Plank

Very hard to see enemy planes. ( Is this the beginning of the end?)

Chaps.

Very small faint smudges/clumps of pixels.

My side or theirs?

There is no way to ID the plane before it's too late.

Frankly, I am a bit annoyed.

I came over form RoF which I have played a bit and had no real issues with the visuals

and the hardware bench mark for BoS is RoF, so I thought sure, why not.

But it's not quite the same is it.

I can see planes in RoF quite a way off but not in BoS for some reason.

and the action happens way too fast, so that wee dot/smudge in the distance is

going to be here very soon and it might be the enemy. Or it not.

1920 x 1080 22" screen just does not seem to cut it. Which is a shame because it's ok for RoF.

And the halo around planes against the clouds is a bit off, not to mention trying to

work out if that is actually the runway or a bit more grass about to pop in...

problems that I have never had in RoF. ( ok the spinning tree's is a bit naff)

I should imagine that a giant higher density screen might make things better, and the

associated video card and CPU, mobo, PSU, memory etc....  sigh.

Something feels no quite what I expected.

Maybe it's the lack of advanced graphics menu... that took me a bit by surprise.

( oh, I said...)

My eyes are not that great but BoS is too hard on them I am afraid.

Maybe they could add a "squint" key so your pilot increases his depth of field 

by screwing up his eyes... or something...

and when the enemy fly against the ground... gone.  trying to follow them is pointless.

Trying to work out where they may "pop out" is, well, largely guesswork.

I guess my gear is just not up to it.

Blinking heck.

Salute!

Plank.

Edited by plank

Mr Plank, you made it over here, how nice.

Yes it is a shock at first because it's all so fast compared to our previous rides.

My advice for what it's worth, stick with it do the campaign or quick missions, PWCG is also available. Practice is the key.

All things considered RoF is the easiest flight sim to spot and ID aircraft. Great graphics, slow speed, close range and planes with all sorts of shapes and numbers of wings.

WWII takes practice. Eventually you'll get the ability to ID planes based upon very subtle cues like where the radiator is under the wings and such. Also many time it is in fact difficult and was in reality as well.

One clue in the Campaign or SP. listen to the radio. Notice who's getting shot at by ground fire.

It's possible but it takes practice.

And the there's hardware. A 22" screen IMO is a bit small for playing without icons. Maybe an upgrade is in order.

• Upvote 1

Salute Spyboy.

The speed is not the issue, I spent an inordinate amount of time flying the N28 through forests etc.

It's more, um.

Visually murky.

no idea. If there were things to turn down I would but, well, there is nothing to fiddle with.

the actual flying is pretty easy. Fast but it's not even half the work load of a good tangle in Rof.

and I took a blinking BF 109 out for a casual blast. It's the Dva od BoS... how cute.

I will try my luck I suppose. Thanks for the advice!

Salute!

Plank.

PS. I think Mr Sharpe may be grasping my problem re comment on monitor size.

But it seems to to me that BoS is "fuzzier" than RoF.  in my humble opinion.

Edited by plank

Yeah and finally in WWII. It was just difficult to ID planes sometimes.

In Operation Bodenplatte Germany lost something like 25% of their aircraft to friendly fire

And at Pearl Harbor some American Dauntless dive bombers were shot down by US AA gunners who thought they were Japanese planes.

i think the original post should be permanently attached on the 2nd page of the manual for BOS.

this is a common, and expected, "issue". this complaint is heard very frequently. i know how it sounds with my voice repeating it.

.....BUT, the advice is correct: practice will eventually teach you 'how' to both spot AND i.d. the planes at reasonable distances. oh yeah, "patience" needs to be included in that "practice". sharp mentions some good points. the key is to study the different shapes of the planes, in various angles, noting key identifiers, and then practice differentiating them further and further out. you will find that, little by little, your eye and brain will learn to do it.

part of the problem with spotting is that, for a while, you do not know how to know where a plane is NOT at. so you spend inordinate amounts of time and strain staring at empty spaces. again, this is overcome eventually with persistant, patient practice. practice = playing and getting killed a lot.

its amazing to watch mrx's videos and see how easy it is for him to spot planes WAY out, and to ID them too! at 1st,  i thought he had some kind of super-trick monitor (and maybe he does?) but, as i get more experienced, i find my skills inching ("millimetering" to you euros) towards that capability.

i have a 24" 1080p monitor.

