=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

Nothing has been changed from start of this campaign. Do you have track or link to the sortie?

I found sorie from the latest mission and this pilot got 15 GK by destroying trucks, AT guns and dugouts: http://taw-server.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=8421&name=Goofy123

Latest missions ok again I think but there was definitely 2-3 missions on Sunday maybe that only vehicles were counting as gk and not structures

I've also noticed this, since about saturday and onward. No kills awarded either in game or on the site for structures, only vehicles. Dropping ~ 2 tons of explosives into fresh objectives and walking home with 2 trucks destroyed isn't the most rewarding experience. Is it a bug or an intended change?

What I've noticed from hitting defenses is that it may look 'fresh'. Bunkers, etc. But in reality it could be that in previous mission same defenses were hit and damaged. Some of the cars/guns/tanks/aa may be gone. However, the bunkers regenerate at a new mission - even though if you bomb these you will get 0 points. But no way for you to know just by looking at the target since it looks 'fresh'. If you're brave you can fly over it low and slow... :lol: 

One way to tell if some of the defenses have already been hit, if it says on the website under defense for that particular AF 'average' 'poor'. If it says 'good' most likely all defenses are fresh. 

• Upvote 2

Yes I did read the manual... as I said, it doesn't seem to matter. I am not picking planes that are unavailable... 

Yes you are. First you join the server as Allied and flew some sorties. Then you registered the same account as Axis, why? You wanted to be german pilot flying I-16? REALLY???

Your account is Allied side. You should pick planes that are available for your account: http://taw-server.de/pilot.php?name=smalllines

Edited by =LG=Kathon
  • Upvote 2

I'd just like to say thankyou to everyone in Russian chat last night who helped me with a few issues I was having here and there. Big help!

I was initial intending to fly for the German side but considering the number disparity I've decided to go Russian for this one. My only concern is that I'll be left with no fighters (I've only got BoM) in the last few missions of the campaign. 

What I've noticed from hitting defenses is that it may look 'fresh'. Bunkers, etc. But in reality it could be that in previous mission same defenses were hit and damaged. Some of the cars/guns/tanks/aa may be gone. However, the bunkers regenerate at a new mission - even though if you bomb these you will get 0 points. But no way for you to know just by looking at the target since it looks 'fresh'. If you're brave you can fly over it low and slow... :lol: 

One way to tell if some of the defenses have already been hit, if it says on the website under defense for that particular AF 'average' 'poor'. If it says 'good' most likely all defenses are fresh. 

Ah, that does make sense and is probably the case - although it's hardly ideal. If the targets aren't fresh they shouldn't look it, and if the buildings regenerate then you should get points for destroying them. Still, thank you very much for the exhaustive reply! 

Ah, that does make sense and is probably the case - although it's hardly ideal. If the targets aren't fresh they shouldn't look it, and if the buildings regenerate then you should get points for destroying them. Still, thank you very much for the exhaustive reply! 

It is as it is for simplicity purpose. Important objects like tanks, AT, trucks, connected dugouts if destroyed are destroyed in the next missions. Others building not. Maybe in the next TAW campaign defense position will have more complex logic including buildings.

-------------------------------

Bug where Mozaisk was constantly attacking without tank convoy during last few missions was fixed.

they would have to be fairly rudimentary buildings or incorporate buildings that were already there. These positions were very much ad hawk affairs, they'd move with the front as needed, so you wouldn't see a lot of proper construction. Tents, for sure, maybe some crude log and earth structures, but that may even be pushing things. A farm house though, that could be used as a company HQ, or something like that, and have the defenses built up around it. Even modern armies today don't do much building in the field and what is done is usually modular and generally well behind the front lines, in so far as they exist in modern conflict.

Was on TAW last night for the first time with a couple of other people also going there for the first time.  One of the things we noticed was the towns we were using as navigational landmarks had no buildings in them, and this made them more difficult to actually identify as towns.   Is this done for performance reasons or something? 

Was on TAW last night for the first time with a couple of other people also going there for the first time.  One of the things we noticed was the towns we were using as navigational landmarks had no buildings in them, and this made them more difficult to actually identify as towns.   Is this done for performance reasons or something? 

Yes performance

Iceworm, the easiest way to spot those towns, in my experience, is the ground color. Nowhere else on the map, that I've seen, is there any ground that is grey except the cities and towns. Hope that helps.

Correct if Im wrong but I dont think AKs count when u die in the same mission ... That's what I thought at least.

I experienced an issue with sortie result. Last mission I tried to supply and AF. Took a He 111 landed at Kubinka where I was damaged by another plane which was taking off. Anyway, the sortie result screen showed me that I landed and mission was OK (the green indication). There was no "DITCHED" label as I saw the other day when I damaged both my engines during the land. So I made another two sorties in good faith that everything is OK. But in the server page log the first sortie is evaluated as "DITCHED" (see the link below) and thus the others have "NOT VALID PLANE".

