=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

But i saw into my Stats this morning that i did not lost any P40 ?

DkMYh7M.jpg

Is it a bug ? because we are not in Christmas day ?

You ditched so your plane was "repaired" after 3 next missions. 

People are looking to put in constructive criticism and have every right to voice their concerns.

Not everyone has the time to be on the server 24/7 and just want to quickly jump on and contribute to the so-called war effort with the little time they have outside of work/family. Treating this like a war simulator is not the way to go, it is simply a competitive game where everybody is trying to have fun.

Agreed that we should not be calling anything childish but let's let the discussion continue and find common ground between those who are for and against.

+1

Couple questions regarding map play ----

1.  Yesterday we destroyed enough tanks so the Icon on the map disappeared.  We ended up flying back to the same location and there were at least 6 (?) more tanks still where the icon used to be.  We destroyed them just in case.  When the map rolled, all the tanks were destroyed... would the tanks have continued pressing on if we didn't kill the remaining 6 that no longer were identified on the map?  If so, why the behavior of the icon being removed before total destruction?

2.  We attacked the Defense target also, and we were only able to kill the "AAA" and "AT" and trucks at the target.  IT was enough to remove the icon; however, there were lots of ammo dumps, dugouts, and fuel storage that were not destructable with ordnance (50sv's, RS-132 rockets).  Is this the intent?  one ordnance rack under a mesh tent took 2 50svs and 2 RS-132s and still didn't pop.   Is it possible the hardness is set too high, or are these items not destructible?

2.  We attacked the Defense target also, and we were only able to kill the "AAA" and "AT" and trucks at the target.  IT was enough to remove the icon; however, there were lots of ammo dumps, dugouts, and fuel storage that were not destructable with ordnance (50sv's, RS-132 rockets).  Is this the intent?  one ordnance rack under a mesh tent took 2 50svs and 2 RS-132s and still didn't pop.   Is it possible the hardness is set too high, or are these items not destructible?

I've attacked those same targets on the other side. Even 500kgs don't do much against those bunkers. I've started ignoring them now and going straight for the AA/Camo nets. Then strafing the remaining guns. 

Are admins aware that AA shoots at parachutes? Happened to me and another pilot last night. 

As an aside, wonder what people's thoughts are on Il-2s being used as straight fighter cover over their defensive positions? It seems red pilots who have lost all their fighters just jump in Il-2s and circle over target waiting for a slow stuka to arrive. From what I gather the intent of having unlimited ground attack planes is so that people continue to 'move' the front line without it becoming a WoL TDM. Obviously a stuka doing this over it's own targets is much less effective. 

Edited by StG77_Kondor

Are admins aware that AA shoots at parachutes? Happened to me and another pilot last night. 

As an aside, wonder what people's thoughts are on Il-2s being used as straight fighter cover over their defensive positions? It seems red pilots who have lost all their fighters just jump in Il-2s and circle over target waiting for a slow stuka to arrive. From what I gather the intent of having unlimited ground attack planes is so that people continue to 'move' the front line without it becoming a WoL TDM. Obviously a stuka doing this over it's own targets is much less effective. 

Pand' timestamp='1470146323' post='374403'] 2.  We attacked the Defense target also, and we were only able to kill the "AAA" and "AT" and trucks at the target.  IT was enough to remove the icon; however, there were lots of ammo dumps, dugouts, and fuel storage that were not destructable with ordnance (50sv's, RS-132 rockets).  Is this the intent?  one ordnance rack under a mesh tent took 2 50svs and 2 RS-132s and still didn't pop.   Is it possible the hardness is set too high, or are these items not destructible?

1. Planeset will change, we noticed some exploits often used by players.

This is a small part of the new one. Treat it as a proposition. Its not accepted yet.

Basic planes supplied after each mission so you will all have a ride to drive in every mission.

No gunpods for G-2s in basic set. No heavy bombs as well.

No more unlimited Il-2s with 23/37mm all the time. No more 1hit-kill for LaGG drivers in basic section.

The bigger picture of the planeset will be available as soon as we accept a new one. 

90% of the unlocks will be available in EXTRA planeset. 

DcybBoj.jpg

2. To kill a defence like you need to kill the AAA and ATGuns. Dont bother yourself with killing bunkers. ;)

Edited by =LG=Blakhart

You ditched so your plane was "repaired" after 3 next missions. 

