Photo

Tactical Air War

• Please log in to reply
4350 replies to this topic

#4321 leno

leno

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:23

Can I make a suggestion / give my opinion on this campaign's changes from the view of a heavy bomber pilot.

Removing 1000kg bombs from frontline airfields is fair enough I suppose however, this in turn means that an average mission to the enemy's depot with a bomber carrying 2 x 1000kg bombs is around 45 minute to 1 hour round trip.

I'm not sure if this server has altered the performance of the planes but it takes a HE111 with 2 x 1000kg bombs, (even with the minimum fuel to reach and return from a depot) around 20 minutes to climb to 4000m (this is the minimum safe altitude as the super sniper flak will destroy anything that's travelling level in a straight line for too long).

I love the new lay out of the factories however, the amount of ground kills in the new building is a bit ridiculous. On one mission when the enemy factory was at 0% damage, I dropped my 1000kg bombs into the middle of built up clusters of buildings. Total number of ground kills was 19.

Another mission which was identical to the above resulted in 22 ground kills.

On the previous campaign I would have averaged 52 ground kills for 2 x 1000kg direct hits on the factory. 

So now I fly on average for 1 hour to get 19 ground kills. I feel it is no longer worth my while flying these missions to the factories.

If I take 4 x 250kg bombs in a HE111 or a 1000kg bomb JU87, ​I can score up to 30 ground kills from a direct hit on an enemy train station, in less than half the time. This reinforces the waste of time and effort in targeting depots on long range missions. 

I know its not all about personal scores.... but.... it kinda is too. 

I now find myself doing stupid stuff in a heavy bomber just to try and get a handful of kills which I would not have done previously. I love making the 1 hour round trip missions but only if it's worth my while.

I don't want to sound like I'm moaning because I love the server and immersion it brings, I just feel frustrated that a fighter can rack up more ground killed from attacking a convoy in the same time it takes me to travel an immense distance into enemy territory and back. 

I'm sure I wont be the only long range bomber pilot to think this way and I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Anyway, 

Happy flying pilots and I'll see you on the other side.

#4322 =LG=Leutnant_Artur

=LG=Leutnant_Artur

Posted 16 June 2017 - 13:29

Well leno and what should Pe2 pilot say with two 500 bombs ?  :)  They make less target destroyed than this two 1000kg bombs and to be honest destroying ~15 targets in one flight is a lot. We've developed this campaign to make it little bit harder than last one and I don't think we want to change it.

Btw you (blue) are making good efforts bombing depots on every map and because of that red side takes hard times in their offensive actions. :ph34r:

#4323 19//Darbzy

19//Darbzy

Posted 16 June 2017 - 14:58

This TAW campaign is great, keep up the good work!  S!

19//Darbzy

"I'm not completely worthless. I can be used as a bad example"

#4324 StG77_HvB

StG77_HvB

Posted 16 June 2017 - 18:21

Having a great time flying with all of you - - - - -

youtube.com/watch?v=evFvJZ_PpTw

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Processor: Intel Core i5-4690k, Memory: 32GB DDR3, GPU: 2X EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SLI, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, VKB Gladiator Pro, CH Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals. 

#4325 19//Tuesday

19//Tuesday

Posted 16 June 2017 - 20:41

Nice one!

#4326 I./ZG15_Lafutsch

I./ZG15_Lafutsch

Posted 18 June 2017 - 17:10

Very nice Video, awesome Job!

#4327 =LG=Leutnant_Artur

=LG=Leutnant_Artur

Posted 18 June 2017 - 19:36

youtube.com/watch?v=3yh2InVsFag

RIP Scharfi (67 kills) :salute:

#4328 I./ZG15_Karl_Modeller

I./ZG15_Karl_Modeller

Posted 18 June 2017 - 22:30

This new AAA-accuracy is very annoying. Nobody can survive an attack run because at least your wing gets wripped off after 3 sec dive at the latest. Even at 4,5k level bomb and turn away with 400km/h in a shallow dive with frequently changing of direction, I got my two engines hit fatally after 10 sec after the weapons opened fire. It is no more fun flying at TAW!!

