Sign in to follow this  
VR-DriftaholiC

Oculus Rift Pre Orders! Jan 6th

Price and Specs will be revealed tomorrow, and questions answered on the spec etc later in the day by Palmer.

Irelevant for this game here. No support planned or even possible with the gameengine of BOS in its current state.

We germans get even more ripped. here its 699 plus 41 shipping.

AND they dont even manage to get the preorders ruinning right. Checkout shows a price of 69900 € ROFL.

$599 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I like VR but LOL NOPE!

What do you mean, you don't want to pay $600/€699/£500 of hardware pre-tax and shipping, without the "must have" hand controllers and extra camera, from a company with not one successful mainstream launch of anything, and two pack in games shipping for date, which superficially resemble other games but neither of which seem to have been mentioned as 'the next mario 64' or 'the next freespace 2' gameplay wise by anyone ever?

It's encouraging that one of the games bundled with it is a "flight sim" style game. I'm not so excited about Lucky the Fox. But that EVE Valkyrie highlight the coolest type of game you can play in VR. Flight sims!

OK, i ordered mine:)

I just upgraded my system to 2x 980TI and a new 6700k CPU so i HAD TO buy the oculus. I made the Systemupgrade FOR the rift. So no way around:)

I'm interested in EVE Valkyrie, and only moderately in the OR. Even less so with the cost announced.

The Vive is a bit more interesting. They delayed release to add a front facing camera so you can see back into the real world. I haven't seen any information about DirectX version support, or dropping of any, so that is still a mystery with the Vive. It will also support an additional light box that will allow sensors to detect movement in a room. It's an add on, but I won't be standing up to stumble around my room to recreate body movements. Just end up breaking something doing that.

so that is still a mystery with the Vive

You cant do all the optimisations needed to provide the necessary framerates with a DX version as old as DX9. So you can count on the Vive needing DX 10+ at least too i believe.

I find the Vive to be interesting as well. And if the price is OK i will most likely get one of these as well once they become available.

For me however the lighthouse is not that much of an argument since i dont have a spare room to empty:)

Edited by StG2_Winger

Pre Ordered Mine... I certainly hope that IL2 will be upgraded over time to support newer versions of DX.  I wish them a lot of luck with BOM and others. 

support newer versions of DX

+1 I hope the people that have a voice over there get to the insight that VR is THE next big thing in simming and a must have.

IMHO a sim that misses to jump on the train in time will not last.

Edited by StG2_Winger

You cant do all the optimisations needed to provide the necessary framerates with a DX version as old as DX9.

That's not exactly true. Oculus development dropped it due to resource limitations, and not DX9 resource limitations.

Plus VR isn't going to dictate a game/sims life. It is still very much a niche product. Look at the system requirements, and the cost of the device itself. Many people are running cards less than the 970, if not the majority. And CPUs, many here are running far less than the i5-4590. Then there are the USB requirements, you need 3 USB3.0 ports which necessitates having a motherboard that has that many USB 3.0 ports which will be another upgrade for the majority.

Maybe in 5 years VR will be the big thing that most will be running, but not anytime soon.

Edited by FuriousMeow

That's not exactly true. Oculus development dropped it due to resource limitations, and not DX9 resource limitations.

Plus VR isn't going to dictate a game/sims life. It is still very much a niche product. Look at the system requirements, and the cost of the device itself. Many people are running cards less than the 970, if not the majority. And CPUs, many here are running far less than the i5-4590. Then there are the USB requirements, you need 3 USB3.0 ports which necessitates having a motherboard that has that many USB 3.0 ports which will be another upgrade for the majority.

Maybe in 5 years VR will be the big thing that most will be running, but not anytime soon.

That's not exactly true, DX9 is an ageing dinosaur and it's support and development is naturally dying off with Windows XP, we are now in the age of DX12 and hardware manufacturers are perfectly correct to let older stuff fall away, they can't maintain legacy support for DX9 forever and nobody is developing VR titles in DX9.

I personally wouldn't call $2Bn of investment from Facebook a limitation in resource on Oculus's behalf, coding legacy support for an API nobody is likely to use in future titles is a wasted resource though, this does not however prevent DX9 based software from still using VR, there are examples in current circulation, the onus however is on the software developers to make it work and not on Oculus.

VR is already dictating the direction of much of the hardware which in turn is dictating the software, in 5 years VR will probably be the norm as far as gaming is concerned.

• Upvote 1

I'm a big supporter of VR I think it revolutionises flight sims. However I won't pay $600 for something they won't even disclose the specs. I think I'll end up with a vive anyway.