Understand ! Thank you for your answer. 

And thank you also to my engineers who quickly repaired my plane. They won a bottle of Vodka.

Actually, this is a problem on both sides. Slow, heavy Il-2s are easy pickings for Stukas with 37mm, and I've encountered Kanonenvogel covering targets a number of times.

I agree neither is probably in line with the intent behind unlimited ground attack planes.

Sounds like the admins have some changes in mind that will alleviate this.

Edited by 19.G//curiousGamblerr

Thank you for the news Blakhart. Looking forward to changes. Very happy that new things are being tried, and the server is never content with just leaving things as they are because it's the easier thing to do. 

Actually, this is a problem on both sides. Slow, heavy Il-2s are easy pickings for Stukas with 37mm, and I've encountered Kanonenvogel covering targets a number of times.

I agree neither is probably in line with the intent behind unlimited ground attack planes.

Sounds like the admins have some changes in mind that will alleviate this.

Sucks that people are abusing it, I mean it is a public war in a public server. Which has it's pros and cons. 

But regarding the Stukas with 37mm, after one circle the Il-2 should be squarely behind him. Stuka (with 37mm) will lose speed faster, and will take longer to accelerate so if the Il-2 gets in trouble, it can just run away from the Stuka :)

Hello!

I tried to register on the TAW site but it said my name is already in use.  I didn't get any message, though It is possible that I've joined the server a month ago so perhaps it has been erased. Could I get the password somehow? Thank you.

Hello!

I tried to register on the TAW site but it said my name is already in use.  I didn't get any message, though It is possible that I've joined the server a month ago so perhaps it has been erased. Could I get the password somehow? Thank you.

Look here. Probably same thing

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/21029-tactical-air-war/page-21?do=findComment&comment=373801

• Upvote 1

This is a small part of the new one. Treat it as a proposition. Its not accepted yet.

Basic planes supplied after each mission so you will all have a ride to drive in every mission.

No more unlimited Il-2s with 23/37mm all the time. No more 1hit-kill for LaGG drivers in basic section.

The bigger picture of the planeset will be available as soon as we accept a new one. 

DcybBoj.jpg

2. To kill a defence like you need to kill the AAA and ATGuns. Dont bother yourself with killing bunkers. ;)

Can G2 please keep the wing cannons? I almost wouldnt mind if the Lagg kept it's 23mm in exchange.

• Upvote 1

It would be logical to first fill line BOS aircraft, then BOM. I have a full line of BOM aircraft. BOM I do not like half of the pilots. I can not use them.

Thanks Blakhart!  So for the Defense only the AAA and AT are destructible.  Will someone compile a list of what equipment is able to be destroyed for each type of target, so we know what not to waste our bombs/rockets on?

Thanks!

Can G2 please keep the wing cannons? I almost wouldnt mind if the Lagg kept it's 23mm in exchange.

You will have a chance to unlock LaGG3 with 23 mm or 109 G-2 with pods by collecting the points.

I think everyone of you found that making 5 combat missions is boring and hard to do, so the basic planes will be just the worst crap available in the campaign to motivate people for collecting the points and unlocking the new planes.

However we would like to give a chance to fly to everyone, even for the beginners who die/crash alomst on every mission so the plan is to resuply the basic planes after EVERY mission so you will always have something in hangar.

It would be logical to first fill line BOS aircraft, then BOM. I have a full line of BOM aircraft. BOM I do not like half of the pilots. I can not use them.

Its hard to keep the balance with that ;/ 

However more people have BoS so the most of the basic planes will be from BoS.

Edited by =LG=Blakhart

Is not because I fly on axis side. Next  Taw i will fly red side. But cmon, I understand sc2500 or 1800 were not allaw but sc1000?. He 111 is limited only to level bombing. in the rest of things is worse than P2. P2 can do a lot more things. Is similar than a ju88 but 88 is only in BOM. If you forbide SC1000, the only advantage of the He111...

