Level bombing in a HE-111

I have a few questions as to seeing the target from far away.

The old IL-2 1946 you could adjust your bombsite to maximum elevation

to see your target at a distance to align your plae up to the target.

I can't do that here.

The bombardier cannot see the target very well with the nose gun in front of him

to get a clear view of the target either.

With no external views you cannot see the target either.

I wonder if the devs could not put in a button so that the bombardier would move

his head to the window so it would be as if he was guiding the pilot to align the plane

to target.

I usually bomb manually but does the auto bomb site work that you can actually hit the

target?

This would be a good angle.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-S52435,_Polen,_Bli

Edited by WTornado

You can switch to the nose gunner and your point of view will be almost exactly that one.

I know you can see forward with the by using the pilots head position keys by your bombardier

seems to be laying down and the MG is still in the way where as the bombardier in the picture

was either crouching or standing up.

The old IL-2 1946 you could adjust your bombsite to maximum elevation to see your target at a distance to align your plae up to the target.   I can't do that here.

of course you can. use the "view" mode and you can look quite far ahead

Going to try that Soko ty.

Do the Russian girls at the bottom of your pictures site

all want to meet and go out with me? :huh:

I had Brazilian ones?  :P   :)

Cheers Dakpilot

Edited by Dakpilot

There is no need to complicate your life with the View mode ( which is basically what you want -  a free look ahead from the bombardier's position), the greatest advantage He111 has over Pe2 is that it has the Auto mode on the bomb sight . Without the Auto mode you will have to constantly switch back and forth  between View and Manual and try to estimate by how much you will be offset to the left or to the right (good luck with that if there are some strong lateral winds) and try to position your plane in such a manner that when you switch to Manual in the end , you will be (hopefully ) aligned with the target , that's not a very accurate way to bomb, especially if you are bombing from very high altitude ( leave that ordeal for the Pe2 pilots) .

In the Heinkel , simply use Auto mode and the bombsight will take into account the offset due the wind speed and angle ( just make sure you input them correctly) , all you have to do is adjust left/right until you align yourself with the target and the cross-hair is on it, from that moment on only small inputs will be needed. When there are some ten seconds or so before release i usually check the wind angle and air speed one more time and switch to Manual - you should  be perfectly aligned .

Auto-drop is very neat and it should be our main way of bombing - especially since you never loose sight of the target this way - not even for a couple of seconds, unfortunately is not perfectly implemented - in the final moments before release you will still need to make tiny vertical adjustments of maybe a couple of millimeters on your screen and that device is simply not smooth and precise enough when reacting to mouse movement (at least that's my feeling towards it ), you will find yourself cursing it because it moves too much compared to what you tried to do, it is doable of course but you need a very precise hand and mouse movement  , manual release is risk-free compared to this. Right now you can hold the cursor on top of the optical "hat" and use the mouse wheel to adjust it but it moves a lot - i'm not sure why they added this feature on a device that needs high precision movement . What we need is two keys on our keyboard for using that optical device , keys that will move the cross-hair up and down by a very small degree , pressing the key once will move it one step ( or simply redo the mouse wheel adjustment-distance , make it smaller) .

Also , there is another problem with the auto-release : when the game was launched and for many months after there was a "Drop all bombs" option that was very useful for the auto-drop, it dropped all your bombs . Now, if you are carrying both internal and external bombs the auto-drop will only drop the section that you selected , you will have to drop the last one yourself (usually keep the internals all selected on auto-drop and manually drop the external at the end ) but that's not exactly right , i think a "drop all" option should still be there .

Edited by [RO]ThePrody
  • Upvote 1

There is no need to complicate your life with the View mode ( which is basically what you want -  a free look ahead from the bombardier's position), the greatest advantage He111 has over Pe2 is that it has the Auto mode on the bomb sight . Without the Auto mode you will have to constantly switch back and forth  between View and Manual and try to estimate by how much you will be offset to the left or to the right (good luck with that if there are some strong lateral winds) and try to position your plane in such a manner that when you switch to Manual in the end , you will be (hopefully ) aligned with the target , that's not a very accurate way to bomb, especially if you are bombing from very high altitude ( leave that ordeal for the Pe2 pilots) .

In the Heinkel , simply use Auto mode and the bombsight will take into account the offset due the wind speed and angle ( just make sure you input them correctly) , all you have to do is adjust left/right until you align yourself with the target and the cross-hair is on it, from that moment on only small inputs will be needed. When there are some ten seconds or so before release i usually check the wind angle and air speed one more time and switch to Manual - you should  be perfectly aligned .

Auto-drop is very neat and it should be our main way of bombing - especially since you never loose sight of the target this way - not even for a couple of seconds, unfortunately is not perfectly implemented - in the final moments before release you will still need to make tiny vertical adjustments of maybe a couple of millimeters on your screen and that device is simply not smooth and precise enough when reacting to mouse movement (at least that's my feeling towards it ), you will find yourself cursing it because it moves too much compared to what you tried to do, it is doable of course but you need a very precise hand and mouse movement  , manual release is risk-free compared to this. Right now you can hold the cursor on top of the optical "hat" and use the mouse wheel to adjust it but it moves a lot - i'm not sure why they added this feature on a device that needs high precision movement . What we need is two keys on our keyboard for using that optical device , keys that will move the cross-hair up and down by a very small degree , pressing the key once will move it one step ( or simply redo the mouse wheel adjustment-distance , make it smaller) .

Also , there is another problem with the auto-release : when the game was launched and for many months after there was a "Drop all bombs" option that was very useful for the auto-drop, it dropped all your bombs . Now, if you are carrying both internal and external bombs the auto-drop will only drop the section that you selected , you will have to drop the last one yourself (usually keep the internals all selected on auto-drop and manually drop the external at the end ) but that's not exactly right , i think a "drop all" option should still be there .

Nice read. I was switching manually because i didnt know what auto did ecxactly.

That's very helpful Prody. I'm still crap at level bombing in this game - I had it down to a semi-perfect art in IL-2 1946 but I just can't get my head around the wind angle stuff and no matter what I do my bombs seem to be hitting kilometers away from target. I'll give some of that a try... maybe I'll get some glancing blows on target.

Hopefully the Ju88A-4 will be more my style anyways... dive bombing has been more of my thing.