=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

Pand-

Do you have the numbers behind those graphs available? I'd be curious about things like the total pilot-hours per side as well as the the average difference and some other stuff. If you have them handy, I might play with them some if I have time. CSV or JSON or something would be great.

Thanks!

New TAW campaign starts on 30.10.2016 Sunday morning. 

Changes:

- New Moscow map (north part)

- Instant death fixed. Sortie when you immediately die after spawn is not counted anymore (result canceled)

- New plane set:

planeset_v1.4.2.jpg

- He-111 2xSC1000 allowed. After each map pilot gets new planeset depending on the map number. Planeset for map number #6 and more is the same as for #5.  Campaign wins side which first win 5 maps in total. There may be from 5 maps (5:0) to 9 maps (5:4) . 

- "Info" column added to sortie list. You may find there number of combat missions (CM) gained in each sortie and replenished planes by CM as well. Info "not valid plane" means that pilot spawned with airplane which he didn't have e.g. pilot had only one P-40 and crashed it, then during the same mission he took another P-40. In that case second sortie will marked  "not valid plane" - no  AK/GK, ditching or combat missions are counted. Death, disco, lost plane is counted. 

- To close and capture enemy airfield 90% damage and 8 or more transport planes is needed now.

- Destroyed static planes are also counted to total airplanes lost. 

- Death or disco doesn't reset ditched planes.

- Different clouds altitude.

- Kick time extended to ~40 seconds

- Arrows pointed at attacked city added to tanks convoy; defense position is rotated towards tanks (it was always north oriented before)

- No BOK awards this time :(

Registration is open. 

Good luck!

Next step is optimization generated maps (AA and some ground units will be disabled when no enemy plane is nearby => lower server CPU usage) We hope that it allow us to increase number of slots to 70 maybe or add more ground units. But that is future...

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure what is more interesting, the numbers themselves or the curious silence that follows...

Perhaps you could make a pie chart?

I am genuinely curious what u expect somebody says. However I don't want to argue, I just want to mention my thoughts there

And btw I am not a mathematician. However averaged values can be immensely misleading and they are read wrong on a daily basis in the economy around the world.

For example in the second season some guys argued "see! only 3 players more on avg"

Yeah tells only a part of the story. its important to see how the difference arose. Lets simplify the whole thing to this: an example

team1  team2

25        10

25        50

25        10

Team 1 has - oh wonder - a avg player number of 25 and team2 a avg number of 23.3

So 1.7 players less. But when had the second team actually 2 players less? Right, never.

Next question is, is the player advantage in period 2 enough to cancel out the disadvantage of period one and three?

So I don't want to be the party pooper. However be careful with averages! You can't just wave around with that.

As I said I am not a mathematician, but what I know is that it isn't so easy.

Edited by DerSheriff
  • Upvote 5

What do you want? Luftwaffe pilots come here and say with tears in our eyes : we are so shit?

We lost. And we are aware of. Put your salt back into the cupboard

So sensitive... why would I put my salt back in the cupboard?  

[Edited]

I am genuinely curious what u expect somebody says. However I don't want to argue, I just want to mention my thoughts there

And btw I am not a mathematician. However averaged values can be immensely misleading and they are read wrong on a daily basis in the economy around the world.

For example in the second season some guys argued "see! only 3 players more on avg"

Yeah tells only a part of the story. its important to see how the difference arose. Lets simplify the whole thing to this: an example

team1  team2

25        10

25        50

25        10

Team 1 has - oh wonder - a avg player number of 25 and team2 a avg number of 23.3

So 1.7 players less. But when had the second team actually 2 players less? Right, never.

Next question is, is the player advantage in period 2 enough to cancel out the disadvantage of period one and three?

So I don't want to be the party pooper. However be careful with averages! You can't just wave around with that.

As I said I am not a mathematician, but what I know is that it isn't so easy.