Edited by E69_geramos109

Is not because I fly on axis side. Next  Taw i will fly red side. But cmon, I understand sc2500 or 1800 were not allaw but sc1000?. He 111 is limited only to level bombing. in the rest of things is worse than P2. P2 can do a lot more things. Is similar than a ju88 but 88 is only in BOM. If you forbide SC1000, the only advantage of the He111...

he 111 will have SC1000 but not in basic section :) 

Edited by =LG=Blakhart

Small thing I've noticed today, every missions starts either at 11:00 or 14:00 

Is there something preventing starting at more various times of the day ?

DcybBoj.jpg

The 5 flights rule will be maintained? If so, 5 is far too much. When we are flying in squadron we can't take same plane quickly and many guys prefer quit if no choice execpt Stuka ...

Small thing I've noticed today, every missions starts either at 11:00 or 14:00 

Is there something preventing starting at more various times of the day ?

I would love to see some early morning/evening missions :)

what you thing about this:

I have a suggestion about the equipment of the aircraft. Leads to a lot of disputes, what is the arm to enable or disable. My proposal is: Each map has a date and time. So it should be done historically. For example, the IL2 started to be assembled improvised gunners from August 1942. PE 2 87 had the Blister turet from June 1942. May allow improvements to the aircraft according to the dates. It will be historically correct. I know this takes a lot of time to find out when what started use. But it will be correct of historically correct, and no one will get angry. It is historically facts.
The war starts for example in January 1942 so the aircraft will have other equipment, such as in 1943. According to me then will be seen as a changing force on the battlefield. And both sides with it will have to be able to fight with this changes situations.

DcybBoj.jpg

Why did you decided the "base fighter planes" should be a 109G2 and a Lagg3? Did you just chose two random planes? Why not based on history? Since, we're talking about history, then it should be the 109E7 and the I16 as those were the earliest planes in the war, that we have available to fly. I get that people don't have the Battle of Moscow DLC, so you couldn't go that route. 

Did you decide to make the base fighter planes based on sheer numbers during the war? Then, it should be the 109G2s and the Yak1, as there were more Yaks than Laggs built (and more Yaks than 109s built too). Both planes are in the Battle of Stalingrad planeset, and the Yak doesn't have the 23mm/37mm cannons. It can also perform well against the superior BF109 series fighters. I suggest allowing the 109G2 to keep it's gunpods and change the starting plane on the Russian side to Yaks.

Why did you decided the "base fighter planes" should be a 109G2 and a Lagg3? Did you just chose two random planes? Why not based on history? Since, we're talking about history, then it should be the 109E7 and the I16 as those were the earliest planes in the war, that we have available to fly. I get that people don't have the Battle of Moscow DLC, so you couldn't go that route. 

Did you decide to make the base fighter planes based on sheer numbers during the war? Then, it should be the 109G2s and the Yak1, as there were more Yaks than Laggs built (and more Yaks than 109s built too). Both planes are in the Battle of Stalingrad planeset, and the Yak doesn't have the 23mm/37mm cannons. It can also perform well against the superior BF109 series fighters. I suggest allowing the 109G2 to keep it's gunpods and change the starting plane on the Russian side to Yaks.

Grinds-my-Gears.jpg

• Upvote 2

Expand the airports! Map of hostilities should be more !! I'm tired of one and the same situation, as soon as the battle begins once the opponent jumps at their base. In the evening, when many people, the server turns into a dog fight!

1. Read about the principle factors in poll topic:"My perfect planeset for TAW".

2. Watch caerfully what year is described in the middle-top of the screen-picture.

3. Read, check and analyze before shooting with the questions.

Cheers :)

This morning I flew my combat missions 4 and 5 but gained no plane after that... I guess I would have a LaGG3?!

I think it would be interesting to implement additional supply convoys, that if destroyed limit the ordnance available for selection on certain aircraft.

Example... the supply convoy is destroyed and therefore couldn't deliver the next supply of 500KG bombs (or 250kg) so the attackers may only carry 100kg Maximum... similar effects with gunpods, 23mm, ability for fighters to carry ordnance, etc.

Just a thought!

Loving how this server is developing!  :salute

• Upvote 1

I was going to wait for a response to my question above but I think I know this is occurring from observations last night.  First let me say that I really enjoy flying on the server.  Do I agree with everything TAW does?  Of course not, but there is a lot that is very well done.  I hope my suggestion below is taken the way it is meant, with the intent to make the server better.