#4329 LLv34_Temuri

LLv34_Temuri

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:45

Fun fact: the Finnish airforce found out Ju-88 doesn't really have a Vne, so diving to escape fighters was a sound tactic. Too bad it's not modelled correctly here.

32ux.jpg

#4330 19//p3zman

19//p3zman
  • Founder

Posted 19 June 2017 - 15:09

This new AAA-accuracy is very annoying. Nobody can survive an attack run because at least your wing gets wripped off after 3 sec dive at the latest. Even at 4,5k level bomb and turn away with 400km/h in a shallow dive with frequently changing of direction, I got my two engines hit fatally after 10 sec after the weapons opened fire. It is no more fun flying at TAW!!

To me it sounds like you were alone against those air defenses.  If that is the case you are lucky to have survived honestly.

We (the 19//) flew a couple rounds on TAW as Axis the other day and had much luck destroying the AAA at a tank column using 4x BF-109E7's with all the armor.  You are going to get hit more than likely and that armor really does increase your survivability.

IMO, if you are going to attack a target alone you need to take the air defenses out before you attempt any attack.  By that I mean dedicate a flight just for destroying AAA, no other reason.  Take a 109E or 110E with all the armor added, two 500kg bombs (in 110) and dive in on the AAA from a decent altitude.  Do not fly over the target, start on the ends and work your way inward with the AAA.  Remember to egress low after your strike, I mean treetops, because if you zoom up you are allowing all the AAA guns at the target to shoot at you, flying out on the deck allows only a couple of guns to shoot at you.  Once you have gotten out of light AAA range, climb back up to about 1-2km and repeat.  If you take a hit it's time to RTB. 

That is with cannon's mostly.  If you take the two 500kg bombs, and let's say you're attacking an enemy defensive position, then drop the two 500kg's semi-close to each other inside the defensive position, anywhere really, then run.  The concussive shock from those bombs will destroy light AAA even outside the blast radius, so two 500kg's can knock out the AAA on one side of a defensive position in one attack.  So do that attack twice (two flights) and the dangerous AAA will be mostly gone and you can attack with immunity... until the fighters show up.

To be honest, taking out AAA on the VVS is easier because you can be more aggressive with it.  As a LW pilot you need to be strictly disciplined.  The aircraft are more fragile but that doesn't mean they are worse.  They can egress and climb back up to a safe altitude quicker, so it's a tradeoff. 

Also, last but not least... No Heroes!

That means if you have the thought "one last pass" it's already too late for you.  Might as well ditch and save yourself the trouble of thinking you can make it back to base.

"You and I have the courage to say to our enemies, 'there is a price we will not pay; there is a point beyond which they must not advance.'"

#4331 19//Tuesday

19//Tuesday

Posted 19 June 2017 - 15:33

I second what p3z said above.  (We had 4 109 E7s, 1 110E and 1 Ju88 (me))

I took a number of hits from AAA but because we made a single fast diving pass, I did not take critical damage and flew home safely.

The AAA has already been reduced compared to previous campaigns as far as I've noticed, but still a foolish idea to try and attack alone.  I see most of the folks complaining about it fly in alone, slow, and at a shallow angle.  I don't even get a chance to shoot at them because they are so suicidal in their approach that the flak deals with them before I can open fire.

#4332 I./ZG15_Karl_Modeller

I./ZG15_Karl_Modeller

Posted 19 June 2017 - 17:17

Thanks, I will switch to Ju52 supply missions.

#4333 Kai_Lae

Kai_Lae
  • Founder

Posted 19 June 2017 - 18:01

Also suppressive fire is your friend. Attack the column from either end flying in line with it. As you do, shoot. It's irrelevant if you hit anything, you just want bullets striking the ground near the AAA crews. This will make them abandon their guns and run away, at least for a while. Unmanned guns can't shoot you, and are easy to destroy.

#4334 III./JG5_Georgelee

III./JG5_Georgelee
  • Founder

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:19

If I got hit by enemy and Ruined my propeller when landing  it will count as Shot down by enemy  right?

