Jump to content
=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

Recommended Posts

I know that TAW is not perfectly balanced now, but IMHO this project is the very best experience the game can offer... Anything else is not even close.

Edited by mincer
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, [GCA]T1m270 said:

PLEASE all on Red. Type in team chat when you are attacking objs or big flights, it makes the gameplay amazing going in 15 man flights! 

 

Not everyone is on the Ts or some small discord, Just type in chat at the least to improve the teamwork.

 

TAW has had some real highlights in the gameplay for me, Red flight and friends missions in big wings!!! Just need the rest of the team to keep it up and call out objectives, so we can group up more! it improves the game so much.

 

Oooorrr you could join your own channel in the provided TAW Teamspeak, and use Whisper lists and Channel Commanders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 9:36 PM, 7./JG26_Smokejumper said:

I'm red this round but I'm usually in a 109 as my Staffel tag implies, it's you. Stay out of the PE2 firing arc, easy peesy...... Low six is bad, shallow angle high six is bad. less than 45 degree attack from port or starboard is bad.

 

You really don't understand the fact there IS a problem with the aiming capability of gunners. I am not talking about tactics to attack a bomber without risk, I know them.

Edited by F/JG300_Faucon
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

 

You really don't understand the fact there IS a problem with the aiming capability of gunners. I am not talking about tactics to attack a bomber without risk, I know them.

 

Knowing and employing them are two different things. If you where skilled at angling an attack outside gunner firing arcs you would not be whining.

 

Turning the gunners down at all makes bombers easy targets. The only real complaint you would have with gunners which we are not going to laugh at is if you said, "gunners are making miracle shots under high G loads."

 

We can get on side with that complaint.

Edited by 7./JG26_Smokejumper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys,

 

I've got a minor point of confusion with the manual in this statement:

To completely destroy the airfield you need to destroy hangars, fuel dumps and aircraft. Only frontline airfields can be attacked (they have info “Attack!” on the map in game). If airfield is damaged more than 75% then it’s closed.

Am I misreading this or are only frontline airfields (ones listed as 'Attacked!') vulnerable to level bombing or is this only in reference to their capacity to be attacked by tanks?

 

Essentially I'm asking if all airfields are susceptible to bombing at all times (unless closed/destroyed.) Thanks in advance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, AirshowDisaster said:

Am I misreading this or are only frontline airfields (ones listed as 'Attacked!') vulnerable to level bombing or is this only in reference to their capacity to be attacked by tanks?

 

 

Only frontline airfield can be bombed, yes

If you bomb an other airfield, it will not count anything in your TAW stats (I experienced it few days ago <_<)

Edited by -IRRE-Centx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Gents, I can't understand why I'm banned for limited time after last mission finished few min ago. Thanks for explaination

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Otto_bann said:

Hi Gents, I can't understand why I'm banned for limited time after last mission finished few min ago. Thanks for explaination

 

Maybe you tried to connect when it was full? I think there is a slot reservation feature during EU prime time to ensure the hosts of the campaign can connect to the server and if you try to connect when that is in place you get banned for 15 min

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, 3.IAP_Cassius said:

:) Six attackers...

48884392917643779865.jpg

 

 

Hey I recognize this il-2, the missing left tail aileron is my job!
Really nice and intense fight :salute:



I shot at 4 different aircrafts in 10 minutes, Voloko was the new Berloga this evening!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

 

Oooorrr you could join your own channel in the provided TAW Teamspeak, and use Whisper lists and Channel Commanders.

 

So help a fella out. According to the TAW website I used taw-server.de:9988 for the server address, but I can't find the password.

Found it the server, I was looking for it on the website...silly me.:blush:

Edited by busdriver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The scoring its different in the game than in TAW website.

In game got 2 kills , in TAW statistics 1 kill credited.

 

How does it work, why soem kills get credited and some others dont , are the shared ones assist in the statistics and credited in game?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

How does it work, why soem kills get credited and some others dont , are the shared ones assist in the statistics and credited in game?

 

Basically the in-game system gives the kill to the pilot who made the most damage, while TAW system gives the kill to the last pilot who damaged the enemy.

I don't know if it's the exact way how TAW system works, but it looks like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, -IRRE-Centx said:

 

Basically the in-game system gives the kill to the pilot who made the most damage, while TAW system gives the kill to the last pilot who damaged the enemy.

I don't know if it's the exact way how TAW system works, but it looks like this.