The cool part is how you can go look at the graph and see the actual numbers at any given time.  That's what those red and blue lines mean.  Each side enjoyed small number advantages from time to time.  You can match those up to the map change events as well (when one side only has 2 airfields left, for example, they tend to have a lot less players, etc).  Averages were mentioned as an item of interest, not as the be-all-end-all to say that numbers were perfectly even at all times.

Edited by Bearcat
Language
  • Upvote 2

How can I change my side-affiliation, former VVS and this campaign LW? Does everyone have to register again anyways; or do I have to write an admin before the campaign starts?

How can I change my side-affiliation, former VVS and this campaign LW? Does everyone have to register again anyways; or do I have to write an admin before the campaign starts?

Each campaign you re-register, look forward to flying blue with you, sirah.

Pand-

Do you have the numbers behind those graphs available? I'd be curious about things like the total pilot-hours per side as well as the the average difference and some other stuff. If you have them handy, I might play with them some if I have time. CSV or JSON or something would be great.

Thanks!

I'll see what I can pull from the database!
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Kathon, i did fly some DED random expert plus but i liked TAW more :) great that i can go back to TAW and those changes are intresting to check.

But no locking on un-historical removed headrest... :P ...

Don't why but I smelt it coming

Edit : I am full in for historical accuracy ... But if it works only one way it is called a bias...

And biased server rule often end badly

Edited by LAL_Trinkof

Am I correct, the Lagg3 23mm and 37mm cannon is blocked for the entire campaign?

No, blocked only on #2 map, then is available.
  • Upvote 1

Looks like fun!

My only comment would be that I think Map 2 should be Moscow and Map 4 should be Stalingrad, leaving the plane sets as presented.  No biggy.

But no locking on un-historical removed headrest... :P ...

Don't why but I smelt it coming

Edit : I am full in for historical accuracy ... But if it works only one way it is called a bias...

And biased server rule often end badly

Oh no ... so we are the bad guys now ... :(

No, blocked only on #2 map, then is available.

Ah - I thought the same as Hill. Now I am reading the table correctly! Thanks for the clarification...

Edited by 12.OIAE_Gosling

Oh no ... so we are the bad guys now ... :(

No :) Thanks for your server... 

But I see a lot of people complaining about the 23mm on Lagg for the sake of historical accuracy, which I fully support .... But it goes both way ... removed headrest is completly out of place. Player should unlock maybe 1 F2 or F4 with removed headrest option AFTER they reached a certain rank. This was an uncommon modification, STRONGLY prohibited by high command, and unit commander .... and I guess in a real war, with real peoples, the armor protecting your head was not removed unless by suicidal or stupid people ... 

And I do not say this as a "Red fanatic" I fly both sides, mostly blue since 1 month, and probably will do for the coming month. 

Historic loadout are always welcome ... but have to be both ways :P unless this... it is called a bias

Good Luck Gentleman, and dont schoot chutes :-)

Could you stop the chutes topic please? The statement is clear, YES you can shoot chutes, NO you don't have to do this, it is YOUR choice do it or not. TOPIC CLOSED!

• Upvote 3

Could you stop the chutes topic please? The statement is clear, YES you can shoot chutes, NO you don't have to do this, it is YOUR choice do it or not. TOPIC CLOSED!

Could you please open a dictionary at a words called "irony", "humor" and "sarkasm" ?

Could you please open a dictionary at a words called "irony", "humor" and "sarkasm" ?

It is not so easy to catch the irony through text, especially without knowing the person.

• Upvote 1

Hello Kanton

Again, many thanks to the TAW Team for setting up this awesome campaing.

I don't know if this is wanted: I spawned in a Stuka with a 1000kg Liebeszäpfle because I forgot that it is forbidden. Then I immediately quit to change the bombload. I was kicked from the server during the 15 seconds countdown.

May you please extend the kick-timer about additional 15 seconds?

