=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

Hey, LG pilots! Stop killing everything that can fly! I thought we would take at least one diploma. But it is impossible when all targets are down...

p.s. Padre, don't love Stalin too much. Love your red team mates as well ;)

Amen!

150041278201626847.png

Very good Major general Padre, very good!

Edited by Skv_Serafim
  • Upvote 8

The community is small, true statement.Open minded, very much a subjective question. You find it ridiculous that a playerbase of generally older and more mature players think virtually murdering your defensless opponent in a genre that embraces fellowship between players is abnormal?

You'd think these generally older, more mature men would understand something children don't usually struggle with, such as balancing teams for the sake of sportsmanship and challenge, even if that means you don't get to fly your own super special favorite plane.  You can't be a ~honourable~ noble knight hunting his enemies across the skies when you constantly outnumber them multiple times over.  Talk about virtually murdering defenseless opponents, no?  Would you play rugby with an extra 150% teammates and then look down your nose at the opposing side taking their frustrations out by dump-tackling you when they get a chance?

Reciprocity is all I want and all I take, one way or the other. 

Unless its a server rule, you can't force people to do the right thing. If everyone did the right thing with online gaming, we wouldn't have the issue of cheaters. But no, cheaters are rampant in gaming, even in esports. 

Having said that, all you can do is change your own actions. I don't and wouldn't shoot a parachute. I don't see the need. If the game promoted it, maybe but its a grey area. Besides, I fly bombers most of the time so its me dangling there in the parachute. 

You'd think these generally older, more mature men would understand something children don't usually struggle with, such as balancing teams for the sake of sportsmanship and challenge, even if that means you don't get to fly your own super special favorite plane. You can't be a ~honourable~ noble knight hunting his enemies across the skies when you constantly outnumber them multiple times over. Talk about virtually murdering defenseless opponents, no? Would you play rugby with an extra 150% teammates and then look down your nose at the opposing side taking their frustrations out by dump-tackling you when they get a chance?

Reciprocity is all I want and all I take, one way or the other.

I'd take historical accuracy anyday over balance. I wish I was on the outnumbered team,more targets to shoot. Edited by Banzaii

Well, that is the wonder and greatness that is modern video games, Banzaii, you can switch teams without all that nasty reprisal you see in real life. Maybe give it a try some time.

Well, that is the wonder and greatness that is modern video games, Banzaii, you can switch teams without all that nasty reprisal you see in real life. Maybe give it a try some time.

Picked a team brotha, gotta see it thru to the end of the round.Working your butt off to win and switching sides in TAW defeats the purpose in my mind. Let me make myself work harder, makes lots of sense.

Edited by Banzaii

I know I've brought this up before but hear me out....below is a copy of the current TAW map:

curr_gen_map.jpg

If you have a look at the number of Blue targets available for such a large scale battle as Stalingrad, you have 3 factories, 3 artillery sites (I think these are 1/4 moon icons with spikes) and a few airfields. For blue, the number of red targets is 4 factories, 1 lot of tanks and a handful of airfields (not sure how many actually have targets other than AAA). 

I know we're missing something. Lone trucks, convoys  (trucks, tanks, both), trains (esp trains), shipping in port or sailing, fuel dumps, ammo dumps, etc. Yes I know we have to balance fps, but its at the expense of a truly expansive campaign with targets that reflect the real thing eg. an army in retreat = lots of trucks, etc. 

Hey guys in 1116 on an abondoned AF I found and destroyed some random red troops and AA sitting well in blue territory. Can you please remove that?

Hey guys in 1116 on an abondoned AF I found and destroyed some random red troops and AA sitting well in blue territory. Can you please remove that?

Some troops are spawning randomly near frontline. Please read manual point 3.7. Cheers!

I know I've brought this up before but hear me out....below is a copy of the current TAW map:

curr_gen_map.jpg

If you have a look at the number of Blue targets available for such a large scale battle as Stalingrad, you have 3 factories, 3 artillery sites (I think these are 1/4 moon icons with spikes) and a few airfields. For blue, the number of red targets is 4 factories, 1 lot of tanks and a handful of airfields (not sure how many actually have targets other than AAA). 

I know we're missing something. Lone trucks, convoys  (trucks, tanks, both), trains (esp trains), shipping in port or sailing, fuel dumps, ammo dumps, etc. Yes I know we have to balance fps, but its at the expense of a truly expansive campaign with targets that reflect the real thing eg. an army in retreat = lots of trucks, etc. 

(Edited)

The 3-4 Airfields are attackable (they have fuel depots, hangars and static planes). If you damage those supply trucks spawn to repair them. If u damage defenses, trains spawn. If you damage tanks, bridges have to get destroyed to prevent resupply.

In the map you show roughly are roughly 9-10 objectives. Your have 1,75h to destroy them. That's not enough time for all of them. And at the same you have to defend your own stuff(which gets forgotten quite quickly)

The hard part is to decide which objectives are important.

Additionally the cities are NOT attackable. (Red Sqares around a city)

The depots in the rear are. and there are plenty of targets.