 

It has to be a bug somewhere. I have not awarded 3 kills, which nobody else was involved. So the planes in falling down, no credit. 😞

 

Strange.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully I don't start any balance flame again. But the numbers have been relatively well balanced during CET prime time last three days. It almost exactly correlates with the map #3 start. Anyway I'm surprised that nobody is complaining now when the server is flooded by 20+ VVS  fighting against 0 LW ;)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, I./JG1_Pragr said:

Hopefully I don't start any balance flame again. But the numbers have been relatively well balanced during CET prime time last three days. It almost exactly correlates with the map #3 start. Anyway I'm surprised that nobody is complaining now when the server is flooded by 20+ VVS  fighting against 0 LW ;)

 

 

It's business as usual. Don't worry, you underestimate peoples imagination to complain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, 335th_GRDaedalos said:

 

It has to be a bug somewhere. I have not awarded 3 kills, which nobody else was involved. So the planes in falling down, no credit. 😞

 

Strange.

 

 

There are bugs for sure, some people yesterday were receiving 2 kills for 1 shot down plane.

 

 

 

 

46 minutes ago, I./JG1_Pragr said:

Hopefully I don't start any balance flame again. But the numbers have been relatively well balanced during CET prime time last three days. It almost exactly correlates with the map #3 start. Anyway I'm surprised that nobody is complaining now when the server is flooded by 20+ VVS  fighting against 0 LW ;)

 

 

 

 

Well, more than the imbalance this morning (which is countered by an imbalance in favor of Germans during the afternoon), the problem is the complete lack of strategy on German side.

 

Yesterday evening we could have taken Brykovo by all focusing it. I said it in-game, ZERO REPLY. The problem is that German tanks were also attacking Lotoshino at the same time. And I don't know why, every German attacked Lotoshino instead of focusing Brykovo.
BRYKOVO IS ONE BASE AWAY FROM RUSSIAN SOUTH DEPOT = if we took it, the Russian depot was doomed.

Result :
- Lotoshino was captured, Byrkovo was untouched.

- Russian depot was not finished, and during the night as always Russians counter-attacked hard and pushed us back west.

- Russian depot is still there, and self-repaired over the night.

 

= everything done by Germans yesterday was reduced to zero, because everybody focused a goddamn useless airfield in the center of the map instead of focusing a strategic one.

 

 

Meanwhile, VVS is winning hard by plane attrition, and the only solution for German is to win by territory domination.
Which will never happen because the strategy is (almost) inexistant blue side (kuddos to the few ones who try to bring strategy into German side, they will recognize themselves).

Edited by -IRRE-Centx
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, -IRRE-Centx said:

 

There are bugs for sure, some people yesterday were receiving 2 kills for 1 shot down plane.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Well, more than the imbalance this morning (which is countered by an imbalance in favor of Germans during the afternoon), the problem is the complete lack of strategy on German side.

 

Yesterday evening we could have taken Brykovo by all focusing it. I said it in-game, ZERO REPLY. The problem is that German tanks were also attacking Lotoshino at the same time. And I don't know why, every German attacked Lotoshino instead of focusing Brykovo.
BRYKOVO IS ONE BASE AWAY FROM RUSSIAN SOUTH DEPOT = if we took it, the Russian depot was doomed.

Result :
- Lotoshino was captured, Byrkovo was untouched.

- Russian depot was not finished, and during the night as always Russians counter-attacked hard and pushed us back west.

- Russian depot is still there, and self-repaired over the night.

 

= everything done by Germans yesterday was reduced to zero, because everybody focused a goddamn useless airfield in the center of the map instead of focusing a strategic one.

 

 

Meanwhile, VVS is winning hard by plane attrition, and the only solution for German is to win by territory domination.
Which will never happen because the strategy is (almost) inexistant blue side (kuddos to the few ones who try to bring strategy into German side, they will recognize themselves).

Yes, previous campaign was won by the blues because there was much better co-operation. Now the reds are winning because of the same thing.

 

Not that hard to understand exactly. But I'm sure someone will find screenshot to show that it's wrong

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LLv24_Zami said:

Yes, previous campaign was won by the blues because there was much better co-operation. Now the reds are winning because of the same thing.

 

Not that hard to understand exactly. But I'm sure someone will find screenshot to show that it's wrong


Previous campaign was a Blue tidal wave primarily because of Ju-52 being a +1 plane. Now that it's not, Blue is having trouble capturing AFs in the conventional method of shepherding their columns and taking out defenses. 

Having played both sides extensively, both have about the same level of cooperation. Some squads in particular are better than others, but as a whole it's about as equal as can be.

