=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

I like the idea of limited life on a map for multiple purposes but the worst drawback is that it will lower the number of player in the server during the middle and end of the mission. It can be good in some ways but during western time it will empty the server fast.

I would also guess that there are even less ground attackers then.

It will become TAW - Tactical Astronomy War, with both sides just cruising into their own lines at 9000m disengaging as soon as the first shot is fired.

• Upvote 8

Lol today is my only day with time this week and the server is stuck, thats so unfortunate! (and unfair of course) :cray:

Edited by 216th_Jordan

Can't log on to server 6,40pm Helsinki Time

Off to the locals I go, might fly German Waa, haa, ha

Manu and I have two accounts and I think he was referring to us. First of all, we were not even in TS with any axis guys, we were actually on our own TS (SACG TS3). Second of all, we were only switching sides to help balance the mission which was 40x13 not 14x13 like he said. The mission only started to get balanced long after we were already in our second sortie. We did not know an individual pilot can no longer have two accounts in the campaign that's why we made two of them. Like I said, we were only trying to help cause we do sympathize with the side with less pilots and also understand how frustrating it must be to fly a mission with no opposition. Apparently, people prefer that way for some reason ... Honestly, we dont need to spy on anyones TS in order to shoot them down and thats definitely not how we like to play. Please feel free to delete my red team account as I will no longer be using it and will not try to balance the numbers anymore ... my apologies to those affected.

Cheers

I dont think that Efe spoke of you. There was other names on TS which flew and were on red side in TS but suddenly joined our channel with many pilots for perhaps 5 min. After that they joined back.

Does it sounds like you?  :lol:

Edited by Ehrler
  • Upvote 1

Limited life/lives in fighters

Unlimited in ground attack/bombers

?

In my experience online generally, so not TAW specifically, many fighters die whilst sitting on the direct 6 of a ground attacker, whilst also taking the ground attacker out.

I reckon if that sort of suicidal behaviour could be reduced the dynamic would improve. Penalizing the fighter in that scenario would help that side reduce aircraft wastage, and help generate a greater sense of value in the pilots life. It may also reduce ramming.

It is possible to take out ground attackers without a scratch, I've seen people do it to me in a pe2! They use good angles and patience.

Well said Chief, well said. 

I am exactly of your Opinion. 

Maybe another Suggestion would be to limit Aircraft by Pilot Rank and Multiply Pilot Lives for Ground Pounders, as well as Mods. 

So a Novice Pilot would be limited to "Handmedowns", a Basic Ground Pounder with all the Fun Stuff locked or a Fighter without Options. 

The More you Rise in the Ranks the more you can Upgrade your Planes and the More Planes you can fly. 

This would also apply to Squadrons, so in a Squadron all Pilots would be locked to the same Kind of Rank within a Hirarchy dependent on Achievement. 

So if enough Squadron Points are gained, all Pilots of that Squad can fly the same kind of Aircraft. 

A Low Ranking Squad for example would only be able to fly Stukas with maximum 1000kg Bombload exluding SC-1000, once they rise up, they are allowed to transition to better Aircraft like Ju-88. And the more they Progress the better Planes and Loadouts they are allowed get.

Aircraft loss will result in Lowering of Pilot Rank and thus Reduction of Options. The Amount of Aircraft is unlimited. 

And just to prevent a lot of the Frustration: Every Pilot gets 3 Lives for Free. If he gets killed once, his life can be recovered by flying 8-15 CMs without dieing. 

If you die 3 times in quick successions you start from Scratch. 

Last I heard there were more registered blue pilots than there were red. I find that a simple and likely reason for blue running out of pilots quicker. Skill level, aa effectiveness, planesets and so on would compared to this be fine tuning. Increasing maximum pilots with another 4-500 would again make it worthwile to conquer territory for a win. Though I'm not sure why pilot numbers are such a big issue this round of Taw when it hasn't been before.

In so far as I can tell, the number of pilot deaths is a issue because members of the German team are making it an issue. They don't like the fact that they are losing because they are getting shot from the sky in what amounts to human wave attacks against prepared defenses. A lot of the time they have the number of players to make that tactic a viable means of pushing the line but it is costing them too dearly to be a viable long term strategy. Rather than come up with a way to work around this limitation on their own, as they so often suggest the Soviet team must do when faced with consistent overwhelming odds, they would rather have a rule change so they can win.