I recommend reading the manual to get how the server actually works. You have 5h hours of flighttime. And I think u haven't done other campaigns yet. So take your time to learn the mechanics before you demand changes.

Alternatively ASK instead of demanding stuff. Then after you actually know stuff, you can propose changes. And rightfully so. There are things which can be improved for sure.

I play now for over a year and I still learn things and I don't know everything.

Edited by DerSheriff
  • Upvote 5

Some troops are spawning randomly near frontline. Please read manual point 3.7. Cheers!

I did, it doesn't say anything about hostile troops appearing within your own lines. To have them push that far in and bring anti air artillery seems a little odd to me but oh well.

Edited by MatthiasAlpha

You find it ridiculous that a playerbase of generally older and more mature players think virtually murdering your defensless opponent in a genre that embraces fellowship between players is abnormal?

Yes, I do, if we consider two additional circumstances:

a) it's a part of gameplay mechanics, not an empty, irrelevant act, 

b) members of that playerbase call those participating in that part of gameplay inhumane, openly declare their disrespect for those players and threaten to ostracize them from their community.

That's taking it way too far from being mature about it.

Yes, I do, if we consider two additional circumstances:

a) it's a part of gameplay mechanics, not an empty, irrelevant act,

b) members of that playerbase call those participating in that part of gameplay inhumane, openly declare their disrespect for those players and threaten to ostracize them from their community.

That's taking it way too far from being mature about it.

We can go round and round on this all you want. Since day one of BOS beta years ago, Ive seen one person shoot at a chute and miss wildly. This does not happen frequently at all making it an insignificant part of gameply. In matter of fact the visibility of the chute killing in the forum is not even close to representing how rare a chute kill is. Does that mean it should be banned or illegal, absolutly NOT. Ive never said anywhere in this forum or any other that it should be illegal. Restricting gameplay is bad IMO. Historical accuracy should be the guiding principle. Irregardless ,Ive become accoustemed to the cultural norms in most realistic servers in multiplple sims and you will find the majority of veterans frown upon it (with it being legal in many sims and servers.) You can shoot kill all you want, I dont really care, but it is my right as a mature individual and every other player to not respect/ respect you for it. If that hurts your feelings, tough.

• Upvote 2

We can go round and round on this all you want. Since day one of BOS beta years ago, Ive seen one person shoot at a chute and miss wildly. This does not happen frequently at all making it an insignificant part of gameply. In matter of fact the visibility of the chute killing in the forum is not even close to representing how rare a chute kill is. Does that mean it should be banned or illegal, absolutly NOT. Ive never said anywhere in this forum or any other that it should be illegal. Restricting gameplay is bad IMO. Historical accuracy should be the guiding principle. Irregardless ,Ive become accoustemed to the cultural norms in most realistic servers in multiplple sims and you will find the majority of veterans frown upon it (with it being legal in many sims and servers.) You can shoot kill all you want, I dont really care, but it is my right as a mature individual and every other player to not respect/ respect you for it. If that hurts your feelings, tough.

Ok.

Now try to speak in relevance to the server this thread is about, because you went completely off-topic. TAW is neither present from day one of BOS beta, nor it is merely one of the most realistic servers in multiple sims. It's a particular server that treats pilots as a map-winning resource - something I presume is a very uncommon thing. Disrespecting anybody because he choses to attempt to win the game in one particular way you don't like on a server you both play completely voluntarily is immature. If you enter TAW server, you should be ok with that some people might shoot a bailed out pilot for gameplay reasons, because that's one particular server where pilots' lives are a resource you're supposed to play with - that's the mature approach. Another would be not playing on this server due to potential winning methods you find disrespectful.

Choosing to play, but respecting only those who play it your way is childish.

Disrespecting those who play disrespectfully is reasonable. 

Playing the objective is not disrespectful. It's justified by being the objective.

• Upvote 1

I'm having fun with this.

If you think that shooting helpless pilots in their parachutes is respectable, your avatar is fitting.

I'm willing to bet that the majority of IL-2 gamers (and people in general) are sickened by the idea of shooting a helpless man in a parachute. These people are what we call "civilized", i.e. "respectable". 

You stain TAW. 

For those who are struggling to navigate I made this video a while back, hopefully it helps a bit. If they ever introduce GPS icons on the TAW server I will probably play something else as the level of realism will be lost.

As for parachute killing, I don't do it personally, but war is hell. If people want to behave that way it's up to them. I'm sure it happened on the Eastern Front where the hatred between the sides was unusually high, so the odd parachute kill probably makes it more realistic. Once again, not something I'd ever do personally, nor would anyone else from our squadron.

• Upvote 8

The funny thing about all of Stelcio's talk about doing anything to win TAW/chute shooting/etc, is that a quick look at his current stats shows he has no air kills or ground kills. 10 takeoffs in this campaign.....

Anyway, hasn't this thread been derailed enough?

I have two questions about the server that my searches haven't found answers to, hoping someone can help me out:

1) Do paratrooper drops have to be made from a certain minimum altitude in order to be successful?