I have some experience that I got hit by enemy at the first and ditch on the field(with out landing gear) or land perfectly on the airfield but engine stoped after that.  they all counts SHOT DOWN by enemy (both Scoring board in game and Web side 

once I got hit by some VVS 7.62 guns.(maybe got 2-3 holes on my wing)  I dont even notice that until I landed on our airfield but Ruined my propeller because of my error to Miscalculated the speed

It end up I was shot down by that guy

Then the last few days I Let some VVS black smoking planes escape and wait for the Kill counts

Sometimes I never got the Kill. because the pilot manage to land the plnes with out damege the propeller or back to the base before the engine quiets(That is totally acceptable)

But sometimes  I already got the kill on the Scoring board in game but nothing on the web side

its happend 4 times at least in 7 days

Last time I even asked the VVS player after I got the kill on the Scoring board in game and he told me he never made it back to the AF and crashed on a open field. But I got no kills on web when i check it after the game

This is a really annoying thing that  I hope can get a answer

Is it Simply Calculation error of the sever or some game mechanic? in some Cases it will no show on the web side? 

#4335 RedEye_Tumu

RedEye_Tumu
  • Founder

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:37

yes, i think flack its little poor this edition

:)

#4336 ATAG_dB

ATAG_dB
  • Founder

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:33

I like your server it is fun and well done, a lot of though and work have been done for sure.

May I suggest in the next campaign to replace the name ditching for crash land or simply crash in the stats.  

Ditch or ditching only happen when you crash on water not on land ;)

https://en.wikipedia...i/Water_landing

http://www.dictionar...browse/ditching

Edited by ATAG_dB, 20 June 2017 - 09:33.

#4337 19//Darbzy

19//Darbzy

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:33

Some highlights from TAW earlier this month including some bloopers.

Noting the discussion on flak, yes it's hard to avoid but not impossible when flying alone. You just need to come in very fast and stay low. Obviously, flying with others increases your chances of making it. If you make more than one pass you are asking for it - just like real life.

I always dive at the target leaving room to increase the angle of the dive. As soon as I see tracer coming up I bunt forward and let it go over the top. It takes the gunners a few seconds to adjust fire, and when they do, bunt forward again. If you get hit then RTB asap. Be disciplined. Fly in a squad if possible (The Nineteenth is always recruiting)

The below video shows this being done both successfully and unsuccessfully:

youtube.com/watch?v=QEvnEqUcVZc

19//Darbzy

"I'm not completely worthless. I can be used as a bad example"

#4338 Martijnvdm

Martijnvdm
  • Founder

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:34

Is the Flak heavier or comparable to RE+? I have quiet some flying time for next weekend, and might chip in if RE's campaign ends. 

Grt M

I7 4790K@4.7 GHz, MSI Z97 Gaming 5, Kingston HyperX Beast (t3) 16GB, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X, Dell S2716DG, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, Windows 10 64

#4339 =LG=Leutnant_Artur

=LG=Leutnant_Artur

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:57

Is the Flak heavier or comparable to RE+? I have quiet some flying time for next weekend, and might chip in if RE's campaign ends. 

Grt M

FLAK is heavier. Its not recommend to attack ground targets alone.

#4340 Martijnvdm

Martijnvdm
  • Founder

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:11

FLAK is heavier. Its not recommend to attack ground targets alone.

I'm not in a squad anymore, so i'll have to see how i will manage. 

Thnx 

Grt M

I7 4790K@4.7 GHz, MSI Z97 Gaming 5, Kingston HyperX Beast (t3) 16GB, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X, Dell S2716DG, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, Windows 10 64

#4341 RedEye_Tumu

RedEye_Tumu
  • Founder

Posted 20 June 2017 - 13:03

martin, try ask on chat for join with others attackers. If u have ts, try use ts , ask on chat for join to some channel.

good luck.

dont attack alone

;)

#4342 =LG=Kathon

=LG=Kathon
  • Founder

Posted 20 June 2017 - 20:56

Can I make a suggestion / give my opinion on this campaign's changes from the view of a heavy bomber pilot.