Edited by StG77_Kondor
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, StG77_Kondor said:


Previous campaign was a Blue tidal wave primarily because of Ju-52 being a +1 plane. Now that it's not, Blue is having trouble capturing AFs in the conventional method of shepherding their columns and taking out defenses. 

Having played both sides extensively, both have about the same level of cooperation. Some squads in particular are better than others, but as a whole it's about as equal as can be.

See?

 

When the whining was at the peak point in last campaign, and normal yelling about the Ju-52 raged, it was shown that in that map running there were no para drops at all. If you have been here, I'm sure you remember.

 

It did not stop the whining though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StG77_Kondor said:

Having played both sides extensively, both have about the same level of cooperation. Some squads in particular are better than others, but as a whole it's about as equal as can be.

 

Call me when you will see 15 Ju88 escorted by ~5 fighters like this :

 

58 minutes ago, [GCA]T1m270 said:

Very fun flight from a night this week, think it got up to 15 pe2's with ~5 fighter escort.

 

CdYqh.jpg 

 

 

Never saw more than 5 bombers in formation on German side :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that was really a coordinated mission, it was great.

I spawned by chance at the right time. Maybe some others. Great show, followed by a good fight over the blue factory. 👍

 

41 minutes ago, -IRRE-Centx said:

 

Never saw more than 5 bombers in formation on German side 😕

Never saw more than one. 😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -IRRE-Centx said:

 

Call me when you will see 15 Ju88 escorted by ~5 fighters like this 

 

It would be 5 Ju-88s escorted by 15 109s.

 

The most I've seen this campaign was three He-111s with two 109s.

Edited by 7.GShAP/Silas
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I've seen 4 111s + 1 110, escorted by 2 fighters

 


Oh and I counted 13 109s over an unattacked defensive position, circling at 5k alt and doing nothing useful :dry:

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -IRRE-Centx said:

 

Call me when you will see 15 Ju88 escorted by ~5 fighters like this :

 

Never saw more than 5 bombers in formation on German side :/


Just a few campaigns ago...

Some squads do it (much) better than others. But it's not as simple as a Blue v Red problem. 

 

Edited by StG77_Kondor
Why not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StG77_Kondor said:


Just a few campaigns ago...

 

 

I was talking about the current campaign only...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, -IRRE-Centx said:

 

I was talking about the current campaign only...


That wasn't clear in your general comment but OK. 

It might be time to convince some more 109 only pilots to fly bombers. And talk to the very good solo bomber pilots that are in Blue team to work as a team and hit targets other than depots as a group. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, StG77_Kondor said:

It might be time to convince some more 109 only pilots to fly bombers. 

 

We are quite a few people trying to convince Hartmanns to do something else but eh...

Two days ago, we had to defend our north depot, attacked by two Russian tank columns. We were at least 3 to ask to every pilot to bring bombs on tank columns, even 109s to do jabo missions.
I spawned at north airfield, and I looked around me.
4 109s there, taking off from parking (one failed and crashed into a static plane...), without bomb, and going somewhere south *facepalm*

 

GG to the Russian side, quite an easy win for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StG77_Kondor said:


Previous campaign was a Blue tidal wave primarily because of Ju-52 being a +1 plane. Now that it's not, Blue is having trouble capturing AFs in the conventional method of shepherding their columns and taking out defenses. 
 


And why should it make any bad difference between 'Ju52 is a +1 or not'?
You drop paratroopers and get shot down.
Ju52 is lost for that map in the previous case (+1 plane) but available for the next map.
You fly a good mission afterwards (+3 CM reached or even better allready got 3 CM as backup)
and the Ju52 is available instantly again in the same map...

 

Deci

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JG4_Deciman said:


And why should it make any bad difference between 'Ju52 is a +1 or not'?
You drop paratroopers and get shot down.
Ju52 is lost for that map in the previous case (+1 plane) but available for the next map.
You fly a good mission afterwards (+3 CM reached or even better allready got 3 CM as backup)
and the Ju52 is available instantly again in the same map...

 

Deci

 

 

 

 

When Ju-52 is a +1 every goofball can, once a map, do a kamikaze mission to drop some troops in a zone if one is available, then go fly his 109 or whatever.

 

Almost nobody wants to use his CM to replace a Ju-52, rather a 109 or maybe 110.  So only those who self-select themselves as Ju-52 pilots will make the effort, which is good because it is a powerful tool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 7.GShAP/Silas said:

 

 

When Ju-52 is a +1 every goofball can, once a map, do a kamikaze mission to drop some troops in a zone if one is available, then go fly his 109 or whatever.

