I/JG27_Nemesis

One Year BoS - and still NO COOP Missions or Online War

Roboin did you fly Hyperlobby CoOps in the old days with us?

The point is that for that particular instance of reality, (that mission with those pilots/players)  you have one life and you treat it differently because that mission, that one instance of reality only exists during that short time span.

You're suspending disbelief, it's just a different mind set. Of course you can join another mission later, that's not the point.

No, I didn't.  And that is completely irrelevant.  I value my virtual life now.  Then I spawn back in after I'm killed.  Same as coop players.  There is absolutely no difference whatsoever.   

No, I didn't.

That's the only part of your answer that matters....nuff said.

Without the point of reference, it cant' be explained to you.

• Upvote 2

flew hundreds of missions in coop style play with bros and made over a hundred more. nothing beats it. flew the doolittle raid. endless historical missions/scenarios.

cant wait to get the gameplay style back

• Upvote 1

I/JG27_Nemesis - Those were some fun Saturday and Sundays! I stopped flying on HL after I was held hostage with Ransomeware, my guess is the developers shortsightedness of displaying IP address in game exposed me to someone with IT smarts,  too much time on their hands but no knowledge of pricing strategies. The a##hat wanted $5K in Bitcoin to unlock my "funbox", but I figured it would cost the same to build a new and even better "funbox" instead. I fly offline now and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Maybe with a VPN connection and when the object rendering issues have been fixed those days will return. 

That's the only part of your answer that matters....nuff said.

Without the point of reference, it cant' be explained to you.

No need to explain anything.  I have flown many thousands of missions online.  I've flown coop in RoF.  There is absolutely nothing about coops that make them any different.  You do whatever you can to survive.  You die.  You start a new mission.  Same in both.  Period.

No need to explain anything.  I have flown many thousands of missions online.  I've flown coop in RoF.  There is absolutely nothing about coops that make them any different.  You do whatever you can to survive.  You die.  You start a new mission.  Same in both.  Period.

I hear you...just a mind-set thing like I said.

You can certainly have the same mind-set in either type of mission...that's an individual thing.

In the old CoOps we flew you couldn't just re-spawn in the same mission.

In the old CoOps we flew you couldn't just re-spawn in the same mission.

A difference without a distinction.  There really is no difference between respawning in the same mission or going into another server.  When I fly it's a different "mission" every time I take off.  I join up with the guys that I normally fly with, and we're back into the fight.  If I was magically transferred to another server, I'd barely notice the difference.

Only if you never play the game again after you get killed. Otherwise it's no different from the people that respawn. It changes nothing.

If that changes nothing how you can explain success of predecessor ?

There are two faces to this coop aspect: the way people behave, and the technical features.

There is no guarantee that providing similar technical means will produce the same behaviour. However, I'm still looking forward to coop for two reasons:

1. No-struggle server starts. It shouldn't take an IT engineering degree to set up a session to play with a handful of friends
  2. Better integration of player and AIs in a mission

About the no-respawn rule: I don't think it necessarily leads to more realistic behaviour. War Thunder had that for its sim battles and sim events. What it lead to was people ignoring ground objectives, because once you had killed all the enemy's planes the mission is over with a win.

What you want is people caring for their virtual lives, and obviously single-life is one way to achieve that. No respawn is actually stricter, and I would say maybe too strict. I hope the coop mode will allow for late joins and taking over an AI mid-flight. I'm sure some will want to have that disabled, but I hope it will be an option.

Then there is also the fact that ground attackers have little control over their survival. If your objective is covered by AA, your trip may be over quickly, and it's not due to recklessness on your part.

Edited by coconut
  • Upvote 2

A difference without a distinction. There really is no difference between respawning in the same mission or going into another server. When I fly it's a different "mission" every time I take off. I join up with the guys that I normally fly with, and we're back into the fight. If I was magically transferred to another server, I'd barely notice the difference.

If you respawn in a dogfight mission you can continue to have impact on that mission and other combatants in their missions. In coop, when you are eliminated, you can no longer contribute to the outcome of that mission or any others in that instance.

Your out.

You head to another coop server ready to start again, and you have wingmen waiting for you. A coordinated flight ready to go. In a dogfight server, most don't wait and there is no forced wait. Most typically get back up in the air ASAP to try help out again.

If that changes nothing how you can explain success of predecessor ?

There used to be people in the RoF forum that felt the same way as you. And there was lots of crying about how MP would be so much better with a good coop server. So they set one up. It was active for almost 2 weeks. Then it was empty. Never to be active again.