Yes. It's need to be improved. The new depot is bigger but it's repaired to fast. Destroying one building in depot will be counted as 3-4 ground kills. 

If I got hit by enemy and Ruined my propeller when landing  it will count as Shot down by enemy  right?

I have some experience that I got hit by enemy at the first and ditch on the field(with out landing gear) or land perfectly on the airfield but engine stoped after that.  they all counts SHOT DOWN by enemy (both Scoring board in game and Web side 

once I got hit by some VVS 7.62 guns.(maybe got 2-3 holes on my wing)  I dont even notice that until I landed on our airfield but Ruined my propeller because of my error to Miscalculated the speed

It end up I was shot down by that guy

Then the last few days I Let some VVS black smoking planes escape and wait for the Kill counts

Sometimes I never got the Kill. because the pilot manage to land the plnes with out damege the propeller or back to the base before the engine quiets(That is totally acceptable)

But sometimes  I already got the kill on the Scoring board in game but nothing on the web side

its happend 4 times at least in 7 days

Last time I even asked the VVS player after I got the kill on the Scoring board in game and he told me he never made it back to the AF and crashed on a open field. But I got no kills on web when i check it after the game

This is a really annoying thing that  I hope can get a answer

Is it Simply Calculation error of the sever or some game mechanic? in some Cases it will no show on the web side? 

If you get damage and destroy your airplane during landing it's counted as SHOT DOWN and you lose this airplane.

If you are SHOT DOWN and then landed on the airfield (by gliding etc.) then it's counted as SHOT DOWN but you don't lose this airplane.

If you damage enemy airplane and end your sortie before enemy plane crash then you don't get AK, here is example: 

http://taw-server.de.../JG5_Georgelee 

I have added this problem to my "to-do" list so it should be fixed. 

I like your server it is fun and well done, a lot of though and work have been done for sure.

May I suggest in the next campaign to replace the name ditching for crash land or simply crash in the stats.  

Ditch or ditching only happen when you crash on water not on land ;)

https://en.wikipedia...i/Water_landing

http://www.dictionar...browse/ditching

ok :)

"We’re waiting for you, red plague. To save us all from the black death. Waiting for a salvation.  
To be welcomed with disgust. By a country that’s already been hanged and quartered."
taw_bar.jpg

#4343 Banzaii

Banzaii
  • Founder

Posted 20 June 2017 - 21:44

I really wish we could get everyone on a common Teamspeak for usage in this campaign.  I took a half a year break from IL-2 and TAW and numbers seem to have gone up a bit, but we're still relying on chat to have comms.  I've not seen more than 5 dudes at one time on the TAW TS, and the official has been a smattering of dudes doing different things it seems.  Even with the language barrier one dude can speak broken English usually at the least allowing some overall coordination.  This community would explode if we could get that "your part of the family" feel going on, I think TS is where it begins.

"We use our own TS is not a viable response when we're talking large scale Tactical Air War where coord. is key.

#4344 III./JG5_Georgelee

III./JG5_Georgelee
  • Founder

Posted 20 June 2017 - 22:21

Yes. It's need to be improved. The new depot is bigger but it's repaired to fast. Destroying one building in depot will be counted as 3-4 ground kills. 

If you get damage and destroy your airplane during landing it's counted as SHOT DOWN and you lose this airplane.

If you are SHOT DOWN and then landed on the airfield (by gliding etc.) then it's counted as SHOT DOWN but you don't lose this airplane.

If you damage enemy airplane and end your sortie before enemy plane crash then you don't get AK, here is example: 

http://taw-server.de.../JG5_Georgelee 

I have added this problem to my "to-do" list so it should be fixed. 

Its happened so many times and I juast dont kown what I did wrong

now It can explain why I cant get my AK 

I did landed to refuel before he crashed last time, mabye I did the same as well few times before

I gess I have to stay in air little longer until my opponents crash before you guys fix this problem :D

And somtimes I damaged a enemy first and my squad mate finished him later

It count as my kill in the In Game Scor Board but count as his kill on the web side after 

is this problem also will be fix?

another question: is it shooting pilot after he bailed out (shooting parachute) Irregularities?

