Sign in to follow this  
liamp51

Comments, Criticisms, Suggestions, Question(s)

Hello all,

This is my first time posting here. I apologize if a post similar to this already exists, but I'm going to make one anyway. 

A little background on me first...

I played IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 for many years back in its "glory" days I guess you could say. The days when you could log into Hyperlobby and see 900+ people in game. Man do I miss those days...
I think the thing that really made the old IL-2 for me wasn't so much the number of players, but the variety of maps, aircraft, and mission options. Now I understand that New IL-2 (as it shall henceforth be referred to) only came out about 3 years ago, and that it is a far more technically complicated effort, but there is a glaring lack in overall content. 

Now I know this is bound to upset some, but I think this criticism is warranted. We really only have two combat areas, (Moscow and Stalingrad), a handful of aircraft, and a very lackluster campaign system. Again, I understand that this sim, overall, is a much more complicated and "authentic" experience (maps historically accurate down to tiny details like the true to life runway surface etc.), but I still find myself aching for more. That brings me to my next point: pricing. 

I'll be frank, I believe the price point for this sim is a bit outrageous. $50USD for the standard edition is understandable, (personally I think it should be more in the $30 neighborhood), but $80USD for the Premium edition is insane. Now I say that solely based on the amount of content the extra $30USD gets the player. Not to mention the fact that founding members who paid $80USD for the beta/alpha didn't get any kind of discount for the upcoming BoM release. And at the end of the day, all we really get is a couple more flyable aircraft and maps. 

To conclude, I want to make a few suggestions for the devs (I still love you guys, and am extremely glad that this sim exists), and direct a few questions at them as well.

My Suggestions:

-I think BoM should essentially be a DLC pack (with all aircraft and maps included, as well as being priced around $20). But the player should also have the option to pay for individual aircraft separately like in Rise of Flight.
-We sorely need a good dynamic campaign generator for single missions as well as online co-ops. 

My Question:

What is your overall plan for the franchise? Are you planning on expanding out of the Eastern front? I would love to see a 1941-42 Battle of Europe expansion, or Pacific expansion. 

See you all in the friendly skies,
liamp51

This is a real "can of worms" post that can not be answered easily.

My 10 pence

The cost of the game is very fair for the product, quality of communication with devs and updates we have. Although could be a bit cheaper but they often do sales which is cool.

As for the limited content when compared to 1946, we are clearly lacking but don't forget that game took about 10 years to get to what it is so we still have time here.

Also 1946s overall quality /accuracy was very low compared to here a huge amount of it was community made.(only 1 map in BOS is atm)

The individual aircraft dlc route is semi there atm but you have to buy the standard package. I strongly believe that in the future they will release single or packs of aircraft.

Basically I'm very happy and will buy more stuff as it comes. I'm really hoping it will fill out over time

Edited by [TBC]AeroACE
  • Upvote 1

On the content - they have obviously had to trade off detail against width of coverage. I am not entirely happy with all of the design choices myself, but I can see that if you are going to put $X into detailed modeling of aerodynamics, you do not have those $X to spend on new maps, and so on. So the mix they have chosen works for you or it does not. It is borderline for me, but obviously the extra detail is very important to many buyers.

On the price - they raise what the market will bear. Unfortunately they have a fairly high development cost but also niche market product, so pricing it like an indie game is not a viable option.  

This is a real "can of worms" post that can not be answered easily.

My 10 pence

The cost of the game is very fair for the product, quality of communication with devs and updates we have. Although could be a bit cheaper but they often do sales which is cool.

As for the limited content when compared to 1946, we are clearly lacking but don't forget that game took about 10 years to get to what it is so we still have time here.

Also 1946s overall quality /accuracy was very low compared to here a huge amount of it was community made.(only 1 map in BOS is atm)

The individual aircraft dlc route is semi there atm but you have to buy the standard package. I strongly believe that in the future they will release single or packs of aircraft.

Basically I'm very happy and will buy more stuff as it comes. I'm really hoping it will fill out over time

I agree that the price of BoS is pretty fair, but the fact that we have to spend $80 again for BoM is a bit ludicrous. I also agree (and admitted in my OP) that New IL-2 is FAR more advanced than 1946, and that -46 was the culmination of several years of content. I'm still quite happy with New IL-2, but I just wanted to voice my concerns/opinions. 

About the price: BoM offers the same amount of content as BoS, therefore the price is pretty much the same (slightly lower than for BoS preorders) the money the team isn't spending on developing the sim itself this time around instead goes to further refining the sim, enhancing performance and adding ever more details for the benefit of both BoM and BoS. It's completely fair.

• Upvote 2

BOM as a standalone product has just as much content and cost associated with it's development as BOS. Hence the same price.

Jason

Hello all,

This is my first time posting here. I apologize if a post similar to this already exists, but I'm going to make one anyway. 

Now I understand that New IL-2 (as it shall henceforth be referred to) only came out about 3 years ago, and that it is a far more technically complicated effort, but there is a glaring lack in overall content. 

liamp51

May sound like i am being picky but BoS was released on 22 October 2014 which is not really 3 years....less than a year and a half really  ;)

Cheers Dakpilot

May sound like i am being picky but BoS was released on 22 October 2014 which is not really 3 years....less than a year and a half really  ;)

Cheers Dakpilot

Yeah I realize that was the official public launch date...I guess I was going off of the alpha test launch that I was part of. 