Fly fast and bomb hard o7

Emuyen

Edited by Emuyen

I don't know if this is wanted: I spawned in a Stuka with a 1000kg Liebeszäpfle because I forgot that it is forbidden. Then I immediately quit to change the bombload. I was kicked from the server during the 15 seconds countdown.

May you please extend the kick-timer about additional 15 seconds?

It's extended to 40 seconds already. From logs point of view you spawned at 17:12:30 and was kicked at 17:13:34 so it's more than 15 seconds. 

Had great fun flying this for the first time today!

Felt like I was doing something a bit wrong though, but I can't quite put my finger on it. ;)

z5B8MTd.jpg

WooHoo ! the server is running the the new TAW campaign. 

I'm still kinda new to this TAW campaign thing and I still unsure how it works. I notice that I got a few kills last night in game and they were on the scoreboard but when I checked the TAW stats pages they didn't count and 1 of them I shot down a bf109E7 flown by a human but it said I killed a bot and anyway I didn't get a kill on TAW for the other  humans I shot down?

I'm not complaining, just trying to understand the rules. Maybe nobody gets shared kills? I don't know. They show up in the mission log but not in the stats . Can somebody explain or point to a page that does please ?

Edited by DirtyRotnFlieger

Bug "not valid plane" for transport airplanes fixed. 

ok, but my whole squad had "not valid plane" for all flights in Mission #8 (it all was ju87 Flights)

whats going on there? are our points lost? :/

Blue players, we need to collectively make better decisions. As of this post, we're already at double the losses of pilots than the reds. Source:

DVLgaSm.jpg

While I'm not the best pilot in the world, maybe I can provide some assistance to helping you make better decisions.

•  Running is extremely viable tactic; don't waste away your life just because it's a virtual one. Unlike other games, you can't just enter the fray of 15 planes, and hope to come away unscathed.Try to think like a real pilot would. "Do I have support? Can I get away? Is the enemy unaware that I'm there? Do I have numerical superiority? Why should I enter this furball? Will it be beneficial to my team at this moment... long term?"
  • Always be on voice communications with at least one other player. In that same vein, please fly together. That means if you have to wait a few minutes for your friend to return from combat because you got shot down, then do that. It's a great opportunity to take a break, get water, smoke, or just clear your eyes of looking at tiny dust specs on your screen. 
  • Stick together while flying. This means that if you see a spec 10k away, that you shouldn't leave your lead element. Inform the leader, and let them make the decision to press or not. You stay with your lead (if you're a wingman) always and forever. Like marriage; until death - you do not part. If you're the element leader, don't go full bore. Go 80-90 percent power; to give your wingmen a chance to stay with you. Let them know where you're going and why. 
  • Make decisions before you fly out. Should you attack or defend? Should you hit that objective? Is there more players on the enemy team? What airfield did most of them take off from? Why did they make that choice? How can I counter it? As an example, I've seen Stukas taking off from a local airfield to hit Red's defense marker when we don't even have any tanks left. Why are you attacking the defense marker? Our Blue tanks are gone! /facepalm
  • Flak is extremely deadly. While it's okay to attack an objective that has active air defense positions, I highly advise to destroy the air defense first. The best way (in my opinion) to destroy the AAA over an objective, is to have one pilot distract the AAA, while another attacks it. Often the AAA will switch to the attacking plane, when that happens that plane becomes the 'distractor' while the original distractor becomes the new attacker. This works even better if you have multiple attackers. 
  • Save your plane, but also save your life. We're already at double the losses for pilots. Most of these losses (looking at the data) are from pilot captures. Don't be afraid to fly conservatively until we get more pilot kills. This means flying defensively over our side for a mission or two. I'm not saying we shouldn't be on the attack; however, when you get jumped you can at least bail out over our side and save yourself from a pilot death or capture. 
  • Be reflective of your missions – whether they’re successful or not. What went well? What could be better? How can you improve? Record your tracks. Watch other's tracks. 
Edited by Sketch
  • Upvote 9