Maybe another Suggestion would be to limit Aircraft by Pilot Rank and Multiply Pilot Lives for Ground Pounders, as well as Mods. 

So a Novice Pilot would be limited to "Handmedowns", a Basic Ground Pounder with all the Fun Stuff locked or a Fighter without Options. 

The More you Rise in the Ranks the more you can Upgrade your Planes and the More Planes you can fly. 

This would also apply to Squadrons, so in a Squadron all Pilots would be locked to the same Kind of Rank within a Hirarchy dependent on Achievement. 

So if enough Squadron Points are gained, all Pilots of that Squad can fly the same kind of Aircraft. 

A Low Ranking Squad for example would only be able to fly Stukas with maximum 1000kg Bombload exluding SC-1000, once they rise up, they are allowed to transition to better Aircraft like Ju-88. And the more they Progress the better Planes and Loadouts they are allowed get.

Aircraft loss will result in Lowering of Pilot Rank and thus Reduction of Options. The Amount of Aircraft is unlimited. 

Personally I don't like the idea of having to 'work up' to planes available to you. For example if real life gets in the way and your flying time is even more limited, why should I jump on at Map #5 and have to deal with La's, Yaks, etc in only a 109E7 and Stuka (or I16 vs Fw190)? It negatively affects those who can only play a few hours here and there. Why then, would they bother joining the server if they're going to go up against vastly superior planes, with most assuredly better pilots. 

The 'squadron' element too could be exploited. Why wouldn't the 'best' pilots all join the same squad, and assure themselves that they'll always have the best available plane. While the lone wolfers - or smaller squadrons wont have that luxury. 

I like the idea of having limited lives, not sure if I'd do it for a 24 hour basis or what though. 

Edited by StG77_Kondor
  • Upvote 2

In so far as I can tell, the number of pilot deaths is a issue because members of the German team are making it an issue. They don't like the fact that they are losing because they are getting shot from the sky in what amounts to human wave attacks against prepared defenses. A lot of the time they have the number of players to make that tactic a viable means of pushing the line but it is costing them too dearly to be a viable long term strategy. Rather than come up with a way to work around this limitation on their own, as they so often suggest the Soviet team must do when faced with consistent overwhelming odds, they would rather have a rule change so they can win.

I do appreciate how some veteran red pilots agree that there are a variety of factors as to why blue usually loses. Several of them that are beyond the control of TAW admins (game 'limitations'). Not just a simple "lol git gud". 

One thing to pilots limit. It was all my fault, because there was a new bug after adding new 5 min condition in disconnection and all types of disconnection were counted as pilot lost. That why the limit of 900 pilots was reached so quickly. From this map this bug has been removed. If no bug earlier then Axis provably would have won last map (about 200 pilots were wrongly counter as lost).

Another thing is higher probability of being captured for Axis. The ratio of captured pilots to killed is only about 11% and 18% for Allied and Axis respectively. So the main "problem" are killed pilots not captured in my opinion.

So the main "problem" are killed pilots not captured in my opinion.

I've been playing both side from longtime and most of the time,

I will be more successful in VVS planes a lot because of the effectiveness of the AP on this game (hard to simulated chemical munition even on real as I was Master Gunner 25mm-120mm long ago) .

But more because of people over-estimating their planes in Axis side... most often the F4 in climb speed relative to some VVS planes. 

Still some relative effectiveness difference about the FLAK but for me I don't mind.

My opinion...

Edited by 4./JG52_Manu653
  • Upvote 2

Hi all

I do not like anything that shoots pilots who parachute.

I have suffered it, it is a cowardice, and it is a little honorable way to increase the deaths of pilots ...

By the way, some of you should create your own server ... and apply some of your crazy ideas :wacko: ..... I say it without acrimony of any kind. :lol:

regards ,
Edited by Ala13_Antiguo
  • Upvote 1

i.e. 15.76 vs 14.7 (14d avg)? :scratch_one-s_head:

Why not look at the 28 day raw data? You know, where the Soviet team outnumbered the German team significantly twice, on the 12th and the 15th respectively. Why not get granular with this and look at the times where the German team maintained close to 50 players while the Soviets could only fit around 20 before the server pop maxed out? Why not look at last night where the German team had 2 squadrons that individually outnumbered the Soviet team? You should be more careful when playing number games, someone might look at the big picture when you want them to focus on the part that makes you right.

