=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

I believe the reason people dont fly is due to a few factors.

1. The level of anxity is too high for the regular player. When we talk about game flow... The average player is asked too much in TAW. They have to take off, manage their planes engines, have great SA, shoot something or fly for 15 mins, land sucessfully after those 15mins, and do that perfectly 3 times. If not, you start over. Add in that there are a few players that are so good that they're questionable, AAA that's super powerful, and a metagame that is designed for group play. Most average pilots will give TAW a try, and bounce back to that other server thats easier, because of the diffuclity spike or because they are not able to keep up with the above average pilots.

My suggestion is to limit the requirements to aquire another fighter. The above average pilot almost always has his hanger full, but the same cant be said for the new guy trying out TAW for the first time. If you change the requirments to 1 perfect mission, or 3 ditched missions that were in the radius of the airfield, I think the players will return.

2.The metagame is designed for a lot of play time and group play. When I get on TAW its always with a group and I'm always going to fly for 2 or more hours. More often than not, I dont have those sort of commitments... and i can assume others dont either. Maybe they dont have the time or maybe they had a bad day at work and dont want to be social on teamspeak, or maybe its something else... but no doubt about it, TAW takes commitment. On the otherhand, I can jump into a 50 man server shoot someone down quickly and bail out. Who cares about stats or planes or anything on that other server.... its just for fun!

No real suggestion here, just understand that TAW is designed to be a game that requires an investment that some players dont have and newer players may not understand.

3. Which leads me to my next point... The pace of map wins is to fast currently in my opinion. Right now it seems like a map win occurs every other day. Why should I invest in my hanger if I know I will get a new set of planes tomorrow? Additionally, I feel I am not contruibing to the war effort when I log in (daily) and see that the front has moved so quickly. Where is the struggle? The tug of the front lines from both factions? The smell of victory when you faction does manage to capture an airfield?

I suggest increasing all the requirements to win a map now that you have a solid player base (for EU players at least). A map win should happen every week or longer. This way players can invest in their hangers and players can feel more satisfied with a win for their faction.

4. The low player count during american prime time. I think all the above factors contribute to the low player count, but i also think the low player count is a problem too. Players look at the server numbers, knowing that they want to play TAW, and see noone on. So they goto that other server that has people... Then the next person does the same thing and the next person and so on...

My only suggestion is to setup play times. I know that TWB plays on the weekends mostly. We'll be there tomorrow around 5pm till the wee hours of the night.

Sorry for any typos, i typed this on my phone.

• Upvote 4

3. Which leads me to my next point... The pace of map wins is to fast currently in my opinion. Right now it seems like a map win occurs every other day. Why should I invest in my hanger if I know I will get a new set of planes tomorrow? Additionally, I feel I am not contruibing to the war effort when I log in (daily) and see that the front has moved so quickly. Where is the struggle? The tug of the front lines from both factions? The smell of victory when you faction does manage to capture an airfield?

I suggest increasing all the requirements to win a map .

Agree, it's going too fast.

• Upvote 1

Why should anyone want to fly when the server numbers are so low that you are guaranteed to run into such "trouble" over designated targets. The asymmetry of "skill" ( I have to use quotes here as free and frank discussion of this topic is constrained in these forums) makes every mission a suicide mission. I play in TAW for a short time and then I run back to land and leave the server when I see "trouble" has arrived. I know of at last 3 others that feel the same way.

this is precisely it - my whole squadron is also operating under those same lines, which due to the "troubled" time zones, means TAW is not a viable pursuit under most circumstances...

until something is done about the "problem we're not allowed to openly speak of", TAW will remain unattended by a very large number of players - this was the same problem we had on the last campaign, and the one before it...

Edited by 19//Moach

Yep, same. Since I am west coast (Pacific) time zone by the time I get to the computer on weekdays/evenings it is empty or it is 8 blue and 0 red, no thanks. Not necessarily a TAW specific problem as Random expert is same, evenings PAC time there are very few players, just 1 or 2 doing some supply runs or point farming, no thanks. Too bad as I really like both servers, I only play get to play them on the weekends. 

(...) I think the players will return. (...)

Looks like a problem for your timezone. Server is almost full every evening, last few days (for Europe).