599 US dollar is about 550 euros.

Yet is going to be sold in Europe for 700 euros.

So in Europe, people pay about 150 euro (= about 170 US dollar) more than the people in the US for the same piece of hardware.

This fact alone makes me stick up a certain finger to the makers of the Rift.

I'll wait for alternatives.

• Upvote 1

CooperativeTameArgentinehornedfrog.gif

741 EUROS. Nice try Facebook! Sadly Valve's - HTC Vive is more advanced in technology = even more expensive!

Edited by Krause

599 US dollar is about 550 euros.

Yet is going to be sold in Europe for 700 euros.

So in Europe, people pay about 150 euro (= about 170 US dollar) more than the people in the US for the same piece of hardware.

This fact alone makes me stick up a certain finger to the makers of the Rift.

I'll wait for alternatives.

Its Taxes and customs fees plus 41 Euro Shipping. Germans are being ripped off big time by our government:P

I saw a shop in Switzerland selling the preorders for 450 Euro. So if you know someone there jsut have him buy for you. Shippingdate there is already at June.

Dont know how it looks for the official preorders. But seems like they begin to go to second half 2016 already.

Edited by StG2_Winger

I figure in due time some people will not like it and start selling it.

As other vendors come to the market, we'll see what the prices will do.

Edited by Bando

THE next big thing in simming and a must have

At those prices your idea of 'must have' is obviously not the same as mine.

Apart from the prohibitive pricing, I am still waiting to see if it fizzles out just like VR did in the 90s.

Edited by beepee

Its Taxes and customs fees plus 41 Euro Shipping. Germans are being ripped off big time by our government:P

I saw a shop in Switzerland selling the preorders for 450 Euro. So if you know someone there jsut have him buy for you. Shippingdate there is already at June.

Dont know how it looks for the official preorders. But seems like they begin to go to second half 2016 already.

Which shop mate? could you pls pm me?

thank you

Which shop mate? could you pls pm me?

thank you

It was an error. My Switzer mate told me they ocrrected the prize meanwhile. Sorry mate.

There is no way VR fizzles out this time.  Billions of dollars are being spent on the hardware, and software as we speak.  The current CV1 and Vive prototypes are more than good enough for many applications far beyond gaming, and will only get better.  

VR is the future of flight sims, and any dev that doesn't implement it will shrink their minuscule market share even further.  Infact VR has the potential to reinvigorate the flight sim genre, but only in VR.   The feel of flight in VR makes flying with a monitor laughable.  The current consumer level VR units appear to be good enough for space flight sim where its easy to spot distant aircraft lite up against the blackness of space, but for WW2 type sims, the distance resolution might have to be much better.   That said, there is still hope that the current custom VR displays, and custom optic lenses, may make up for some the low resolution issues.

There is no way VR fizzles out this time.  Billions of dollars are being spent on the hardware, and software as we speak.  The current CV1 and Vive prototypes are more than good enough for many applications far beyond gaming, and will only get better.  

VR is the future of flight sims, and any dev that doesn't implement it will shrink their minuscule market share even further.  Infact VR has the potential to reinvigorate the flight sim genre, but only in VR.   The feel of flight in VR makes flying with a monitor laughable.  The current consumer level VR units appear to be good enough for space flight sim where its easy to spot distant aircraft lite up against the blackness of space, but for WW2 type sims, the distance resolution might have to be much better.   That said, there is still hope that the current custom VR displays, and custom optic lenses, may make up for some the low resolution issues.

While I agree with what you say in principle, billions of dollars were spent on 3D TV hardware and moviemaking, by many different companies, and it still did not make mainstream and has pretty much sort of fizzled out,

hopefully the higher than expected entry price for VR wont be a huge setback...the proposed initial pricepoint  was reasonably well accepted, the reality came as a bit of a shock to the majority...enough for a lot to take a wait and see approach, rather than the 'must have' it was...., the hype train seems to have got a bit de-railed rather than picked up speed...at least that is what I seem to notice from (very) general reading

quite where the 'billions' of dollars have gone seems a bit strange to the masses, when a reasonable facsimile can be made with a mobile phone, some cardboard  ;) and free software

Cheers Dakpilot

Edited by Dakpilot

The price for Spain including shipment is 741€. Although I was expecting something in the range of 500€ I didn´t doubt a second to make the pre-order last 6th-Jan. Expected shipment in May.