• Upvote 1

Why not look at the 28 day raw data? You know, where the Soviet team outnumbered the German team significantly twice, on the 12th and the 15th respectively. Why not get granular with this and look at the times where the German team maintained close to 50 players while the Soviets could only fit around 20 before the server pop maxed out? Why not look at last night where the German team had 2 squadrons that individually outnumbered the Soviet team? You should be more careful when playing number games, someone might look at the big picture when you want them to focus on the part that makes you right.

I have to say: the times when the squadrons come on and have the Germans outnumber the entire Russian side 3 or 4 to 1 are awful.

Last night we were left doing transport flights because everyone logged in had run out of fighters (or just didn't want to waste them in a guaranteed death), and ground attack was suicide with the Axis being able to keep what seemed like two fighters near every objective and still run coordinated, full strikes on our airfields. After two missions of this the Germans, with little opposition, knocked out all but two Russian airfields.

Could you please delete or lock my old account //KG33Momsen and unlock the new one Joachim_Momsen? Im getting crazy right now

when faced with consistent overwhelming odds

i.e. 15.76 vs 14.7 (14d avg)? :scratch_one-s_head:

You're obviously not a statistics guy :)    There's more to consider than just saying there's only 1 pilot difference over the 14 day average.

While Disarray uses the word consistent, which may apply to the "flying window" of when he has availability to play... if that window is USA prime time, 9PM-2AM EDT window, it more often than not favors the Germans in regards to raw numbers.  You can interpret from the chart below instead of just looking at the number average (which is only 1 pilot difference over the last 14 days), the Germans clearly have much higher peaks and sustained numbers over the Russians for longer periods of time.

post-24105-0-06656700-1506113016_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps :)

• Upvote 1

With TAW as popular as it is I would say that there is a lot more right than wrong with how it is run.  Any changes made will have unforeseen consequences so IMO need to be small tweaks rather than major changes.

The only change I would recommend is to limit each side to a maximum of 50% of the server capacity.  That might help to keep the sides more on par and prevent one side from filling up the majority of the slots early in the mission thus preventing the other sides pilots from joining.

• Upvote 1

Pand' timestamp='1506113798' post='513955'] While Disarray uses the word consistent, which may apply to the "flying window" of when he has availability to play...

It seemed to me, that he wanted to make a point about the campaign in general, not about his "flying window".

Pand' timestamp='1506113798' post='513955'] You're obviously not a statistics guy :)

Ok. I have no problems remaining silent if I can't contribute. :)

I would like to take this moment to say thank you to HenHawk for saving my a** earlier today. Without your help, 72 would not have been possible.

Cheers mate

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-727-0285-23%2C_Ru

• Upvote 3

Well said Chief, well said. 

I am exactly of your Opinion. 

And just to prevent a lot of the Frustration: Every Pilot gets 3 Lives for Free. If he gets killed once, his life can be recovered by flying 8-15 CMs without dieing. 

If you die 3 times in quick successions you start from Scratch.

A fantastic idea! I would even enforce load out restrictions that only unlock with rank. You want your crew chief to remove that rear armor that blocking your view? Well Mr. Fresh to the Eastern Front still smelling like a French bawdy house, screw you. Fly a few missions and come back alive and maybe we'll talk about getting you that full plate removed and those 20 mils you've been whining about.

• Upvote 3

A fantastic idea! I would even enforce load out restrictions that only unlock with rank. You want your crew chief to remove that rear armor that blocking your view? Well Mr. Fresh to the Eastern Front still smelling like a French bawdy house, screw you. Fly a few missions and come back alive and maybe we'll talk about getting you that full plate removed and those 20 mils you've been whining about.

I personally think that this type of modding or having to do things to unlock items is similar to what Jason stopped in the IL2 series and doing it here would drive guys away.

Edited by Haza
  • Upvote 1

Gents,

Is the server down as I cant get either the web page or log into the actual game!?

Regards

Edited by Haza

I would like to take this moment to say thank you to HenHawk for saving my a** earlier today. Without your help, 72 would not have been possible.

Cheers mate

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-727-0285-23%2C_Ru

No problem, just happy I could help, always great flying with you!  You've saved plenty of guys that found themselves in jams, as you're one of the minority of blue fighter pilots that actually coordinates/covers objectives and ground-pounders. Congrats on 72!  

• Upvote 1

Gents,

Is the server down as I cant get either the web page or log into the actual game!?

Regards

Same here...