Why transport aircraft capture of airfields should be changed.

1.  This did not occur on the Eastern Front.  Yes, the Germans did this in the early part of the war on a very limited basis but stopped after large losses of men and material.  Capture of enemy airfields on the Eastern Front was carried out by ground units.

2.  One of the major reasons for stopping these operations during the real war was the large number of losses in transport aircraft.  This is not reflected in TAW as the number of transports is unlimited.  So wave after wave can descend on an airfield and, regardless of the number of aircraft shot down, etc., there are still an unlimited number available.  This is hardly realistic under any circumstances.

3.  With the sides unbalanced at certain times of day up to 20+ to 1 (what it was earlier), it is too easy to capture an airfield and move the front, especially in light of the unlimited transports available.  This should be a major concern considering all the discussion of unbalance sides.

4.  One of the main reasons transport aircraft capture of airfields exists in TAW is that a poll was taken and the majority of people voted “Yes”.  Unfortunately, polls are not reflective of history and IMO, on something as historically questionable as this, polls should not be a determining factor.  If polls are going to drive TAW there could be some very odd things that might exist.  It would be interesting to see a brake down of the responses.  Are the “Yes” votes mainly flying for one side or about evenly split?

5.  Last but very important.  TAW does not allow transport aircraft to resupply friendly airfields.  This is ironic as this was one of the most important uses of transport aircraft on the Eastern Front.  If implemented in TAW a transport aircraft resupply could reestablish ability to support aircraft operations at an airfield and also rebuild or enhance AAA as well.  With the coming addition of the Ju-52 these sorties could be very fun.  The numbers however should be limited.

In conclusion, I would recommend scrapping the capture of airfields by transports as it did not happen on the Eastern Front and was seldom used elsewhere.  It is also a major concern when the maps are totally lopsided during certain times of the day.  Also, from what I witnessed last night, in my opinion it had “arcade” written all over it.  I would further recommend that transport aircraft be changed to allow resupply of and enhancement to friendly airfields as was historically done.  Each transport sortie to resupply a friendly airfield should count as a combat mission regardless of length of flight time.

If you decided to retain transport capture of airfields I hope you make changes to the concept so this can only be used on an exceptional basis by limiting transports available for such a purpose or other such parameters as well as add separately designated transport aircraft for resupply of friendly airfields.

Thanks for reading this and thanks for the server.

Cheers!

Edited by 12.OIAE_Stick-95

Salute Gents!

I implemented some monitoring that pulls pilot data from the more popular IL-2 Server for activity trending.

IL-2 Server Overview and Activity Trending

The data collected includes:

1.  Server Total Pilots

2.  Server German Pilots

3.  Server Russian Pilots

The data points are pulled every 5 minutes, and the charts are updated every 15 minutes.  All times on the charts are USA Eastern Time (UTC -5:00)

The first set of charts is the Server Overview, which includes the total number of pilots compared against all other tracked servers.  These charts show the data points collected for the last 24 hours, 3 days, 7 days, and 28 days.

The following sets of charts are for each specifically tracked server that includes the total number of German and Russian pilots in addition to the total number of pilots connected.  These charts show the data points collected for the last 24 hours, 3 days, 7 days, and 28 days.

IL-2 Server Overview and Activity Trending

I hope this data is useful to some of you!  Any questions or feedback, please let me know!  

• Upvote 3

Why transport aircraft capture of airfields should be changed.

If you decided to retain transport capture of airfields I hope you make changes to the concept so this can only be used on an exceptional basis by limiting transports available for such a purpose or other such parameters as well as add transport aircraft resupply of friendly airfields.

Next campaign may see the end of the unlimited aircrafts. Better wait until then.

I like to have the possibilty to capture airfields by air, because even with 8-10 russians vs 20+ germans, the blue tank convoys never last long. 

But I agree that the very uneven population of the server during the day can make this either quite easy or nearly impossible. But remember that airfield needs to be damaged at 76% min and flak reduced to silence. With the time needed to land 7 transports, it will take you more than one mission even if there is almost nobody defending it. So I think that we should keep it as it is now and see what can be improved for the next campaign. 

But tank convoys are just not reliable enough to be alone to capture airfields. Especially as they are static objects in the current game. 