A device that make you feel unforgetable experiences like being in the ApolloXI launch, being infront of a screaming T-Rex or listening  "Pale blue dot" speech orbiting around the planets is priceless.

I wonder what will be the plans of 1C-777 for VR, but I am sure they will succeed on it.

While I agree with what you say in principle, billions of dollars were spent on 3D TV hardware and moviemaking, by many different companies, and it still did not make mainstream and has pretty much sort of fizzled out,

hopefully the higher than expected entry price for VR wont be a huge setback...the proposed initial pricepoint  was reasonably well accepted, the reality came as a bit of a shock to the majority...enough for a lot to take a wait and see approach, rather than the 'must have' it was...., the hype train seems to have got a bit de-railed rather than picked up speed...at least that is what I seem to notice from (very) general reading

quite where the 'billions' of dollars have gone seems a bit strange to the masses, when a reasonable facsimile can be made with a mobile phone, some cardboard  ;) and free software

Cheers Dakpilot

There is no doubt that PC VR will be expensive for early adopters, but PC VR is good enough now, that people who can't afford it will wish they could.  The CV1 has been coming of the assembly lines since September, and all of them sold out in 15 minutes.

3D TV isn't good example.   There is huge difference in looking at a BOX with 3D, and actually entering the 3D world.   Not to mention that VR headsets do a far better implementation of 3D, than TV sets.

Edited by JG27_Chivas

I am usually very impulsive about these things, but I am flying bombers, spent about 2 -3 000 $ on hardware and time building everything. OR is useless if you get my panels and fly bombers. I love the sims that do not support this. 

I am not willig to pay 600 € + tax + shipping and even more for a gtx 980 Titan, because I am not going for minimum specs . Just for flying Warthunder and DCS .

It is too soon, all hardware need to go cheaper. and I need a second fighter rig

but for WW2 type sims, the distance resolution might have to be much better.   That said, there is still hope that the current custom VR displays, and custom optic lenses, may make up for some the low resolution issues.

2 of my buddies are using the Oculus Rift, and they don't have any problem in DCS what so ever,talking about WW2, where it's all about spotting. One of them was not bad before. By now, within half a year he has become an unbelievable shot, and regularly downs 4 or 5 planes in one sortie in the Dogs of War or Burning Skies servers. They have allowed small model enhancement. That's enough for the Oculus Rift to spot the planes quite as well as with a monitor. The one thing, where he says the Oculus is miles ahead a normal monitor, is estimating the range to another fighter. His quote "deflection shooting with the Oculus is so much easier...you actually know exactly, what angle to choose to hit the other plane".

Another buddy of mine, who could barely land a Huey on a 100m x 100m place, now lands on destroyers within 1 minute, no problem. Same saying "estimating the range to things, like buildings, the ground, etc is so much better in the Oculus". So you can even use the first CV of Oculus in Flight sims, when good implemented (like in DCS).

The shock was only for people who didn't inform themselves properly. I expected a price around that (told my buddy that i guess it will cost 700€).

The first Oculus CV was never meant to be for the people who now "wait and see". They weren't their target group in the first place (for now). 

To become a must have in the mass market, it will surely take a lot longer, at least 3 years. But that was clear from the very beginning (at least for me). 

New tech is for the performers, and they don't care about how much it costs. If they want that Tech, they will buy/preorder it anyway. A few hundred bucks more or less is pretty immaterial for them.

In regards of the flight sim genre, it will become a must be. There is no genre, where the Oculus fits any better then in flight sim. Everyone i know who owns an Oculus by now, stopped pretty much playing everything not Oculus ready. That tells us enough i guess, of how important it will be for a Sim to implement this. The more people get an Oculus, the less people will play stuff that is not VR ready (including this Sim). And i think, the Oculus reaches the mass of flight sim enthusiasts way way sooner, then the real "mass market". Reason is easy: flight simmers tend to have a good rig, to properly enjoy their (demanding) Sims. They also own already high-priced hardware, like TrackIR, pedals, joysticks. In other words, they (most of them) are willing to pay considerable money, to up their simulation experience. Now there is a device, that brings flight simming on a complete new level. Way more enhancement then just a powerful rig, where you can up your graphics, or a good Joystick like the TM Warthog. I think it won't take too long (doesn't mean in the next two month), that the majority of flight simmers will have a VR device. And at that point, anything which is not compatible with VR, will surely die. I see it already happening now, even for people who used to say "Bos is way superior to DCS" or something in that wavelength.

uite where the 'billions' of dollars have gone seems a bit strange to the masses, when a reasonable facsimile can be made with a mobile phone, some cardboard  and free software

Because the masses have no idea about it, like usual. You can't compare a normal mobile phone display with Oculus what so ever. Even the devkit 2 has a way more enhanced display, than a normal smartphone. The CV will have an OLED screen (no more "screendoor effect", especially important for flight sims) with 90Hz refresh rate. That's not the cheapest tech currently. I suggest you to read up about OLED, if you wanna learn about it, and understand the current price of the Oculus. 

