=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

40 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

What is the topic?

Oh wait. Not interested in it. 🕹️

The current topic, if in fact it is a recycled topic for this thread, is off-topic.   

On 6/26/2018 at 4:17 PM, Banzaii said:

Red's attitude torwards early planset?  "Oooh my I-16 or P40, is so worthless."........ suck less and play. I would love to be in a p40 right now over a stuka, but choices were made this round.

On 6/28/2018 at 3:18 AM, Banzaii said:

You mean dropping bombs then getting flak's attention from the other four stukas im leading so my wingman make it home.  Stats are a meaningless number unless you look at the context. Stats will always be the bane of these campaigns.

War has much more than stats, been there survived to fly IL2, bonds with the men you fight with, worth more than a +CM.  You should try it.

You should try being less of a prick.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I think the P-40 is a great plane, for ground attacking and low level.  It might not be a great dogfighter, but anything the .50 cals can wreck on the ground will get wrecked.  It's probably the most stable and easy to aim soft ground target sniper the Allies currently have.  Put dot on the target, pull trigger when in range, pull up, repeat.

As a dedicated level bomber I can tell you (for the depot debate) that the greatest deterrent is knowing there are dedicated patrols covering the target.

Last campaign, carl Infar was my nemesis. He shot me down 3 sorties in a row by predicting my likely target and route and got me before or just as I got there.

This campaign I noticed that Ivy and Ramawill, and others, were doing a lot of defensive patrolling.

There is nothing more disheartening than being 1 hour into a flight, and 10 minutes off a depot, and getting the notification "Ivy has joined the game" only to see a little dot appear at the airfield closest to the depot, because you know Ivy will be hunting for you!

Anyway, well played all and thanks to admins for another great campaign. 

• Upvote 2

Perhaps a solution to the depot defense would be having a few ai fighter patrols around the depots. wouldn't be many maybe 2 flights of 2 aircraft per depot but it should discourage the lone bomber pilots somewhat. 

Adding a few more random flak around each depot (maybe 10-20km out or more) might help notify pilots slightly sooner that their depot was about to be hit, getting more defensive fighters into the air.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, leno said:

Last campaign, carl Infar was my nemesis. He shot me down 3 sorties in a row by predicting my likely target and route and got me before or just as I got there.

That's an interesting phenomenon that develops when low player number periods occur at the same time every night with the same players. People start paying attention to the habits of specific individuals on the other side, and 1v1 or 2v2 cat and mouse games play out all over the map. It looks more like what I suppose WWI flying must have been like, and it's a very different dynamic than that of a full server.

1 hour ago, StG77_HvB said:

That's an interesting phenomenon that develops when low player number periods occur at the same time every night with the same players. People start paying attention to the habits of specific individuals on the other side, and 1v1 or 2v2 cat and mouse games play out all over the map. It looks more like what I suppose WWI flying must have been like, and it's a very different dynamic than that of a full server.

yourdog05.jpg

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/3/2018 at 2:52 PM, Mobile_BBQ said:

It might not be a great dogfighter,

LIES!

On 8/3/2018 at 3:12 AM, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

Let's not open the chute killing debate again please :). LG cleary staded it is allowed. Let the pilots decide who they want to be. 

I agree, it's part of the game. I don't mind it. I do think it says something about a guy who does it. Then we all get to have a pooh talk trash session in TS later about it. As I like drama it's still a win.   :P

I think the game needs a manual chute pull option. The wait at high altitude is too short and low altitude too long. Manual ripcord pull is the answer. Pull too early and catch the tail, makes for more interesting low alt jumps.

Edited by 7./JG26_Smokejumper
  • Upvote 1

I would like to see a bit of better collision mechanics involving chutes vs. planes.  I was chute-killed (by guns) and RAMMED (body dead-center of the prop hub) simultaneously by a P-39 tonight with no ill effect to the plane at all....  Even if I was (hypothetically) blow to bits before the impact, the parachute itself would have been caught up in the propeller.   But then again, ramming survival seems to depend on ping and a coin toss.

An excerpt from Thunderbolt The P47 page 188:

Untitled-1.jpg.cf9965ea0aadbf2985c9e3043c97a1a9.jpg

• Sad 2

Wow what an horrible way to go. The p51 pilot must have struggled to pull the trigger ever again after such a horrendous spectacle.

According to Grislawski, the exact same thing happened to Macki Steinhoff's wing man in Russia.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, wombatBritishBulldogs said:

Is it modeled 😲

No, if you physically fly into someone in their parachute you just clip through, it doesn't hurt them or you.

Edited by 7.GShAP/Silas

I already bent my prop when flying through a chute. Don't quite know whether it is the shute itself or the body of the pilot (might have hit that one too) that bent my prop. Needless to say, I felt like a complete moron. 

The interaction is there, but due to net code and ping it is kind of tricky to pull off. Like flying through a debris cloud after you take apart a bomber.

On 8/5/2018 at 10:11 PM, StG77_HvB said:

According to Grislawski, the exact same thing happened to Macki Steinhoff's wing man in Russia.