This would also make Squadron Life easier since you don't end up with a Squadron where they have to cobble together Mixed Aircraft Flights because one of them lost all his 110s and has to take an 88, on only has an E-2 and the Third takes a G-2. This is annoying and disrupts Squad/Teamplay

It would just get less complicated  with my System. 

And the System is already in Place with Pilot Rankings which right now serve nothing except Bragging. With my System all of the Aircraft confusion, who has lost what etc. would fall away, and your Choices would only be limited by the Prestige your Squad has earned and how Valued it is in the eyes of the Generalstab of the Luftwaffe. 

And the more Prestigious you Wing becomes the better it's Propaganda Value.

Now, how Personal Rank and Squadron Rank would interact would basically be an Override of the Squadron over the Individual, so even if the Lowest Ranking Pilot barely has gotten his Pubes to grow right, would get to fly whatever his Squadron is entitled to, by the average of it's Pilot's Skill. 

Maybe the highest Prestige Squadrons could get special Mission Types, Dambusters style, 111s with 2500kgs etc. 

Server (and everything) is down again. Wish there was someone usually available at this time of day that had access to resetting it. Seems to happen a lot.

This would also make Squadron Life easier since you don't end up with a Squadron where they have to cobble together Mixed Aircraft Flights because one of them lost all his 110s and has to take an 88, on only has an E-2 and the Third takes a G-2. This is annoying and disrupts Squad/Teamplay

It would just get less complicated  with my System. 

And the System is already in Place with Pilot Rankings which right now serve nothing except Bragging. With my System all of the Aircraft confusion, who has lost what etc. would fall away, and your Choices would only be limited by the Prestige your Squad has earned and how Valued it is in the eyes of the Generalstab of the Luftwaffe. 

And the more Prestigious you Wing becomes the better it's Propaganda Value.

Now, how Personal Rank and Squadron Rank would interact would basically be an Override of the Squadron over the Individual, so even if the Lowest Ranking Pilot barely has gotten his Pubes to grow right, would get to fly whatever his Squadron is entitled to, by the average of it's Pilot's Skill. 

Maybe the highest Prestige Squadrons could get special Mission Types, Dambusters style, 111s with 2500kgs etc. 

Now we are starting to make TAW an elitist server!

Not for me, sorry!

• Upvote 3

Now we are starting to make TAW an elitist server!

Not for me, sorry!

I want to make it what it sais in the Name, a "War" Server. And a "War" Server has to promote Coordination and the current system just sucks quite plainly and Focusses too much on singular Airplanes and Individual Pilots. 

And how would it be more Elitist than the current System? It's already the Case that only the Best Players get the Best Fighters, but as of now the Lower Caste of Players suffers a lot, since they are more likely to loose Aircraft to Superior Pilots in superior Craft now, so the Lower Caste are doubely fucked. 

My System would reduce exactly that, since a Fighter Pilot will always have Access to a Fighter, unless he sucks to a Degree that he is Demoted to Transport Pilot. 

But the Buffer is far larger. 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus-Mann

I want to make it what it sais in the Name, a "War" Server. And a "War" Server has to promote Coordination and the current system just sucks quite plainly and Focusses too much on singular Airplanes and Individual Pilots. 

And how would it be more Elitist than the current System? It's already the Case that only the Best Players get the Best Fighters, but as of now the Lower Caste of Players suffers a lot, since they are more likely to loose Aircraft to Superior Pilots in superior Craft now, so the Lower Caste are doubely fucked. 

My System would reduce exactly that, since a Fighter Pilot will always have Access to a Fighter, unless he sucks to a Degree that he is Demoted to Transport Pilot. 

Klaus_Mann,

I appreciate what you are trying to achieve, however, at the end of the day this is a game with a very small gene pool and not everybody wants to join a SQN.  I have seen lots of coordination between none Sqn based factions so you do not need a lot of the same squad in a game for a good game to be had by all.

I do not believe that the best players get the best aircraft as you only have to do a few minor re-supply missions to get enough CM points to get other aircraft, so no I do not believe that the "Best Players get the Best fighters".  Loosing aircraft to better players is a way of life and this only comes with experience, that thankfully we only have virtual lives to worry about.  I think that we need to embrace new players not restrict them, as to be honest the majority of guys would join, loose all their aircraft then leave to play on other servers.

We could talk about this subject until the cows come home and I have no idea how to fix it, although I'm not knocking you for your ideas, just pointing out potential pit falls.