Coops were active in HL because there were lots of people playing the game. When you got killed you could jump right into another mission right away. In a less active environment the coop servers will be dead.

If you respawn in a dogfight mission you can continue to have impact on that mission and other combatants in their missions.

I suspect that most people don’t really care about the overall mission. The ones that care about surviving want to bomb the target or shoot down any enemy that they can find. But most don’t really care about who “wins” a mission.

There used to be people in the RoF forum that felt the same way as you. And there was lots of crying about how MP would be so much better with a good coop server. So they set one up. It was active for almost 2 weeks. Then it was empty. Never to be active again.

Wrong , I never think about RoF coop as successful or hope to make mp better as you said.

Wrong , I never think about RoF coop as successful or hope to make mp better as you said.

No, I’m not wrong. The situation as I described it is EXACTLY what happened.

There used to be people in the RoF forum that felt the same way as you.

You wrong about me thinking that about RoF coop.

No, I’m not wrong. The situation as I described it is EXACTLY what happened.

Yes the situation we all know - nothing new and we don't want to history repeat itself again, do we?

Edited by 307_Tomcat

You wrong about me thinking that about RoF coop.

There were people on the RoF forum saying the exact same things that you’re saying about coop here. Then they set up a coop server. Within 2 weeks it was completely dead.

So, if it was possible TODAY: How do we gather pilots and make them join a mission with separate briefings, just one plane / life each, and start all at the same time? Let stats alone, but HOW is this possible??? Please write facts we can check, I would be glad if it was possible. But if it is - why not announce it or designate it Coop? Oleg had Coop and Dogfight servers separate...

And frankly, I disagree that Teamspeak is better than HL. You cannot see 500+ pilots in one TS server. And you cannot chat PM real time without HL. And for sure you don't want ALL Pilots on one TS room. Would create chaos. It is still in 2016 the best tool I know. No stupid advertizing like with Steam, small neat program that does what it should. Jiri deserves a Virtual Pilots Hall of Fame award for it.

And the chat and Player tab in BoS is far from handy...

To claim Coops are already possible today - It's like saying, yes, apple iphone makes open source possible, you just have to root it and use unofficial hacks then you can make your online war work, isn't it?

Hi. I also have captures of that time. In this image you see pilots of Spanish squadrons in all the squares of the TEAM that were like the COOP. I have always been 1 / Span_Wind, but in this simulator they did not let me use my nick of all life because it seems that there was already someone with Wind of alias.

I agree that the COOPs have been the best missions in which I participated as a virtual pilot in the IL-2.

Can someone tell me how you can gather more than 676 pilots in the TS? It is impossible!! An HL can do it!

DZ_1%5B9%5D.png

Well, coops are great, but until this mission builder becomes a bit more user friendly, I don't see a large selection of Coop missions in BoX like we saw in the legacy IL2.............  So lets hope a wish for a more user friendly Mission builder format.

Cheers

Hoss

It's clear that someone doesn't know what Nemesis is talking about.
Without Hyperlobby, without the BADC (Bellum War system from which many of the various online wars have been made) and without the coops (for now) BoS is a Formula 1 car that is forced to run in a car parking...

S!

It's clear that someone doesn't know what Nemesis is talking about.Without Hyperlobby, without the BADC (Bellum War system from which many of the various online wars have been made) and without the coops (for now) BoS is a Formula 1 car that is forced to run in a car parking...

S!

100% correct.

Question - Can we play IL-2 on Hyper Lobby?

В 05.01.2016 в 01:24, I/JG27_Nemesis сказал:

Full Realistic COOP Missions (w/ online wars) and HyperLobby were the heart and soul of the pilots Community of IL-2 Sturmovik by Oleg Maddox.

Coop Mode was available from Day 1, and forged the Community together in glorious online wars, who the pilots who fought in them will never forget.

Why is COOP mode much more fun and much more rewarding and much more motivating than simply joining a stupid dogfight server and shoot down or crash like theres no tomorrow?