I think that the problem is larger than that, it is that with an online dynamic campaign open 24h a day, no matter the mechanics you put into it, the front line will always be moving the most during the time when there is almost nobody on the server. 

Oh, and I'm all in for the resupply flights on friendly airfields !  :) Though they have to be very restricted in order not to be a game breaker. 

But tank convoys are just not reliable enough to be alone to capture airfields. Especially as they are static objects in the current game.

Not sure why columns in general are static.  Would love to see them moving, as this would make them harder to find and they would run for cover during attack.  If this is a problem maybe there should be more tank columns?

Side note:  Trains!  Where are they?  They were used extensively for supply as well.  I think they should be included for supply purposes BUT should not show as a target on the map.

Both moving columns and trains exist on other servers.

Trains with no showing theirs icons on the map - great idea.

Not sure why columns in general are static.  Would love to see them moving, as this would make them harder to find and they would run for cover during attack.  If this is a problem maybe there should be more tank columns?

Side note:  Trains!  Where are they?  They were used extensively for supply as well.  I think they should be included for supply purposes BUT should not show as a target on the map.

As I understand it, they're placing an icon MCU and tracking it's location and direction, then they place tanks or supply columns based on those coordinates (and then using the icon translator MCU as a marker for all to see).

So, on this single map, they may have recorded about 20-30 icon translators' locations on the map. Then, they randomly generate a tank or vehicle based on those locations (of course there's an algorithm applied that says something like "use these icon translator mcu locations based on the front line". This is the same way PWCG does their ground targets too. It may be hard to implement moving objects based on coordinates as vehicles need waypoints to move too. Even trains need waypoints to move. That means for each of those 20-30 icons they setup, they need to then make 20-30 (or more if the vehicles are to move randomly to different airfields depending on which airfield needs support) waypoints. Double this amount, because both sides use those same 20-30 locations for ground vehicles and the vehicles need to go the other way too. This is only on one single map; already players are asking for more maps! That's a lot of work for a single developer.

When you create a dogfight mission (like on WoL), it's easy to setup four or five objectives and setup waypoints for those objectives. The vehicles will always be going to that same location, no matter what. The front line doesn't move, and there is no randomness to placing vehicles on the map when the map rotates every 2 hours. (Does that make sense?)

A solution around this may be to put area icons around the objectives instead of a single icon marker. This also requires work, but at least you don't have to go in and manually setup multiple waypoints for every coordinate you place for trains, tanks or vehicles. As you can have the algorithm drop a few icon markers about 1-3k around the coordinates to create the area icon and delete the original translator MCU. This way we players only have a general idea of where the ground targets are, instead of an exact location.

OUCJoFv.jpg

Edited by Sketch

Stick, check your box, its full, I cant contact with you :( .

Pand. Thx, raw data is always welcome.

Gruber. We noticed issue with tank columns and it was already discussed. We just cant change the script immediatly, especially on a working campaign.

About the trains. Wait for the Kathon, He have some ideas ;)

Next campaign may see the end of the unlimited aircrafts. Better wait until then...

Too many limitations is the virus of servers, this disease is killing the DeD server right now ...

Sketch, ZG26 used a similar thing on their server,

And it was awesome having to reccy a zone to find enemy contacts.

Then calling in support depending on the target.

And if the game ever has spotter planes introduced into it, imagine having to 'spot' a enemy before they appear on a map!

Too many limitations is the virus of servers, this disease is killing the DeD server right now ...

Well, if I understand right, with the new system basic planes (fighters and bombers) will be resupplied at each mission change.

Compared to now where a less than average pilot will be stuck flying stuka or Il2 most of his time, I think the new system is not going towards more limitations. Quite the opposite.

I would love to see some early morning/evening missions :)

We too, but there is little problem: AA don't fire in the morning/evening hours. In winter for example  when it isn't dark yet and planes are still clearly seen  AA don't fire at them as AA are blind. It's a bug? Maybe they need searchlights, we will have to test it. Implementing and testing searchlights in convoys and then on airfields, defense, depot etc. will take a time. A lot of time. And as you can see such simple thing like changing mission hour from 14:00 to 16:00 may complex many other things.

Long story short: it's complex ;) Maybe in a future they will be moving.

Edited by =LG=Kathon