• Upvote 1

I can assure you spotting aircraft in RL is also difficult as well.  I fly in the SoCal area and I've been as close as a mile and a half looking in the right direction and still can't pick them up and I have the support of ATC using Radar.  There are times when you don't pick up movement or they are in a certain highlight in the sun and they are invisible.  It happens all the time. 

In terms of a sim what would help you is a bigger monitor at the same res.  Very high Res monitors are great but when you're using a 22 inch they will be very small dots.  Remember some guys are running on much bigger monitors and lower res so they can see them better.  The challenge with any sim is to ID them and make sure you're not bouncing a friendly. 

Good luck with the sim

• Upvote 1

Plank you are completely right , don't let any one ` say any thing different , most of us are struggling seeing contacts . What you have wrote is correct and is right .

After all you have just set this game up .

We have been flying it for some time , and the contacts have become smudged as you say ...!!!

Enjoy it , there are some lovely stuff hidden away .

Don`t listen too people telling you any different .

Hope the next patch will sort out issues . 

its amazing to watch mrx's videos and see how easy it is for him to spot planes WAY out, and to ID them too! at 1st, i thought he had some kind of super-trick monitor (and maybe he does?) but, as i get more experienced, i find my skills inching ("millimetering" to you euros) towards that capability.

MP was and is everytime a place where the player do everything to be better than you. Expert Mode is a Mode who see the enemy first wins. You can be the best player ever but if you not see the enemy who is sneaking behind you you are a dead men. Today I shoot down a very good player. He never expected that I appear there where he never expect to get a enemy contact. I open fire around 150m behind him and destroyed him. See even good players goes down in flames. I never expected myself to get that close to a very good player to shoot him down from close without a dogfight. And he never expected to meet a noob that comes from nowhere and flys very close behind him waiting to push the trigger...... :cool: 

MP was and is everytime a place where the player do everything to be better than you. Expert Mode is a Mode who see the enemy first wins. You can be the best player ever but if you not see the enemy who is sneaking behind you you are a dead men. Today I shoot down a very good player. He never expected that I appear there where he never expect to get a enemy contact. I open fire around 150m behind him and destroyed him. See even good players goes down in flames. I never expected myself to get that close to a very good player to shoot him down from close without a dogfight. And he never expected to meet a noob that comes from nowhere and flys very close behind him waiting to push the trigger...... :cool:

Just like reality.

Well, I'm in the same situation as you and roughly same config (1920*1080, 22" screen)

Just don't despair and stick on flying. Steam said I've spent 340 hours into the game, yet I just start too feel that my ID speed is improving slowly. 

Even with a few dozen pixels there are still differences in shapes between planes. I noticed not a long time ago that the rads of the 109 are visible from a good distance, and that when looked from the side, yaks and laggs look more of a banana shaped stuff than the german planes. Also the blue color of the under of russian plane is very characteristic and visible from far away. On summer and autumn maps, this a very useful hint. And usually, german fighters appears to be a bit darker than russians (when all you see is a few grey pixels). 

I'm still amazed by how fast some people can identify these pixels but I'm definitely not as slow as I was 2 month ago. 

• Upvote 2

Coming from DCS World, and seldom used RoF, all I can say is that I really like how visual identification of targets works in BoS. Superior BY FAR to DCS, even with their latest "imposters" approach...

Actually, overall, visibility, view angles from cockpit, etc, are far superior in il-2 BoS

I am about to start again trying to adhere to RoF, if it's even better then WoW!!!

IRL it's really difficult to identify other aircraft, specially gliders and other GA during day...

Treat any contact as hostile until its clearly identified.

Treat any contact as hostile until its clearly identified.

And remember, worst case scenario "I'm sorry" goes a long way :)

• Upvote 1

Where I have the most problem is spotting aircraft within the summer and autumn maps....below me...I can see the ack...shooting at them...I can even see them when they bank somewhat...but as soon as I lose sight of them for an instance...I have a difficult time relocating them again.  Perhaps just more practice...I have noticed that my ID skills are improving somewhat....with time.....Maybe some nice shadow effects would help....