2) Does a JU-52 with cargo also need to take 100% fuel for a transport mission, or is it that just the bombers need to?

• Upvote 2

I have two questions about the server that my searches haven't found answers to, hoping someone can help me out:

1) Do paratrooper drops have to be made from a certain minimum altitude in order to be successful?

2) Does a JU-52 with cargo also need to take 100% fuel for a transport mission, or is it that just the bombers need to?

1. they need to jump and land in appropriate area. Of course altitude must be enough to give chute time to open so not too low but not to heigh. 500m is minimum (?) :)

2. Copied from manual :

"You may also resupply friendly airfield by transport airplanes by about 3-4% each. Transport planes are: Ju 52/3m with cargo, also Pe-2, He-111, Ju-88 with 100% fuel and no bombs and rockets. Ju-52 with cargo resupply airfield by 6%-8%. You must takeoff from an airfield damaged less then 40% and land on an airfield damaged more than 0%. The friendly airfield will not be supplied by transport airplane in two cases:

·   This airfield was damage more than 85% in current mission

·   This airfield was captured by enemy in current mission"

Edited by =LG=Leutnant_Artur

1. they need to jump and land in appropriate area. Of course altitude must be enough to give chute time to open so not too low but not to heigh. 500m is minimum (?) :)

2. Copied from manual :

"You may also resupply friendly airfield by transport airplanes by about 3-4% each. Transport planes are: Ju 52/3m with cargo, also Pe-2, He-111, Ju-88 with 100% fuel and no bombs and rockets. Ju-52 with cargo resupply airfield by 6%-8%. You must takeoff from an airfield damaged less then 40% and land on an airfield damaged more than 0%. The friendly airfield will not be supplied by transport airplane in two cases:

· This airfield was damage more than 85% in current mission

· This airfield was captured by enemy in current mission"

Thank you, I had figured that 500m was about minimum, as that's how low most static line jumps can typically go.

I read the manual a few times, but was just confused by the wording. Didn't know if it was saying you could use the Ju-52, but could also bombers, and all that of them needed full fuel/no and no bombs/rocks, or if it meant the planes had diferent requirements.

I read the manual a few times, but was just confused by the wording. Didn't know if it was saying you could use the Ju-52, but could also bombers, and all that of them needed full fuel/no and no bombs/rocks, or if it meant the planes had diferent requirements.

Yup, sorry but we are not native english speakers - but we try to speak/write as best as we can ;)

Transport missions :

- All bombers (Blue/Red) 100% fuel and no ammo bombs etc.

- Ju52 with cargo and 100% fuel.

Thank you, I had figured that 500m was about minimum, as that's how low most static line jumps can typically go.

Historically they trained for 120m and that works in game, 500 is waaay too high.

And on the chute killing, those of you that can't understand that playing the objective (one of which is killing enemy pilots) is not disrespectful are just plain dense. Until TAW bans chute killing, quit trying to shame other players for playing the damn game how they like and keep your sham notions of "respect" and "chivalry" to yourselves.

• Upvote 6

What about ditched pilots? I manged to get a few hits on an enemy, they then attempted to ditch the plane, I came in just as he was starting ditch into the floor.

I was hesitant to shoot as I didn't know if this was acceptable behaviour or not.

My 5 cents:

1) Shooting a parachute gives you nothing and takes no skill

2) Shooting a parachute makes the other player loose his virtual life/kill streak/medals

So... shooting a parachute means you only want to take something away from the other person without gaining anything, which makes you a cunt basically:)

• Upvote 2

For the TAW community the well-meaning of chutkills is in any case not conducive. I never did and never will. I always fly close to the pilot and greet with the wings;)

• Upvote 1

What is the difference to kill someone in a parachute or in a plane thats burning or black smoking- definitely finished- 10m over the ground?

No one allows you nowadays a crash landing.  Shall all these people be ostracized too in future? 

The  MP player behavior in this days in can be condemned or not. But no one brings back the days of "skill and honor" we had in the Hyperlobby. I personally find it a shame.

• Upvote 1

The whole back and forth is unnecessary.
To find a deeper sense as well. It is only about the beaten pilots one more to give. And not otherwise! Or seriously believes someone here, someone here counted the pilots off. To 1300 dead?
It is ridiculous.

Edited by [I./JG62]Schuck*

Historically they trained for 120m and that works in game, 500 is waaay too high.

And on the chute killing, those of you that can't understand that playing the objective (one of which is killing enemy pilots) is not disrespectful are just plain dense. Until TAW bans chute killing, quit trying to shame other players for playing the damn game how they like and keep your sham notions of "respect" and "chivalry" to yourselves.

So I have free will to chute kill or not, but... we're too dense to have an opinion or respect who I darn well want to or not? Whose dense now? Edited by Banzaii

For the love of whoever. 
2 pages of bollocks about the same topic being "discussed" some campaigns ago!

Get back to topic and discuss important stuff. 

• Upvote 4