Edited by Mad_Mikhael

Looks like a problem for your timezone. Server is almost full every evening, last few days (for Europe).

Yeah, that and these few eastern European pilots of excessive skill, who for some reason are on Western Hemisphere timezones.  I don't know how they can fly all night and day and still pay for an internet connection, but it must be nice.

But why fly when it's 5v5 and two of the people you are flying against are basically immortal?  You have no chance, so we go to the server that those pilots are banned from, you know... Wings of Liberty.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that and these few eastern European pilots of excessive skill, who for some reason are on Western Hemisphere timezones.  I don't know how they can fly all night and day and still pay for an internet connection, but it must be nice.

But why fly when it's 5v5 and two of the people you are flying against are basically immortal?  You have no chance, so we go to the server that those pilots are banned from, you know... Wings of Liberty.

They are not immortal and we have proven this twice today first when we got his engine and second when I send him straight to ground. So... lets just not start this topic again ;)

• Upvote 2

They are not immortal and we have proven this twice today first when we got his engine and second when I send him straight to ground. So... lets just not start this topic again ;)

:salute:

It seems you have finally found the solution to the "few" pushing the front lines in the middle of the night.

• Upvote 1

3. Which leads me to my next point... The pace of map wins is to fast currently in my opinion. Right now it seems like a map win occurs every other day. Why should I invest in my hanger if I know I will get a new set of planes tomorrow?

Indeed.

Instead of going to new planeset after every map win, would be better if it was time dependant, so for one week (or 100 missions x 1h 45min) you have early plane set and then for next week you get newer plane set and then next week again newer. A map could be won 3-4 times during the week, but it would not progress the time line yet. That way the campaign would not be over too fast and also people, that are not able to play every day, could experience the progress in plane sets.

Another thing, whwn time progresses, instead of resetting the hangar, it could be upgraded. For example, in in one map the primary fighter is Bf109E7 and "earned" fighter is Bf109F2 and on next map the primary fighter would be Bf109F2 and "earned" fighter is Bf109F4, then if you have "earned" a fighter on early stage (F2), you would get the "earned" fighter, when time progresses to next stage (F4). 

Guys, I'm honest. I'm tired of this campaign already.
I'm not here to suggest any solutions, because my ideas are nothing better than anybody elses already pointed out but I just want to speak for some people I believe.

It's been an issue for quite some time that in the "unfriendly" timezones some people were flying PvE Missions against no opposition. That's been a known thing. However I'm now at a point where some people are already: What's the purpose of PTFO and taking risks when all progress is nullified by people with "extreme high skillset of finding players no matter where on the map" that are playing for 12 hours straight. I might just be a student and have quite some spare time but even I dont have the time to play like that. I'm not judging people for their playstyle. Or maybe I am. Since it's ruining the fun for everybody when there is no chance for one side making progress. Other squads joining into the party and "fighting" zero to five VVS players. 
Where is the sportsmanship in that? There is no use in starting another discussion about smelly players but whole 5+ people squads joining into these PvE slaughters arent helping either. We can't make up timezones for everybody. Thats just a fact. All I'm asking for is to leave those PvE players alone until there are more opponents. Why and how there aren't more from time to time is another discussion though.

• Upvote 3

its really a shame that 1 person was allowed to ruined this server. this was the best multiplayer experience for this game. Im sure im not alone in saying id rather not play this server than have to deal with his crap.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, it's the low numbers of players online that makes me fly elsewhere, it's sad because if it would be otherwise i would not look elsewhere.

Just a thought, but would it be possible just to have the server open on certain dates or times instead? Preferably prime times. That would also eliminate the the fact of a few steamrolling the map.

Oh yes lets have it open from 2000 hrs to 0000 hrs UTM+1. I wonder what would US guys say, Im sure they'll be happy haha :lol:

Second thing is how one person can "ruin" server ? He is not a god, not immortal, hes attacking targets with his buddies and... and I think most of guys are scared to attack him. Again -> :lol:  He is moving front line forward 'cos no one is attacking him and thats it !

How about organize yourself, go see teamspeak and fly in crowd.

Edit:

Its a nice balance in the evenings this campaign.

Edited by =LG=Leutnant_Artur
  • Upvote 3

I would say the player counts are absolutely fine in the EU Prime. I just can't play most days in the morning or afternoon to get an opposition going. 