Honestly, I think it's hard to pick up incoming planes too. But as has been said already, it was in real life also. A glint off of a canopy or something else reflective was often the first evidence of an unidentified aircraft. On the other hand, I've marveled in this sim at how far away I can actually follow another plane visually if I know where to look. Do the F4 view of a plane and then switch to the free camera. If you don't take your eye off of it, you can literally watch the plane until it blends seamlessly into the distance. I feels very realistic to me.

For the fighters, yes it's pleasant, but not with the big twin engines, they have a tendency to brutally disapear under your eyes as soon as they get out of rendering distance.

On the "vs IRL" matter, If identifying is sometimes very hard, I agree than spotting contacts is way easier in BoS than in real life. 

Even with my flight instructors that fly daily on VFR, we rarely manage to spot an aircraft any further than 3-4km away, even when the ATC is telling us where and what to look for.

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber

Dear chaps.

I have a sense , and I could be wrong, that there is some kind of "thing" going on where the small group of pixels is

becoming more and more less plane like and increasingly more like a brownish smudge.

There is certain effect when you mix colours together that happens, you end up with "brown".

If you took the colour scheme of each plane and blended each one you would get the colour that

plane will "smudge" into. and if your plane is visually represented by a cluster of pixels it will have to

do that, unlike RL where the thing just gets smaller.

Planes fly over my house all the time. Fixed wing, Roatary etc. Jets, piston.... I watch them flying

and apart from the ones my brain has yet to see, I can visually track them no problem.

With a low res screen and less and less pixels to represent the plane as it moves away, a good

algorithm must be employed to best display the plane..... Is that not good sense?

Could it be AMD vs Nvidia? Does all the magic happen in the GPU or the CPU?

The practical side of spotting AC is not new to me, and the AC "disappearing" in the back ground

is something that might not be a real as you might think.

and the halo around distant planes against the clouds just makes me thing it's some algo

that is a bit out of sorts. Like edge detection that is gooffed up etc.

how many chaps have "sharpening " on? Can you do that in MP?

Is that the magic bullet?

Even in cruddy old Didgital cameras the difference between Sharp and no sharp

would make a massive difference....

I am picking that some people have an edge, maybe not knowingly but it might

be some kind of "magic"...

Can you run an FX program while in MP?

the difference between 22" and 24" screen size for the same rez may be a killer move...

Salute!

Plank.

PS. That small blob of pixels is only on your side while it's not shooting at you....

Coming from DCS World, and seldom used RoF, all I can say is that I really like how visual identification of targets works in BoS. Superior BY FAR to DCS, even with their latest "imposters" approach...

Actually, overall, visibility, view angles from cockpit, etc, are far superior in il-2 BoS

I am about to start again trying to adhere to RoF, if it's even better then WoW!!!

IRL it's really difficult to identify other aircraft, specially gliders and other GA during day...

Really? I found it the other way around. I have better visibility in the cockpit in DCS, I have no slight stutters when looking around (solid framerate) with trackIR, and I can see planes a hell of a lot further away than 3km with DCS Edge.

In BoS all the planes just disappear after 3KM. In RoF I can see planes super far away, they look like hand-drawn dots/mini-biplanes. 

I play with a pretty decent size TV since I used to play iRacing and didn't want to do a multi monitor setup, so I know it's nothing with my monitor size.

Edited by stuffinDmuffin

It's lots of single planes flying around by themselves. They should be, are, and always will be difficult to spot. There is no issue there, it simply is that way with a single plane.

WWII air combat was mostly large formations after large formations. Even on the Eastern Front, it would be at least 2 vs 2 and usually at least a few more. Coming across a furball of several planes is easy to spot. Coming across a single medium sized bomber is easy to spot. The smaller attack aircraft are a bit more difficult, especially when looking down from 4km to the deck, or even 8km level at 3km. As it should be. Planes just don't pop up with a giant "I'm here!" icon like in normal mode.

Yesterday I ran across a formation of 2 109s, I saw them quite easy because there were two of them. I zoomed in from above and off to their 3Oc slightly high. Dove behind and below the rear ship. Lit him up and he broke off. Pursued the second one and he broke off. He never saw me because I was low and behind him. He didn't know where I came from or where I was going, but I knew where he was the whole time. I could track and watch him, while he scanned the skies for me not knowing where I was as it should be. It should not be easy to spot a single fighter. He went down too.

I've been jumped too by aircraft I never saw, just as it happened in reality. I've jumped aircraft that never saw me coming, just as it happened in reality.

