jokash

Whats this game plan concerning tanks

Considering there are very little WW2 tank simulators out there...has there been any word from creators of IL2 sturmovik what are they going to do with them in their games...are they going to develop it, just leave it as a side feature of the game? Anyone knows?

From numerous comments from the dev side of things, it is likely to remain a side feature. However, given the reception from the public they have stated that should all go well it will be a side-feature that is constantly improved in terms of realism and gameplay so it might just become the next modern WW2 tank sim as well, albeit a simplified one.

Ok tnx...hope it will develop into something like il2 sturmovik 1946 but with tanks....wake me up when that happens

Ok tnx...hope it will develop into something like il2 sturmovik 1946 but with tanks....wake me up when that happens

Like 1946? Might want to start your deep freeze...

remeber panzer elite with fixed story missions and you could customize your platoon...something like that but with newer mechanics ofc

the tanks are a nice addition, imho. I have not played any other tank games. I don't want to JUST play tanks but, sometimes, I find that driving a tank for the whole mission is acceptable to me. surprised me. kinda fun.

I hope that, among the the next things they do to/with the tanks, is make the person visible when the top hatch is open. also, itd be nice if some of that 'bouncing' went away from the view/vision when driving - bouncing happens, but IRL your brain/eyes compensate automatically and your point of focus doesn't 'bounce'.

Sir Jade of Monkeys, I was sent by Mr. Coconut hoping to find a single player tank mission in Lapino map with the Gui map full display of both Russian and German front line and names of fictional unit positions, example; (German) 6th Army, 14th Panzer Corp or 14th PC, (Russian) 61st Army, 2nd Tank Guard and finally 3rd Assault Regiment.  Further more (If I'm asking to much "I fully apologies") can there be both versions: Russian and German sides on the singleplayer mission.  I would be thankful If you can achieve the tedious tasks.

P.S.: I know its large request because it was never been done nor never been asked, so if you had any trouble, give out replies and I'll truthfully respond with a explaining on the whole idea or challenge.

Sir Jade of Monkeys, I was sent by Mr. Coconut hoping to find a single player tank mission in Lapino map with the Gui map full display of both Russian and German front line and names of fictional unit positions, example; (German) 6th Army, 14th Panzer Corp or 14th PC, (Russian) 61st Army, 2nd Tank Guard and finally 3rd Assault Regiment.  Further more (If I'm asking to much "I fully apologies") can there be both versions: Russian and German sides on the singleplayer mission.  I would be thankful If you can achieve the tedious tasks.

P.S.: I know its large request because it was never been done nor never been asked, so if you had any trouble, give out replies and I'll truthfully respond with a explaining on the whole idea or challenge.

Hi Shouwick,

I had a SP mission with the t34 in the works before xmas, but with the holidays and a couple of issues with the mission design i abandoned it.

I may pick it up but it will take a couple of weeks since I'm busy this week and long weekend is coming up in the US (ski trip!!!)

I'll let you know when I'm finished.

Jade_Monkey

Wait for the announcement that 777 has licensed the DR engine to another developer in order to produce a tank sim.  And that the T-34 and PIII were actually a test to gauge consumer interest... 

Well they where right on the money on the typical T-34, but the PzIII sucks they should open just one more tank.  Oh IDK like a; Panzer IV G so the consumers on the German side has a good fighting chance!

Well they where right on the money on the typical T-34, but the PzIII sucks they should open just one more tank.  Oh IDK like a; Panzer IV G so the consumers on the German side has a good fighting chance!

You are greatly mistaken if you think that making the Panzer IVG playable will suddenly and dramatically improve the odds for the German side. It was just as vulnerable as the Panzer III.