In addition there is all the R&D, which is normally payed by the performers to a huge extent (true for every new tech by the way). It's not only about the production costs. 

The "masses" might not understand this. The "masses" don't understand, how the economy, especially tech based economy works. 

It's always the same story like "the production costs haven been bla bla, we are paying ten times more". They have no idea, that there are a lot more costs for a company then just the unit production costs.

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*
  • Upvote 1

2 of my buddies are using the Oculus Rift, and they don't have any problem in DCS what so ever,talking about WW2, where it's all about spotting. One of them was not bad before. By now, within half a year he has become an unbelievable shot, and regularly downs 4 or 5 planes in one sortie in the Dogs of War or Burning Skies servers. They have allowed small model enhancement. That's enough for the Oculus Rift to spot the planes quite as well as with a monitor. The one thing, where he says the Oculus is miles ahead a normal monitor, is estimating the range to another fighter. His quote "deflection shooting with the Oculus is so much easier...you actually know exactly, what angle to choose to hit the other plane". Another buddy of mine, who could barely land a Huey on a 100m x 100m place, now lands on destroyers within 1 minute, no problem. Same saying "estimating the range to things, like buildings, the ground, etc is so much better in the Oculus". So you can even use the first CV of Oculus in Flight sims, when good implemented (like in DCS).

There is no doubt that the depth perception VR provides will help most people in every aspect of flying and shooting.   My point was that the low resolution displays and relatively poor optic lenses of the DK2 make the sims long distance visuals, and cockpit gauge reading far less than optimal.    I have the DK2, and have ordered the CV1 arriving in March, but would never recommend the DK2 to anyone other than a developer.  

Chivas, My example of 3D TV was not in a comparison to VR, simply a tech that has had 'billions' spent developing it, I understand the difference and hope VR becomes mainstream  ;)

Manu, AMOLED has been around since 2008 more than 6 companies use it in their mobile phones today. It is still hard to see where the often quoted 'Billions' of Facebook Dollars has gone, (in Development) other than to purchase rights

My point being that VR needs to get into the mainstream quickly, not just the tiny market of 'high end enthusiast early adopter'

The higher price WAS much more than the majority of interested parties were expecting, and has brought a bit of a backlash regardless of whether deserved, not what was needed at this stage

with other competitors developing I just get the feeling that Oculus has failed to sail with the tide, or missed the boat.

Personally my opinion is that driving/racing sims will find a better market, a much larger genre, VR enhancements make even more sense, depth perception, situational awareness etc. with less drawbacks of simpler controls, and Race sim users spend much more on average on hardware than flight sim folks

with a vastly larger player/user base (although usually as cantankerous as flight simmers  :biggrin: )

Cheers Dakpilot

Manu, AMOLED has been around since 2008 more than 6 companies use it in their mobile phones today

But not with 90 Hz,not the resolution, not nearly in the quality the Rift is coming

It is still hard to see where the often quoted 'Billions' of Facebook Dollars has gone, (in Development) other than to purchase rights

For you possibly. Without an insight, of how thinks work in tech companies, it will always be hard for you, to analyze, where the money goes.

My point being that VR needs to get into the mainstream quickly, not just the tiny market of 'high end enthusiast early adopter'

No it does not at all. The companies behind, like Facebook or Valve have a huge income anyway, they are in no way dependent of VR. They can well wait 5 years for VR to be in the black. If that means, that by then they have numerous patents, and advanced technology, and in around 10 or 15 years they will be what Intel is now for processors, then they have made a damn good job. The most successful companies are the ones who think in the future the most.

The higher price WAS much more than the majority of interested parties were expecting, and has brought a bit of a backlash

That doesn't hurt Oculus or VR in any way. The products will get cheaper, the people who now moan around will buy it anyway then.

with other competitors developing I just get the feeling that Oculus has failed to sail with the tide, or missed the boat

how that? The "other competitors" apparently have even higher prices..HTV Vive is rumoured to be around 1500 dollar. StarVR won't be finished for quite a while, but probably the highest-priced VR device. Only Playstation VR will probably be cheaper..but with much worse quality, and also not a competitor for the PC. I'd rather say, Oculus will be the cheapest in price-performance, because they are the only ones who can afford to artificially push prices downwards.