I got shot once by some LG guy before,

I gess because I dameged him and Was shot down after not by him but anther VVS player on his side, he didnt got the kill

mebye he was pissed off by that and shot me for two pass but didnt hit my pilot

I kown that there is no Annotations in the RULES on the web side to against this

But Is this behavior allowed?(shooting parachute)

And if I got killed in parachute its also counted me WAS KILLED or not?

Edited by III./JG5_Georgelee, 20 June 2017 - 22:45.

#4345 =LG=Leutnant_Artur

=LG=Leutnant_Artur

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:50

Vulching and shooting parachutes is allowed. If someone shoote your chute and you will hit ground then youll be dead.

#4346 III./JG5_xshinel

III./JG5_xshinel

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:20

Vulching and shooting parachutes is allowed. If someone shoote your chute and you will hit ground then youll be dead.

So... The Pandora box has been opened?

For victory!

#4347 =LG=Kathon

=LG=Kathon
  • Founder

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:22

Its happened so many times and I juast dont kown what I did wrong

now It can explain why I cant get my AK 

I did landed to refuel before he crashed last time, mabye I did the same as well few times before

I gess I have to stay in air little longer until my opponents crash before you guys fix this problem :D

And somtimes I damaged a enemy first and my squad mate finished him later

It count as my kill in the In Game Scor Board but count as his kill on the web side after 

is this problem also will be fix?

another question: is it shooting pilot after he bailed out (shooting parachute) Irregularities?

I got shot once by some LG guy before,

I gess because I dameged him and Was shot down after not by him but anther VVS player on his side, he didnt got the kill

mebye he was pissed off by that and shot me for two pass but didnt hit my pilot

I kown that there is no Annotations in the RULES on the web side to against this

But Is this behavior allowed?(shooting parachute)

And if I got killed in parachute its also counted me WAS KILLED or not?

If you only damage an airplane you don't know if he landed or crashed. In game there are logs and table score which shows you what happened next but in real life you wouldn't get a confirmed shot down, I guess.

Game score board sometimes shows something different that is in the log files. TAW uses log files. Very often there is no information about who shot down enemy plane at all. Developers should fix it.

Shooting at parachute is not forbidden but we don't encourage to do it. It's up to pilot decision.

"We’re waiting for you, red plague. To save us all from the black death. Waiting for a salvation.  
To be welcomed with disgust. By a country that’s already been hanged and quartered."
taw_bar.jpg

#4348 =LG=Kathon

=LG=Kathon
  • Founder

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:55

Small update:

• Every destroyed building in the depot gives 3 ground kills (not 1 as before)
  • Depot is repaired only by about 5% after 3 missions without damage (before about 15%). Now it should be easier to destroy it completely. If destroyed it's unavailable for the next 15 missions. Capturing city with enemy depot destroys it completely.
  • Tanks convoy after battle of enemy city damage defense position and airfield too now. To gets better effect you should damage this airfield by bombers. 
  • After capturing enemy city airfield is closed (repair status) for one mission now (there was bug and was closed for 2 missions)
  • New Truck Limit = 2000, if side exceeds this limit all supply convoys are reduced by half.
  • Cities can generate supply convoys less frequent now. 

So damaging and destroying objectives now should last much longer and have more impact. Supply convoys and trains are the easiest objectives to destroy. If you constantly destroy them in consecutive missions sooner or later an enemy city will be out of supply with weak defense and heavily damage airfield, easy to be captured.

Edited by =LG=Kathon, 22 June 2017 - 10:56.

taw_bar.jpg

#4349 I./ZG15_Karl_Modeller

I./ZG15_Karl_Modeller

Posted Yesterday, 21:52

server is down!?

#4350 =LG=Leutnant_Artur

=LG=Leutnant_Artur

Posted Yesterday, 22:10

Yes. I've already reported that to Kathon.

#4351 =LG=Kathon

=LG=Kathon
  • Founder

Posted Today, 00:50

Restarted

taw_bar.jpg

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users