Yep,still poor plate armor but better jousting lance ;)

After the first online tests, I was positivly surprised by the tanks.. it can be cool side feature improving gameplay for all.. but I wish some small bugs and issues could be addressed:

a)right now each "weapon slot" (ie: AP, HE, MG) has an autonomus reloading timer.. meaning you can fire 2 shots maingun shots (AP+HE) almost instantly

b) interaction with ai is unpolished: AT guns missed me and where easy to trick (maybe a placement issue in the mission design, though) while the AAA can fire at you very acuratly over long distances without line of sight.. ie: you have a hill between you and the gun and the gun arcs over it and magically sees you and hits you while you can not fire back nor hide.

c) more variety (2-3 each side) would give mission designers better balancing options

d) better mission area definition. It is too easy to get lost on the servers or to abuse the tanks and drive a loooong way onto an airfield and spawncamp. Trigger-elements and visual or audiocues (think: "leaving area X triggering radio message y) to guideplayers might be a good asset.

ou are greatly mistaken if you think that making the Panzer IVG playable will suddenly and dramatically improve the odds for the German side.

It would make T34 drivers think before advancing. Right now you can take a T34 and go straight throught, blowing up everything in your path, unless some AAA gets a lucky hit on you, its almost impossible for the Pz3 pen the front t34 armor. 

What is needed are some player Stug III's  ;) to counter the Soviet tanks ability to run rampant without much a thought, 

Would also bring the need for some tactics to support them with Pz III's, could add a very good dynamic to the tank combat

Cheers Dakpilot

What is needed are some player Stug III's  to counter the Soviet tanks ability to run rampant without much a thought, 

Indeed! I forgot about those, I think the Stugs are a better choice than the PzIV's :biggrin:  

Jade_Monkey, on 10 Jan 2016 - 15:24, said:

Yeah, not to mention war thunder and world of tanks (more arcade style)

That's why I hope they would go the Red Orchestra route with the tanks. Get a little more in depth with the armor, ballistics and shell types. I think it would just bring in more people to the game and hopefully, other tank types.

Indeed! I forgot about those, I think the Stugs are a better choice than the PzIV's :biggrin:  

Either would do.  The key is the L42 or L48 75mm.  With either of  those guns the Pzkw IV and the Stug have the ability to out range the T34.  T34 armor is still better but the German gun has better penetration and better optics.

But what you really need to take out a few of those pesky T34s is an 88mm screen :)

Out of curiosity, is it possible to generate a single player mission for tanks?

For the record:

I've checked out a lot of other tank sims on youtube today and sweet Jesus they look crappy (they all pretty much have a name beginning with "Steel"). The visuals are lame, the feel of riding in a tank is non-existent, the sounds, the guns...when you fire them the tanks hardly shake at all. And there's icons everywhere on the screens, like in children's games. Yeah, it's like they were all made in 2003 or something. There's obviously a need for a new tank-sim. I for one just can't find anything on youtube that has the same level of BOOM! as this "just for fun"-project in BOS. If anyone can spot a cool looking and sounding tank sim (WWII preferably) please do me a favour and post a youtube vid of it. I know it can be hard to judge on what's cool or not, but use my latest test drive of the mission editor for it. It really bothers me that this BOS-tank stuff is put together in a lighthearted manner, merely for [censored] and giggles...and yet the BOS-tanks outshine the "serious" competition by miles!

Or am I crazy stating this? Have I finally lost it?  :wacko:

Edited by SFC_Tako
  • Upvote 2

T34 vs Tiger is quite cool but old now

Hey, thanks for the tip!

I had a good look on it now - not too bad but it seems it's got very mixed reviews. Graphics look acceptable but if I read the reviews it seems like it's a half-finished product (again) that didn't really hit home. Something about the AI being very dumb/scripted only and then the singleplayer part didn't really amount to anything more than 6 missions per tank (=12 in total). Of course there is always the mission editor, but from what I've found out it's pretty much like the BOS-mission editor: Not made for humans. Oh, and no manual for it either. Of course ;)

Anyways, appreciate the info. 