• Upvote 1

its really a shame that 1 person was allowed to ruined this server. this was the best multiplayer experience for this game. Im sure im not alone in saying id rather not play this server than have to deal with his crap.

definitely not alone 

it is painfully clear that this one player has effectively ruined the campaign (and the last one, and the one before that) - thus TAW is probably dead as long as he's allowed to keep doing his "thing"...  the 19th will continue to fly on WoL, where this most undesirable individual has been duly banned

if the many of you who refuse to believe that this is the problem wish to continue on in wishful denial, go ahead - but that way lies the death of TAW, over a player whose conduct is such that a majority of players will refuse to fly whenever he's on - thus, the campaign as a whole is all but eschewed, from the moment he is first seen online...

so this goes above beyond the argument for proof of the many accusations that have been (and continue to be) made - this is a simple, very clear fact:

whenever this one man joins, the rest of us leaves

that alone should warrant the required measures being taken without delay or hesitation....

so, let me make this abundantly clear now (as far as it can be made without breaking forum rules):   the reason there are few or no red players in TAW, is because this one player has been banned from WoL, so all the reds have chosen to fly there instead -- that is not a coincidence

Edited by 19//Moach

if the many of you who refuse to believe that this is the problem wish to continue on in wishful denial, go ahead - but that way lies the death of TAW, over a player whose conduct is such that a majority of players will refuse to fly whenever he's on - thus, the campaign as a whole is all but eschewed, from the moment he is first seen online...

Just do not be milksops.

Edited by Lawyer_1

But why fly when it's 5v5 and two of the people you are flying against are basically immortal? You have no chance, so we go to the server that those pilots are banned from, you know... Wings of Liberty.

it is painfully clear that this one player has effectively ruined the campaign (and the last one, and the one before that) - thus TAW is probably dead as long as he's allowed to keep doing his "thing"... the 19th will continue to fly on WoL, where this most undesirable individual has been duly banned

Yep...

I finally had the chance to jump on TAW last night and got smoked three times in 40 mins by 'he who shall not be named'. I'm a very average pilot, but how was he able to find me so quickly? It's a big map. Why was there 2 pilot kills? That never happens in a Pe2 unless you get hit by AAA head on. (I realise this is all circumstantial and proves nothing - hey, maybe he's just THAT GOOD!)

However, people can say whatever they like, but there's something fishy going on here. Why is the player in question banned from other MP servers and not this one? Because he's friends with the devs of TAW? Or has he just been treated unfairly by the other servers and the rest of us mere mortals just need to suck it up?

I loved the concept of TAW and even donated money via PayPal to this server in the past to help them out in what must be a largely thankless task, but I'm done playing until further notice. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

"It's a shame!" Yeah... no kidding.

Darbzy. Out.

• Upvote 1

Dear Darbzy,

"These gentlemen" are experienced players, they won a lot of tournaments and other competitions and believe me when this game would be so "epic" and popular like for example LoL u all guys should be proud that u can fight and died from their hands xD

and now seriously...

If u cant defeat somobody normally like here, in game - u will looking for some another "not rly fair" ways to catch him...

for example writing here and talking that he is a god and ban him xD

we need quorum rule again.

No that isnt a solution as well. Nobody starts to play with a quorum.

• Upvote 3

Missions on this server are over far too quickly. I like the server a lot but the fact that a map can end in just a day is very disappointing. 

I would like to see a system with slower progression. Harder to kill targets, more (various) targets and destroying these targets should lead to less progression. 

Hopefully, this will lead to more longevity and more varying end results. 

BlackHellHound1

• Upvote 1

Missions on this server are over far too quickly. I like the server a lot but the fact that a map can end in just a day is very disappointing. 

I would like to see a system with slower progression. Harder to kill targets, more (various) targets and destroying these targets should lead to less progression. 

Hopefully, this will lead to more longevity and more varying end results. 

BlackHellHound1

Yes, we also see its too quickly, and yes we will do something about this.

• Upvote 3

No one doubts the skill and experience. The Ability to so quickly find, and engage so many targets in succession is what stretches credulity given the well known spotting limitations of the game. Lance Armstrong was a very talented cyclist. Does that mean that certain things didn't happen because he was so talented? He certainly convinced many people that he was winning because of shear "talent". I don't doubt I would lose a 1 V 1 engagement with these guys every single time. However, the ability to so rapidly find and demolish opponents in such a short period of time is crazy.