I tried to find some information about it but didn't have any luck, do you have a source by any chance?

I thought I read it in "Graf & Grislawski; A Pair of Aces," but I looked thru the book just now to tell you the page # and couldn't find the passage. Let me dig around a little more because it's quite a story; makes you stop reading and stare at the wall thinking about it.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, US103GarvenDreis said:

Any idea when the next TAW is up?

It is moved one week back every time someone asks this. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

It is moved one week back every time someone asks this. 

Okay, I just keep asking until we can use the P-47 in the next TAW.:tease:

5 hours ago, US103GarvenDreis said:

Okay, I just keep asking until we can use the P-47 in the next TAW.:tease:

Lol, definitly not, we had the G14 available before last campaign, they didn't add it. So i don't think they'll do the same with the P-47

The FW-190 A-8 went into service (early spring 1944) before the Bf-109 G-14 (midsummer 1944). Hence, by TAW's historical standards, I assume it would appear one map earlier anyway.

While I'd love an expanded timeframe, the VVS do need a counterpart! Their latest ingame aircraft would be the LA-5FN (summer 1943). The Yak-3 is missing here. It would be a formidable collector's plane for BoBP's timeframe in my opinion, and could challenge the G-14 in summer of 1944.

Would-be scenario:

The Bf-109 G-6 with injection (early winter 1943) could strike a last map balance, appearing one map after La5FN, and closing the performance gap. Unfortunately, the ingame G-6 has no injection system, not even by choice. Proposing that before the G-6's release led to a lot of flak against "Luftwaffle players". I read they were planning to put this in later as a patch, but that doesn't seem to be true. So now we are stuck with this underpowered heavy-drag beauty.. I don't know about you, but I would have liked the choice of a lockable module, at least.

I shudder at even the thought of having yak3 in the game... the WT horrors of that aircraft...

I believe G-5/AS and G-6/AS were much more more widespread than MW50 injection G-6. DB605AM and MW50 only became production standard in June/July 1944 with the G-14. So besides some gadgets that slow the thing down, high altitude AS engine and the canopy, the 109 series does not improve much(/at all) from early 1942 to mid 1944.

I wonder how many much the Erla Haube alone improved 109's top speed, something like 5 km/h, at most?

I feel more than comfortable taking on G-14 in La-FUN.

La out rolls it all day erry day and they preform about the same in all other planes of control. And have relative parity in hp/kg. 

Same with A-8. It is so heavy that Lagg-3 can club it if it gets caught in a climb. 

53 minutes ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

I feel more than comfortable taking on G-14 in La-FUN.

La out rolls it all day erry day and they preform about the same in all other planes of control. And have relative parity in hp/kg. 

Same with A-8. It is so heavy that Lagg-3 can club it if it gets caught in a climb. 

Late model 109's - "Get high. Run fast." 

Expelled Olympic track runners - "Get high. Run fast."

On 8/5/2018 at 7:00 PM, 7.GShAP/Silas said:

No, if you physically fly into someone in their parachute you just clip through, it doesn't hurt them or you.

I've taken damage from physically hitting the pilot before.  Been a few months so not sure it still hurts.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, woodrowwilson_pr said:

I've taken damage from physically hitting the pilot before.  Been a few months so not sure it still hurts.

It was probably just lag in my case, then.

On another note, when did the VVS have the P-47?  Would it fit into the typical timeframe of the TAW campaigns?

Edited by 7.GShAP/Silas

Some 200 odd were sent in mid 43, those being D variants. And another 200 about a year later. Of the 400 odd sent only 130 survived the war. It seems they were mostly used in defense of major cities and the bulk of them may have been used for training or technical analysis; the Soviets were fond of taking things apart, finding out how it was made and incorporating what they though best into their own designs. That is what Wikipedia has to say on the matter at least.

16 hours ago, Disarray said:

the Soviets were fond of taking things apart, finding out how it was made and incorporating what they though best into their own designs. 

That's such a polite way of saying it, lol!

Well, based on what I can find, in this case that is what they did. Not like other cases where they took things apart, made copious and detailed notes, put it back together again and said, "Look at this NEW AND TOTALLY ORIGINAL plane we have built. Isn't it cool, America? Why, I bet you'd like something like this, hu?"

Posted (edited)

And the U.S. F-86 was a copy of an end-war Kurt Tank design, among endless other examples.  All countries do it, since before the Romans copied the gladius from the Spanish Celts.

Edited by 7.GShAP/Silas

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:45 PM, StG77_HvB said:

I thought I read it in "Graf & Grislawski; A Pair of Aces," but I looked thru the book just now to tell you the page # and couldn't find the passage. Let me dig around a little more because it's quite a story; makes you stop reading and stare at the wall thinking about it.

Stop looking, that story is in the book "The Final Hours" by Johannes Steinhoff. It's on my bookshelf after you sold it to me ;) - great read.

• Thanks 1

They say there's 3 things that you lose when you get older. The first one's memory, and I don't remember the other two....

• Haha 1