It should be difficult to see single fighter aircraft, but if they are constantly getting in close and downing you it isn't an issue with visibility - it is SA.

It helps, and should be used constantly, to zoom in and scan. We're playing on scaled down views. I have a 27" monitor running 2560x1440 with the view fully zoomed out. That makes everything less than half size it would be in reality. That is why icons are used, or the ability to use "scaled" planes like DCS incorporated recently and some other sim/game had in the past - because everything is not full size unless you play with a more realistic scale. However, it still isn't impossible to spot planes out to 7km in BoS in Expert without icons. It just requires "your head" to be on a swivel, which is exactly how it should be. In WWII large aerial battles occurred with 60+ airplanes in a small area and within minutes it dissipated. It wasn't that easy to just look around and see all targets except if they were in groups/formations.

I have RoF myself, and of course identification is easier there - the aircraft are traveling at less than a 1/3rd of the speed which gives all of the time in the world. There isn't even any action required to make a maneuver until the enemy is within 1km. WWI and WWII air combat simply isn't comparable in any form, from spotting to maneuvering.

Edited by FuriousMeow
  • Upvote 1

While I agree with all the previous posters' comments about the speed of closure, SA etc, I also believe that there is something different about the two games that makes spotting harder in BoS if you compare specific situations. 

In RoF, I can have difficulty holding sight of a target even if it is close but only if it is below the horizon. Camouflage works - perhaps better in the game than in RL. But in BoS I sometimes have trouble following a target above the horizon even if it is within 1km and I am looking right at it.

I suspect that there a variety of reasons for this in a combination of RL factors and the way the games treat colours: 

- The lighting: on the winter map the sky is generally hazy and off white, but not uniform in colour and the general haze seems to affect the clarity of targets' shapes. (The cloud problem is especially annoying).

- The target colours: often white or silver-grey, matching the overcast skies. Just as RFC brown planes are almost impossible to see against the no-mans'-land backdrop, in BoS many planes are exquisitely adapted to their environment. Far fewer flash colour schemes. So they can be very hard to see above the horizon as well.

- I suspect that the combination of the two above, combined with antialiasing, is sometimes making edge detection much harder.

- Shape: the RoF plane I sometimes have difficulty spotting is the Fokker EIII. The monoplane configuration presents a smaller and slimmer area crucially with far less shadow.

- Cockpit canopy: targets are noticeably blurred when observed through a windscreen in RoF, but we do not often do this except when we are close enough to shoot. In BoS looking through the canopy is the norm and this must be having an effect.

I know that if I turn down anti-aliasing and super-sampling in RoF from my usual maxed out settings, targets become much easier to see, especially against the ground, since the edges of wings are much less smudged. (Of course then the beauty and immersion is reduced). So you might simply try a different pre-set or adjust what advanced graphic settings we do have to get a sharper edge.

Chaps.

I do have an issue with seeing planes and it's not "spotting" or opening ones eyeballs.

1) Halo around planes. ( not good)

2) Very grainy at distance.

3) Planes are TWINKLING when in front of clouds. Even disappearing.

( Let me say this once again IN FRONT of clouds)

Comparing RoF to BoS There is a significant difference.

I have pictures:

post-59561-0-85091200-1452320909_thumb.jpg

post-59561-0-52211100-1452320929_thumb.jpg

post-59561-0-18463100-1452320944_thumb.jpg

post-59561-0-16238500-1452320960_thumb.jpg

so the plane seems to disintegrate while in front of clouds.

when it goes over similar coloured ground at maybe 500 it's gone...

at a K it's nothing.

will try with clear skies next.

Salute.

Plank.

PS. Can you tell me if the flying smudge in pic 4 has it's radiator open or not?

Edited by plank

OK after more testing.

I followed a 190 around in SP it would fuzz out at times but seemed to be ok ish.

THEN it flew into the edge of a cloud and went really low res/Pixel hell.

It came around to shoot me ( It had no ammunition) and I got a really good look at it up close 

and it was really really really low res. ( I actually saw this) It then decided to go High res right then there. pop.

So it seemed to pixilate when it hits the cloud and then stayed stuck like that until it changed back to non pixel hell. 

Ideas?

I have never seen this behaviour in RoF ever.

It's a deal breaker. Will try to record it some how. Need some software....

Salute !

Plank.

The pixelation you are talking about is the haze of the cloud distorting your sight. I'm not seeing a problem... 

