Sign in to follow this  
=69.GIAP=RADKO

Scratches on Canopy Screen Like/Dislike?

Scratches on Canopy Screen Like/Dislike?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like or dislike the canopy screen scratches?

• I dislike them.
    • I like them.

I've been spending a lot of time on the official TS server and recently found out I'm not the only one who really dislikes the canopy screen scratches. I find them to be over done and quite pixelated, not just that but they're obstructive at times.

So I thought I'd make a simple poll and see what everyone thinks. Please vote!

Scratches are okayish, the "finger prints" / spots aren't (too big / low res texture overlay). For realistic cockpit glass alteirng they'd need higher res textures like in DCS so scratches and spots of dirt appear as small as they should be.

Voted "I like them", not because they could not be done better, but because it would not be better if they were not done at all.

I like the scratches but dislike the fingerprints/smudges + the blinding lightning effect you get on flat windows in certain angles off the sun.

I miss the third option - "I like them but they are overdone, maybe make them less 'apparent'..." 

I miss the third option - "I like them but they are overdone, maybe make them less 'apparent'..." 

You're right, maybe I should have given it more options. Either way I quite surprised by the results even at this early stage!  :biggrin:

Edited by =69.GIAP=RADKO

Voted "I like them", not because they could not be done better, but because it would not be better if they were not done at all.

+1

I vote "I like them" BUT I'd prefer they be toned down a little. I think the fingerprints are grossly overdone. Especially when flying into the sunlight.

This^^

The third option is the one I would vote for as well. The stuff on the canopy glass is cool, if overdone, and really gives the plastic a sense of 3d when looking back and moving around with 6dof.

Edited by [LBS]HerrMurf

I voted dislike only because it doesn't seem to make sense to have scratched up and smudged windscreens when everything else on the plane, including the paint, is suppose to be "factory fresh" 

I'm okay with the idea of scratches, as I worked with Perspex for about ten years and know how even day-old pieces can attract marks.

What I find less appealing is the low resolution quality of the marks we currently have, and how they are more prominent than tracer rounds.

• Upvote 4

If they were done like they are in someonelse's Mustang I wouldn't mind. Unfortunately the way they are now, along with fingerprints and other dirt, seems the only way to have them because the texture size used for them is too small to permit better (higher resoution) detail. (Which is something I particularly hate when it comes to in-cockpit weathering, when the same principle just leads to a poor-looking texture job. The M.C. 202 is very explicative in this sense... am I the only one seeing it?).

To sum up: I think we'd be better off without them.

And it saddens me to see the result of the poll.

Edited by Picchio
  • Upvote 1

Yes the P-51 in DCS is more consistent with what I've seen IRL. 

I dislike the windscreen "scratch gouge fingerprint" textures entirely.  Real eyes focus beyond these, monitors cannot.  It's the main reason I don't play more.

Such a beautiful landscape, environment, etc...  The immersion benefit of the scratches was lost soon after my first take off.

• Upvote 1

Didn't vote - I would need a 3rd option.

Overall I like them but I think the details on the canopy need a higher texture resolution. They are just too plump / rough / pixelated the way they are now.

I dont think adding those scratch is a good approach to simulate it in real life. because in real 3d world you will not bothered by it to much when you focus your eyes to the world outside of the canopy. but in our game if you dont have the VR , those scatch are always an annoying problem when you try to search enemy AC. maybe we can have an option in game to enable or disable it by user's decision.

Edited by III/JG2Gustav05

I kind of like them a lot actually, even if they're annoying they add to realism in my opinion. I remember Heinz Knoke describing that very daunting intercept he made his flight leader and the other element intercept... just to see that the 'enemy' were actually a couple of oil drops on the cockpit.

I think they're too big or overdone, like someone took a flat head screwdriver and gave them a good going over. Some very light/fine scratches from normal wear and polishing would look better. 

• Upvote 1

The huge white squares? It's so pixelated that it looks bad. Perhaps better to not have them at all than this in my opinion.

I hate them. Plexi should show some wear but it is usually crazing rather than gouges and giant oily hand prints everywhere that are able to completely obscure ground and air contacts. If it can't be done well then I think it is better not done at all. I've flown quite a few bubble canopy aircraft and our ground crews would never have let something like we have in-game onto the flight line IRL.

I think the size of the scratches may be related to the resolution of the texture map they use on the glass. Due to the filtered larger pixels, they might need to be as wide/large to produce a usable result without tiling, making it unrealistic for that type of material.

I am guessing that it they doubled the resolution (which could very well be possible for all the maps on the plane now after the 64 bit upgrade) and drew a new scratch texture with thinner scratches, it would be a lot better. Or by tiling it, as long as single scratches are not easily identifiable.

Best,

Klas

The old Lock On had some nice scratches modelled, but the frame rates were hit badly with them on so most people went and replaced the texture with a blank one.

I think the size of the scratches may be related to the resolution of the texture map they use on the glass. Due to the filtered larger pixels, they might need to be as wide/large to produce a usable result without tiling, making it unrealistic for that type of material.

I am guessing that it they doubled the resolution (which could very well be possible for all the maps on the plane now after the 64 bit upgrade) and drew a new scratch texture with thinner scratches, it would be a lot better. Or by tiling it, as long as single scratches are not easily identifiable.

Best,

Klas

There's no tiling now, but (similarly to other cockpit texture elements) the texture only covers one half of the geometry - half of the canopy. The other half is mirrored. And this trick is used with very little wisdom, too, I think...

Doubling the resolution wouldn't change much, in this regard.

The old Lock On had some nice scratches modelled, but the frame rates were hit badly with them on so most people went and replaced the texture with a blank one.

But it's 2016 now. Hello?

I dislike them because I think that in game render they dont work the same as in real life. In game they are allways in focus and picture is rendered from one point. In real life pilot has two eyes and can focus on distance.

• Upvote 1

I don't mind them but would like to see less of them and finger print and smudges smaller.

Must've been some pretty poor pilots or ground crew maintaining these airplanes. One of the first things any flight instructor will teach you is how to clean the windscreen in such a way as to not scratch it. People need to realize that the current condition of WWII warbirds is very different from what they would've been like during the war.

Another one for the 'I voted like but they need to be improved' brigade. Imperfections in the canopy are an important part of the experience for me, but they look amateurish compared to the DCS ones for example.

I don't like how much wear and tear is modeled on a lot of these aircraft. They look like they're years old instead of months, as many of them would have been. They never appear freshly painted, or repainted within a season. 

Yes, the planes saw a lot of use during war, so it's reasonable to expect them to look dirty, but the canopies would be clean. The exhaust smudges would be a lot less. 

Giving pilots the ability to switch some elements off, or to age the look of their planes, would be nice. 

However, all of this is cosmetic. None of this has much bearing on the overall quality of the simulation, which is amazing. 

Realistic, well done BUT far too much scratches  ...a touch of nuance would have been welcome, we are in a sim. 

Half of those would bring enough reality.

Yes far too much, especially in the FW in certain angles of light. Nightmare !  

Terrain aliasing should be improved for a clear and realistic view ... and then it will be time to bring back some scratches  ;)