Dear Darbzy,

"These gentlemen" are experienced players, they won a lot of tournaments and other competitions and believe me when this game would be so "epic" and popular like for example LoL u all guys should be proud that u can fight and died from their hands xD

and now seriously...

If u cant defeat somobody normally like here, in game - u will looking for some another "not rly fair" ways to catch him...

for example writing here and talking that he is a god and ban him xD

Edited by NO_SQDeriku777
  • Upvote 4

Ok something odd I observed.

we were down to one airfield and as a response a mate and I picked Resupply Pe2s and brought Erzovka from 83% Damage back to 56% which is enough to reopen it.
Next map it was "under repair". Which is fine. But now two missions in an the Af is still in repair. In order to make the campain longer, maybe make the ability to recover airfields quicker?

Edited by DerSheriff
  • Upvote 2

Ok something odd I observed.

we were down to one airfield and as a response a mate and I picked Resupply Pe2s and brought Erzovka from 83% Damage back to 56% which is enough to reopen it.

Next map it was "under repair". Which is fine. But now two missions in an the Af is still in repair. In order to make the campain longer, maybe make the ability to recover airfields quicker?

Time of airfield repair is random and last 2 or 3 missions. I can lower it but then destroying af will not have such tactical effect.

We will try to enlarge maps by adding more cities and airfields but it's very time-consuming. If anyone of you know basic of Mission Editor then you can help us speed up this process.

We can do or change many things but if people constantly register and fly on Axis side though there are much more registered Axis pilots than Allied pilots then nothing really helps. During registration try to balance numbers of pilots on both sides. Otherwise it makes no sense.

Edited by =LG=Kathon
  • Upvote 2

Time of airfield repair is random and last 2 or 3 missions. I can lower it but then destroying af will not have such tactical effect.

We will try to enlarge maps by adding more cities and airfields but it's very time-consuming. If anyone of you know basic of Mission Editor then you can help us speed up this process.

We can do or change many things but if people constantly register and fly on Axis side though there are much more registered Axis pilots than Allied pilots then nothing really helps. During registration try to balance numbers of pilots on both sides. Otherwise it makes no sense.

I think that one Mission is enough considering that the defenders have to resupply the airfield first. its not like its automatically back after one mission. Especially if one team is in need of arifields its hard to comeback if every airfields needs so much time.

And yes I like to see more airfields beyond the volga. However I have no expierience in the editor sadly.

I think the playercounts are fine this campain. For the most part. EU afternoon is a bit tight. But I guess things are like they are.

Maybe introduce a player cap for one team if the server is barely populated? Like 4 blue players maximum if no reds are there, allow 12 blues if there are 4 reds. Basically 3:1 ratio.

Edited by DerSheriff
  • Upvote 4

Yesterday a squadron of Ju 52 tried to get to the drop zone and got intercepted by few migs.

Poor guys had nearly no escort so i am not much proud of shooting them down even if they took many hits.

I only want to show you how awesome it look like, i hope the video is not too much of potato quality.  ;)

By the way, i was asking myself what happens when a Ju52 crashlands behind enemy territory with its loadout of Fallschirmjäger.

Usually they are able to fight back to the frontlines with its pilots, that means the pilots won't get captured!

Edited by MeoW.Scharfi
  • Upvote 3

I think that all Il2s should have the VYA-23s, as they historically did. But killing tanks should not be a victory condition and the German columns should get double or even triple the amount of AA. The defensive positions should get a liberal amount of 88s, 37mm and 20mm AA guns as well. That way, the Soviets can keep their edge at attacking tanks, but they will suffer losses if they do not do it carefully. Also, they cannot win by killing tanks so they need to strike the defenses to let their army advance. There should be about 100 1000 pound He111s and the same number of Ju88s for the entire campaign of 5 maps. There should be 20 with the loadout that allows the 1800 pound bombs, and 10 with the 2500 pound bombs. So the Luftwaffe bomber force can destroy targets more easily, but only has a limited amount of such huge bombs every campaign, and must thus use them with caution. Also, if an airfield is destroyed, I think that the airfields owners should lose all the planes they had on it, so attack airfield can actually cause the enemy to lose planes and thus lose control of the sky. Also, remember that the A-20 will sone be lend leased in, so VVS pilots should not worry, they will soon have an alternative to the Il2s and PE-2s.