Personally my opinion is that driving/racing sims will find a better market, a much larger genre

The market for car sims is definitely bigger, then for "classic" flight sims. However, if you look at the sales figures for space sims - 1,4 millions sold copies for Elite Dangerous, Eve Valkyrie, especially designed for VR, and Star Citizen around the corner (+ numerous more from independet developers, ranging from pure arcade, to extreme DCS-like realism), i think Space Sims are to become the biggest market for VR by far. 

Personally my opinion is that driving/racing sims will find a better market, VR enhancements make even more sense, depth perception, situational awareness etc. with less drawbacks of simpler controls

Disagree. While it will be a huge upgrade for race sims as well, the experience will be far beyond in space or flight sims, flying in a 3D environment will always be more sensational, then just driving. 

and Race sim users spend much more on average on hardware than flight sim folks

No they don't. Being a race simmer myself, i can tell you i spent around the same for my racing sim gear, then for my flight sim stuff. And apart form the really crazy stuff, like Akkuforce wheels and hydraulic brakes, i have pretty much the best equip there is. Both of the genres are for enthusiasts, and both types are willing to spend more or less money. In both sim scenes i have met people who spend 100€ for their gear, or 600. There is no difference. 

A crappy four hundred dollar headset, would kill VR far quicker than a decent six hundred dollar VR experience.   Smartphone hardware made it possible to create an experience good enough for investors to see the huge possibilities for VR, but it wasn't good enough for a consumer version PC VR.  The three hundred and fifty DK2 proved that.   The partnership with Facebook allowed them a huge increase in first class technicians and monies to create the custom headset necessary to make it good enough.    Off the shelf smartphones displays weren't good enough, so they partnered, and helped Samsung create the GearVR for access to Samsung's ability to build a custom VR quality OLED display at a reasonable pricepoint.  

Like I said its unfortunate that the pricepoint had to rise beyond some hopeful early adopter means, it is what it is, but certainly not enough to kill VR.  I don't see any VR headset of the quality of the Rift, being sold cheaper by any other company.   Infact it turned out to be still cheaper than a decent monitor, and a TrackIR headset,  while giving ten times the immersion.

I guess the funniest part of the price announcement is when you go back and look at how the initial pitch looked - 

Luckey: I’m one of the few people where it’s different. I would spend whatever it was. Gamers are not known to be the most affluent population of people. If something’s even $600, it doesn’t matter how good it is, how great of an experience it is — if they just can’t afford it, then it really might as well not exist. We’re going for the mainstream, but time will tell what the market is.

Mitchell: A big part of it’s going to be the content. If it’s only Call of Duty 9, it’s only going to be the niche hardcore gamers. If we can get other stuff on there, which I think we’re already making exciting progress on, I think it’s going to be a lot broader. The three tenets for us are immersion, wearability and affordability. If we can nail those three things, that’s the killer combination that makes it a consumer VR device.

Luckey: The other thing is, it’s possible to make better hardware if you sell it at that lower price point. When you can sell thousands of something, or tens or hundreds or millions of something, you can afford to put better components into it than if you were only making a hundred of these things for $10,000 each. There are people who’ve said, “You should sell a version with better specs for $1,000,” but it’d be better to sell it for $200 and sell more of them.

and having the core VR supporters eat $600 unquestioningly - having had absolutely no reasoning or discussion of any kind in pricing between then and now - is some deep cult-like behaviour.  At a guess, Oculous got scared of Sony being able to deliver a better product than they could if they both went for a lower TCO setup, so they switched to a higher end product (with Vive taking it to true veblen goods path).  I think it probably screws anyone who was counting on it being some mass market platform, as it was pitched to begin with, or had any kind of projection for sales based on a minimum market size.

If you suddenly found out that due to "technical reasons" VR will cost $1200 and only worked on a yacht you'd be only marginally more screwed.

• Upvote 1

1. But not with 90 Hz,not the resolution, not nearly in the quality the Rift is coming

2. The market for car sims is definitely bigger, then for "classic" flight sims. However, if you look at the sales figures for space sims - 1,4 millions sold copies for Elite Dangerous, Eve Valkyrie, especially designed for VR, and Star Citizen around the corner (+ numerous more from independet developers, ranging from pure arcade, to extreme DCS-like realism), i think Space Sims are to become the biggest market for VR by far. 