I found the Tank warfare excellent in Red Orchestra. I would expect it to be even better in R02...

http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/overview.aspx

Indeed, this would make a great companion for BoS. Rather than add more control of ground vehicles in BoS , have BoS and RO2 installed on your PC and swap between the two to get the full flavour of the conflict.

The armour modelling looks to be particularly good...

http://wiki.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?title=RO2_Tanks

Edited by Elem

@Elem: Right on! I curse myself for forgetting about Red Orchestra! I've only played the first game (very long ago) but the tank warfare was just plain AWESOME there. I curse myself again!

Thanks for the refreshing reminder, might just have to look at RO2 now :)

@Elem: Right on! I curse myself for forgetting about Red Orchestra! I've only played the first game (very long ago) but the tank warfare was just plain AWESOME there. I curse myself again!

Thanks for the refreshing reminder, might just have to look at RO2 now :)

I have just bought RO2 myself on Steam. Looking forward to it. May see you on the battlefield there then?

Try out Armored Warfare. It's free and lots of my hardcore World of Tanks friends are switching to it.

Looks good, but it is modern AFVs. Might give it a go though.

Armored Warfare is just like WOT except with modern weapons. Just too arcade for me. Right now War Thunder is the best tank game out there, But you have to deal with an extremely caustic forum and heavy Russian bias IMOP. 

I think RO2 has more focus on infantry combat, with a little bit of tanking here and there. I don't mean that the tank simulation part is bad, I've never tried tanks in RO2, but it has mostly smaller maps and very few vehicles modelled. Don't get me wrong, I totally like that game, but you might not get what you want if you are only interested in tanks.

RO/RO2 are pure MP games.Steel Fury (forget about T34 vs Tiger) is pure SP game,but nowdays the only thing you can call "WW2 tank sim". Kept alive by small dedicated community.

There is no WW2 up-to-date tank sim that has both SP and MP in one package.

Edited by Brano

what happened to T34 vs. Tiger?; remember the physics/graphics were pretty good for its time

Thanks for all the info! And maybe I'll try RO2 even if the focus is mostly on infantry, which in RO1 was pretty damn hectic...and nerve wrecking :) I mean even if they still got just a few tanks in RO2 - they oughta be just as good or better than in RO1. And RO1 was awesome, for example: guys were always placing their tanks facing the enemy at an angle...'cause that really mattered!

Thanks for all the info! And maybe I'll try RO2 even if the focus is mostly on infantry, which in RO1 was pretty damn hectic...and nerve wrecking :) I mean even if they still got just a few tanks in RO2 - they oughta be just as good or better than in RO1. And RO1 was awesome, for example: guys were always placing their tanks facing the enemy at an angle...'cause that really mattered!

RO2 is a great game and definitely worth your time and money, even if you just want to experience the tank combat. Very hardcore (like RO1), and the Pacific expansion is really interesting and fun. 

I also have to give it up for War Thunder. Not a sim of course, but I think the armor/ballistics/physics of the game are really well done. No idea if they are realistic, but it certainly feels real enough. It also has a fantastic ballistic representation any time there is a penetrating hit. I love War Thunder. 

What is needed are some player Stug III's  to counter the Soviet tanks ability to run rampant without much a thought

Hi Guys I'm back, its been long since I last replied.  So Dakpilot, suggested a Stug against the T-34.  You've guys guessed by now, that I believed such an idea would be awesome!

BTW: Sir Jade, before you post a reply try to take the time to imagine how to used the Translator icons to the GuI Map.  Here my tip to you is; trying create color for you're fronts: Get the Translator Icon, type any text messages you want, then copy & paste that same Icon, then Target Link from the old Icon to the new Icon, then save you're mission, enter the game to access the you're mission briefing and finally there you'll see the text front in color (Also note; in the editor you need to overlap the position of the old Icon with the new Icon K) if you tried out already that fine, others needed to know these tips anyway.  I hope you had the vacation of you're life K!