=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

I don't know if this is possible, but I think it would be good to disable the "plane spotted near xyz" when the server is above a certain number of players. I guess it is ok when there is few playing but I have often been saved by this message when climbing to a target or have been able to intercept peshkas attacking a train. 

More complicated - perhaps a single plane would have a lower chance of being reported compared with 3-4. 

Another thing I was wondering if was possible would be to lock a pilot to the first airfield chosen at the start of the mission, unless of course he lands elsewhere, then he would have to take off from there. Maybe this would be unpopular but I think it could create some interesting situations and give the one team a way to sort of suppress the other. Either one would risk a take off to defend the field or have to stay grounded until it is safe. 

• Upvote 1

Since we're in the mood to make suggestions:

• If you receive damage from an enemy player, before making the cut off of 15 or 25 mins depending on what you're flying - you should be able to get a CM if you land back at base. This campaign more than any other I've been intercepted shortly after take off only to have to limp back to base. 
  • Blue should realize the quicker they win the map, the less time they have to fly their super planes.:P
  • Upvote 2

I know it’s a lot of work to set up/tweak each of the 8 maps currently in each TAW round.  However, I’d like to see another map (or two!) added at the end that has the same/similar plane set as map 8 - which can possibly be tweaked with regards to numbers of each type.

Given the flow of the campaign where early war/maps favor the German aircraft types, it seems the fitting that as improved Russian designs were put into production that we should have more maps with mainly those advanced designs as well.  For example, have a max of 2 La5FN, Yak-1b and Yak-7b, etc instead of 1, similarly for the corresponding German aircraft.

Edited by AKA_Relent
  • Upvote 1

@=LG=Kathon These chatcommands would be nice:

::give <plane> [<player> | pool]

Takes a plane that is available in the map and not a +1 and moves it either to the specified player or to the pool of the squadron. Squadron-Pool consists of planes that are available in the map and not +1 and starts with everything 0 at the beginning of the campaign.

::take <plane>

Takes plane (if available) from Squadron-Pool and adds it to the issuing player's planes.

And while we are at it:

::time

Sends Servertime to chat (player-uid) of issuing player.

(I'd know how to implement that -- if the idea itself is not considered a bad one)

Edited by JG4_dingsda
  • Upvote 1

Another suggestion is to limit (on both sides of course) the number of pilots that can spawn from one base.  Maybe there is a limit right now, but I think it’s only limited by the number of spawn points that are currently occupied.  Thus, as soon as someone moves forward, that spawn point becomes available.

The reason is simple - in real life, an airbase wouldn’t have a seemingly endless supply of aircraft and pilots.  There might be one squadron, such that other squadrons from other airfields would need to fly from all of the disparate airfields if they wanted to have a large group (I.e. more than one squadron) flying together toward some objective.

Unless I’m mistaken, right now, if for example, an airfield is captured, and the side capturing has say a 50-25 advantage in pilots, potentially all 50 from that side could spawn from that airfield (given the scenario described above with pilots moving forward off the spawn point), and swarm an area.

In reality, any aircraft would have to first be flown in, and likely it would just be a squadron (depending on the size of the airfield).  So it should be here - maybe have a CAP of 12 or 16 pilots that can spawned at any given airfield - except maybe the “border” airfields since they are usually the last to be captured.

@=LG= for your consideration, and thanks again for all you do to provide this campaign experience.

1 hour ago, AKA_Relent said:

Unless I’m mistaken, right now, if for example, an airfield is captured, and the side capturing has say a 50-25 advantage in pilots, potentially all 50 from that side could spawn from that airfield (given the scenario described above with pilots moving forward off the spawn point), and swarm an area.

I was under the impression that the aircraft available at each field is limited, both by what's at the field and whether each individual pilot has that plane in their 'inventory.' I don't think you can just spawn 50 109's if the airfield only has a stock of a dozen.

6 hours ago, Alonzo_ said:

I was under the impression that the aircraft available at each field is limited, both by what's at the field and whether each individual pilot has that plane in their 'inventory.' I don't think you can just spawn 50 109's if the airfield only has a stock of a dozen.

It would be good for LG to verify this.  However, I know that sometimes I’ve tried to spawn at a busy airfield and I’ve gotten a message “airfield conditions have changed”, and I can’t spawn.  But, as soon as someone has moved out of the spawn point I can then spawn.  I’m not sure about aircraft stock at an airfield.

So 50 at one time spawned in together - no, I know you probably can’t do that.  But if pilots keep spawning and then taxi a little to leave their spawn point uncovered, that’s what I’m talking/wondering about - you could then theoretically have 50 pilots “eventually” spawned and up flying from that single airfield.

Edited by AKA_Relent

3 hours ago, AKA_Relent said:

It would be good for LG to verify this.  However, I know that sometimes I’ve tried to spawn at a busy airfield and I’ve gotten a message “airfield conditions have changed”, and I can’t spawn.  But, as soon as someone has moved out of the spawn point I can then spawn.  I’m not sure about aircraft stock at an airfield.