Well:

1. First of all - Community Feeling - players who were NOT joined in a mission, could chat with each other, and meet up with friends in Hyper Lobby, enter Mission rooms, before you get into the cockpit! - participate in "virtual pilots life" while on the ground - check statistics and front line, feel involved.....this important part does NOT (yet) exist with BoS or BoM!  Big no-no! 
Do you think eye candy will keep pilots flying and buying? It is MOTIVATION and FUN of compelling Coop missions and online war, and Hyper Lobby Community with real-time presence display, see who is there, meetup in Mission Rooms, real time chat and private pager messages!
2. It is a completely different level of immersion to fly a coop Mission in an online war with full realism, full-blown pilots statistics, front line, and outcome of the missions fought will change the progress or even outcome of the online war.
3. You can check the mission briefing, reserve your own personal aircraft (which only exists one time, once you take a seat in it - you got it, before any action has even started - wheres BoS makes you even lose an aircraft reservation while selecting your loadout, and when you want to hit fly - the "reserved" aircraft is gone and you're left with nothing!!!) 
4. You can check your opposition - who is there to fight with and against you in the mission you're about to fly?
5. Most importantly: you start START AT THE SAME TIME as all other pilots, noone can have a huge advantage and vulch you right as you get into the cockpit.
6. Everyone has JUST ONE LIFE, one aircraft, one load of fuel and ammo, and the necessity to achieve a mission goal and BRING YOUR AIRCRAFT HOME!!!
7. The Results of the Mission will be logged in the online war (if the Coop Mission is part of it), which makes you living a historical Pilots online career!! If you die just ONE TIME - its gone! You will start from zero! That makes dogfighting a whole different story, because you try to stay alive, return to base - or go MIA or KIA - much better feel and immersion than just joining a stupid dogfight server with tons of kamikaze pilots who couldn't care less about crashing into each other again and again and again...
8. Participating in online wars coop mission system enables a pilot to join a virtual squadron, feel like being part of something big, earn respect and honor among friends and enemies.
9. The combination of that keeps the community alive and healthy. However, just pointlessly dogfighting forever will kill any long-term motivation to fly the sim or even buy add-ons.

C'mon Devs! What are you thinking ignoring all this said above???

I mean c'mon =FB=VikS, you are today part of the devs, tell them what made you constantly fly VEF Mission after VEF mission!!

For those who don't know long time Pilots like VikS or me, VikS is member of the Flying Barans Squad, and flew over 635 Missions in VEF, in which he shot down more than 1358 Fighters plus 258 Bombers......and I myself, I'm former III/JG26Nemesis, today I/JG27_Nemesis, and I've flown over 584 missions in IOW, shot down over 1111 enemy Aircraft in just IOW (theses Numbers are no Typo!; however my max. streak was "just" 113 without a single KIA or MIA, dunno sure about VikS' max. Streak), and it was GREAT FUN! And after IOW, I continued Flying in the online wars IOW2, VOW, VOW2, VEF, VEF2, AW, AW2...... it was brilliant to fight in an online war if done right!

Do you think VikS or Nemesis would have fought endless battles, mission after mission if it were just stupid dogfight servers and their results were not recorded or even meaningful in any way, as everyone could just respawn over and over and kills / deaths / destroyed targets were not even counted???

It were these intense Coop Battles, one vs one, no respawn, no second chance, man vs man, aircraft vs aircraft, riding on the knife edge....when I met an enemy pilot, I knew who it was, and these battles made ace pilots like =FB=VikS earn my highest respect, cause he definitely is one of the best pilots in the world!

Think about it.....

That's the one key element missing in todays simulations, creating an environment where you really feel like being a pilot. Which were the roots of where they came from - a real career like 1991 red baron, just with real pilots, both friend and foe, around you.

There is no way around this in order to creating a healthy online community: Give the pilots motivation and make them meet and interact with each other while on the ground, go to war in COOP Missions without respawn......or sadly end like so many other sims that failed to capture the heart and soul of the virtual pilot.

Hoping to get heard by the devs (in their best interest),

I/JG27_Nemesis  <S>

Attachment: For pilots who were not as fortunate to experience this "golden age of flight sim" life, here you can see some Scenes of better days of the flight sim community:

xwf78W.jpg

7dcHPg.jpg

sntWGx.jpg
Viv802.jpg
 O4ewfA.jpg
0oUAUN.jpg
Y3lDL4.jpg
RylsAF.jpg
ijg8Pv.jpg

There is no problem to launch missions with a one-time start, statistics and a global front line. When it was done by enthusiasts of the STARSHOY and Valera, but now anyone can do it. All the tools for this are. If you love VEF so much, do it yourself (VEF1 was done in a week), or let's do it together.

So it is 2020 and we still do not have a proper matchmaking system in IL-2...

• Sad 1