Edited by hames123
  • Upvote 1

Noone is that good like them.

Ramm.

ps. latam za długo online w te klocki, aby uwierzyć w takie statystyki jakie mają ci panowie (lub panie). Nie wierzę, żeby byli takimi samorodnymi talentami objawionymi dopiero po premierze bos'a. A w takim przypadku musiałbym ich spotkać w "starym".  Podaję w wątpliwość nie tyle ich umiejętności (bo te można nabyć) co do prowadzenia samolotów i znajomości ich różnorakich ograniczeń (to znowu zależy od czasu jaki spędzasz w grze), ale zdolność do obserwacji i lokalizacji innych samolotów na dosyć trudnych do tego celu mapach bos'a i bom'a. 

ps. 2 . sorry for ps1 in polish, but my english is worse than I thought.

• Upvote 2

Ramm.

ps. latam za długo online w te klocki, aby uwierzyć w takie statystyki jakie mają ci panowie (lub panie). Nie wierzę, żeby byli takimi samorodnymi talentami objawionymi dopiero po premierze bos'a. A w takim przypadku musiałbym ich spotkać w "starym". Podaję w wątpliwość nie tyle ich umiejętności (bo te można nabyć) co do prowadzenia samolotów i znajomości ich różnorakich ograniczeń (to znowu zależy od czasu jaki spędzasz w grze), ale zdolność do obserwacji i lokalizacji innych samolotów na dosyć trudnych do tego celu mapach bos'a i bom'a.

ps. 2 . sorry for ps1 in polish, but my english is worse than I thought.

Ramm i've got an idea how about go fly with them and see how do they do that finally both of you fly blue side :-)

That moment when you get shot down above an enemy airfield and they don't capture you.   :biggrin::P

Edited by MeoW.Scharfi

Ramm.

I finally had an online encounter with the gentleman the other day.

He intercepted me with his 109 while I was going in a Pe2 with 2x500kgs to bomb a train some 50 km from the airfield. I didn't take a circuitous route and was about 2500m altitude, so nothing strange in his intercepting me about 2 thirds of the way in. I was very predictable, trains being such juicy targets.

At first I tried to reach the target nonetheless, than decided I wasn't going to make it, dropped the bombs, and tried to dogfight him with the Pe2 for a couple of turns (well you never know...).

At this point we were maybe 1500 m altitude and I went straight for the airfield. He followed me at long range and did maybe a dozen very fast and very cautious oblique passes, guns blazing, but the Pe2 was too tough. At he same time my gunner was never able to hit him. It went on for about 6 minutes. See the sortie log here: http://taw.stg2.de/pilot_sortie.php?id=5300&name=Nibbio

Followed me all the way to the base, where an ack got his engine smoking (checked the track later). I landed, he landed (as reported by his sortie log).

So, in this case, absolutely nothing strange. A very experienced pilot, for sure, for having made so many passes and survived without a scratch. I got dozen of tracks of the Pe2 gunner blooding the noses of aggressive 109s...

• Upvote 6

Ramm i've got an idea how about go fly with them and see how do they do that finally both of you fly blue side :-)

I would take flight lessons if we would fly at the same time! :)

Yesterday a squadron of Ju 52 tried to get to the drop zone and got intercepted by few migs.

Poor guys had nearly no escort so i am not much proud of shooting them down even if they took many hits.

I only want to show you how awesome it looked like, i hope the video is not too much of potato quality.  ;)

Yeah that was us.^^ we decided to end the night with a yolo flight..aaaaaaand it worked perfectly.. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Yeah that was us.^^ we decided to end the night with a yolo flight..aaaaaaand it worked perfectly.. :lol:

I guess you seamlessly continued those flights yesterday?...two times?  :lol:

Edited by DerSheriff

I guess you seamlessly continued those flights yesterday?...two times?  :lol:

Could be....in different planes...we wanted to make sure that you hit your record button. :biggrin:

We get wrecked hard from VVS but anyways it was fun. I hope the ZG15 guys aren`t to angry with their escort guys.