So 50 at one time spawned in together - no, I know you probably can’t do that.  But if pilots keep spawning and then taxi a little to leave their spawn point uncovered, that’s what I’m taking/wondering about - you could then theoretically have 50 pilots “eventually” spawned and up flying from that single airfield.

I guess it needs to be verified. I've seen that message before too, usually means there's no parking spots and as you said it clears once someone moves. The *intent* is clearly to limit planes available at each airfield, I guess we'd need to test (couple of people in voice, a/c type with only 1 left) and try to have two people take it at once.

12 minutes ago, Alonzo_ said:

I guess it needs to be verified. I've seen that message before too, usually means there's no parking spots and as you said it clears once someone moves. The *intent* is clearly to limit planes available at each airfield, I guess we'd need to test (couple of people in voice, a/c type with only 1 left) and try to have two people take it at once.

The game mechanic works. Only one will be able to select the plane.

Furthermore,  if the player returns the plane to this airfield, it will be added back into the pool.

Fly your plane to an airfield that doesn't start with your plane will lose the plane. 

Also flying your plane with special mods not available at another airfield also wastes the plane I believe. 

5 hours ago, AKA_Relent said:

So 50 at one time spawned in together - no, I know you probably can’t do that.  But if pilots keep spawning and then taxi a little to leave their spawn point uncovered, that’s what I’m taking/wondering about - you could then theoretically have 50 pilots “eventually” spawned and up flying from that single airfield.

That is true.

4 hours ago, Alonzo_ said:

Frontline airfields are limited in plane number. Rearward bases such as those we usually use are not.

3 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Frontline airfields are limited in plane number. Rearward bases such as those we usually use are not.

only if the airfields are damaged. If a airfield is damaged to like 35% there are 20 aircraft per type available. At 50% there are 5 per type available.

1 minute ago, DerSheriff said:

only if the airfields are damaged. If a airfield is damaged to like 35% there are 20 aircraft per type available. At 50% there are 5 per type available.

Yes sorry I forgot to include this (and for what it's worth, they're often damaged ^_^ )

2 hours ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

Have you ever discussed (I guess yes) about the possibility of offering an aircraft to a teammate? 

Interesting idea, but I don't think I like it. It gives people who solely fly either bombers or fighters basically double the # of planes in the hangar, if their friend flies the other type of plane. I thought the whole point of TAW was to curb the reckless behavior that is found in just about every other MP server. If you know you can just talk to your bomber buddy for another 109F-4 then no problem. Same with bomber pilots. If you know you'll get a Ju-88 replaced, you are more likely to take stupid risks. Additionally, as it's currently set up, you could just make multiple pilot profiles, and keep borrowing planes from these profiles at will. 

I would be more inclined to have changes to the current hangar system with respect to how many planes can be stored, and the plane set itself can always be tweaked. For example, if you have a streak of 25? 50? CM without death or capture, maybe you get a bonus plane of your choice. I'd much rather reward pilots for surviving than relying on a buddy to constantly feed you new fighters/bombers.

Edited by StG77_Kondor
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

@StG77_Kondor This is assuming that everybody gets all plane types. If you'd only get planes specific to your role, the situation would change. As a bomber you could still fly as fighter now and then by getting a fighter from your fighter body and vice versa. Or get a plane of the other type from the squadron hangar.

3 hours ago, StG77_Kondor said:

Additionally, as it's currently set up, you could just make multiple pilot profiles, and keep borrowing planes from these profiles at will. 

This is a bigger problem, though.

But you are right: Together with the current hangar system it would probably not work out and take away from what makes this server unique.

45 minutes ago, 7.GShAP/Silas said:

If you segregate pilots by aircraft type then you'll have 99% of people in fighters rather than 94%(literally) as it is now.

100%. Part of why TAW works is that it gives players the flexibility to be - or try to be - a Hartmann one mission, and a Rudel the next. All of it depending on the current map situation.

At the end of the day, TAW IMO remains a fighter pilot paradise. A fighter pilot for the most part, can disengage at will, and only get into trouble through their own actions. If TAW were to implement some sort of bonus system, I think it needs to be heavily skewed towards bomber/attack pilots. The way TAW funnels ground attack pilots - on both sides - to such narrow points of action combined with the deadliness of AA at every objective means you are guaranteed a brush with death every single mission. And personally, it's starting to burn me out from the server. I'm not asking for milk runs, I'd just like the option to be at 6-7 different objectives, rather than 2-3. 

Edited by StG77_Kondor
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 9

1 hour ago, StG77_Kondor said:

100%. Part of why TAW works is that it gives players the flexibility to be - or try to be - a Hartmann one mission, and a Rudel the next. All of it depending on the current map situation.

At the end of the day, TAW IMO remains a fighter pilot paradise. A fighter pilot for the most part, can disengage at will, and only get into trouble through their own actions. If TAW were to implement some sort of bonus system, I think it needs to be heavily skewed towards bomber/attack pilots. The way TAW funnels ground attack pilots - on both sides - to such narrow points of action combined with the deadliness of AA at every objective means you are guaranteed a brush with death every single mission. And personally, it's starting to burn me out from the server. I'm not asking for milk runs, I'd just like the option to be at 6-7 different objectives, rather than 2-3. 