So my question is. How the hell I can find out the "true" result of sortie if the game informed me about something, but the server log later evaluated it in different way, with all the negative consequences?

I'm sorry for maybe a bit angry tone but I'm really messed up at this moment. 

Link to the sortie: http://taw-server.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=11120&name=I./JG1_Pragr

Ive had a few near misses myself with people taking off 'dirty' on this server.

Can people just taxi properly and use the runway please!!  :)

I remember once upon a time you used to get stuck in snow, and it was all but impossible to take off if you were not on the runway,

Now you can take off in a fully fuelled 111 with a couple of tonnes of bombs across a ploughed field in 2 foot of snow!

Maybe there should be an option for realistic ground handling...... Devs? ;)

PS. Love the server though!

• Upvote 1

Land at the AF you're resupplying. Come to a complete stop, i think you have to open 'bomb doors'? 'N' is default key. Then press your 'bomb drop' button to start unloading cargo. You should get a message when it's complete. Then you can finish flight.

Are you sure? This did not work for me.

The game does not give any message for: Opening bomb doors.

No message for: Starting to unload cargo.

How do I make sure it works? How long do I have to wait until it has been unloaded?

^ that stuff only applies for Ju-52, it will take a little while to unload the cargo but not long. The "Open Bomb Bay" command opens the side door to enable the unload. If you are flying an He-111 or Ju-88 transport you don't have to do that, just come to a stop.

Ive had a few near misses myself with people taking off 'dirty' on this server.

Can people just taxi properly and use the runway please!!  :)

I remember once upon a time you used to get stuck in snow, and it was all but impossible to take off if you were not on the runway,

Now you can take off in a fully fuelled 111 with a couple of tonnes of bombs across a ploughed field in 2 foot of snow!

Maybe there should be an option for realistic ground handling...... Devs? ;)

PS. Love the server though!

One of rules says :

Use taxiways and runways for taking off. Avoid taking off on the grass across the airfield.

Hi I./JG68_Sperber,

Thanks for your great server donation.  :salute:

Donations really help the server.

Makes up for accidentally friendly firing and shooting down 19//Sabot yesterday I guess  :P props for donating Sperber

Are you sure? This did not work for me.

The game does not give any message for: Opening bomb doors.

No message for: Starting to unload cargo.

How do I make sure it works? How long do I have to wait until it has been unloaded?

It is "open/close canopy" and not open bomb doors.

I did not intend to join the allied side...as I stated. Before I registered I was attempting to fly Germany with no success... I tried Allied after the lack of success with Germany as an experiment. I still had no success, I was not able to fly Allied at that point either. So I was not able to fly ANYTHING... period. I tried again with Germany... nothing. I tried again with the Allied and  got a sortie in an I-16... This is why I was defaulted to Allies when I registered  (I did not realize this until later)  I didn't want to fly I-16's and did not realize I was locked into Allies for the remainder of TAW... So  that was my mistake... I still don't understand why the server wouldn't let me fly any plane from any side to begin with. It was my bad luck of the draw it worked with the Russians first. In conclusion maybe you should try to be a little less condescending with ludicrous assumptions.

Perhaps you should read the manual and the rules first.

[edited]

You did report his PM, no need to make the content of it public. This make the rest of the post senseless and also against the rules.

12. Discussing private matters through the posting of public topics and posts in the forum are prohibited. Such posts will be deleted without warning or notice.

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
  • Upvote 1

[edited]

The post above is reason this genre is on the precipitous of going down the tube.  Real easy to stop this behavior, have some tighter rules on the servers.  I could out swear anyone on this forum, but I don't come to flight sims for this.  If server admins started banning dudes for retarded behavior which I myself at times have done, I think those people would shape up or ship out.  Wouldn't even care if we had a lesser quantity of players, get rid of the riff raff.

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
  • Upvote 1

Pretty sure the reason the genre has issues has to do with dozens of other things besides posts like that... Spend a few minutes interacting with the community for a triple A game and you'll realize that we have it pretty good here. Glance at an FPS forum or say hello on a server and you'll see much worse than that.

Clearly this smalllines person should be banned and all that, but its a little silly to say the reason flight sims aren't particularly popular is because we have too much "riff raff" in the forums IMHO.

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure the reason the genre has issues has to do with dozens of other things besides posts like that... Spend a few minutes interacting with the community for a triple A game and you'll realize that we have it pretty good here. Glance at an FPS forum or say hello on a server and you'll see much worse than that.

Clearly this smalllines person should be banned and all that, but its a little silly to say the reason flight sims aren't particularly popular is because we have too much "riff raff" in the forums IMHO.