3. Disagree. While it will be a huge upgrade for race sims as well, the experience will be far beyond in space or flight sims, flying in a 3D environment will always be more sensational, then just driving. 

4. No they don't. Being a race simmer myself, i can tell you i spent around the same for my racing sim gear, then for my flight sim stuff. And apart form the really crazy stuff, like Akkuforce wheels and hydraulic brakes, i have pretty much the best equip there is. Both of the genres are for enthusiasts, and both types are willing to spend more or less money. In both sim scenes i have met people who spend 100€ for their gear, or 600. There is no difference.

5. For you possibly. Without an insight, of how thinks work in tech companies, it will always be hard for you, to analyze, where the money goes.

1. Oled screens with 2560 X 1440 have been out for years, I am looking right now at my 4k screen cellphone...

2. Am sure space sims already are/will  be big, but the recent Project Cars seems to have sold more than Elite

3. Sure space sims will be more sensational but the real benefits of proper depth of field and situational awareness have huge benefits for accurate driving/racing in race sims

4. Perhaps I should have been more careful with my words, a mid range FFB wheel, pedals and wheel stand are way more than mid range combat flight sim gear, high end gear is not even comparable to what is available for Combat flight sims

5. Not even worth a response...do you actually try to be belittling and rude on purpose or is it just a language thing?  

Hopefully in two or three years when BoS gets a DX upgrade VR will have become mainstream, hardware cheaper and software better able to utilize it (DX12/13?)

seeing as the tone has gone from just discussion..am out of this one for now

Cheers Dakpilot

1. Oled screens with 2560 X 1440 have been out for years, I am looking right now at my 4k screen cellphone...

If a smartphone screen would have been good enough, they would have used one. They did with the DK2, realized that it won't be good enough, and developed one especially for VR themselves. What's so hard to understand there?

2. Am sure space sims already are/will  be big, but the recent Project Cars seems to have sold more than Elite

Project Cars is no car sim. If you call that a car sim, War Thunder is a flight sim. By the way, War Thunder is played by more people then Project Cars, and in addition it is VR compatible, whereas Project Cars is not.

Sure space sims will be more sensational but the real benefits of proper depth of field and situational awareness have huge benefits for accurate driving/racing in race sims

Not really. Professional racing sim drivers know the points, where they have to break, accelerate, etc by head. Friend of mine is semi-professional racing driver IRL, and also racing simmer, and he doesn't get a millisecond faster with VR. The most benefit you get out of VR is in flight sim..i already explained above, what i mean in particular.

Perhaps I should have been more careful with my words, a mid range FFB wheel, pedals and wheel stand are way more than mid range combat flight sim gear, high end gear is not even comparable to what is available for Combat flight sims

Disagree. Car sim stuff has become way more expensive lately. Mid-range FFB wheel+pedals like Logitech G27 cost 200 bucks a year ago. Same like an X52, without pedals. High end..well there is no high end to buy for flight simmers. As for car drivers, this stuff is for professional racing drivers..not really for "normal" customers. Hard to compare. Qualitywise a Warthog is comparable with a Thrustmaster T300..and they are also the same regarding price. The average race simmer doesn't spend more money for his gear then the average flight simmer.

5. Not even worth a response...do you actually try to be belittling and rude on purpose or is it just a language thing?  

No i am not trying to be rude, but if people always think they have to comment, or even evaluate things where they have no idea what so ever (like the art of expenses of a VR tech company) that's exactly the answer they deserve. I have seen balance sheets of various companies, and there are type of costs you can't even imagine, when you are not in the branch. 

Just a small example - 90% of the expanses of an average European medical technology company are documentation. Nothing else. No R&D, no production costs, no merchandising. Documentation. Yet people tend to say "that piece of plastic can never be worth...." This never gets old.

Sorry, but such a short-sighted statement like yours deserves no different answer. I didn't insult you, or something. Just showing you, that one shouldn't judge about stuff where one has no idea about. 

Two things

1. those OLED 2560x1440 displays don't have the custom VR features required, and no one new what VR features would have to be baked into those displays until recently.  

2. if you wanted to drive people away from VR that 2560x1440 display would certainly help.   It would require are far more powerful and expensive PC to drive that resolution.   Never mind the display having poor VR qualities. 

It obviously doesn't make it true, but it interesting that......

Goldman Sachs says VR will be bigger than TV in 10 years

....thats just on the hardware side.  Add in the software side and it will be over double the size of the TV market......

Edited by JG27_Chivas