IL-2 STURMOVIK : BATTLE OF KUBAN

Battle for the Kuban  

138 members have voted

1. 1. This would make a great follow on expansion

• Yes
    • Yes however I have suggestiosn for s different plane set
    • Maybe after a different theatre or war
    • No

My bad,not yours. I got it all wrong. Feel free to discuss everything everywhere :)

This is a poll for the battle of Kuban mate, and one of the options (which is leading by the way) is to have a different theatre :)

I'm assuming that is allowed to be discussed otherwise it would not be included as an option???

I may have missed something here, (its entirely possible due to my lack of brain cells) please forgive my musing if I have got it all wrong  :blink:

Nope, it's Yes, Yes but, No. and Yes lead 56 to 48.

109g-6 vs La-5FN
If this happens

Will be a nice change of fortune

Edited by Venturi

Some great photos taken on the ground, in the thick of the action by Soviet troops and Marines to capture Malaya Zemlya.

I personally would like to see Kuban then Leningrad to flesh out the early eastern front, then after that the some pacific and far east operations would be nice to see. 

Hum, I count as of this post,

34+23=57 YES

50+6=56 NO

Looks like 50/50 to me...

Hum, I count as of this post,

34+23=57 YES

50+6=56 NO

Looks like 50/50 to me...

Now it's 59/58 for Kuban

Now I really just hope it's not going to be Kursk and more tanks. Kursk just seems like a dead end, while Kuban could lead directly into the Med later on and maybe Burma as well. 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann

Some common sights back in 1943:

The DB-3F/Il-4

62-1.jpg

The A-20 - note the glass nose in the foreground, the Soviets added a navigator compartment in most Mine and Torpedo regiments.

tumblr_inline_nnp69weDMy1t90ue7_1280.jpg

A proper two-seater Il-2, this one belonging to famous pilot Vasily Emilianenko who was also a musician and sported this amazing paint scheme during the Kuban battles.

0_11035c_62a51ba7_orig.jpg

The good old P-39 - here a mechanic reports to Dmitriy Glinka stating his P-39K-1 is ready for work, April 1943, 45 IAP.

dbglinka5.jpg

Our old friend from Stalingrad - the La-5, this particular specimen belonging to 159 IAP.

8745212321.5q6wxyqct3oc0o0oc8cg84g0w.ejc

A Spitfire Mk. Vb, equipped with the Merlin 46 engine, belonging to the 3rd Squadron of the 57 GIAP, 1943, Kuban.

Spitfire_028_EP210.jpg

Recognise this one? Another mainstay, this LaGG-3 somewhere around the 60th series marked White 932 belongs to 926 IAP, photographed in 1943 in an airfield in Kuban as well.

932.jpg

Two other familiar faces - the MiG-3s and P-40s of 7 IAP-ChF photographed sometime in 1943, Kuban.

282130.jpg

• Upvote 1

Considering how they usually give us a scenario with its own aircraft then pepper the campaigns with intersecting aircraft from other theatres it would make sense to add a P-39, Spitfire, A-20/Il-4, Il-2 and a later-mark LaGG-3 with the La-5, Yak-1, MiG-3, I-16, P-40, Pe-2, single-seater Il-2 and the older LaGG-3 appearing in the campaign sporadically. Multiplayer would be a blast with anything from Bf-109G-6s to I-16s flying around.

• Upvote 1

How many people when firing up original IL-2 thought 

"Nope, I will choose the Kursk map rather than fly on Kuban Map"  ;)

Out of Interest were there any Hurricane squadrons operating in Kuban region?

Cheers Dakpilot

I looked around, but to my best knowledge there were no units flying the Hawker Hurricane over Kuban in 1943.

From the 1941 types, within the Army Air Force you still had considerable amounts of I-16s (40 IAP), I-153s (84 IAP) and P-40s (45 IAP), units inside parenthesis listed to exemplify.

The Black Sea Fleet in July 1943 had in terms of fighters 190 modern ones (22 MiG-3, 76 LaGG-3, 56 Yak-1, 25 P-39 and 11 P-40) plus 70 obsolete ones (mostly I-16/I-153 I presume).

While searching I did find this funny photo of 151 Wing pilots collectively chatting up a very confused Soviet soldier standing guard near a Hurricane :biggrin:

zdDouTqlCrQ.jpg

I think they were amused by his outfit, several numbers bigger then his figure :)

They were in the region in the Autumn 1942 though, no? If we get the map there can be missions with the Stalingrad aircraft set there, in theory.

• Upvote 1

No Bf110 at Kuban '43. So I choose Kursk '43.

There were Bf-110s in the Kuban area in 1943. 10./ZG1 was based at Bagerovo on the Kerch peninsula. The unit flew night fighter missions over the Strait of Kerch and the Kuban area, sometimes against the nightwitches of the 588th NBAP/46th GNBAP. In Il-2 1946 I had done a 10./ZG1 campaign, but never released it when I started to play BoS. I would love to redo it, that's one of the reasons why I hope a Kuban module will be next.

• Upvote 2

While searching I did find this funny photo of 151 Wing pilots collectively chatting up a very confused Soviet soldier standing guard near a Hurricane :biggrin:

They are discussing whether to eat him with brown or 'red' sauce!

There were Bf-110s in the Kuban area in 1943. 10./ZG1 was based at Bagerovo on the Kerch peninsula. The unit flew night fighter missions over the Strait of Kerch and the Kuban area, sometimes against the nightwitches of the 588th NBAP/46th GNBAP. In Il-2 1946 I had done a 10./ZG1 campaign, but never released it when I started to play BoS. I would love to redo it, that's one of the reasons why I hope a Kuban module will be next.

Yeah, I know. Famous "Sepp" Kociok's Staffel.

post-1464-0-83650300-1464035638_thumb.jpgpost-1464-0-93831100-1464035642_thumb.jpgpost-1464-0-44720500-1464035646_thumb.jpgpost-1464-0-26708200-1464035651_thumb.jpg

But I meaned day-light operations.

They were in the region in the Autumn 1942 though, no? If we get the map there can be missions with the Stalingrad aircraft set there, in theory.

That's impressive footage Panzerbar, thanks for sharing. Kuban managed to stay beautiful even in the midst of all that horror. I particularly like the I-153 coming in for a head-on attack.

Note a 37mm AAA shells, incoming is the face of Bf110 in fragment of low-level attack of Soviet camp.

• Upvote 1

Revised aircraft list. Changes in green and purple for special aircraft sets.