basically, it is not forbidden, just like the shooting on the parachutes. Both actions are not welcome. Only when a pilot is very many disco's and this is proven by a track and the stats. Only then can we react.

Edited by StG2_Raven

21 hours ago, =FSB=HandyNasty said:

- Great job from the LW to come back from 2 bases back to 5 (at a certain point)

I really need TAW to stop, I need my social life back. I really need my real life back. I really need my life ... I really need ...

[edited] , TAW IS LOVE TAW IS LIFE WOOOOOOOT!!!

I agree 100%, it’s been great!

Edited by SYN_Haashashin

21 hours ago, =FSB=HandyNasty said:

[edited] , TAW IS LOVE TAW IS LIFE WOOOOOOOT!!!

I come for the party but, I STAY for the after-party!!!  :cool:

Edited by SYN_Haashashin

Hi pilots!

I will join this server when I get more experience, now I am very noob and I will harm my team too much but i have one question:

Is BoK needed in order to play in this server?

52 minutes ago, Al-Azraq said:

Hi pilots!

I will join this server when I get more experience, now I am very noob and I will harm my team too much but i have one question:

Is BoK needed in order to play in this server?

Nope, not necessary, but you might miss some of the planes from BOK. In MP you have always access to all maps - even if you don't

have bought the specific one (f.ex. Kuban) - as for the planes you can only access the ones you have in your collection.

Cheerio

37 minutes ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

Nope, not necessary, but you might miss some of the planes from BOK. In MP you have always access to all maps - even if you don't

have bought the specific one (f.ex. Kuban) - as for the planes you can only access the ones you have in your collection.

Cheerio

Thanks for the reply!

So what about if I don't own any of the planes available under my profile?

chrome_2018-07-23_14-22-38.jpg.0ca4a161406db993c6cdee890d737ba0.jpg

1 minute ago, Al-Azraq said:

Thanks for the reply!

Well, in this case you won't be able to fly as a pilot, but you may fly as a gunner (if position is not locked!)

Just now, -IRRE-Therion said:

Well, in this case you won't be able to fly as a pilot, but you may fly as a gunner (if position is not locked!)

Gunner positions are locked.

To fly all missions on TAW you will need BoM, BoS, BoK and Battle of Bodenplatte in the future. Otherwise you are very limited on some maps.

5 minutes ago, Al-Azraq said:

Thanks for the reply!

I think that with BoS you would have pe-2 87 and il-2 1942 model available in last map but I am not sure if you would have anything to fly with during the first 2 maps?

• Upvote 1

Well, on TAW it depends actually on the settlement of a battle. Some battles will require nearly all of the modules, but on some battles you

will be able to join with only BOS as stated by LLv44_Mprhead. Didn't know that gunner position were locked on TAW, it depends on the

server administrators settings. But theoretically you can use gunner positions on MP servers, although it has been reported, that some

really "funny" ones used these gunner positions to ruin the combat by shooting willingly at friendlies.

But, sure, only fitted with BOS you will be very limited joining battles on TAW. Sorry for you, mate.

1 hour ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

1 hour ago, Operatsiya_Ivy said:

Gunner positions are locked.

To fly all missions on TAW you will need BoM, BoS, BoK and Battle of Bodenplatte in the future. Otherwise you are very limited on some maps.

1 hour ago, LLv44_Mprhead said:

I think that with BoS you would have pe-2 87 and il-2 1942 model available in last map but I am not sure if you would have anything to fly with during the first 2 maps?

43 minutes ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

Well, on TAW it depends actually on the settlement of a battle. Some battles will require nearly all of the modules, but on some battles you

will be able to join with only BOS as stated by LLv44_Mprhead. Didn't know that gunner position were locked on TAW, it depends on the

server administrators settings. But theoretically you can use gunner positions on MP servers, although it has been reported, that some

really "funny" ones used these gunner positions to ruin the combat by shooting willingly at friendlies.

But, sure, only fitted with BOS you will be very limited joining battles on TAW. Sorry for you, mate.

Thanks mates! I totally understand, game has to be as historically accurate as possible so for now I will play in WoL and Berluga to get better at the game. Then I will join TAW with the planes I have available (maybe in the Herman side I have more). But, most likely I will get BoK next month and BoP more down the road as I am pouring many hours into the game and I absolutely love it so my money will pay off.

I own BoS and BoM by the way.