The plane in the 4th picture is beginning to penetrate the outer layer of that cloud...

Yeah the way aircrafts are being displayed when in or front of a cloud layer is bad. I hope this will get improved in the future (even if I remember of a "technology limitation" answer from Han on some similar question)

On the FX question, I'm using sweet FX with sharpening ON. Gamma on 0.8 in game and a few tweaks of contrast, brightness and vibrance within the sweetfx config file. 

No problem using it in MP. To me it helped for spotting, especially on ground targets. 

I don't think he has a "Trick". I think he always has someone covering him whilst he goes for his shots. Watch his videos. He doesnt really  check Behind 3 or 9 o clock. He has got a couple of good friends flying with him, He doesn't need to really worry about his six ! very smart I would say ~S~

• Upvote 1

I don't think he has a "Trick". I think he always has someone covering him whilst he goes for his shots. Watch his videos. He doesnt really  check Behind 3 or 9 o clock. He has got a couple of good friends flying with him, He doesn't need to really worry about his six ! very smart I would say ~S~

Also two or three pairs of 'eyes' are better than one with teamspeak, the famous Aces of the Eastern front did not do it alone  ;)

The pixelation you are talking about is the haze of the cloud distorting your sight. I'm not seeing a problem... 

The plane in the 4th picture is beginning to penetrate the outer layer of that cloud...

The lower the resolution/AA/SS/SGSS the more this effect is apparent, to render the transition when entering/close to cloud perfectly would be a larger performance hit than already present with clouds

Cheers Dakpilot

Edited by Dakpilot

Are you kidding me.

That plane is MILES away from that cloud.

No really.

It is IN FRONT of the cloud.

Did I not mention that. I am sure I did. ( Do I have to make a video now... )

The plane flies in front of a cloud and it starts to blink/pulsate/flicker etc. 

and the plane flying back toward me was definitely way way way low res

and it popped back in to high res in front of my very own eyes, at quite close distance.

Blinking terrible. And it was not in a cloud, near a cloud but, had recently been close to one.

Turn the clouds off and everything is fine. It's a serious and cloudy issue...

So yes, it's a bother.

RoF seems to do planes in clouds with no issue at all. Why can't BoS?

(let me guess they changed something...)

Salute!

Plank.

Edited by plank

The pixelation artifact in front of clouds is ugly, but for me it rather makes it easier to spot planes there, not harder.

Do the test and upload an He-111 at 4000-5000m level and try to bomb, you will realize that now is broken this type of attack.Objectives shall see until you are above them and so is impossible.

If we can not use height bombers I'll have to return to Cliffs of Dover.

Edited by A0Super61

RoF does indeed do clouds flawlessly in this respect (doubters should just look at any RoF video) - of course the range of cloud types is much better in BoS, but something has got broken in the technology during the engine "upgrade". That plus the very short view distance for ground objects (which I believe A0Super61 is alluding to in his post above), also not present in RoF, are the two largest immersion breaking graphics features in the current build.

Let us just hope that some improvements can be made to these essential features of a flying game between the new tank releases.

It 

Are you kidding me.

That plane is MILES away from that cloud.

No really.

It is IN FRONT of the cloud.

Did I not mention that. I am sure I did. ( Do I have to make a video now... )

The plane flies in front of a cloud and it starts to blink/pulsate/flicker etc. 

and the plane flying back toward me was definitely way way way low res

and it popped back in to high res in front of my very own eyes, at quite close distance.

Blinking terrible. And it was not in a cloud, near a cloud but, had recently been close to one.

Turn the clouds off and everything is fine. It's a serious and cloudy issue...

So yes, it's a bother.

RoF seems to do planes in clouds with no issue at all. Why can't BoS?

(let me guess they changed something...)

Salute!

Plank.

In front of, in the cloud, it is all 3D trickery :biggrin:   

It is a well known/understood issue and has been much discussed  ;) you do not need to upload a video  :biggrin:

As said there are ways to reduce the effect but come at performance cost

The clouds are different to RoF, in many ways allowing much more features depth and variety, however this rendering method has its big disadvantages ,

somewhere back in the day in a thread long long ago a person with proper understanding of video game graphics rendering explained it all, it was all rather complicated for me, but I got the idea the issue is common among many modern games with this type of graphic/rendering process particularly with clouds

Cheers Dakpilot

The clouds are different to RoF, in many ways allowing much more features depth and variety, however this rendering method has its big disadvantages ,

Looking at screenshots, it seems RoF uses a rather common sprite-based technique to render clouds. Each sprite is a small puffy cloud, and an actual cloud is composed of several such sprites.