I couldn't agree more, and I fly mostly fighter. Flying attacker is one hell of a thing to do in TAW, and I am not a fan of losing pilots. Also putting more distance between airfields would be a good thing (less of them, but more defended, and several AA troops close to them). 

• Upvote 2

AKA_Relent said:

13 hours ago, =LG=Leutnant_Artur said:

That is true.

Thanks for confirming Artur.  So you at least see what I'm trying to get at with respect to possibly limiting how many pilots can possibly spawn from one ("non-border") airfield, given those that previously spawned there would be taxiing or in the air already.

11 hours ago, Talon_ said:

11 hours ago, DerSheriff said:

11 hours ago, Talon_ said:

Yes sorry I forgot to include this (and for what it's worth, they're often damaged ^_^ )

How do you know this?  From testing while in TAW?   I didn't see anything in the TAW Manual page that talks about limiting aircraft spawning at any airbases (thus my question to =LG=).  Plus, unless you created the missions, I'm curious how you came to these conclusions :).

Edited by AKA_Relent

42 minutes ago, AKA_Relent said:

How do you know this?  From testing while in TAW?   I didn't see anything in the TAW Manual page that talks about limiting aircraft spawning at any airbases (thus my question to =LG=).  Plus, unless you created the missions, I'm curious how you came to these conclusions :).

I think it shows the number of aircraft available when you click on an airfield.

34 minutes ago, Alonzo_ said:

I think it shows the number of aircraft available when you click on an airfield.

Ahh, you’re right, I have seen this as well (next to the picture of the aircraft).  So that would in itself limit the number of certain types of sought after aircraft for (I’m assuming) the front line airfields I suppose, including those that have been recently captured, for example.  Still doesn’t address having a bunch of players spawning at the same front line airfield (albeit with different aircraft types), but it at least imposes some limits.

4 minutes ago, LLv44_Damixu said:

Server has been down for sometime already. Any reason for this?

All servers are down, master server problem.

I don't get bent out of shape over which team wins TAW; not like I got any money riding on the outcome, but I wanted to say that while the Master Server was down and nobody was playing, but before the TAW Server stopped, BLUE tanks captured Saratovskaya and reduced the defenses at Timashevka AF from GOOD to NONE. Red tanks were poised to attack Krasnodar AF, but the TAW Server stopped before it happened. Would be nice to get a reset if possible.

Edited by StG77_HvB

Some of the paratroopers alive on last  airfield capute now are driving tanks.... ETA to moscu 2 days-

:)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, StG77_HvB said:

I don't get bent out of shape over which team wins TAW; not like I got any money riding on the outcome, but I wanted to say that while the Master Server was down and nobody was playing, but before the TAW Server stopped, BLUE tanks captured Saratovskaya and reduced the defenses at Timashevka AF from GOOD to NONE. Red tanks were poised to attack Krasnodar AF, but the TAW Server stopped before it happened. Would be nice to get a reset if possible.

yep a roll back is in order, if possible

I need some help with account registration. Can anybody explain me how to create another account without updating il2sturmovik account, please?

As i read in the manual : "It’s possible to register two different accounts: one for Allied and one for Axis. To switch between them please update il2sturmovik.com account to match account on TAW. If you don’t want to update il2sturmovik.com account then you have to change names of your accounts on TAW page"

My il2sturmovik name is Glitterman

My TAW name for my account (blue side) is Glitterman

If i change my TAW name to Glitterman_2 to play Red, it will not match my original il2sturmovik account, and i wil not be able to play. i´m confused about this. Anybody can help me about this? Thank you!

13 hours ago, StG77_HvB said:

I loaded mission #401. It was the first mission without players after master server problems.

2 minutes ago, Glitterman said:

I need some help with account registration. Can anybody explain me how to create another account without updating il2sturmovik account, please?

As i read in the manual : "It’s possible to register two different accounts: one for Allied and one for Axis. To switch between them please update il2sturmovik.com account to match account on TAW. If you don’t want to update il2sturmovik.com account then you have to change names of your accounts on TAW page"

My il2sturmovik name is Glitterman

My TAW name for my account (blue side) is Glitterman

If i change my TAW name to Glitterman_2 to play Red, it will not match my original il2sturmovik account, and i wil not be able to play. i´m confused about this. Anybody can help me about this? Thank you!

If you want to fly as red then change blue TAW account to Glitterman_2 and red TAW account to Glitterman.

• Thanks 2

I was wondering if there was the option of removing technochat, if TAW's founders would use it or not?

• Upvote 2

Hey all, as this TAW draws to a close I just wanted to thank the server creators and admins for all their hard work, as well as all pilots on both sides. This is my first TAW and as someone who’s only been playing the game for 6 weeks, it was exceedingly fun. And nerve wracking and exhilarating and breathtakingly beautiful at times. I got my first TAW air to air kill today and it’s a moment that I will remember for a long time.

Great flying with (and against) you all. Thanks!

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2