...and if you read a chat bar in BOS on many of our public servers, you'd think we are trending towards that FPS type community based on what players type. Not the case in the past  in what I've experienced over the last 22 years in this genre.  I've seen this behavior proliferating in other sims as well.  If it continues without anyone pushing back it will be the norm, is that what you want?

Edited by Banzaii

Banzai I think what you are experiencing is what is commonly known as ....getting old

"In my day we didn't speak like that to our elders!"

"Youths these days are so lazy"

So on and so forth ☺

Edited by =WFPK=chappyj

Guys, if we're going to quote a foul mouthed post can we at least remove the swear words? Ta.

• Upvote 1

Makes up for accidentally friendly firing and shooting down 19//Sabot yesterday I guess  :P props for donating Sperber

I send after that a pm and say sorry...

In VR is a Problem the identification from a 110 and the Pe2.

Sorry again :)

Hi I./JG68_Sperber,

Thanks for your great server donation.  :salute:

Donations really help the server.

Thank you for the great server.

Salute!

How do you stop someone who as just picked up the game, and doesn't really know what they are doing from joining the server and causing mayhem as they try to figure out what the rules are and whats going on ? 

I guess if registration, had to be done manually, it would at least ensure that players had at least visited the website and hopefully taken the time to read the rules. Given the popularity of TAW, I don't think it would harm the player numbers if registration were to be enforced

• Upvote 1

Today it's again up to 40 Germans against 10 Russians.

Seems all is fine now - yesterday we had 30 Luftwaffe vs >36 VVS pilots. Was a great dogfight. 

Spawned in a JU87, accidentally left the throttle slightly on so rolled forward a couple of feet.

Someone spawned into my space and wrecked the tail of my plane, engine was still running etc so thought I could just respawn, turns out it counted it as a ditch and ended up with an invalid plane.

Which I wouldn't normally mind about, apart from I got a a2a kill on a IL2 with my Stuka and it didn't count.

RIP me :(

Edited by =FEW=Retrofly
  • Upvote 1

I experienced an issue with sortie result. Last mission I tried to supply and AF. Took a He 111 landed at Kubinka where I was damaged by another plane which was taking off. Anyway, the sortie result screen showed me that I landed and mission was OK (the green indication). There was no "DITCHED" label as I saw the other day when I damaged both my engines during the land. So I made another two sorties in good faith that everything is OK. But in the server page log the first sortie is evaluated as "DITCHED" (see the link below) and thus the others have "NOT VALID PLANE".

So my question is. How the hell I can find out the "true" result of sortie if the game informed me about something, but the server log later evaluated it in different way, with all the negative consequences?

I'm sorry for maybe a bit angry tone but I'm really messed up at this moment. 

Link to the sortie: http://taw-server.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=11120&name=I./JG1_Pragr

You landed and then destroyed aircraft (100% damage) so script counted this as DITCHED.

Spawned in a JU87, accidentally left the throttle slightly on so rolled forward a couple of feet.

Someone spawned into my space and wrecked the tail of my plane, engine was still running etc so thought I could just respawn, turns out it counted it as a ditch and ended up with an invalid plane.

Which I wouldn't normally mind about, apart from I got a a2a kill on a IL2 with my Stuka and it didn't count.

RIP me :(

Similar as above. 

If you bend a propeller or destroyed engine then in log files sum of damage was 100%. So it was "easy" to figure out if sortie was ok or not. Maybe something has been changed in the last patch in the damage model.

The only solution to fix this problem is change the script to update sorties and available planes after end of each sortie. I plan to do it in the next campaign. For now if you are heavily damage on the ground (before or after landing) assume the aircraft is not able to fly.

• Upvote 1

The only solution to fix this problem is change the script to update sorties and available planes after end of each sortie. I plan to do it in the next campaign. For now if you are heavily damage on the ground (before or after landing) assume the aircraft is not able to fly.

Yeah I thought if the prop was ok then it would be ok.

Lesson learned :)

I send after that a pm and say sorry...

In VR is a Problem the identification from a 110 and the Pe2.

Sorry again :)

Thank you for the great server.

Salute!

I'm just giving you a hard time ;)

Question: if you ran out of fuel, the results is damaged 100% and status crashed (despite no damage to AC) ?

Banzai I think what you are experiencing is what is commonly known as ....getting old

"In my day we didn't speak like that to our elders!"

"Youths these days are so lazy"

So on and so forth ☺

Bro, one I aint old and two this has zero to do with age, its called being respectful to other players. "Back in the old days, the 2000's when I was growing up......" The problem is players think this is the norm in IL2 because theyre coming from WT or from an FPS, go try Cliffs of Dover online servers, where you get banned temporarily for being a duche, and permanantly for repeat offenses. Its like night and day, and I cant stand Clod.