Hi liamp51,

I am 55 ;-) I played old Il 2 from the very begining (and many other sims before). Do not forget that there was a handful of planes and one map only when it started. This BoS and BoM have very good chance to become as widely popular in a couple od years as originál Il 2 was I guess.

Edited by 310_cibule

BOM as a standalone product has just as much content and cost associated with it's development as BOS. Hence the same price.

Jason

Jason, do you according before BoM Development started or after? BoS Standard or Premium Version did cost $59 or $99 to pre-order more than BoM Standard or Premium to pre-order now.  

This is what happens when you try to justify prices as "fair".  

As a customer, that is the offer, you can either take it or go elsewhere: it is not as though 1CGS is holding anyone to ransom with a monopoly supply of an essential commodity.

Time for a song:

Yes it would be nice if we could get 400 planes and 100 maps for $10,00.

About the price, I felt the same when I first purchased BoS. Since then I've realised just how incredibly detailed this title is and I think the price is more than justified. Value is subjective and all those freemium games fog peoples perception a little.

The single player campaign is a little underwhelming and I would liked to see something like PWCG integrated better (maybe in time it will be). It does feel like this title is being developed primarily as a multiplayer game which suits some, but not all.

Understanding the OP statement we need to take into account:

Sometimes we complain about what a game cost but didn't realize that we pay once for a product that will last years, with a progressive development for free and a continuous support. Did't think I will get the same support for that Sturday night dinning with my wife that cost me 80 bucks last week.

What I wanna say is that we need to calculate the price of something based on what we have back and thereafter is game is far away cheap, very cheap.

Sorry for my confusing grammar.

• Upvote 1

Hello all,

A little background on me first...

I played IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 for many years back in its "glory" days I guess you could say. The days when you could log into Hyperlobby and see 900+ people in game. Man do I miss those days...

I think the thing that really made the old IL-2 for me wasn't so much the number of players, but the variety of maps, aircraft, and mission options. Now I understand that New IL-2 (as it shall henceforth be referred to) only came out about 3 years ago, and that it is a far more technically complicated effort, but there is a glaring lack in overall content. 

Now I know this is bound to upset some, but I think this criticism is warranted. We really only have two combat areas, (Moscow and Stalingrad), a handful of aircraft, and a very lackluster campaign system. Again, I understand that this sim, overall, is a much more complicated and "authentic" experience (maps historically accurate down to tiny details like the true to life runway surface etc.), but I still find myself aching for more. That brings me to my next point: pricing. 

I'll be frank, I believe the price point for this sim is a bit outrageous. $50USD for the standard edition is understandable, (personally I think it should be more in the $30 neighborhood), but $80USD for the Premium edition is insane. Now I say that solely based on the amount of content the extra $30USD gets the player. Not to mention the fact that founding members who paid $80USD for the beta/alpha didn't get any kind of discount for the upcoming BoM release. And at the end of the day, all we really get is a couple more flyable aircraft and maps. 

To conclude, I want to make a few suggestions for the devs (I still love you guys, and am extremely glad that this sim exists), and direct a few questions at them as well.

My Suggestions:

-I think BoM should essentially be a DLC pack (with all aircraft and maps included, as well as being priced around $20). But the player should also have the option to pay for individual aircraft separately like in Rise of Flight.

-We sorely need a good dynamic campaign generator for single missions as well as online co-ops. 

My Question:

What is your overall plan for the franchise? Are you planning on expanding out of the Eastern front? I would love to see a 1941-42 Battle of Europe expansion, or Pacific expansion. 

liamp51

I agree that the price of BoS is pretty fair, but the fact that we have to spend $80 again for BoM is a bit ludicrous. I also agree (and admitted in my OP) that New IL-2 is FAR more advanced than 1946, and that -46 was the culmination of several years of content. I'm still quite happy with New IL-2, but I just wanted to voice my concerns/opinions. 

Say hypothetically you were totally new to this and you bought both BoS and BoM premium new for $160.. when compared to the only other developer supported sim on the market.. I think you would be getting a fantastic deal for your money. Eight very nice maps, 19 very well rendered WWII aircraft and a sim that is visually arguably un equaled with features that have never been seen in any stock combat flight sim before in a dedicated historic WWII environment. All that for $160. Less than $10 per aircraft... factor in the maps and well....

Next consider the only other developer supported sim on the market ... Right off the bat .... If you are looking solely at WWII content... well that is limimited. So for $130 you will get three WWII aircraft.. on one map.... in a modern environment.. It seems like a no brainer to me as far as bang for the buck goes..  Now say you want a little more so you decide to get two more Korean era aircraft.. well now you are looking at $230... for one map... 5 planes... in a modern environment..

All this is to take nothing away from DCS.. I have several of their modules ... but to point out just what this series has to offer in the bigger scheme of things..

Then consider buying BoS on sale at 50% off.. and it becomes even more of a bargain.. This is arguably the best WWII sim on the market that is still recieving full developer support.. and there is a reason why that is the case..flight sims are not easy to develop and as we all know the FS community can be a very.... demanding lot to produce for... 

Cheers Dakpilot

+1

The most severely lacking feature of BoS is missing Coop system and missing Hyper Lobby support.

Both of which are two crucial facts needed to create long-term motivation.

Right now, there are only a handfull of DF servers you can join, nothing rewarding to keep flying long term...