The method BoS uses appears to be similar to this:

I'm not too familiar with the method, but it looks like it's using some sort of ray-casting algorithm, intersecting each ray with a volume. More demanding on the GPU, but more realistic (that's how real cloud are "rendered" in reality). The problem is that modern GPUs don't have the power to cast one ray per pixel, and this is why clouds look a bit blurry/pixelated on the edges.

I think I know why we get aliasing artifacts with clouds: In most 3d engines, transparent objects have to be rendered after non-transparent objects. So basically what happens is the game renders the landscape and the plane, and antialiasing happens between the plane edges and the landscape. After that, clouds are rendered. The game is not rendering a cloud pixel by pixel, but by blocks of NxN pixels because of computational power limitations (maybe for N=4, I would guess). For each block, the game has to check whether the block is before or behind what has already been drawn so far. That causes problems around the edge of planes, because you have gaps of of to N pixels between the edge of the plane and cloud where remnants of the landscape are rendered.

In stereoscopic vision (3d, VR), I would expect physics-based volumetric clouds would look much better than sprite based ones. They also play much nicer with atmospheric lighting effects, something BoS is very good at.

Apparently real-time ray-tracing may become a thing in a not too distant future: http://blog.imgtec.com/powervr-developers/real-time-ray-tracing-on-powervr-gr6500-ces-2016

Maybe this hardware would have what it takes to have fully detailed clouds. In the mean time, it would be nice if we had access to individual graphics settings. People with GPU builds capable of 60FPS at 4K with blocky clouds could try to render 1080p (perhaps at 30FPS) and have stunning pixel-fine clouds.

• Upvote 2

Thanks Chaps.

something is not right. Check. ( thanks for the info on the subject! )

Planes that have been flying through, near or in front of clouds in my game are getting mushed to hell.

to the point where I cannot tell what kind of plane it is. Even up close.

I see the the plane. I watch the the plane. I study the plane.

It's a garbled mess of pixels. Pixle spam.

The small smudge of yellow gives away the BF 109 but that's it.

In RoF I could tell a plane at various distances from another, no problem, there was never any weird stuff going on.

so those pics I uploaded are examples of exactly what I don't want to see in a dog fight.

Nice clouds are great but NOT being able to ID a plane properly in a combat sim is outrageous.

sometimes the planes I am trying to study are flashing on and off as they interact with clouds. It's, well, heck it sucks.

Oh well. I hope they fix the problem.

The planes should be pin sharp.

I would have made that priority number one.

RoF does a pretty decent job of that.

Fancy clouds second. :)

Rainbows and sunsets third...

Random birds flying around forth...

Salute!

Plank.

( and I do watch real planes flying around so I "understand"...)

The effect at the clouds is unfortunate. If I can follow what coconut said, basically the anti-aliasing is not functioning there. And that's indeed what it looks like. A solution can be to try Nvidia DSR since that doesn't rely on aa processing, it's adding super sampling i.e. Rendering everything at a higher resolution and shrinking it onto your screen.

On a UHD monitor this cloud effect disappears since very little if any antialiasing is needed at that resolution.

• Upvote 1

I don't want reality because in reality you had to fly for hours before you spotted a plane. And that in a game is a game of hide and seek. I find tag much more enjoyable.

So, I spend a lot of my MP time in the Normal server with icons. It is a furball and that too is not reality and neither is the no to little engine management.

However, I do fly in Wings of Liberty when some of my online friends show up in Team Speak. You can find about five of us

TeamSpeak 8.3.5.133:9407 Pw: bos2014 MP#1 Allied English. When you have about five guys flying together the spotting becomes much better situation just as in real life.

I get on about 7 PM central but most otheres start much earlier. Please join us.

To help with seeing planes better you might try the following.

Lower the Gamma setting even more and where the Config file is to be found:

For me at:

D:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\startup.cfg

In there is a line for Gamma that you can reduce ingame to only 0.8, but manually you can lower it much more.

I have flown it with 0.5 and this makes the spotting easier.

Edited by Uriah
  • Upvote 1