As it stands I'm having the best time ever on TAW and I'm sure it will get better, therefore, perhaps we need to "tweak" things a little bit at a time to sort it.  I believe, as I have said before, we should have a total number of pilot lives per side based on fighter/bomber and transport roles.  Anyway, this debate to me just shows how much the TAW server has grown with more and more players coming here to support it.  Lets keep that trend growing without squashing newbies!

Regards

• Upvote 2

Salute Kathon!

Could you maybe please unlock my Account Name "Joachim Momsen" and delete my old one "//KG33Momsen" since i'm not a part of KG33 anymore?

Thank you,

Momsen

How would your system help a player like me though? I don't fly with a large group of people. At most I fly with 4 other people, and 1 or 2 of those consistently; the others are up to other things. With your system the small group of people I play with will have to compete with the larger and better organized groups on my own team for equipment as well as those other groups and individuals on the opposing team? Sounds like your way will make it harder for me and mine.

If you want to promote a war like coordination among players there are better ways than making access to equipment gated differently form the way it is now. Making the objectives show up on the map sequentially comes to mind, or make it so planes taking off from one air field can only see certain objectives on the map. This would make it so players working off of one AF all work on the same objective - simulating the local squadron(s) reviving orders from high command. That is way more accurate to military operations than the way the game is played right now, where it is up to individual pilots which objectives, if any, they will pursue. That is the biggest departure from military organization found in this game. In real armies you can't just decide to do whatever you feel like doing. You get your orders and you follow them. If you fail to follow orders there are often unpleasant consequences, up to and including getting shot in the back of the head for some armies of this particular war.

• Upvote 1

Salute Kathon!

Could you maybe please unlock my Account Name "Joachim Momsen" and delete my old one "//KG33Momsen" since i'm not a part of KG33 anymore?

Thank you,

Momsen

Momsen change in TAW website KG33Momsen to Joachim Momsen in profile.

If I remember it's not very hard but it's a no go that admin will do it for you.

Edited by 57.GIAP_Manu653

Hey all,

New to TAW here. Love the challenges and team effort. 

Question: why do I not get fighters or ground attack planes after earning points? It's loading up my BoS plane suite but I'm stuck with Pe2 and transports in BoM. 

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot.php?name=gx007

thanks

I don't think equipment unlocks should be tied to squad stats as not everyone is in a squad. I think that accelerated promotions when there are serious numerical disparities would quickly solve some issues. People that have to fly outnumbered and who survive should be rewarded with better planes/equipment. Those flying with massive numerical superiority should be promoted more slowly since, in theory, they are not at as much risk as the outnumbered side. Edited by NO_SQDeriku777
  • Upvote 2

Hey all,

New to TAW here. Love the challenges and team effort. 

Question: why do I not get fighters or ground attack planes after earning points? It's loading up my BoS plane suite but I'm stuck with Pe2 and transports in BoM. 

http://taw.stg2.de/pilot.php?name=gx007

thanks

The reason you are stuck with those BOM planes is those are the only BOM planes available on this map. You can fly missions until you are blue in the face and you will never get more BOM planes this map, or the next one. You do have a fair amount of fighters though, LaGGs, Yaks and LA 5's.

Thanks Disarray,

I'm still baffled. This week I flew a Mig for 25 minutes as the map ended while safely in flight. Next map no Mig. I'm trying to understand the reasoning/logic. I see other fighters taking off. Is this because I'm "junior" rank in TAW?

I read about no VVS fighter support at times. I'd be more than happy to provide CAP or escort. But I seem to be type-cast as a FedEx driver.

Thank you for the clarification.

Don't worry gx007, I seem to be most successful as a bus driver. Ground attack is the name of the game and either the Il2, Pe2 or 110 and Ju88, well they pound nicely.

I must admit, I can't hit Tanks for !+=£* the 82 rockets always fall short for me and trees get in the way. Actually, the prevalence of tree lined roads for convoys on these maps are a little silly. Sure they passed through forests but especially for tanks, they should be in the open as they are useless and vulnerable to infantry in wooded areas.  Supply and mechanised infantry would be suited to covered areas.

Anyway, seems like I am better with a bus in my hands with a heavy loadout than a scalpel. :lol:

When I mortgage the house for a food HMD, computer and controls, bus driving it is unless I want to provide target practice to the opposing team.