 

Almost nobody wants to use his CM to replace a Ju-52, rather a 109 or maybe 110.  So only those who self-select themselves as Ju-52 pilots will make the effort, which is good because it is a powerful tool.

It will stay a powerfull tool in any case.
But you don't need to give 3 CM for a Ju.
If I read it correctly you'll get a Ju additional to any plane received by 3 CM's

 

And pilots having no planes except the +1's will hardly be able do trop troopers somewhere, even if they have a Ju52....

 

Edited by JG4_Deciman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, -IRRE-Centx said:

 

Basically the in-game system gives the kill to the pilot who made the most damage, while TAW system gives the kill to the last pilot who damaged the enemy.

I don't know if it's the exact way how TAW system works, but it looks like this.

It works in different way. If a kill is reported in a log file then an attacker and a victim is read from the log file.

 

But very often if a victim is only damaged and he crashes it is reported in log files as "victim killed victim" or there is no id of the attacker at all ( it's a bug reported a very long time ago) so its not possible to get real attacker from the log file. In that case the script gets the last pilot who damaged this victim.

 

I have a plan to change it to pilot who made the most damage.

 

 

8 hours ago, 335th_GRDaedalos said:

 

It has to be a bug somewhere. I have not awarded 3 kills, which nobody else was involved. So the planes in falling down, no credit. 😞

 

Strange.

 

Can you provide the sortie link?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, =LG=Kathon said:

It works in different way. If a kill is reported in a log file then an attacker and a victim is read from the log file.

 

But very often if a victim is only damaged and he crashes it is reported in log files as "victim killed victim" or there is no id of the attacker at all ( it's a bug reported a very long time ago) so its not possible to get real attacker from the log file. In that case the script gets the last pilot who damaged this victim.

 

I have a plan to change it to pilot who made the most damage.

 

Oh ok thanks for the clarification, I understand better now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, =LG=Kathon said:

It works in different way. If a kill is reported in a log file then an attacker and a victim is read from the log file.

 

But very often if a victim is only damaged and he crashes it is reported in log files as "victim killed victim" or there is no id of the attacker at all ( it's a bug reported a very long time ago) so its not possible to get real attacker from the log file. In that case the script gets the last pilot who damaged this victim.

 

I have a plan to change it to pilot who made the most damage.

 

 

Could it be possible to award fractional kills?  Example: 2 pilots involved each get a 0.5 kill credit if they both did a certain level of damage.

Edited by Kilrain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, 7.GShAP/Silas said:

When Ju-52 is a +1 every goofball can, once a map, do a kamikaze mission to drop some troops in a zone if one is available, then go fly his 109 or whatever.

 

Almost nobody wants to use his CM to replace a Ju-52, rather a 109 or maybe 110.  So only those who self-select themselves as Ju-52 pilots will make the effort, which is good because it is a powerful tool.


Correct. And even though that Ju-52 got shot down after or even before dropping the FJ's...the same pilot can try again next mission. Eventually so many Red resources have to be diverted to first - find the drop zone, and then patrol the drop zone for the entire map to guard the base. This in turn affects how many Reds are available to be elsewhere. Again - I don't mind this (actually it's one of my favorite parts of TAW) because it adds another element to teamwork and target prioritization. Difference being in that Red could play their cards right one mission, stop enough Ju-52s from doing their paradrop, but then next mission have to do it all over again because everyone that tried it can try again in another fresh +1 Ju-52. 

One could make the argument that this makes Blue protecting their own tank columns unimportant, as it might be easier to first bomb and damage the target airfield in bombers/jabos to the point that you can paradrop FJs. Then organize a massive flight of 6+ Ju-52's with appropriate escort and capture the AF. This allows the 109 pilots to get their kills as most Red pilots will be target fixated on easy Ju-52 kills. But more importantly it gives Blue the ability to capture an AF in just two mission cycles. 

But what do I know, I'm a TAW noob apparently.:pilot:

Edited by StG77_Kondor
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, StG77_Kondor said:

~wordswordswords~

 

 

Another factor is that the number of drop zones is unlimited.  I've seen 5-6 drop zones during one mission.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, I./JG1_Pragr said:

 Anyway I'm surprised that nobody is complaining now when the server is flooded by 20+ VVS  fighting against 0 LW ;)

 

 

 

 

Actually, we have. I'm VVS now and when it gets to this kind of stack I don't play. Myself and others have been suggesting regional based sign up sheets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×